Players we should have kept or traded for...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

Re: Players we should have kept or traded for...

I really wanted to sign Matt Holiday when he was a free agent, and I was surprised we didn't. He was perfect for our lineup. He isn't a superstar, but he's nearly there, and he probably would have been even better in our lineup, with the short porch in left.

Not only that, but that also means no Crawford... and I may be wrong, but was that the same year the Sox signed Lackey? If we had signed Holiday, I doubt we would have signed Lackey.

Sigh... can you imagine how much better this team would be with Holiday in left instead of of Crawford, no Lackey, and forty million more dollars per year...??

(for the record, I think I may have my offseasons mixed up re: Holiday/Lackey signings).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Next year we sign Josh Hamilton to play RF, with the intent on trading or not re-signing Ellesbury. The team is stuck with Crawford.

Boston also should sign either Brian McCann or Miguel Montero... releasing both our current catchers from the roster with Lavarway as back-up catcher and DH (perhaps he can learn 1B as well).

Ortiz for better or worse is let go so that Lavarnway and the walking wounded can use the DH position.

Pitching, other than Lester who clearly still needs to be a #2, we need to move out whoever we can for whatever we can.  The team needs a #1 and I am unsure who that might be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: Players we should have kept or traded for...:
    [QUOTE]Since 1970 we should have kept: Sparky Lyle Rick Burleson Fisk John Tudor Mo Vaughn VMart Interestingly enough Burleson, Vaughn, and VMart suffered serious injuries not long after their departures from Boston; two of them essentially had their careers ended by these injuries. Hindsight does not apply.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    • Bobby No-heater?  Traded him and his 18-5 1986 record to the Mets for Schiraldi....
    • Cecil Cooper
    • Bagwell obviously

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Oh man I always always include Cecil Cooper in my top 10. I totally forgot this time!

I tell you with Cecil at 1B in 1978 and all the way until 1987 the team might just have won something. No Boomer, Perez, Watson, Easler, or Stapleton necessary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Should have gotten Hunter Pence from Houston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Oh man I always always include Cecil Cooper in my top 10. I totally forgot this time! I tell you with Cecil at 1B in 1978 and all the way until 1988 the team might just have won something. No Boomer, Perez, Watson, Easler, or Stapleton necessary.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

What a blunder that trade was....for Carbo and Scott!  Talk about living in the past.  No way that ball goes through Cooper's legs in 1986.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am sure you know this, Scott had originally started in Boston but the real baffler was that Carbo had only been traded the year b4! I am certain Dick O'Connell was no where near that move.

Having talked about that the Bagwell trade is the worst... imagine Bagwell at 3rd and Mo Vaughn at 1st for 5 to 8 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Should have gotten Hunter Pence from Houston.
    Posted by drpjn[/QUOTE]
    The Red Sox could not match Philadelphia's offer of Jarred Cosart, Jonathan Singleton, Josh Zeid and Domingo Santana (a prospect package that rivals what the Red Sox traded for Adrian Gonzalez).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Since 1970 we should have kept:

• Sparky Lyle
    • Rick Burleson
    • Fisk
    • John Tudor
    • Mo Vaughn
    • VMart

Interestingly enough Burleson, Vaughn, and VMart suffered serious injuries not long after their departures from Boston; two of them essentially had theircareers ended by these injuries.

Hindsight does not apply.

No Fred Lynn?

Mo Vaughn showed serious signs of decline the 2 years before the injury.

One reason many felt we shouldn't sign VMart was his age and the length of the contract he wanted while playing a tough position that greatly increases the odds of injury or rapid decline. (As a FT DH and 3rd string catcher, he wasn't worth what Detroit paid, but he wasn't grossly overpaid like CC was either.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I really wanted to sign Matt Holiday when he was a free agent, and I was surprised we didn't. He was perfect for our lineup. He isn't a superstar, but he's nearly there, and he probably would have been even better in our lineup, with the short porch in left.

Not only that, but that also means no Crawford... and I may be wrong, but was that the same year the Sox signed Lackey? If we had signed Holiday, I doubt we would have signed Lackey.

I was a strong advocate for Holliday. He was the RH'd bat we needed and not as bad a fielder as many think he is. I remember softy being deadset against the idea, as he claimed Holliday was not an "elite" hitter. 

Yes, Holliday was overpaid as all big FAs are, but I stated the same thing you said, it would have meant "no CC", and maybe no Lackey as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Since 1970 we should have kept: Sparky Lyle Rick Burleson Fisk John Tudor Mo Vaughn VMart Interestingly enough Burleson, Vaughn, and VMart suffered serious injuries not long after their departures from Boston; two of them essentially had their careers  ended by these injuries. Hindsight does not  apply . No Fred Lynn? Mo Vaughn showed serious signs of decline the 2 years before the injury. One reason many felt we shouldn't sign VMart was his age and the length of the contract he wanted while playing a tough position that greatly increases the odds of injury or rapid decline. (As a FT DH and 3rd string catcher, he wasn't worth what Detroit paid, but he wasn't grossly overpaid like CC was either.)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Well you can't keep them all... so I still trade Lynn (I believe the players we got back were teerible though). Maybe keep Rooster and trade Lynn for Lansford straight up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m