players u want to see go.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

players u want to see go.

name 4-5 players that u believe u should go.

1. lackey -total disaster. not fit for Boston.

2. drew -he will retire. so this one is given.

3. mcdonald -just not good enough for this team. good guy tho

4. youkilis -often injured. not clutch and has value.

5. lowrie -big fan of lowrie, but we cant count on him. this one hurts.

I'm willing to give Crawford another year. He trully cares about earnings his money and will return to form.

Scutaro is deserving of another year. not sure if he gets it.

id also like to see Wakefield stick around as a spot starter when needed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: players u want to see go.

In priority.
    1. Lackey- Agree.  I think he is a cancer in the room.  I have no proof but he just has too much baggage and I dont think they were smart when they gave a fly ball pitcher big money to pitch in Fenway.  Train wreck.  The only silver lining is that he does compete and is never injured. Maybe his life matters will be behind him. 
    2. Lowrie- never liked him.  he is soft.  send him to the west coast somewhere.
    3. McDonald- agree. we had no bench this year. his errors were huge. he offers no bat.  Good guy for sure.  But Good guys finish 3rd.
    4. Wake- We have to go younger or better.  Wake drives me nuts.  I have been a supporter but its time to go.
    5. Drew- he is gonna retire.
    6. Tek- love his heart and soul.  but he is a personal catcher for Josh kinds like Dougie was for Wake. He offers very limited defense and even less at the plate. If they clean house maybe he can be part of the makeover with the coaching staff.  He deserves a better exit but its time to say hello to retirement.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

i need to read.  I put 6.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'd love to keep Tek around in some fashion. I recognize his physical limitations, but I love his heart and knowledge of the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Keep Pedroia, Ellsbury, Scutaro, and Papelbon.
    Get rid of everyone else.
    Papi and Youk have stayed too long, and are clubhouse problems.
    Gonzalez is no leader.
    They need the guys like Mike Lowell, who had the respect of his fellow players, and unified the Hispanics and American players.
    They need loosey goosey guys like Damon and Millar, to keep things light.
    They need leaders. Varitek's position as a part timer limited his influence.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Drew, Lackey, Tek, Wakefield all definitely OUT
    Papi (shut your trap), Crawford (better get his act together) are maybe's

Problem is this isn't the NFL. We may get rid of Lackey or Crawford but we're still paying their salary. You have to give Carl one more shot. I would bring Papi back for the right price but I can't imagine he wants to stay to much longer

Ellsbury is a priority. Need to get him locked up.
    I would bring back Papelbon for the right price because I don't see a realistic replacement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Here's the guys that need to go! Scrubtaro don't be fooled by his batting average over the last month he still is only an average SS or a plus reserve. Drew is gone because for 14.5 million the Sox got Sk rewd!!!!! DMac is a MILB player who tried in vain to fill in but just couldn't get the job done. Youkilis became expendable after Theo traded for Agonzo. He will have value in a trade for young pitching as his replacement is just over the horizon in Will Middlebrooks,if you don't trade him he has to be the b/u at 1rst and 3rd as well as the RHDH. I would seek another option at catcher also Salty had trouble catching regular pitchers,let alone Wakefield!!!! Tek may decide to hang them up. Lowrie will never be as good as he was in College. I really liked the effort from Aviles and didn't see enough of Connor Jackson to make a decision,the entire bullpen was terrible over the last 30 days but that could've been a direct result of them having to bail out the crappy starting pitchers every night! The sox had a league worst two complete games from their starters all season!!! Others that need to find new places to dwell the Third base idiot coach Tim "get 'em thrown out " Bogar,Curt "I didn't improve any pitcher while here in Boston"Young, Fat Albers,Dan "18"Wheeler,Andrew Miller,Okijima,DiceK,and sadly Wakefield. There should be a multitude of changes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Per the thread's request I will list only five, however I would get rid of more and I shall assume J.D. Caught Looking Drew being gone is moot.

