Please Bailey and Farrell, Prove Me Wrong!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Please Bailey and Farrell, Prove Me Wrong!

Please note that this was posted before Bailey entered the game.  I'm not pulling an ADG here.  I don't want to see him close this tight game that the team has worked so hard to win.  I hope John Farrell proves me wrong.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Please Bailey and Farrell, Prove Me Wrong!

This is a huge outing real here.  A good game puts some distance between Bailey and failure.  A bad outing will be demoralizing and throw Bailey's status even more into question.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Took me longer to type that than it took Bailey to get through his outing.

I'd have DLR here in the morning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Yuck.  Ok, no more Bailey as closer.  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Well he just proved you and a million other fans RIGHT,

When will he ever learn; when will he ever learn? (Apologies to Pete Seeger)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Took me longer to type that than it took Bailey to get through his outing.

I'd have DLR here in the morning.

Thanks for the laugh, JB.  I needed it.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Well he just proved you and a million other fans RIGHT,

When will he ever learn; when will he ever learn? (Apologies to Pete Seeger)

Hopefully now so this doesn't stay a rhetorical question.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

This is a huge outing real here.  A good game puts some distance between Bailey and failure.  A bad outing will be demoralizing and throw Bailey's status even more into question.

What's to question? DL or Pawtucket; there is now other answer. Farrell has proven to be a very stubborn person; maybe this will some kind of lesson; but I doubt it!)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

We'll never know how many runs Bailey might have surrendered because he surrendered the walk-off without recording an out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Berkshirerick. Show Berkshirerick's posts

Time to make a roster change - Bailey can not bring Boston to the play-offs. Make either one of the Japanese players the closer or push the trade button on someone. It is obvious Bailey can't get he job done!!!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kaiser Souze. Show Kaiser Souze's posts

Solutions? I heard a suggestion of Dempster closing. Keep Webster starting. Crain from white sox?  Tazawa? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bailey is actually kind of amazing.  He doesn't just blow a lead/save, he does it without getting anyone out.  The home run ball wasn't that bad except that three of his four pitches to that hitter were in exactly the same spot and all cutters. 

I agree with Farrell's philosophy--that you give a closer every opportunity to save himself.  But he needs to have a thinner skin and get the shakes when Bailey goes in the way most of us fans do.

I think it was Peter Abraham who wrote that a bad closer can also ruin team morale, and tonight was a perfect example.  Lackey pitched well and with a lot of guts.  Uehara pitches a perfect inning.  And Bailey gives up a walk and a dinger without getting anyone out. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

What's to question? DL or Pawtucket; there is now other answer. Farrell has proven to be a very stubborn person; maybe this will some kind of lesson; but I doubt it!)

I disagree.  He has hit rock bottom and definitely shouldn't close.  He's got a little over a month before the trading deadline.  He can be used in lower leverage situations.   He may or may not progress, but there is still a chance he could work his way back, or at least show enough promise to enhance his trade value.  In the meantime, the Red Sox can see if there's an in-house solution or whether they need to look elsewhere for a closer (see Closer Tryouts thread).   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Please note that this was posted before Bailey entered the game.  I'm not pulling an ADG here.  I don't want to see him close this tight game that the team has worked so hard to win.  I hope John Farrell proves me wrong.  

Well, I was proven right. He should not be pitching any significant innings. Farrell also better get smart on Middlebrooks. You can't have a dead out hitting 3rd baseman who should be hitting 6th, batting 8th and hitting .193.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Well, I was proven right. He should not be pitching any significant innings. Farrell also better get smart on Middlebrooks. You can't have a dead out hitting 3rd baseman who should be hitting 6th, batting 8th and hitting .193.

Of course, you posted after the fact again.  Gutless. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I posted the other night that he shouldn't be closing anymore. There's no reset button game after game. I stated he should be done.

Of course, you posted after the fact again.  Gutless. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I posted on this forum Tuesday night that is was just a matter of time before he ghacked up a big one, and there would be no one there to save his sorry hide. Next time out, thats when it was. This bum gives up a JACK every time he goes out there, just like clockwork. No way, NO FRIG-GIN WAY he gets the ball again next time theres a save chance. Who else? Anyone, anyone out there but him. Time to go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No need to bicker about who said what when.  Before tonight it was obvious Bailey had problems, but a lot of us agreed with Farrell he might still be redeemable.  Assuming Farrell demotes Bailey after tonight, the worst that can be said is he waited one game too long to do it.  Given it's still June, Farrell can hardly be blamed for wanting to give his closer every chance.  If Farrell keeps Bailey as his closer now, that will be a mistake.  There is way too much at stake to keep him in that slot--not only lost games, but lower team morale. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to klaus1954's comment:

Bailey should be evaluated based on what he does on the field.  OK, he stinks.  But last year he was blamed for being on the DL. That was illogical.

That, in and of itself, is a major admission on your part and certainly very un-Pike-like.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

No need to bicker about who said what when.  Before tonight it was obvious Bailey had problems, but a lot of us agreed with Farrell he might still be redeemable.  Assuming Farrell demotes Bailey after tonight, the worst that can be said is he waited one game too long to do it.  Given it's still June, Farrell can hardly be blamed for wanting to give his closer every chance.  If Farrell keeps Bailey as his closer now, that will be a mistake.  There is way too much at stake to keep him in that slot--not only lost games, but lower team morale. 

I can't call myself a sheriff, Max, without attacking the lynch mob leader, even if we agree on guilt of the manager.  I'm daring ADG to take a position on an in-game situation to hold him accountable for his incessant griping.  We could all bear witness to just how often he'd be wrong.  

This is baseball.  The greatest prognosticators of the game are wrong a lot.  That's why I shy away from making predictions myself.Wink

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

We'll never know how many runs Bailey might have surrendered because he surrendered the walk-off without recording an out.

Okay, he's keeping his pitch count low, and is taking the suspense factor out of the game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In general, you've about bad mouthed every RS player.  It's like with Geo and Pumpsie.  It's a bit like the strategy of betting every horse in a race, just so you can say you were right.

Sections
Shortcuts