Playoff Roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Playoff Roster

Unless they changed the rules VERY recently, if you are replaced in the ALDS, you are not eligible for the ALCS but you can come back in the WS

If you are replaced in the ALCS (See M Lowell in 2008) then you are done for the season........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We could get by with ten pitchers in the ALDS. That would allow for both Bradley and Berry to be on the roster. The problem is that going with ten  pitchers might hurt the ability to mix and match against the opponent's hitters late in the game. Assuming we advance to the ALCS and beyond, eleven pitchers will be needed. By then , it should be apparent if Ellsbury and Victorino are healthy. If they are, Berry will probably be the choice because of the Dave Roberts factor. Bradley is obviously the better all around player, but Berry would be the potential role player. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

First of all, there is a new MLB playoff policy for the post season which started some years ago.  So if Ellsbury or Victorino or Nava or Gomes goes down and cant play for the rest of the post season series, he can be replace by another play for the next game.  But if he is replaced, he cannot come back until the next round if Boston advance.

Agree with you all that Doubront is done.  It is the second years in a row he keep having tired arm in the later part of the season.  Dont know why he keep having the same problem from one year to another.  

I would go with 11 pitchers cuz like i said above, if a guy goes down, Boston can use the new rule by replacing that guy for the next game!!

yes but that is what we want to avoid - having to lose a guy for the the next series if he only needs a few days to recoup OR from playing short-handed....

i think that means that said player can not return UNTIL the next series starts. for example, if ShaVic goes down in game 2 of the ALDS and he is replaced with a guy not on the roster, he would not be elligible to come back until the ALCS starts. What you are saying sounds like a player replaced during the ALDS would not be elligible to come back until the WS which is not the case.

A player who is replaced on the roster during he series is ineligible for the next series as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Unless they changed the rules VERY recently, if you are replaced in the ALDS, you are not eligible for the ALCS but you can come back in the WS

If you are replaced in the ALCS (See M Lowell in 2008) then you are done for the season........

Sorry. Saw this after I said the same thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I could see us going with just 10 pitchers due to all the rest we will have before our first series begins.

(Does anybody else think 5 days between games is too much and borders on being a disadvantage, especially if a team is hot going in to the playoffs?)

I think a 10 man staff could be dangerous, if we have to use a bunch of pitchers in game 1 or two, or we have a 15 inning game somewhere.

But, as of now, I'd go with this:

Lester (game 1 starter and gm 5, if needed)

Buch (game 2 starter)

Peavy (game 3 starter)

Lackey (game 4 starter, if needed)

Doubront (Mid-long relief)

Dempster (Mid-long relief)

Morales (Mid-long relief)

Breslow 

Tazawa

Uehara

(11th pitcher?  Workman, Thornton, or Britton)

The 15 positional players (or 14, if we go with 11 pitchers):

Ellsbury

Victorino

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Nava

Salty

Drew

Middy

Ross

Gomes

Carp

Bogaerts (not McDonald, IMO)

Bradley (possibly Berry instead)

Berry (if we go with 10 pitchers), which I would chance doing.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

We could get by with ten pitchers in the ALDS. That would allow for both Bradley and Berry to be on the roster. The problem is that going with ten  pitchers might hurt the ability to mix and match against the opponent's hitters late in the game. Assuming we advance to the ALCS and beyond, eleven pitchers will be needed. By then , it should be apparent if Ellsbury and Victorino are healthy. If they are, Berry will probably be the choice because of the Dave Roberts factor. Bradley is obviously the better all around player, but Berry would be the potential role player. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I agree, and if Ellsbury and Shane are both healthy, then the need of a better overall 5th OF'er is not as likely as the need for a stolen base.

Ellsbury, Victorino, Nava, and Gomes should be all we need in the OF, as long as everyone stays healty. We may pinch hit for Nava or Gomes late in the game, so having Bradley or Berry on the bench in case of an in-game injury is basically the same. The edge goes to Berry based on his ability to be a game-changer on the basepaths.

