Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.

He started 2010 in the rotation, for just about a month.  Check the game logs.  Dice was hurt and Wake was the #5 guy for 4 starts.

He went from starter to relief or relief to starter 10 times in 2010.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Bless you Carnie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

on moon's last post, find me another pitcher with that stat? anywhere in baseball...it's insanity, how anyone can throw effectively like that is Bob Stanley in his prime in his 20s. Not too many others

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Even Stanley wasn't shuffled like that.
    Year to year, he knew his role and prepared for it.
    The similarity was that Stanley Steamer had two variations of that nasty sinker - where as Wake also has two variations of his dancer. Each pitch allows for longevity and diversification of roles.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you. : I disagree with the high-lighted. Wake has better control of his dancer than you might think. Check his SO/BB ratio the last 2-3 years. How many times does a conventional RedSox pitcher actually hit his spots? Wake has remarkable control over a pitch that doesn't have to hit a certain location to be effective. I see little difference between a Beckett  riding fastball that misses by two feet - or a poorly-thrown knuckler.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]Harness, I have seen on more than one occassion Wake has said he has NO idea why it does what it does when it isn't dancing or dancing too much. He has talked about how he reaches out to the fratenity of knuckleballers past because there isn't much of anything a traditional pitching coach could do for him. He went on to say even that has limitations because they threw theirs with different techinque than he has in his career. Wake has always been candid about this, often in the context of defending the catchers who have to run to backstop after the more errant pitches but those aren't as destructive as when the just stay high.

The difference between a Beckett fastball riding two feet wide is that happens far less often and when it does the catcher or the pitching coach can go to the mound and tell him his shoulder flew open.

And Danny for the record I am not a Wakefield hater and neither is Terry Francona. While your advocacy for Wakefield is heart warming I do fear it limits accepting his limitations. He was in the bullpen because the RS believed in him to start this season. His ST versus Alfredo Aceves earned Alfredo the job. Look at Aceves career stats and you probably are going to ask yourself what in the world was Cashman thinking.

The idea that the RS should just shelf John Lackey for the year to insure Tim Wakefield starts for the remainder of the year is I am glad to say a fans and not the RS perspective.

Fellas, if the RS are lucky enough to make the playoffs I hope that John lackey and not Tim Wakefield is the 4th starter. This is based on lower career ERA, a marginal lower WHIP, fewer HRs allowed, better so/bb ratio and far fewer wild pitch/PB and a better chance to contain the running game. And the fact that either of our catchers is comfortable with him.

But a Wakefield hater? Please. I am catching grief from the other half of BDC for suggesting that Aceves be the swing man when Lackey comes back rather than Wake because I think Aceves is more versatile. Whatever my opinions are have nothing to do with personalities, right or wrong they are what I think the RS might do in the interest of winning a WS
    championship.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The fans who thought Wakefield should have started the season in the minors should all be executed. Firing squad, no questions or comments, just mowed down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's a joke, laugh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I was just thinking about Softlaw getting a last cigarette...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

harn, i think we can give him that last cig. he's earned it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]He started 2010 in the rotation, for just about a month.  Check the game logs.  Dice was hurt and Wake was the #5 guy for 4 starts. He went from starter to relief or relief to starter 10 times in 2010.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

No disagreement Moon.  I was responding to his statement that Wake spent the first month of the season in the pen, which was blatantly false.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

jeez, gilbert, I already said you were right on that...wow, thin-skinned there, buddy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE] harn, i think we can give him that last cig. he's earned it.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Yeah. But would he accept a union-rolled cigarette?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a8b332670-03da-42c9-b50a-93b907893c21&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:8b332670-03da-42c9-b50a-93b907893c21Post:ec5b7ad6-7c69-40cb-9674-d00a84dc4875">Re: Please apologize louder so Mr. Wakefield can hear you.:
    He started 2010 in the rotation, for just about a month.  Check the game logs.  Dice was hurt and Wake was the #5 guy for 4 starts. He went from starter to relief or relief to starter 10 times in 2010.
    Posted by moonslav59

No disagreement Moon.  I was responding to his statement that Wake spent the first month of the season in the pen, which was blatantly false

Yes, I meant it to be a piggy-back on your point, not a criticism of it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah. But would he accept a union-rolled cigarette?

Maybe a pipe

would suffice

before he's iced

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Speaking of which...this board has been terrific during his Memorial Day absence.
    Only Pike has been a disruptive force. In his case, I'll gladly buy him a whole pack of cigarettes!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe he does have one small sense of honor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe he does have one small sense of honor.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You posted it twice. Do you have a hard time believing it?