Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Re: Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.

They need to give Wake the ball every 5 days so he'll break down and hurt himself. That's the only chance to get this squat mule off the active roster.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

SoxSold, if they would throw him every 5 days, the results would be a lot better than unconditional release of the veteran. Wouldn't you be happy if he actually helped the Sox win games?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

They need to give Wake the ball every 5 days so he'll break down and hurt himself. That's the only chance to get this squat mule off the active roster. 

The proof is in the above statement. Would a real Red Sox fan wish injury on any of its players; especially a pitcher capable of starting games when two other starters are currently on the DL?

I don't know what this Carnival Monkey's act is anymore but it becomes more clear every day that the writer certainly is not a Red Sox fan and is only here to create senseless debates based on possessing a complete lack of decorum, baseball knowledge and common sense. It's hard to believe that the writer was once a contributing member of the BDC Alumni.

If the individual has recently begun to suffer from a psychological disorder and that is the reason for the 180 degree change in writing persona then I apologize for any statements pointed towards the individual.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.:
    [QUOTE]They need to give Wake the ball every 5 days so he'll break down and hurt himself. That's the only chance to get this squat mule off the active roster.  
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

So you would rather the guy get hurt than help the team as he has done? You are pathetic.  And, by the way, Wake owns you!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

By this point I really do want to see Wake start just to get SSR angry lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I apologize!  I recently said Wake rarely ever throws back to back gems.  Eventhough this was the first time he got back to back wins since June of 2009, I'm certainly happy I was wrong!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

JB, hard to throw back-to-back gems when you don't know you are throwing in consecutive starts going back to a year ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]JB, hard to throw back-to-back gems when you don't know you are throwing in consecutive starts going back to a year ago.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

This is generally true, but with the knuckle ball the results are largely out of Wake's control.  The context of my original comment about not throwing back to back gems was not meant in a disrespectful way, simply that it's rare to see in general from Wake.   

You need to check your facts though.  It's ignorant comments such as this that give Wake supporters a bad name.  He had a 2 month stretch last year where all he did was start (5/23 - 7/20) and he didn't manage the get back to back wins, nevermind back to back games like the last 2 he's thrown.

Wake pulled it off and I'm happy for him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

He also didn't get much offensive support or relief support, i.e. which means using wins as a barometer to describe him (while Lackey was getting tons of support even in some really pathetic starts for him that resulted in "wins") is a ridiculous "ignorant" way to criticize him. He didn't pitch that well overall in his starts, but he went a full month at the start of the year in the pen, and that's not easy to transition when you don't know your role. He was yo-yoed, which is not what a 44-year-old who was used to starting every 5th day, is accustomed to. But enough of the wins in back-to-back starts to be used as pitching gems, you can pitch 4 straight gems and not win a game, ask Josh Beckett about gems and wins...don't have much to do with the other anymore. Wakefield had stretches even 4 years ago where he pitched brilliantly over 6 to 7 starts in one period and got maybe 1 win for his efforts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]He also didn't get much offensive support or relief support, i.e. which means using wins as a barometer to describe him (while Lackey was getting tons of support even in some really pathetic starts for him that resulted in "wins") is a ridiculous "ignorant" way to criticize him. He didn't pitch that well overall in his starts, but he went a full month at the start of the year in the pen, and that's not easy to transition when you don't know your role. He was yo-yoed, which is not what a 44-year-old who was used to starting every 5th day, is accustomed to. But enough of the wins in back-to-back starts to be used as pitching gems, you can pitch 4 straight gems and not win a game, ask Josh Beckett about gems and wins...don't have much to do with the other anymore. Wakefield had stretches even 4 years ago where he pitched brilliantly over 6 to 7 starts in one period and got maybe 1 win for his efforts.

Claiming that Lackey got more wins than he should have last year is simply a false statement.  Yes he got a couple thanks to the offense, but he lost 5 because of bullpen meltdowns.  Lackey lead the team in quality starts last year, he was the most consistent starter on the team and had a higher WAR than Buchholz.  I only mention wins because that's what's in the article on BDC right now.  My original point was in throwing good games ("gems") which he also didn't do in that 2 month stretch as a start last year if you look at the game looks (the link in my previous post).  