Go with 10 pitchers in the ALDS and 11 in the ALCS, and see what we need for the WS based on how much rest we have had and how healthy everyone is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I could see us going with just 10 pitchers due to all the rest we will have before our first series begins.

(Does anybody else think 5 days between games is too much and borders on being a disadvantage, especially if a team is hot going in to the playoffs?)

I think a 10 man staff could be dangerous, if we have to use a bunch of pitchers in game 1 or two, or we have a 15 inning game somewhere.

But, as of now, I'd go with this:

Lester (game 1 starter and gm 5, if needed)

Buch (game 2 starter)

Peavy (game 3 starter)

Lackey (game 4 starter, if needed)

Doubront (Mid-long relief)

Dempster (Mid-long relief)

Morales (Mid-long relief)

Breslow 

Tazawa

Uehara

(11th pitcher?  Workman, Thornton, or Britton)

The 15 positional players (or 14, if we go with 11 pitchers):

Ellsbury

Victorino

Pedroia

Ortiz

Napoli

Nava

Salty

Drew

Middy

Ross

Gomes

Carp

Bogaerts (not McDonald, IMO)

Bradley (possibly Berry instead)

Berry (if we go with 10 pitchers), which I would chance doing.

Sox4ever

i would take..britton over morales

and workman over doubront...

and i'm with you i'd go with 10 pitchers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i would take..britton over morales

and workman over doubront...

and i'm with you i'd go with 10 pitchers.

Last 28 days, not counting today:

Morales  2.16  1.200

Doubr     6.75   1.406

Workm  7.04   1.565

Britton   7.36   1.636

I'm not saying these are the only numbers that count, buta Morales and Doubront have more experience.   Franklin has brought his velocity up a couple mph from last year: good sign.

Although I thought Doubront should have been rested back in August or he'd hit a wall, he only has 161 IP. He had 161 last year too.

Workman has 42 IP in MLB and 101 on the farm this year (143 total). He had 114 last year.

Britton has 21 IP in MLB and 103 IP on the farm this year (124 total). He had 130 last year.

They may all 3 be up against their wall.

Interesting choices.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/09/felix_doubront_likely_not_in_alds_plans

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to manosome's comment:

Boston bullpen entering playoffs:

1) Uehara

2) Breslow

3) Hope and a prayer

4) Hope and a prayer

5) Hope and a prayer

6) Hope and a prayer

7) Hope and a prayer.

In other words, the starters better go deep in all games.

You sound like the same poster (torgorocksinhishead) that kept saying the Red Sox would never make it with their lousy pitching staff.  Now, I do concede that the Red Sox are thin beyond Breslow and Uehara in the pen, but the game is played differently in the post season for a number of reasons.

1.  Given the importance of each game, especially the elimination ones, the main guys are handled differently.  Both Breslow and Uehara will be extended beyond an inning if necessary.  If you recall 2007, the Sox were heavily dependent upon Oki and Paps.  Both players were pushed to their limits in the post season to secure key victories.  

2.  As an extension of the above, all set-up relievers are given a much shorter leash.  Tazawa especially will not necessary be expected to finish an inning once he lets a runner or two on base (depending upon the score of course).  The same holds true for most of the rest of the relief corps except for Breslow and Uehara.  

3.  There will be more strategic match ups and more pitching changes.  Certain pitchers will be targeted for specific opposing hitters and game situations based upon how well they match up.  Think Joe Madden.  

4. Dempster and maybe Doubrant (if he's on the roster) are wild cards in the sense that it's hard to predict how they'll perform in this role in the postseason.  If Tazawa looks shaky, Dempster could end up stepping up big in the 7th inning.  Expect new heroes and goats to emerge because of the importance and scrutiny of each at bat.  Just remember the rebirth of Derek Lowe in 2004.  There are bound to be many surprises in the post season and a lot of drama.

5. In certain situations, another starter can sometimes end up in a less familiar role.  For example, if Buchholz is on 3 three days rest in a final game, and Breslow and Uehara have either been used or are gassed, you might see Clay close out a game in extras or even before if the situation is desperate. The roles are more flexible when the situation demands it.  Just remember Randy Jones and Schilling as both aces and closers in 2001.

