Play the youth?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Play the youth?

Do you think Red Sox Nation would accept a small market approach to 2012, in the sense of throwing youth into the lineup, and letting it sink or swim? Keep in mind the Red Sox successfully did that with Trot Nixon and Dustin Pedroia, both of whom got off to bad starts in the majors. Should the team do it with Lavarnway at catcher or DH, Igelsias at short, Middlebrooks at third, and some combination of Reddick and Kalish in right? I think it could work, especially if the money saved went towards significant upgrades to the pitching staff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Play the youth?

In Response to Play the youth?:
    [QUOTE]Do you think Red Sox Nation would accept a small market approach to 2012, in the sense of throwing youth into the lineup, and letting it sink or swim? Keep in mind the Red Sox successfully did that with Trot Nixon and Dustin Pedroia, both of whom got off to bad starts in the majors. Should the team do it with Lavarnway at catcher or DH, Igelsias at short, Middlebrooks at third, and some combination of Reddick and Kalish in right? I think it could work, especially if the money saved went towards significant upgrades to the pitching staff.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

The fans would rather watch them in Pawtucket for a lot less

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I'd keep a 2 rookie maximum, not counting pitchers...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Middlebrooks, yes.  Lavarnway, yes.  No on Iglesias.  He is not ready for prime time.  Scutaro's option should be picked up and Boegarts given the chance to move up to AA and see how he compares with Iglesias's progress.  My guess is that Boegarts ends up being the SS of the future, and NOT Iglesias. 

Reddick, Kalish, Linares, Lin, Hassan, Hazelbaker are all possibilities to provide more RF offense than Drew did this year.  If the Sox can improve their pitching then using youngsters in RF, C, and 3B would be fine.  The drop off in offensive production would NOT be that substantial considering the Salty, Youk and Drew contributed so inconsistently in 2011.  And the improved pitching should get the team off to the fast start that insures the fans return to Fenway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

parhunter-excellent post and thanks for bringing the name Xander Boegarts to my attention. I follow the Sox Minor League but I overlooked him. He sounds like he might be a diamond in the rough. 16 homers in Greenville in 72 games for a SS is pretty good. He just turned 19. Perhaps they will fast track him from Greenville to Salem early then have him arrive in Portland by July.

I'm hoping Middlebrooks can be a player--he has some tools--Lavarnway is smart enough to be a capable catcher and a pretty good hitter. They have to make the committment to get younger at some point---this could be the year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I would hope this is the year.  Last season was a big splash with two huge acquisitions (Gonzalez and Crawford) and it created buzz, but the results were not there.  I would be excited to watch the team with Middlebrooks and Lavarnway vying for playing time.  Then Youk could be moved, either to DH and let Papi go, or in a trade, and the resources used to shore up the pitching, which definitely needs upgrading.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

If the Sox really want to play the youth card rather than make major investments on guys that lose something when they start getting the big money then here are my thoughts on the matter...
    • Middlebrooks - I think he's still a year away and I don't want to rush the kid and end up having an adverse impact on his development - I say retan Youk for at least one more season.
    • Iglesias - I don't know if this kid will ever be a complete major league player, he can field the position but hasn't yet shown any offensive abilities - I say use Scutaro/Lowrie combo until this Iglisias or Bogaerts prove they are ready.
    • Lavarnway - This kid probably will hit and hopefully can learn some better catching techniques to share the catchers job with Salty in 2012 - Time to bid farewell to Varitek.
    • Reddick - I think this kid should be used as a trade chip as although he did a decent job last year with the Sox I think we saw some flaws in his game by the end of the year.
    • Kalish/Linares - If these two kids are ready to resume playing I think platooning them in RF might be where youth plays a trump card.
    I believe that is pretty much the extent of available minor leaguers that could possibly help the 2012 Red Sox on an everyday basis. I guess Doubront and Wieland might be able to contribute to the team as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Don't forget Bowden.  Down the stretch he would have been a better option than Matt Albers.  Francona stuck with Albers for far too long.  He could also do the job Atchison was paid to do, and for less, IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think Bowden may be a good spot guy to get a batter. He has shown improvement--I would etill prefer Atch or Albers over Bowden.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Play the youth?:
    [QUOTE]If the Sox really want to play the youth card rather than make major investments on guys that lose something when they start getting the big money then here are my thoughts on the matter... Middlebrooks - I think he's still a year away and I don't want to rush the kid and end up having an adverse impact on his development - I say retan Youk for at least one more season. Iglesias - I don't know if this kid will ever be a complete major league player, he can field the position but hasn't yet shown any offensive abilities - I say use Scutaro/Lowrie combo until this Iglisias or Bogaerts prove they are ready. Lavarnway - This kid probably will hit and hopefully can learn some better catching techniques to share the catchers job with Salty in 2012 - Time to bid farewell to Varitek. Reddick - I think this kid should be used as a trade chip as although he did a decent job last year with the Sox I think we saw some flaws in his game by the end of the year. Kalish/Linares - If these two kids are ready to resume playing I think platooning them in RF might be where youth plays a trump card. I believe that is pretty much the extent of available minor leaguers that could possibly help the 2012 Red Sox on an everyday basis. I guess Doubront and Wieland might be able to contribute to the team as well.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]I pretty much agree with this assessment, although I think I like Weiland more as a reliever than as a starter and Doubront needs to come to camp in shape.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I don't think the Sox will go out on a limb for more FAs...they are not very good judges of talent in that respect.  Best guess is that the Sox will buy up some one year Theo types (low risk/high reward) that he was so unsuccessful at getting.  Also some of the farm talent will have a real shot at sink or swim and that farm pool is not a real exciting bunch - however maybe a bit of cream will find the top.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In Response to Re: Play the youth?:
    [QUOTE]I would hope this is the year.  Last season was a big splash with two huge acquisitions (Gonzalez and Crawford) and it created buzz, but the results were not there.  I would be excited to watch the team with Middlebrooks and Lavarnway vying for playing time.  Then Youk could be moved, either to DH and let Papi go, or in a trade, and the resources used to shore up the pitching, which definitely needs upgrading.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]
     Youk had an awful year and Papi had a good one, so I don't get how moving Youk to DH and letting Papi go improves the team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Par Hunter and Soxdog67,

