Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.

A superb outing by Tim Wakefield last night. Do you owe him an apology?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.

In Response to Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.:
    A superb outing by Tim Wakefield last night. Do you owe him an apology?
    Posted by fir.eballer58

I don't owe him an apology, but I believe many do including his manager. He has been effective more often than he's been ineffective through out his career. The trick is that his manager and coaches need to be able to recognize when he is one or the other. Herein lies a problem, the current manager has no clue as to when a pitcher is tiring or still very effective. He, like most managers, relies on "pitch count" to determine when to replace every pitcher. It's as if every starter becomes ineffective at 100 pitches and relievers have a designated number of pitches in their arm. It makes no difference that each individual has a different threshold for the number of pitches he's capable of while maintaining his effectiveness. It means that a manager need not know anything about the actual act of throwing a baseball, all he needs is a hand held counter to know when to replace a pitcher.Undecided

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

In Response to Re: Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.:
    In Response to Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you. : I don't owe him an apology, but I believe many do including his manager. He has been effective more often than he's been ineffective through out his career. The trick is that his manager and coaches need to be able to recognize when he is one or the other. Herein lies a problem, the current manager has no clue as to when a pitcher is tiring or still very effective. He, like most managers, relies on "pitch count" to determine when to replace every pitcher. It's as if every starter becomes ineffective at 100 pitches and relievers have a designated number of pitches in their arm. It makes no difference that each individual has a different threshold for the number of pitches he's capable of while maintaining his effectiveness. It means that a manager need not know anything about the actual act of throwing a baseball, all he needs is a hand held counter to know when to replace a pitcher.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

The writer owes this entire Board an apology for the senseless and incompetent juvenile posts which lack any substance of reality and are factually delusional.

Wake wins a gem and the manager gets his daily bashing regardless........NICE!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

not too loud, or you will WAKE him up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I said that he would be right back in th rotation whilst people were counting wins for games that have not been played, yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

he ran into a good game. It happens and we should all be glad for it, but we'd be foolish to think he can do this consistently.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

All trolls, please step forward.  Thank you.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Hey King, how about a free Whopper with Cheese coupon awarded with every trolling post.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

man oh man there are a ton of wake haters out there that need to man up and come forward and say "I'm sorry Tim for the rotten cruel things that I've said about you and how you should either retire, or be traded or released or blah blah blah fkn blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah! damn right! and you all know who you are.

Way to go Timmy! you were awesome last night!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

man oh man there are a ton of wake haters out there that need to man up and come forward and say "I'm sorry Tim for the rotten cruel things that I've said about you and how you should either retire, or be traded or released or blah blah blah fkn blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah! damn right! and you all know who you are. Way to go Timmy! you were awesome last night!
    Posted by Hammah29r2

Right on Dude!! The bashers are hiding under their beds this morning hoping the Timmy Boogie Monster doesn't find them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

A PLEASANT SURPRISE, FOR SURE !!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

When is this guy going to retire? LOL. This guy has come up big so often when we really needed him. 2003 ALCS two starts two wins. 2004 ALCS in relief. Two years ago we start out 2-6, he nearly pitches a no-hitter. Like I said previoulsy, In Wakefield we trust.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

just bc he had a good game doesnt mean he's a good pitcher and shouldnt retire. Stop.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you. : I don't owe him an apology, but I believe many do including his manager. He has been effective more often than he's been ineffective through out his career. The trick is that his manager and coaches need to be able to recognize when he is one or the other. Herein lies a problem, the current manager has no clue as to when a pitcher is tiring or still very effective. He, like most managers, relies on "pitch count" to determine when to replace every pitcher. It's as if every starter becomes ineffective at 100 pitches and relievers have a designated number of pitches in their arm. It makes no difference that each individual has a different threshold for the number of pitches he's capable of while maintaining his effectiveness. It means that a manager need not know anything about the actual act of throwing a baseball, all he needs is a hand held counter to know when to replace a pitcher.
    Posted by BOSOX1941

Which is why Tito saw Wake struggling in the 7th (after allowing 2 hits through the first 6 innings), and had him replaced after 3 batters in the 7th, thus doing his job as well as you can do it?  Wake left the game with 75 pitches thrown.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I haven't had any issue with Wake while he's in the rotation, my only problem has been how he's handled while sitting in the pen.  Now let's see how he can do against some AL competition, although the odds are against him doing well in his next outing simply because it's rare to see him throw back to back gems no matter who he's facing.  That's just the nature of the knuckler though.

Great game for Wake, and gave the pen a much needed day of rest.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I would like to see Wake string together a few outings with out imploding or injury. I stand by my earlier statement, that Francona has been playing with a 24 man roster and Wake. Wake should have been down in Pawtucket pitching every 5th day or so and insuring his readiness.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Truth be told there is nothing more fun in baseball to watch then a pitcher mastering the art of pitching. Guys like Maddox, Wake, and others that just baffle hitters with breaking stuff and location are just fun to watch. Nothing against power pitching but guys like Wake and Maddox creating the "Bugs Bunny" strike out effect of the batter can swing 3 times on one pitch is just a joy to watch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I would like to see Wake string together a few outings with out imploding or injury. I stand by my earlier statement, that Francona has been playing with a 24 man roster and Wake. Wake should have been down in Pawtucket pitching every 5th day or so and insuring his readiness.
    Posted by rkarp