#1 Lackey; The worst SP in the American League and a clubhouse cancer.
    #2 Youklis; His tough guy routine and blabbering mouth are tiresome, not to mention he hasn't played out the season for two years. Very expendable, potential trade bait.
    #3 Wakefield; it is time Timmy.
    #4 Tek; it is time too.
    #5 Ortiz; too old, way too big an ego.

Oh, I wish I could go on, but will stick to the rulesYell

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

1. John Lackey
    2. David Ortiz
    3. Tim Wakefield
    4. Daisuke Matsuzaka
    5. JD Drew

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

I can think of many player's who should go and my list would be longer than 5 player's, so I'll say who should stay and let everyone figure out who I think should go.

Pitchers staying Lester
                           Beckett
                          Buchholz
                          Bard
                          Papelbon
                          Aceves
    Position player's
                           Saltalamacchia
                           Gonzalez
                           Pedroia
                           Aviles
                           Ellsbury
                           Crawford
                           Reddick      

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

The two top candidates are Youk and Wake.  Youk because he hasn't contributed enough vs. his contract and place in organizational depth, Wake because ... well, because it's over.  O-V-A, over.

They're also two of the easier players to replace.  Youk is tradeable, and before you get all misty, take a look at his last two years.  It's not hard to find a 3rd baseman who hits .260, 15 HR and 60 RBI.  In fact, his name might be Middlebrooks.  In return, I'd ship Youk to the NL for one decent prospect.

Wake needs to retire, or figure out how to pick up a few more checks as an Astro / Marlin / etc.

Next up for me are Beckett and Gonzalez.  Beckett has gone past his prime, and unless he discovers Clemens' "career second wind" (PED's), or p90x DVDs somewhere, is unlikely to anchor a starting rotation vs. his contract and place in the organization.  
    NOTE: did NOT say he won't pitch well again.  But the length of contract, the lack of condition, and the salary all point to him being a frustrating tease for the next few years.  Right now, he has trade value - and the Sox need to rebuild.

I'd see if I couldn't get rid of Gonzalez, too.  He's a marvelous player, but gut feeling (and 2007, 2010, and 2011) say he is not a champion vs. his contract and place in the organization.  Gonzalez is too weak minded to be THE GUY - here or any other East Coast big market team.  Right now, you can get a lot in return for his services (San Francisco needs him, and have a great young rotation).  And you can replace his offense without having to do it at his position (RF, 3B, 1B ...).

I would NOT trade Gonzalez unless I felt very strongly about the possiblity of replacing those #'s, but it can be done.  And we could have someone who does not blame God and coincidentally play for a lot of clubs that have folded under pressure.  Gonzalez won't toughen up; he'll just get more religious.

With the above there is a theme, "Versus their contracts and place in the organization."

Each player occupies a roster spot, and you have to evaluate that spot against realistic alternatives.  With their budget, the Sox can explore a LOT of alternatives.  For example, Prince Fielder is an alternative to Gonzalez, if AGon were shipped out (or Ortiz, for that matter).  And Prince Fielder isn't a marvel of conditioning, but he sure is a tough SOB.  Albert Pujols is an example of someone who is not an option.  As much as Lackey and Crawford are obvious FA failures, you cannot get around that the RS were having huge success during those failures; but when AGon and Papi tanked with the pitching staff, the wheels came off entirely.

The reasons you can't get rid of Crawford are obvious; no value in return, he manned up which indicates potential rebound, etc.  You just don't give him away.

Lackey you'd love to give away, but again, you don't sell a stock the morning after the day of it's biggest-ever price fall.  He's so villainized at this point, too, that his status is hugely diminished.  Even if he were in the clubhouse next year, he won't have any influence.  It will be like Zambrano, he has already marginalized himself to the point of the Bruce Chen episode.  I despise him, but if he wants to show up as a 4th/5th starter and bring his ERA down, that would be fine.  

