Playoff Spot

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Playoff Spot

After win 6 of their last 10 the sox are now only 4 games out of the second wildcard spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Playoff Spot

2nd wildcard = 1 game playoff = Baseball's way of trying to keep you interested when division and main WC spots were being decided by early August

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

2nd wildcard = 1 game playoff = Baseball's way of trying to keep you interested when division and main WC spots were being decided by early August

Well, having a chance at a one game playoff is better than being completely out of it in August.

It also adds a level of interest to the whole buyer/seller thing come trade deadline.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

OK ... and ... we should not be interested at the notion of a 1 game playoff to get into the divisional round? ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Pitching, pitching and more pitching; if it holds anywhere near what we've seen lately, I don't see any problem. And that includes catching Toronto and the Yankees. Baltimore is too one dimensional, and I don't think has any shot at all.

The hitting can't get much worse, and I see tiny improvement areas. But, they've got to get more aggressive in oprder to take some of the stress off the pitching staff. That means not taking strike-on-called ALL the time (5 out of the first six batters, on average every game!) Most ofd the time Pedroia doesn't even take a look (how can he with his foot in the bucket?) Nava hit the first pitch, today, for his double.

Some long nights coming up, but will be worth it, (Of course, I don't have to get up and go to work in the AM)!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

OK ... and ... we should not be interested at the notion of a 1 game playoff to get into the divisional round? ...

Didn't say that. Just don't be satisfied with going .500 and I think it lowers the bar for teams to make playoffs. Used to be you had to actually earn the spot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Didn't say that. Just don't be satisfied with going .500 and I think it lowers the bar for teams to make playoffs. Used to be you had to actually earn the spot.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I get it.  I, myself, am on the fence about the 2nd WC addition.  When it was proposed, I was very against it.  For the reason you cite:  you want playoffs?  EARN IT.  But, now that I have seen it in play, I really like the way it opens up the chase and makes September an even more exciting month.  Also, in a development that I did not see coming, it has really shaken up the whole Sellers/buyers thing that had become so predicatble and, in my opnion, bad for the game.  Didn't like how the good teams could just buy up so easily and the less good teams just gave up completely.  Now there is much more grey area, and teams aren't as likely to just sell off good pieces if there is a chance they could sneak in the race.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Well, having a chance at a one game playoff is better than being completely out of it in August.

It also adds a level of interest to the whole buyer/seller thing come trade deadline.

It's good, if you don't give up good prospects to get there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I get it.  I, myself, am on the fence about the 2nd WC addition.  When it was proposed, I was very against it.  For the reason you cite:  you want playoffs?  EARN IT.  But, now that I have seen it in play, I really like the way it opens up the chase and makes September an even more exciting month.  Also, in a development that I did not see coming, it has really shaken up the whole Sellers/buyers thing that had become so predicatble and, in my opnion, bad for the game.  Didn't like how the good teams could just buy up so easily and the less good teams just gave up completely.  Now there is much more grey area, and teams aren't as likely to just sell off good pieces if there is a chance they could sneak in the race.

I'm sure that the Buyer/Seller or Have/Have Not aspect was part of the decision making too. I guess I have to get used to it, like when the NHL first adopted the shootout---I hate the shootout. Just play an 8-minute OT and called it a tie if no one scores. Dumbest thing ever was the shootout to decide points between teams. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Never give up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

After win 6 of their last 10 the sox are now only 4 games out of the second wildcard spot.

Cheer up. After this west coast trip we will be at least six and probably eight games out.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Pitching, pitching and more pitching; if it holds anywhere near what we've seen lately, I don't see any problem. And that includes catching Toronto and the Yankees. Baltimore is too one dimensional, and I don't think has any shot at all.

The hitting can't get much worse, and I see tiny improvement areas. But, they've got to get more aggressive in oprder to take some of the stress off the pitching staff. That means not taking strike-on-called ALL the time (5 out of the first six batters, on average every game!) Most ofd the time Pedroia doesn't even take a look (how can he with his foot in the bucket?) Nava hit the first pitch, today, for his double.

Some long nights coming up, but will be worth it, (Of course, I don't have to get up and go to work in the AM)!

[object HTMLDivElement]

If the guys WE HAVE would just start doing what they normally do, esp the hitters, we will have no problem making the PS. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Cheer up. After this west coast trip we will be at least six and probably eight games out.

Sad but true.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Other than that horrible 10 game losing streak(which you unfornately can't get rid of) the Sox really haven't play that bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I have no use for the second wild card even if it get's the sox into the post season.  It diminishes all the hard work and wins of the better teams.  If a team can have a terrible season and win the WS what's the point of playing all those games?