Won't matter karp.  We know what we're gonna get from Wake, and its the same whether he is on ice in pen limbo, or pencilled into the rotation and getting "stretched out" properly:  he is going to have some starts where that silly thang aint a-fluttering and he is going to get rocked (and all the Wake Bashers here will be tripping over themselves to disparage him and Tito) and he is going to have some days where he's got it working like last night and we are all reminded that the dude is a serious competitor and naaaaasssty (in a 1922 kind of way).  I don't think it matters what kind of regular work he is getting.  That is the beauty of Wake, especially in his latter years.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Here's a question: Do you retire his number if he breaks the Clemens/Cy Young record?  I think you have to similarly to why they retired Pesky's number. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I feel like they have to retire his number with or without the record. He's been class A to this organization, taking any roll they given him, pitching for longer than I can remember, whether it be reliever or starter. Give me a team full of guys like Wake and I won't be complaining.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you. : Right on Dude!! The bashers are hiding under their beds this morning hoping the Timmy Boogie Monster doesn't find them.
    Posted by playball01

spot fkn on PB! Timmy still has it. He had no problem covering 1st base and he was throwing flutterballs for first pitch strikes all night. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Tim Wakefield is far from hanging up his spikes. he's only 44 years old and I believe the neikro brothers pitched until they were 48 or 49. Doesn't appear that Tim's back problems are an issue any more does it PB? IMHO I think that Timmy has atleast another 3 more good years to pitch. All he has to do is keep his body in good shape because there is absolutely no stress on his shoulder or his legs throwing the knuckler. Plus, I want to see him make it to 200 wins. Imagine if you will a pitcher for the same organization achieving that kind of milestone. Sort of on the same line as Joltn Joe and his totally unreachable hitting streak and teddy ballgame with his .406...........outside of Timmy there isn't any pitcher in MLB that has even a smiggin as many W's for the same club.

I predict that someday you will see #49 up on the facade along with 4,8,9,14 and 42.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Posted by rkarp
    The rub is there was no way within the rules to get him there. You are right that leaving Fort Meyers the best 25 man roster would have had Wakefield and Reyes in Pawtucket and Hill and Aceves in Boston.

But Tim Wakefield with only $1.5M guaranteed would never clear waivers to be designated for assignment. So he sat on the 25 man roster as an odd fit as a reliever because of the quirks his knuckleball can create (stolen bases, passed balls. It really left him as a low leverage pitcher and worse yet for Wake, low leverage situations were being used by the manager to sort out the bottom of his BP to see who might be a keeper and who might be Denys Reyes.

But as is often the case Epstein knew what he was doing with his 25 man roster because it did not take 2 months of baseball for the RS to need a 6th and 7th starter.

In between the serial posters who either demand Wakefield be dispatched by any means necessary and those who think he should be a fixture in any RS rotation the reality is he is nice luxury to have. And as bottom of the rotation guys go he is highly effective even if some of his games are painful due to stolen bases, passed balls and hung knucklers sent into interplanetary orbit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The rub is there was no way within the rules to get him there. You are right that leaving Fort Meyers the best 25 man roster would have had Wakefield and Reyes in Pawtucket and Hill and Aceves in Boston.
    But Tim Wakefield with only $1.5M guaranteed would never clear waivers to be designated for assignment. So he sat on the 25 man roster as an odd fit as a reliever because of the quirks his knuckleball can create (stolen bases, passed balls. It really left him as a low leverage pitcher and worse yet for Wake, low leverage situations were being used by the manager to sort out the bottom of his BP to see who might be a keeper and who might be Denys Reyes.
    But as is often the case Epstein knew what he was doing with his 25 man roster because it did not take 2 months of baseball for the RS to need a 6th and 7th starter.
    In between the serial posters who either demand Wakefield be dispatched by any means necessary and those who think he should be a fixture in any RS rotation the reality is he is nice luxury to have. And as bottom of the rotation guys go he is highly effective even if some of his games are painful due to stolen bases, passed balls and hung knucklers sent into interplanetary orbit.

"Highly effective?"
    How about unreliable? Didn't Aceves pitch just as well? Would Bowden have been "available" as needed, even more so than Wake? Would Doubrandt, if healthy, be a better spot starter come August?
    Assuming Lackey comes back and Dice does not, do you want Wake every 5th day in the dog days of summer or the Sept stretch run?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

"Highly effective?" How about unreliable? Didn't Aceves pitch just as well? Would Bowden have been "available" as needed, even more so than Wake? Would Doubrandt, if healthy, be a better spot starter come August? Assuming Lackey comes back and Dice does not, do you want Wake every 5th day in the dog days of summer or the Sept stretch run?
    Posted by rkarp

No Bowden would not be/was not as ready as Wake.  Bowden has been converted to a reliever on a permanent basis and as such isn't anywhere near as stretched out as Wake.  Additionally, Wake doesn't need to be as stretched out due to the less taxing nature of the knuckleball.

As an aside, I'm glad I saw this post.  You were driving me crazy earlier in the season when talking about Doubront and I forgot who the poster had been.  It's D-O-U-B-R-O-N-T.  There's no "A" and there's just the one "D".  I have no idea how you got from his name to that.

As for who I'd rather have in the rotation, I'd go with the hot hand.  We have plenty of time to find out who that is between Wake and Aceves.  Personally, I'm pulling for Aceves with an eye to the future, but the pitcher who gives us the best chance to win should be the starter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No apology from me because I liked having him on the roster.

Last night he outpitched everyone, if only because he pitched quickly and threw a lot of strikes (55 of 75).  Aceves took forever on every pitch, plus he hit a couple of guys, one of whom went on the DL. 

Sections
Shortcuts