And throwing him away would likely cost near $10M/year -- it's just too expensive, when you can get 2-3 bullpen pieces for that money, or a good corner outi

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

"Youk is the man"
    2010 31 BOS AL 102 435 362 77 111 26 5 19 62 4 1 58 67 .307 .411 .564 .975 157 204 4 10 0 5 3 3/5  
    2011 32 BOS AL 120 517 431 68 111 32 2 17 80 3 0 68 100 .258 .373 .459 .833 123 198 14 14 0 4 3 *5/3D AS

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

Jackbu, You want Wake, Lackey, Lowrie and Youk back? Hope you dont get Tito's job.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

1. Drew
    2. Daisuke
    3. Wakefield
    4. Varitek
    5. Ortiz ( runs too slow to play anymore)
    6. McDonald
    7. Albers ( too fat)
    8. Conor Jackson ( not really sure what we needed him for in the first place)
    9.Jenks
    10.Morales ( we can get a better lefty than this)

Sorry , couldn't stop at 6.

I'd also add that I would  not keep Aviles, Lowrie and Scutaro....I would keep only one of them , which one I am not sure, but they are all basically similar and backups at best. Scutaro impressed me with his desire in the final month, but he's the oldest of the three so it's a tough call on how many productive years he can give us.

Also, if Lackey had only 1 year left on his contract , i would write him off as a mistake and eat the remainder. But, this would be too costly, so he gets one more chance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Youk is the Man Wow, okay, you go with that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

It's just not bright to say "You want Lackey back??!?!?"

You need to be logical rather than emotional, and run the decision trees.  The price of moving him is enormous; and he may become a serviceable backline starter.  Keeping him is cheaper than getting rid of him and finding a replacement backline starter.  And that cost could be applied to, say, finding a professional right fielder.

As for the "cancer" theory ... shrug.  If he's that bad, he will marginalize himself (see: Zambrano) and the impact will be lessened.  If not, then finish the divorce and see you in February.

Lowrie is a non-issue; he's not in anyone's way, and isn't expensive, so he'll be traded or released depending on how he plays.  When able, he's an above-average MLB hitter who plays multiple positions. 

Peanut, I like your list, with the exception of Beckett.  I do not have a good feeling about Josh's future performance.  He's also a member of the "20 extra" club, and keeps breaking down in the 2nd half.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Zilla, the top 4 players on your list are not really in the discussion.

Wake will retire (you will see; it will happen after the GM meetings at the latest, which would be the last time he found out how few are his options).

Drew is not under contract; he's already gone.

Dice-K will rehab and no one will want him unless he can come back and pitches well; in which case we will keep him as an unexpected bonus.  Then his contract is over and buh-bye. 

Tek may retire; if not, he will stay as b/u catcher and player-coach.  If Lavarnway shows he's ready, 'Tek will retire and get a front office job, possibly in-season.  He's cheap, easy insurance, another non-issue.  His presence doesn't obstruct the RS from doing anything.

McDonald, Albers, Morales and Jackson are all UFA's; getting rid of them is as simple as not re-signing them.  There are a lot of FA's that won't even get a call from Yawkey Way after this debacle.

Same with Ortiz, but Ortiz's status makes that more complicated.

What are you going to get for Bobby Jenks?  Two cows and 10 yards of silk?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Okay, I can't help myself. Using Peanut's approach, below are the only players I want to see on this team next year:

And before I get to the players, Theo must go too, sooner rather than later.

#1 Pedey; Make him the Captain and give him free riegn in the clubhouse to kick you know what and take names.
    #2 Lester; He is a top tier starter with several good years ahead.
    #3 Adrian Gonzalez; Just let him play, he is here for a long time. Do not expect any leadership, witty or significant comments to media regarding anything.

That is it! And yes, no Ells on this list, why? He is my favorite MLB player but he has Boras as an agent will certainly be gone in two years anyway. Trade him now while his value is insanely high. And no Softy, I do not want Kemp...I would trade him for a basketful of top prospects a few of which are ready for the big leagues next year.