I understand it keeps the fans interested and in the seats so money was definitely a reason for the second wild card but I think it's bad for the game kind of like every kid getting a soccer trophy.  If every kid gets a trophy then it diminishes the trophys that were earned.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.  

Eleanor Roosevelt

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

I have no use for the second wild card even if it get's the sox into the post season.  It diminishes all the hard work and wins of the better teams.  If a team can have a terrible season and win the WS what's the point of playing all those games?

I understand it keeps the fans interested and in the seats so money was definitely a reason for the second wild card but I think it's bad for the game kind of like every kid getting a soccer trophy.  If every kid gets a trophy then it diminishes the trophys that were earned.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.  

Eleanor Roosevelt

Baseball still has the smallest amount of teams making the playoffs. The extra wildcard requires teams to actually try for the division, which puts more meaning in winning in the regular season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Eleanor Roosevelt

[object HTMLDivElement]

I disagree.  That is how I viewed it when it was coming down the pike.  "Purity!", I railed.  But, now I see it like this:  a. the 2nd WC is not like hockey or basketball where everyone gets in the tourney.  It is still a select few and it doesnt outright reward, just makes a playoff, and b. it puts the premium back on winning the division, which having a WC in the first place diminished.  So, in a way, order is restored.  The division crown is now very important again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Eleanor Roosevelt

Baseball still has the smallest amount of teams making the playoffs. The extra wildcard requires teams to actually try for the division, which puts more meaning in winning in the regular season.

I understand your view point but I still think it's a bad idea.  Some feel the wild card team helps the game of baseball by requiring teams to try for the division or the whole buy seller thing but I still think it diminishes the accomplishments of the season.

As far as other sports having "half" their teams in the playoffs I think that's just plain stupid

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Eleanor Roosevelt

[object HTMLDivElement]

I disagree.  That is how I viewed it when it was coming down the pike.  "Purity!", I railed.  But, now I see it like this:  a. the 2nd WC is not like hockey or basketball where everyone gets in the tourney.  It is still a select few and it doesnt outright reward, just makes a playoff, and b. it puts the premium back on winning the division, which having a WC in the first place diminished.  So, in a way, order is restored.  The division crown is now very important again.

I don't think the first wild card diminished winning the division.  I think the first wildcard was put into place to balance the playoffs.  The second one is in place for monetary reasons.  I understand baseball is a business so of course they want to make more money, can't fault them for that.  They have to pay those insane salaries after all

I think it will be less of an accomplishment for the second wild card team to win the WS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Used to be you had to actually earn the spot.

I hear U but I C it differently I figure

by having to win that 1 & out wc game

and then going into the next series without that extra rest

the WC team does earn the spot more than in the past

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Other than that horrible 10 game losing streak(which you unfornately can't get rid of) the Sox really haven't play that bad.

Nope. I agree. Except for that they have been very mediocre.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

Eleanor Roosevelt

[object HTMLDivElement]

I don't think the first wild card diminished winning the division.  I think the first wildcard was put into place to balance the playoffs.  The second one is in place for monetary reasons.  I understand baseball is a business so of course they want to make more money, can't fault them for that.  They have to pay those insane salaries after all

I think it will be less of an accomplishment for the second wild card team to win the WS.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Now the wild card is reduced to that: a wild card.  A one game play in is a crap shoot situation.  Any given day.  You can't really set up for it because, especially if you are the second wild card, you have most likely had to play all out til the final days of the season.  

The reason the division title was diminished with one was for the very reason you cite - a team that didn't do well enough to win their division has just a much shot at the World Series as those clubs that earned the division crown.  As the sox well know.  But now, it is distinct advantage to avoid a dicey one game play in.  The division crown is made more beneficial, and the wild card spot is made less beneficial with the addition of a 2nd WC squad and a sudden death play in game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Toronto is starting to slip. As we get further into the season, I think the Yankees will be the team to beat. I think we have a shot. This ten game road trip should provide some answers.

Stabbed by Foulke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Nope. I agree. Except for that they have been very mediocre.

Fornately for US the AL East is very mediocre. It is not like the Yankees offense has been any good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Fornately for US the AL East is very mediocre. It is not like the Yankees offense has been any good.

The entire freakin' league is mediocre.

The A's have the best record in the AL and they're stocked with Red Sox rejects. I say that tongue in cheek, but really, is anyone really afraid of Oakland. The Tigers should be the best team but they're in a free-fall of sorts and in second place to the Royals.

Anyone who has given up on first place for the Red Sox aren't paying attention to what's going on in baseball this year. The Sox have the talent to go on a hot streak. They're 6.5 games out of first right now. That's nothing for June.

Scoring just five runs in three games along with the struggles all year of hitting with RISP doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. But baseball's a funny game, and it's not inconceivable that the bats heat up.

Sections
Shortcuts