Playoff Roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Playoff Roster

Can someone post it when it's available?

Do you think we'll have it tomorrow or not until Thursday? I wonder when they are due?  Thursday @ 9AM?

By the way, I like having JBJ instead of the 11th pitcher.  The reason is if Ells or Vic get hurt, in order to use JBJ (If he's NOT on the roster) that means Ells or Vic would be lost for the remainder of the current series and the following series.  Or, we play with one man short as we hope that Ells or Vic come back (we had the same issue w/ Lowell in 2008 - eventually we lost him for the remainder of the LCS and what would had been the WS and in the meantime played short)............This gives us more flexibility IF we think that is our biggest risk going into it.........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Playoff Roster

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Do you think we'll have it tomorrow or not until Thursday? I wonder when they are due?  Thursday @ 9AM?

By the way, I like having JBJ instead of the 11th pitcher.  The reason is if Ells or Vic get hurt, in order to use JBJ (If he's NOT on the roster) that means Ells or Vic would be lost for the remainder of the current series and the following series.  Or, we play with one man short as we hope that Ells or Vic come back (we had the same issue w/ Lowell in 2008 - eventually we lost him for the remainder of the LCS and what would had been the WS and in the meantime played short)............This gives us more flexibility IF we think that is our biggest risk going into it.........

TBH i worry about IVC staying on the field for the playoffs more than i worry about Ellsbury being able to stay on the field for the playoffs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

TBH i worry about IVC staying on the field for the playoffs more than i worry about Ellsbury being able to stay on the field for the playoffs

[/QUOTE]

who is IVC?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

who is IVC?

[/QUOTE]

LOL...All of us involved in the game day "Frat Chat" (private room) call him that. It started when someone misspelled his name IVC (VIC) and we just kept calling him that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

who is IVC?

[/QUOTE]

LOL...All of us involved in the game day "Frat Chat" (private room) call him that. It started when someone misspelled his name IVC (VIC) and we just kept calling him that.

[/QUOTE]

got ya

OK so Vic or Ells - both are nursing injuries.....You may lose them for a couple of games but I'd hate to replace them OR play shorthanded for a few games......So for Risk Mgt purposes I think I'd go w/ JBJ for the first round

look Rounds 2 and 3 you carry the extra pitcher.....but Round 1 you have the luxury of protecting Ells and Vic w/o losing them for the ALCS

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

who is IVC?

[/QUOTE]

sorry, it seems that i am writing his name as that without even noticing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Totally agree, not to include Brad jr would be flirting with disaster...with four starters and Doubront and Dempster available in pen, breslow, junichi, morales and uehara are more than enough... Not so sure thou, managers nowadays love pitchers by the dozen... Nevertheless, my other concern is a decision choosing quintin over brad...the fact the former is in lineup today seems suspicious...lol

When will we know it?....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

[QUOTE]

Totally agree, not to include Brad jr would be flirting with disaster...with four starters and Doubront and Dempster available in pen, breslow, junichi, morales and uehara are more than enough... Not so sure thou, managers nowadays love pitchers by the dozen... Nevertheless, my other concern is a decision choosing quintin over brad...the fact the former is in lineup today seems suspicious...lol

When will we know it?....

[/QUOTE]

You may be able to find out on line when Rosters are due.  They are usually due like midnight the night before a series starts.  So I am thinking midnight on Thursday.  And I think The Sox will want to wait until the last minute to see who they are matching up against and how their personnel feels and looks after this week........So I am thinking when I wake up Friday I'll grab it, print it out, and put on my coffee table for reference as per usual...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well there goes Doubrant and maybe Thornton too........

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to BigPapiforever's comment:

[QUOTE]

I like the idea of JBJ on the roster but one of the Providence beat writers has tweeted that JF does not think Jacoby needs a back up.  Brian MacPherson says farrell does not feel like he needs an extra cf to protect ells.  But it was also tweeted that Farrell may not go with the 11 pitcher so who knows.