We need to fully stock the minor leagues with top prospects, particularly pitching. Follow the Rays model in that regard and for position players follow the Pirate model. I realize that this road would lead to several losing seasons, and I don't care. Trade or simply outright release everyone else. Get rid of them. Start over. It would be far more exciting following the growth of solid young players than watching these overpaid, underachieving dolts another year. Now having said all that I feel better and realize it won't happen. My only hope is that John Henry is so angry that he does in fact go overboard with change. Fire the entire Medical Staff, obviously get a new team of strength and conditioning staff, fire all the coaches, especially Bogar. Fire the beer and peanut vendors, the grounds keepers...okay, that is going to far. Rant over.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

There are couple guys that Boston should get rid of, but they are still under contract.  

Anyway:
    1. Drew: Retires
    2. Daisuke - unmovable due he still have one more year left of contract and wont be back until mid june to mid july.  So he's stuck with the team for 12 millions
    3. Wakefield: sign with a different team or retires
    4. Varitek:  Retires or sign with another team
    5. Ortiz ( runs too slow to play anymore):  let the Yankees have him to prevent them signing Prince Fielder.
    6. McDonald: unmovable due he is under a contract for one more year.  Unless Theo trade him for low prospects to free up money on payroll.
    7. Albers:  Keep.  Only one of the five pitchers were able to pitch all  year along.  Hard to trust relievers in nowsdays especially these free agents
    8. Conor Jackson: gone
    9.Jenks: under contract for one more year.  Guess Sox are stuck with him.
    10.Morales Keep unless, they find a decent left hander.   Theo alway signed wrong left handing pitcher every year.  Okjima was one of the better left hander pitcher that Theo signed, but only last two years.
    11. Lackey:  Trade him for another bad contract guy such as Vernon Wells, etc.
    12.  Youkilis:  More likely to trade him.  Sox know he will not be able to play a full year anymore due hip problem.  Remember Lowell and next is A-Rod.  Better trade him now cuz his value is still high.  Sox can just look for another 3B such as Rameriz of Cubs.
    13. Pitching coach: gone
    14. Third base coach: gone
    Meaning the Sox may need to find up to 12 guys.  That is the problem.  Too much work for Theo to do.  More likely to keep two or three guys above.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: players u want to see go.:
    [QUOTE]1. John Lackey 2. David Ortiz 3. Tim Wakefield 4. Daisuke Matsuzaka 5. JD Drew
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Not sure that you can even trade Dice-K since he is still recovering from surgery.   I wouldn't mind having him back, but he won't be available until at least 1/2 of the season is over.  Would like to see Lackey traded, but not sure if this will happen.   I would like to see Wakefield retire.  We need to make improvements to our pitching staff and this won't happen if Wakefield is still on this roster. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from YankeeBill. Show YankeeBill's posts

In Response to players u want to see go.:
    [QUOTE]name 4-5 players that u believe u should go. 1. lackey -total disaster. not fit for Boston. 2. drew -he will retire. so this one is given. 3. mcdonald -just not good enough for this team. good guy tho 4. youkilis -often injured. not clutch and has value. 5. lowrie -big fan of lowrie, but we cant count on him. this one hurts. I'm willing to give Crawford another year. He trully cares about earnings his money and will return to form. Scutaro is deserving of another year. not sure if he gets it. id also like to see Wakefield stick around as a spot starter when needed.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]

1 )  Beckett
    2 )  Lester
    3 )  Buchholz
    4 )  Agon
    5 )  Pedroia
    6 )  Ellsbury

You asked. ha  At least I kept it to 6

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

1-Lackey
    2-Craword
    3-Bogar
    4-Tek

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

from the sounds of this, half the team needs to go. including coaches.

The common thoughts:
    1. Trade youk
    2. trade lackey for some other bad contract
    3. morales, jackson, mcdonald, albers, drew gone.
    4. Most want wakefield gone
    5. coaching staff gone.

Split on:
    1. Ortiz
    2. Tek

Big surprise to me is the Crawford supporters. I thought ppl would say im crazy for still believing in him. Good to see tho.

Sections
Shortcuts