Playoff strain

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Playoff strain

I have Koji concerns. He came into the season with questions about durability and is 38. He had never pitched more then 66.1 innings in relief. Yet this season, he pitched 88 innings total. That was 4th most in baseball behind 3 journeyman relievers. He also lead all of baseball in appearences with 86, two more then the next guy.

In 2010, the two pitchers with the most appearences were Pedro Feliciano and Peter Moylan. They pitched a combined 8 innings the next year and neither have done much of anything ever since.

In 2011, Johnny Venters and Jason Motte pitched in the most games. Venters struggled the next year and had surgery after the season. Motte pitched OK the next year, but then had surgery after the season.

In 2012, Mitchell Boggs lead in games pitched. Boggs struggled this year and was shut down.

Going deep in the playoffs can take something out of pitchers the next season. The only 2 players I am concerned about with the Sox is Koji and Lester. Lester threw 248 innings total. The good news with Lester is that he never threw a ton of pitches in any of the playoff games. Plus he had regular rest or surplus rest between starts.

Two guys to keep an eye on in spring training. A good reason to hold off on the contract extension with Lester.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Playoff strain

I remember Keith Folke after we won in 04... he definitely wasn't the same and I have the same concerns about koji.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd be real careful.  Bailey would look real good on a minor league deal until he gets healthy.  Wilson on a MLB deal also.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I got ure playoff strain from losin sleep, and I was not getting paid

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to billge's comment:

I got ure playoff strain from losin sleep, and I was not getting paid

I'm still trying to make up for lost productivity for watching so much baseball in October, reading about it, and posting on this website. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I have Koji concerns. He came into the season with questions about durability and is 38. He had never pitched more then 66.1 innings in relief. Yet this season, he pitched 88 innings total. That was 4th most in baseball behind 3 journeyman relievers. He also lead all of baseball in appearences with 86, two more then the next guy.

In 2010, the two pitchers with the most appearences were Pedro Feliciano and Peter Moylan. They pitched a combined 8 innings the next year and neither have done much of anything ever since.

In 2011, Johnny Venters and Jason Motte pitched in the most games. Venters struggled the next year and had surgery after the season. Motte pitched OK the next year, but then had surgery after the season.

In 2012, Mitchell Boggs lead in games pitched. Boggs struggled this year and was shut down.

Going deep in the playoffs can take something out of pitchers the next season. The only 2 players I am concerned about with the Sox is Koji and Lester. Lester threw 248 innings total. The good news with Lester is that he never threw a ton of pitches in any of the playoff games. Plus he had regular rest or surplus rest between starts.

Two guys to keep an eye on in spring training. A good reason to hold off on the contract extension with Lester.

In San Francisco, many cite this as a reason the Giants's staff struggled so much in 2013.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I'd be real careful.  Bailey would look real good on a minor league deal until he gets healthy.  Wilson on a MLB deal also.

Yes.  Some new blood as well as some rejuvinated energy might be the antidote.

Sections
Shortcuts