You shouldn't conceive of a bullpen in the same way as in the regular season.  There are a lot more dynamics at work.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

If they do decide to keep him on the roster, he needs to talk to Derek Lowe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Forget JBJ and keep Berry.  They both can't be relied upon for their sticks, but Berry provides an added dimension in his base stealing ability.  Edge: Berry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

I agree, and if Ellsbury and Shane are both healthy, then the need of a better overall 5th OF'er is not as likely as the need for a stolen base.

Ellsbury, Victorino, Nava, and Gomes should be all we need in the OF, as long as everyone stays healty. We may pinch hit for Nava or Gomes late in the game, so having Bradley or Berry on the bench in case of an in-game injury is basically the same. The edge goes to Berry based on his ability to be a game-changer on the basepaths.

Go with 10 pitchers in the ALDS and 11 in the ALCS, and see what we need for the WS based on how much rest we have had and how healthy everyone is.

I would err on the side of caution and go with 11 pitchers.  You never know about extra inning games, and there are a lot of question marks about the set-up relief beyond Breslow and Uehara.  Having the extra flexibility to have a quick hook for some of the shaky relievers gives Farrell more options.  Think back to that inning when Farrell used three different relievers to get three outs.  We may see some of that in the post-season. 

No need to have both Bradley and Berry on the roster.  Shane will play as long as he can stand on two legs.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sorry. Saw this after I said the same thing.

[/QUOTE]

but if a position player goes dow you can not replace him w/ a pitcher and vice or versa

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No need to have both Bradley and Berry on the roster.  Shane will play as long as he can stand on two legs.  

Shane has rarely played long stretches without a break or day off with a nagging injury.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

While Berry vs JBJ I agree gives the advantage to Berry.......if you have to start Berry in a game, then you lose the entire Pinch Running weapon.......so think about that too.........

Also, who would we PH for vs PR for:

PR:

Ortiz (only from the B9th on at home or in extra innings)

Salty

Nap

Gomes

Ross

Carp

PH:

Salty vs LHP

Ross

Gomes

Carp

Nava vs LHP

Drew vs LHP

JBJ

Berry

Catchers is where we could lose a lot of men.  Salty and Ross could be both PH for and PR for.....we could burn through those guys quickly in a tight game.  Naps better bring his catcher's mitt!....I think to be safe that we consider batting Salty 9th

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

redsoxfireman, I disagree but like the different approach. I have advocated 10 pitchers, but can't disagree with anyone advocating 11. 

Where we really disagree is about Nava and Carp because I think both are essential in the postseason.  You forgot to mention Napoli's bad foot, which means it is entirely possible Nava and Carp will both start against a righty.  Plus Carp just might be our best pinch hitter against a lefty. 

If the Sox keep 11 pitchers for the ALDS, no way does it make sense to keep Berry and Bradley, especially if either one replaces Carp.  Bradley is not a good threat to steal--he was caught stealing as often as he stole this year for Pawtucket.  Berry is a great threat to steal.  A week ago I would have argued for keeping Bradley because of his defense and apparent resurgence in hitting.  Now I lean toward Berry.  But never both, not with Ellsbury and Victorino both ready to play.  In case you have forgotten, those two have WAR's among the top eleven in the AL.  You also seem to forget that the Sox are now on five days hiatus, which can only help in the health department, plus they get days off after games 2 and 4 of the ALDS. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

First of all, there is a new MLB playoff policy for the post season which started some years ago.  So if Ellsbury or Victorino or Nava or Gomes goes down and cant play for the rest of the post season series, he can be replace by another play for the next game.  But if he is replaced, he cannot come back until the next round if Boston advance.

Agree with you all that Doubront is done.  It is the second years in a row he keep having tired arm in the later part of the season.  Dont know why he keep having the same problem from one year to another.  