You really can't compare Wake of 4 years ago to current Wake, they pitch completely differently.  Wake used to mix in his curve and fastball, he has since gotten away from those pitches which kept batters off-balance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]They need to give Wake the ball every 5 days so he'll break down and hurt himself. That's the only chance to get this squat mule off the active roster.  
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

This may be the most disgusting post I've ever read. 

The question is, how does BDC get YOU, squat mule, off this forum.  You contribute much less to BDC than Wake does to the Sox. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Saltatinesmanofralphmacchia said "the more he pitches the more he is comfortable." Wakefield has hinted many times that he does not like to throw in the pen, and he is not a 1-inn or 2-inn pitcher. Those are not his ike forte (former pat running back). He was given a limit of 85 pitches by Tito, who yanked him after 83 through 7 innings. Maybe the fact is he's throwing better now than when he used to mix in the fastball and the curve. He mixed in the curve when he wasn't throwing strikes, the fastball as well when he was at 3-0 counts when he wasn't sharp. When he is on, he throws exclusively or close to it knuckleballs because well, no one's hitting them well. As for Lackey, I'm not going to rip a guy whose wife has cancer although I roughed him up in previous post (Sorry, JL). Suffice to say, he would do better off for everyone by going home, taking care of his wife, family, and coming back with a different frame of mind next year. That's because he's a human being and has the right to go on "leave" to take care of his personal issues/problems. He should.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Dannycater your advocacy for Wakefield is breath taking. But I am 99% sure the professionals who run the Boston Red Sox hope that Mr. Lackey doesn't take you advise.

Wake is Wake. Today you can crow but soon, very soon he will go to the mound and whether it is the atmospheric pressure that day or his grip his knuckleball will stay up.

This team needs as many starting pitchers as possible on the roster and available. It is a good thing too for Wakefield that they did. Because if it was not for the fact that he was a veteran without options and Aceves had options, Wake would have been sent to minors at the start of this season. He clearly was out pitched by Aceves by a wide margin this ST.

Keep these humbling facts in mind when you call for a capable veteran starter with career stats similar to Beckett's to take the year off so as not jeopardize your man having to wait for the next injury, which is sadly as possible in any MLB season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Saltatinesmanofralphmacchia said "the more he pitches the more he is comfortable." Wakefield has hinted many times that he does not like to throw in the pen, and he is not a 1-inn or 2-inn pitcher. Those are not his ike forte (former pat running back). He was given a limit of 85 pitches by Tito, who yanked him after 83 through 7 innings. Maybe the fact is he's throwing better now than when he used to mix in the fastball and the curve. He mixed in the curve when he wasn't throwing strikes, the fastball as well when he was at 3-0 counts when he wasn't sharp. When he is on, he throws exclusively or close to it knuckleballs because well, no one's hitting them well. As for Lackey, I'm not going to rip a guy whose wife has cancer although I roughed him up in previous post (Sorry, JL). Suffice to say, he would do better off for everyone by going home, taking care of his wife, family, and coming back with a different frame of mind next year. That's because he's a human being and has the right to go on "leave" to take care of his personal issues/problems. He should.

I'm not going to hold any previous comments about Lackey against you, and he needs to do what's best for him and his family, I completely agree.

Now back to Wake.  I agree that Wake is far more effective as a starter, before the season began I wrote a post outlining Wake's 2010 season with a stat breakdown for relief appearances/spot starts and outings where he was consistently starting (at least back to back starts counting start 2 as a consistent start).  The findings were pretty dramatic showing that Wake was actually very servicable in a consistent starting role compared to relief/spot start duty.

I actually missed a stretch of gems when checking game logs for a previous post, Wake had 3 straight QS's from 6/19 - 7/2, so my apologies for that.  He only one 1 of those outings.  However, I maintain that it is rare for Wake to string together high quality starts the knuckleball is too unpredictable for prolonged consistency.

One of the big changes this year is that Wake is throwing his curve more than in the past (6.2%, his highest level since 2004) and as hard as he's thrown it since 2002 (63.2 mph).  Meanwhile his FB rate is at a low (since 2002 earliest records I have) of 4.8%.  