[/QUOTE]

interesting

but what about Vic too?  Do you want an OF in late innings of say

Gomes

Ellsbury

Nava

or

Carp

Victorino

Nava

or maybe no Nava at all since he could be PH for vs LHP

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Man looks the Indians got the first WC

Rangers need to win to TIE w/ TB for the 2nd WC

We need the Rangers to win now

Make the Rays win TWICE before coming to Boston (if they do at all)

GO RANGERS - it's the most important game today and the only important one at that

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to manosome's comment:

[QUOTE]

I hope i never see Doubront pitch for the SOX again. He truly sux.

[/QUOTE]

I think he could be done for the year but I won't give up on him yet

When he's right he get tremdous tilt on his pitches

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

man are the Rangers going to blow it?

freakin Jays had that game too!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

man are the Rangers going to blow it?

freakin Jays had that game too!!!!!!

Jays almost pulled that one out down 7-0 to come back 7-6.

I have no issue with Berry on the roster instead of JBJ if it comes to that. Hes a solid defensive OF'er who has a little "pop" in his bat, along with lots of speed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Boston bullpen entering playoffs:

1) Uehara

2) Breslow

3) Hope and a prayer

4) Hope and a prayer

5) Hope and a prayer

6) Hope and a prayer

7) Hope and a prayer.

In other words, the starters better go deep in all games.

huge and concernful truth!...hope Dempster can help....but pls Mr Farrell no Thornton! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Doubront got stretched with number of inniearly early Sept, so I think he will be shut down.  He will be a strong contributor again for a few more years.

I expected more from Thornton, he may still be OK, but on a short lease.  Same goes for Morales.

Can't make out Tazawa, he bleeds runs beyond the 3 outs, not good with inherited runners.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, there is a new MLB playoff policy for the post season which started some years ago.  So if Ellsbury or Victorino or Nava or Gomes goes down and cant play for the rest of the post season series, he can be replace by another play for the next game.  But if he is replaced, he cannot come back until the next round if Boston advance.

Agree with you all that Doubront is done.  It is the second years in a row he keep having tired arm in the later part of the season.  Dont know why he keep having the same problem from one year to another.  

I would go with 11 pitchers cuz like i said above, if a guy goes down, Boston can use the new rule by replacing that guy for the next game!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I hope i never see Doubront pitch for the SOX again. He truly sux.

I think he could be done for the year but I won't give up on him yet

When he's right he get tremdous tilt on his pitches

Both he and Morales should NOT be on the roster. Doubront showed up in ST out of shape. That is inexcusable. Its conceivable that his work ethic is responsible for his hitting a wall in Sept (before Sept he was a very good SP for us). That is correctable. I am not quite ready to give up on him, but he bloody well better show up in great shape in ST next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

First of all, there is a new MLB playoff policy for the post season which started some years ago.  So if Ellsbury or Victorino or Nava or Gomes goes down and cant play for the rest of the post season series, he can be replace by another play for the next game.  But if he is replaced, he cannot come back until the next round if Boston advance.

Agree with you all that Doubront is done.  It is the second years in a row he keep having tired arm in the later part of the season.  Dont know why he keep having the same problem from one year to another.  

I would go with 11 pitchers cuz like i said above, if a guy goes down, Boston can use the new rule by replacing that guy for the next game!!

yes but that is what we want to avoid - having to lose a guy for the the next series if he only needs a few days to recoup OR from playing short-handed....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

[QUOTE]

Boston bullpen entering playoffs:

1) Uehara

2) Breslow

3) Hope and a prayer

4) Hope and a prayer

5) Hope and a prayer

6) Hope and a prayer

7) Hope and a prayer.

In other words, the starters better go deep in all games.

huge and concernful truth!...hope Dempster can help....but pls Mr Farrell no Thornton! 

[/QUOTE]

I can see the starters being asked to throw 120 Pitches each start....

Dempster will see action.......

and maybe one of the starters can pitch in relief depending on where they are in the rotation

But Brez and Koj can throw 4 outs each......get 4 from Dempster and that's 3 innings.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

[QUOTE]

yes but that is what we want to avoid - having to lose a guy for the the next series if he only needs a few days to recoup OR from playing short-handed....

[/QUOTE]

i think that means that said player can not return UNTIL the next series starts. for example, if ShaVic goes down in game 2 of the ALDS and he is replaced with a guy not on the roster, he would not be elligible to come back until the ALCS starts. What you are saying sounds like a player replaced during the ALDS would not be elligible to come back until the WS which is not the case.