Very good reading.  I am ever hopeful of our farm prospects, perhaps too much so.  But I like what I read about Middlebrooks.  I really like what Sutcliffe said about Lavarnway in some of the late tv games.  (He's got big leagues written all over him.  He's going to make a {big} difference.)  I know we have Iggy-mania in a lot of places and I love a smooth glove, but we have seen how an anemic bat can kill many a rally. 

Thanks for the other insights.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Let Reddick and Kalish fight it out for RF.  Don't sign a RF and use that money to get a pitcher.

Inglesias should challenge for the SS job - but he needs to improve the hitting.  But if he is close in terms of production to Scutaro in the spring - then let him have the job.

No reason to rush Lavarnaway - but he and Salty could split time.

Middlebrooks will get his shot if the sox trade Youks - which I still say is their best trade bait.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Play the youth on the mound!

Alex Wilson, though I haven't seen him pitch, is not your typical minor league prospect, he pitched for Texas A&M , drafted first by the Cubs then the Sox in '09.

He will be 25 next week--it's time he get's a serious look.

Anthony Rinaudo---is another not so young starter whose innings and pitch counts have been monitored in low and high A ball. Hopefully we'll see him in Portland this Spring.

Matt Barnes from UCONN is another guy who really hasn't thrown any minor league innings after pitching probably a great number of college innings.

I am really excited about these three guys. In addition to Felix Doubrount and the possile return of Rich Hill from TJS hopefully by July 1. Hill had 12 K's in 8 innings before his injury last Spring. This could be a huge addition to the pen or starting rotattion. Hill is roughly 31  and a Bostonian.

I think, if it were me as the GM, I would groom Weiland as a one inning set up guy--perhaps a closer like he was at Notre Dame.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ghost of Tiante. Show Ghost of Tiante's posts

David, I agree with you. Trying to buy a WS just does not seem to work out real well. Something strange with Sox fans and even Sox management. You constantly hear that our minor leaguers are to young and not ready. Whats too young and not ready? Seems we want to buy guys when they hit their so called prime. Has not been working real well for us has it? I say its time to let the kids play, i dont care what their age is or if they are not quite ready. Time to give those 19-23 year olds their shot. I honestly dont believe they can do any worse than what we have seen in the last couple of years. Heck maybe a couple of them will give as some excitement.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Since we have Scooter at SS for one more season, there's no need for Iggy to rush since he was struggling badly with his bat.  Lavarnway should not get the fulltime job behind the plate next season.  The only reason is injury.  IMO, catcher is the position which is the most open to getting serious injuries especially at the young age.  ( Carlos Santana and Buster Posey are the perfect ex.)  I don't disagree with Lavarnway playing every game but he has to DH most of his time.  He's going to back up Salty every 3-4th day and DH on other days.  Middlesbrook should get the everyday 3B job unless Sox signs 3Ber this offseason.  That will allow Youk to DH and play 1B if AGon needs a rest once in a while. 

2012 should be

Scutaro fulltime at SS Iggy backing up

Middlesbrook fulltime at 3B

Youk at DH and back up AGon once in a while

Salty fulltime at C Lavarnway backing up and DH when Youk is either resting or backing up 1B

AGon DHing when Lavarnway isn't available and Youk is plaing 1B

* all scenario based upon Papi walking away

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I really would like to see some of the Youth get a shot to break with the team next year. I think Lavarnway needs to be there, as well as Reddick and/or Kalish. Middlebrooks would have to really impress in Spring. Iglesias, I do not think is ready at all, and agree keeping Scuts one more year is a better option. As for the Pitchers, I would like to see Doubront get a shot as a starter(would rather leave Aceves in the pen) and I think Bowden has more side than Atchison, so I would rather see him get a shot in the pen. If we do not go out and sign another top line starter, would also see if any of the other kids impress in spring,,,,much rather they get a taste of the majors to see if they are the real deal then sign somebody elses discarded 5th starter.

Sections
Shortcuts