Hopefully the success continues, but I'm expecting a bumpier ride than we've seen from Wake so far.  He'll throw gems one day and then get blasted the next.  That's just how it goes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]He didn't pitch that well overall in his starts, but he went a full month at the start of the year in the pen, 

I object.  He started 2010 in the rotation, for just about a month.  Check the game logs.  Dice was hurt and Wake was the #5 guy for 4 starts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Last winter I wasn't sure lester & bucholtz could repeat their '10 season, nor was I convinced that beckett would make it back...so I said that wakes would be the sox best, even though notching only 13 w's and having an era near 5..he would eat innings

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

fivekatz, and so does every other No. 5 starter on every team. You want him to be perfect? Not going to happen. Not going to happen for Cliff Lee or Jon Lester. You are pointing the negative that I'm talking about. You are taking the Tito stance. Oh what do I do when his knuckleball is up?? Panic! Panic!...Oh my god, it's like you don't even take into consideration how many implosions every other Sox starter has because they throw conventionally. You're a Wake hater, I get it. Don't have confidence in him. I guarentee as long as he's in the rotation, the Sox will win many more games than any other No. 5 starter in baseball. Save for maybe the Yanks No. 5. Every time Wake takes the hill as a starter, I am a more relaxed fan because I know exactly what he has to offer to the table. I have no idea at times what some of the other starters will have...i.e. Dice K prior to being hurt, and the other guy, who I like really, but has been an overall disappointment in a Sox jersey, but somehow has been projected to be this "horse." Wakefield is a "horse" too. If you let him. If you don't, then shame on the manager.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

JB, you are correct, and he did poorly in a few starts, and pitched well in a few others, like a lot of starting pitchers do early in a season. With that said, once he was removed from the rotation, from that point on, he was yo-yoed. It really didn't matter if he did super well either because there was no room for him in the rotation the moment Lackey was acquired.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you. : This is generally true, but with the knuckle ball the results are largely out of Wake's control.  The context of my original comment about not throwing back to back gems was not meant in a disrespectful way, simply that it's rare to see in general from Wake.    You need to check your facts though.  It's ignorant comments such as this that give Wake supporters a bad name.  He had a 2 month stretch last year where all he did was start (5/23 - 7/20) and he didn't manage the get back to back wins, nevermind back to back games like the last 2 he's thrown. Wake pulled it off and I'm happy for him. http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?playerid=219&position=P&season=2010
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I disagree with the high-lighted. Wake has better control of his dancer than you might think. Check his SO/BB ratio the last 2-3 years. How many times does a conventional RedSox pitcher actually hit his spots? Wake has remarkable control over a pitch that doesn't have to hit a certain location to be effective.

I see little difference between a Beckett  riding fastball that misses by two feet - or a poorly-thrown knuckler.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Damn. I just passed 15K - and missed it:(

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In honor of harness' 15000th post

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

i think the bottom line is that I see about 90 percent of the fans who if you put a gun to their head would say they don't want Wakefield on the Sox roster, that they wanted him gone in ST. Now that he's pitching well, it's back on the bandwagon for several. At least I'll give 5katz credit for continuing his company-line "he was lucky he wasn't sent to minors to begin season," which is like saying to somebody who gets paid poorly, "just be happy you have a job." Ridiculous jibberish, considering that Wakes actually earns his money and does his job, and has been doing his job, at a high level for a 5th starter despite being constantly jobbed by the Sox manager last 2 years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you. : I disagree with the high-lighted. Wake has better control of his dancer than you might think. Check his SO/BB ratio the last 2-3 years. How many times does a conventional RedSox pitcher actually hit his spots? Wake has remarkable control over a pitch that doesn't have to hit a certain location to be effective. I see little difference between a Beckett  riding fastball that misses by two feet - or a poorly-thrown knuckler.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I'm going by Wake's statement that when he throws it not even he knows where it's going at times.  K rate is a poor metric to show control for a knuckleball pitcher since they are largely a product of swings and misses (which can actually benefit from unpredictability and not being in the strike zone).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Gilbert, Wakes doesn't walk hitters except in a few starts when he clearly doesn't have control. In fact, his control is outstanding compared to many No. 5 starters in all of baseball. Except, like I said, too many fans are comparing him to No. 1 or No. 2 starters in what they expect production wise and what they get in reality.