I would go with 11 pitchers cuz like i said above, if a guy goes down, Boston can use the new rule by replacing that guy for the next game!!

yes but that is what we want to avoid - having to lose a guy for the the next series if he only needs a few days to recoup OR from playing short-handed....

i think that means that said player can not return UNTIL the next series starts. for example, if ShaVic goes down in game 2 of the ALDS and he is replaced with a guy not on the roster, he would not be elligible to come back until the ALCS starts. What you are saying sounds like a player replaced during the ALDS would not be elligible to come back until the WS which is not the case.

A player who is replaced on the roster during he series is ineligible for the next series as well.

[/QUOTE]

You re right.  More I read the policy, more i understand it.

But like I said, it is depend the nature of injury.  Let say player A injure himself and it take up to two weeks to heal, why can Boston just replace him by another player, and then by the time world series come, player A can come back to play.   So let say Victorino pulled his hamstring again and need two to four days rest at the same time he will miss only one game.  Big deal, Boston can use Berry or Gomes or Nava to replace him in the RF, and then Victorino will be back for the following game after that one.

You do not want too many bench players where they may not be needed.  Such as we all know Berry is coming in late inning for pinch running or late inning defense replacement. Same with Carp, Bogearts and Ross as a back up positional player as well for pinch hitting. So meaning Bradley is the last guy that Farrell will ever think about.  If Ellsbury get hurt again, then Bradley will be the first guy that Farrell will think about him as a replacement player.  So I strongly think that Farrell will carry 11 pitchers especially against Rays where Maddon loves to use pinching hitters!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's logically but Carp's season is no fluke.  He's the most dangerous PH they have. 

But, what Farrell has to consider is who would Carp be facing.  If it's going to be a tough lefty for sure, then maybe it would be pointless.....

Fun stuff to think about which I am sure that is what he is doing today.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

No reason whatsoever to carry Carp and Nava. Because of Ellsbury's broken foot and fragile physical constitution, no way can they realy on Shane alone. Berry's simply an essential designated pinch runner which any playoff roster without it would be incompetence. 

They need 11 pitchers, without a doubt, because flexibility depth to make pitching changes is essential.

If Ellsbury didn't have issues, and Shane as well, there would be no reason to put Bradley, Jr. on post season roster with the status quo. However, that's not the case.

Nava's OPS v RP is only 10 points below Carp. Nava is the better fielding OF'er. Nava has played in 19 games at 1st base this season. Carp has played 1B in 29 games this season.

Clearly, Carp should not be on the ALDS roster, but Bradley and Berry should be.

Problem with this comparison is those numbers are this year only.  Nava has played 19 games at 1B in his career.  And he hasn't looked entirely comfortable there.  Carp has played 200-300 games there over his career, including the minors.  Carp offers real flexiblility for 2 positions plus as a PH. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

[QUOTE]

No reason whatsoever to carry Carp and Nava. Because of Ellsbury's broken foot and fragile physical constitution, no way can they realy on Shane alone. Berry's simply an essential designated pinch runner which any playoff roster without it would be incompetence. 

They need 11 pitchers, without a doubt, because flexibility depth to make pitching changes is essential.

If Ellsbury didn't have issues, and Shane as well, there would be no reason to put Bradley, Jr. on post season roster with the status quo. However, that's not the case.

Nava's OPS v RP is only 10 points below Carp. Nava is the better fielding OF'er. Nava has played in 19 games at 1st base this season. Carp has played 1B in 29 games this season.

Clearly, Carp should not be on the ALDS roster, but Bradley and Berry should be.

Problem with this comparison is those numbers are this year only.  Nava has played 19 games at 1B in his career.  And he hasn't looked entirely comfortable there.  Carp has played 200-300 games there over his career, including the minors.  Carp offers real flexiblility for 2 positions plus as a PH. 

[/QUOTE]

Carp is the better hitter and 1B but he could also play LF

Nava is also a good hitter and could play a better OF - LF and RF and he can also bat RH

But this is a pointless comparison because they should both be on the roster

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Nothing huh?  Let me know when JBJ is able to drive the ball as well as Carp.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts