PLEASE, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF PLACING THIS DEMISE ON TITO FRANCONA.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

PLEASE, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF PLACING THIS DEMISE ON TITO FRANCONA.......

"LET ME BE CLEAR", IT'S NOT TITO'S FAULT...... IT'S GEORGE W'a FAULT AS THE PLAYERS ARE NOT PAYING ENOUGH TAXE$....... WHAT SAY YOU ???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: PLEASE, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF PLACING THIS DEMISE ON TITO FRANCONA.......

ALTHOUGH I WILL SAY.......  GAME MANAGEMENT IS VERY PREDICTABLE AND MATER-A-FACT, QUESTIONABLE !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXNVA. Show SOXNVA's posts

Not his faulit? This is a joke, right? He has been coaching with his heart and not his mind. Obviously last nights game needed to be coached as if it were a playoff game. In a playoff game, when a pitcher appears to be gased, you get him out as soon as possible. Beckett, up to over 80 pitches far too early in the game, was gased when he allowed Davis' game-tying hit. That should have been it for Beckett. Instead, he is allowed to remain in the game until he gives up an unsurmontable lead. Dont give me the "he needed to preserve the bull-pen arms" bit. The rosters are expanded and there are other options. This is the time of year when starts are born. Instead, he is so worried about whether or not Josh would be mad at him for taking him out that he leaves him in. This is not a popularity contest.

Blame also needs to be place with Epstein. This is a year in which he has made the least amount of trades throughout the course of a season. This is not anything new to him. He realizes that he is going to have to add to a team he starts off with throughout the course of year, especially when he loses players to injury. Instead, the opt to put a band-aid on Drew and act like he is an addition to the team. Hello!! Drew was not contributing when healthy!!!

Lastly, blame lies with the players. They are not hungry for it. There is no clear leader on this team. They have too many players with "feelings" that none of them wants to step-up and say what needs to be said. Nobody wants to motivate the others. How can they when they themselves are playing like crap. The only one playing to his abilities and beyond is Ellsburry but he appears to timid to be a leader. With so many veterans, who is he to tell them that they are playing like crap.

So, not thinking that Francona does not share the blame is ignorant at best. When you have a total colapse like this, it is obvious that nothing has been done to right the ship and that begins with the Manager and ends with the players doing what they are told.

My only hope now is that the Rays go on to play the Yankees in the ALCS and they sweep them. That would leave the Yankees wishing they dealt with them now and faced Boston's lack of pitching as opposed to allowing the Rays with their pitching depth to enter the playoffs. If you dont know what I mean, the fact that only half of the starters are playing at half speed, the fact that Martin gets himself ejected so he doesnt have to stand up there and strike out thus impacting his stats, that should resonate well. I believe the only one playing hard is Cano and that is because he is friends with Ortiz. They probably have some type of side-incentive going on between the two of them. If it is injuries that they are worried about, they wouldnt have played the Sox as hard as they did once they clinched.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: PLEASE, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF PLACING THIS DEMISE ON TITO FRANCONA.......:
    Not his faulit? This is a joke, right? He has been coaching with his heart and not his mind. Obviously last nights game needed to be coached as if it were a playoff game. In a playoff game, when a pitcher appears to be gased, you get him out as soon as possible. Beckett, up to over 80 pitches far too early in the game, was gased when he allowed Davis' game-tying hit. That should have been it for Beckett. Instead, he is allowed to remain in the game until he gives up an unsurmontable lead. Dont give me the "he needed to preserve the bull-pen arms" bit. The rosters are expanded and there are other options. This is the time of year when starts are born. Instead, he is so worried about whether or not Josh would be mad at him for taking him out that he leaves him in. This is not a popularity contest. Blame also needs to be place with Epstein. This is a year in which he has made the least amount of trades throughout the course of a season. This is not anything new to him. He realizes that he is going to have to add to a team he starts off with throughout the course of year, especially when he loses players to injury. Instead, the opt to put a band-aid on Drew and act like he is an addition to the team. Hello!! Drew was not contributing when healthy!!! Lastly, blame lies with the players. They are not hungry for it. There is no clear leader on this team. They have too many players with "feelings" that none of them wants to step-up and say what needs to be said. Nobody wants to motivate the others. How can they when they themselves are playing like crap. The only one playing to his abilities and beyond is Ellsburry but he appears to timid to be a leader. With so many veterans, who is he to tell them that they are playing like crap. So, not thinking that Francona does not share the blame is ignorant at best. When you have a total colapse like this, it is obvious that nothing has been done to right the ship and that begins with the Manager and ends with the players doing what they are told. My only hope now is that the Rays go on to play the Yankees in the ALCS and they sweep them. That would leave the Yankees wishing they dealt with them now and faced Boston's lack of pitching as opposed to allowing the Rays with their pitching depth to enter the playoffs. If you dont know what I mean, the fact that only half of the starters are playing at half speed, the fact that Martin gets himself ejected so he doesnt have to stand up there and strike out thus impacting his stats, that should resonate well. I believe the only one playing hard is Cano and that is because he is friends with Ortiz. They probably have some type of side-incentive going on between the two of them. If it is injuries that they are worried about, they wouldnt have played the Sox as hard as they did once they clinched.
    Posted by SOXNVA
    OK, OK, OK...... YOU MADE ME SAY IT..... "REGIME CHANGE IS NEEDED"  !!!!!     OK,OK, OK,  !!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

The spineless Theo Epstein is more to blame.     He never was a good judge of talent.     He's got a long list of flops.     He needs to head for the dry cleaners and haul out his gorilla suit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: PLEASE, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF PLACING THIS DEMISE ON TITO FRANCONA.......:
    Not his faulit? This is a joke, right? He has been coaching with his heart and not his mind.Obviously last nights game needed to be coached as if it were a playoff game. In a playoff game, when a pitcher appears to be gased, you get him out as soon as possible. Beckett, up to over 80 pitches far too early in the game, was gased when he allowed Davis' game-tying hit. That should have been it for Beckett. Instead, he is allowed to remain in the game until he gives up an unsurmontable lead. Dont give me the "he needed to preserve the bull-pen arms" bit. The rosters are expanded and there are other options. This is the time of year when starts are born. Instead, he is so worried about whether or not Josh would be mad at him for taking him out that he leaves him in. This is not a popularity contest. Blame also needs to be place with Epstein. This is a year in which he has made the least amount of trades throughout the course of a season. This is not anything new to him. He realizes that he is going to have to add to a team he starts off with throughout the course of year, especially when he loses players to injury. Instead, the opt to put a band-aid on Drew and act like he is an addition to the team. Hello!! Drew was not contributing when healthy!!! Lastly, blame lies with the players. They are not hungry for it. There is no clear leader on this team. They have too many players with "feelings" that none of them wants to step-up and say what needs to be said. Nobody wants to motivate the others. How can they when they themselves are playing like crap. The only one playing to his abilities and beyond is Ellsburry but he appears to timid to be a leader. With so many veterans, who is he to tell them that they are playing like crap. So, not thinking that Francona does not share the blame is ignorant at best. When you have a total colapse like this, it is obvious that nothing has been done to right the ship and that begins with the Manager and ends with the players doing what they are told. My only hope now is that the Rays go on to play the Yankees in the ALCS and they sweep them. That would leave the Yankees wishing they dealt with them now and faced Boston's lack of pitching as opposed to allowing the Rays with their pitching depth to enter the playoffs. If you dont know what I mean, the fact that only half of the starters are playing at half speed, the fact that Martin gets himself ejected so he doesnt have to stand up there and strike out thus impacting his stats, that should resonate well. I believe the only one playing hard is Cano and that is because he is friends with Ortiz. They probably have some type of side-incentive going on between the two of them. If it is injuries that they are worried about, they wouldnt have played the Sox as hard as they did once they clinched.
    Posted by SOXNVA

Live by the HEART, DIE by the HEART!

I think you may be right....  This may be his fatal flaw????  He sticks with "the guys who brung 'em."  This year????   He's stickin with the guys who HUNG 'em!  With ALL the empirical data STATISTICALLY PROVING they would not come through for him in key situation after key situation, Francona stubbornly stuck to his guns............. over & over & over............   It almost never worked........
    Yet, he persisted.......  He will likely stick with this game management philosophy of "going with his heart," to the BITTER END!

How he does not pinch hit for Salty, bases loaded, is beyond me!  It was arguably the most important game of the season, & he wouldn't make the key calls giving us A SHOT at winning the game!  There were several key at bats in this game, where a pinch hitter was the clear choice!!!!  Just one example amongst thousands this season.

I love Francona!  I will always LOVE Francona for what he did for the Red Sox!!! BUT!!!!!   MUCH / MOST of this season is on him for his game management!  ALSO..... There is something FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG with this entire TEAM.  TOO MANY guys having INDIVIDUAL GREAT YEARS, but there really seems to be no leadership??????  "NO HEART!!!"   There is something fundamentally wrong with the chemistry on this team?????  It may not be completely fair to hang it all on Francona, BUT it is unavoidable that HE gets a lion's share of the blame!!!!!  Too many guys came out of Spring Training NOT PREPARED!!!!  Whether it is the fault of pitching coaches, hitting coaches, base coaches, the training staff, the ultimate blame for this team falling apart has to rest on Tito's shoulders. 

MGMT. takes a huge share of the blame also.......  NOT having ANY minor league starting pitchers prepared to come up & help out, when it was CLEAR AS DAY that we would LIKELY need some, is inexcusable!!!!!

This has been a tale of two cities........  It was the best of times!  It was the WORST OF TIMES!!!!!!

This TEAM may not have the heart to see this thing through???????????????????
    BUT!!!!  Red Sox fans still have HEART!  We will go down swinging & pulling for this TEAM!!!!  If our hearts are broken????  It will be because we left it ALL OUT on the field!  We can still do this!  WE still believe!  NOBODY's quitting on this team!!!!  WE are there 'til the END.  Perhaps the BITTER END?????  BUT!  THERE!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Theo Epstein is the person with the most blame.  You just cannot make very bad decisions over four years and be so aggressive with free agency and not expect the team to suffer.  He should be fired. The team may need a change of managers but Tito was handed some bad personnel  to fill holes that were never properly filled.

Dice-K, Lugo, Drew, Lackey, Crawford, Cameron

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Time for the owners to step up and take over: and clean house.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

You can't blame Theo. He fills the roster with proven talent and Francona get's too little out of it. If Sciosia or Maddon had this talent they'd win 120 games every year.

Tito really does manage like he's either in a coma, or he doesn't know the rules. It's like somebody need to tell him, "you know you can steal Crawford here right?" or "gee, if you bunt those guys over you'll have the tying run on third and the winning run on 2nd."

I guess this person would have to be there when they practice and tell Tito that he should have the players work on bunting if he's going to ask them to bunt. And work on holding on runners, and where to throw the ball from the outfield in different situations, and who should back up what, and studying pitchers' moves on the bases, and so on and so on.

Anybody that can look at the team's pathetic discipline in every area and not blame the manager must have something invested in the manager. Tito is to blame for the ridiculous play of our beloved team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

I'm finally ready to lay a good part of the blame on Francona.  I place 100% of the blame on him for the 2-10 start.  They were no where near ready coming out of ST and that was HIS FAULT!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to PLEASE, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF PLACING THIS DEMISE ON TITO FRANCONA.......:
      "LET ME BE CLEAR", IT'S NOT TITO'S FAULT...... IT'S GEORGE W'a FAULT AS THE PLAYERS ARE NOT PAYING ENOUGH TAXE$....... WHAT SAY YOU ???
    Posted by Bill-806

FrancoMa's a horrible manager. He should have been let go years ago.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

7.18 ERA in the last 14 games folks. 7.18 ERA in the last 14 games.

The pitching unraveled. And in part because it was smoke and mirrors. When first Bedard and then Beckett on consecutive days hurt themselves and had to be skipped over those guys.

This rotation at that point was:

Lester
    Lackey (having the worse season of any RS starter in history)
    Wakefield
    Miller
    Weiland

That my friends is a bad rotation and managers are only as good as their roster.

While some don't want to accept this premise, when the starters fail, they tax the bullpen which as by-product of the over work performs badly. The offense is almost always playing from behind and that leads to under performance.

While many in RS Nation spent their summer debating the merits of the SS range and the RF options, it was always about the pitching. It was miraculous that the RS cloaked as longs as they did the May loss of Dice K, June lost of Buch, the all-awful year of Lackey and the sub-par years from Miller and Wake.

Blame the field manager if you like, blame the GM for not having the resources to have enough depth in the minors to have a rotation that ran 10 deep but no matter who you wish to blame to feel better, this was a failure of starting pitching with its roots in long term injuries to 2 of the 5 starting pitchers and the total ineffectiveness of John Lackey. Everything else is a smoke-screen to ignore the obvious.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Theo's gone for sure. Tito is likely gone too, if John Henry does the right things. We had all year to fix the easy problems and we let them fester. Now the team is so out of sync as to not really be called a team anymore. I really believe that Becket and Lester are ready for new leadership and new direction...that's why they have shut down...and they ARE our pitching staff right now. Perhaps we can keep our pitching coach, but if I were Curt Young, I would want out too. A+ for Jacoby...too bad he is the only gamer left.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

7.18 ERA in the last 14 games folks. 7.18 ERA in the last 14 games. The pitching unraveled. And in part because it was smoke and mirrors. When first Bedard and then Beckett on consecutive days hurt themselves and had to be skipped over those guys. This rotation at that point was: Lester Lackey (having the worse season of any RS starter in history) Wakefield Miller Weiland That my friends is a bad rotation and managers are only as good as their roster. While some don't want to accept this premise, when the starters fail, they tax the bullpen which as by-product of the over work performs badly. The offense is almost always playing from behind and that leads to under performance. While many in RS Nation spent their summer debating the merits of the SS range and the RF options, it was always about the pitching. It was miraculous that the RS cloaked as longs as they did the May loss of Dice K, June lost of Buch, the all-awful year of Lackey and the sub-par years from Miller and Wake. Blame the field manager if you like, blame the GM for not having the resources to have enough depth in the minors to have a rotation that ran 10 deep but no matter who you wish to blame to feel better, this was a failure of starting pitching with its roots in long term injuries to 2 of the 5 starting pitchers and the total ineffectiveness of John Lackey. Everything else is a smoke-screen to ignore the obvious.
    Posted by fivekatz

5katz,

While I agree with you for the most part, blaming the starting pitching is not mutually exclusive of placing a great deal of blame on Tito & the FO!

Tito's penchant for CONSISTENTLY going to a DRY WELL has been correctly  chronicled ad nosium!!!!  I won't bore you with the minutiae once again.....

The FO blew their wad on Dice-K & Lackey, who we knew were more than suspect before the season began.  Yet MOST on this site trumpeted the false assumption that we had the best starting pitching in the MLB.  The FO & Tito knew better.  Within the first 2 weeks of the season, EVERYONE knew we were in big trouble with respect to starting pitching.  When Buch went down, we knew the core had been exposed on our starting pitcher reactor!  Picking up Bedard was a good start, but with serious concern over Lester, & a possible serious injury to Beckett, the FO made NO SERIOUS MOVES!  There was NOBODY being prepped in the minors for a very possible total meltdown of said reactor?????  THIS WAS INEXCUSABLE!!!!!!  The long held axiom of not bringing up a young gun too early should have been put aside!  ALL HANDS on deck!!!!  Miller, Weiland, Wake, & even Bedard were more than suspect, yet it seems the FO did absolutely NOTHING!!!   HOW CAN THAT BE??????????????

Again......  Your premise about the Starting Pitching is right on!!!!!   BUT!!!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In a collapse like this , someone has to pay the price. Usually it is the manager. Tito has had a nice run. It may be over.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

Theo's gone for sure. Tito is likely gone too, if John Henry does the right things. We had all year to fix the easy problems and we let them fester. Now the team is so out of sync as to not really be called a team anymore. I really believe that Becket and Lester are ready for new leadership and new direction...that's why they have shut down...and they ARE our pitching staff right now. Perhaps we can keep our pitching coach, but if I were Curt Young, I would want out too. A+ for Jacoby...too bad he is the only gamer left.
    Posted by PetesCall

Blunder has to go. Obviously he doesn't have the ability to fix this mess he's created. So it starts with him, and once a new GM is in place FrancoMa won't be allowed to stay in the building any longer than it takes to clear out his things. No self-respecting GM would hire the dope.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

You can't blame Theo. He fills the roster with proven talent and Francona get's too little out of it. If Sciosia or Maddon had this talent they'd win 120 games every year. Tito really does manage like he's either in a coma, or he doesn't know the rules. It's like somebody need to tell him, "you know you can steal Crawford here right?" or "gee, if you bunt those guys over you'll have the tying run on third and the winning run on 2nd." I guess this person would have to be there when they practice and tell Tito that he should have the players work on bunting if he's going to ask them to bunt. And work on holding on runners, and where to throw the ball from the outfield in different situations, and who should back up what, and studying pitchers' moves on the bases, and so on and so on. Anybody that can look at the team's pathetic discipline in every area and not blame the manager must have something invested in the manager. Tito is to blame for the ridiculous play of our beloved team.
    Posted by Scott8340

It all started back in spring training when they never worked on the fundamentals and conditioning.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShepherdCall. Show ShepherdCall's posts

I have to say that I disagree.

Josh Beckett and John Lester are supposed to be STOPPERS, ACT like it.  Eight years ago when the team was scoffing, Pedro stepped up that put an end to it.   CC Sabathia does it; Cliff Lee does it; Halladay; Verlander.  

What bothers me about John and Josh is when they are not on the lose big and when they are on they are lights out; there is no, I don't have my best stuff so let me battle.  

We have been waiting for Beckett to be the GUY for a while now and he is not the ACE we expected.  Besides that playoffs in 07 he has been a disappointment. 

The only thing I blame Tito for is the fiddling with Crawford in the batting order; oh, we think sixth may be good; and then all the fiddling with the right hand versus left hand; make a call.  

It is like Tito and Theo did not know they were going have so many left-handers; basically they did not expect Ellsbury and Ortiz to have the years they did; now they are going to have to open the pocket books.  

You have to go with Ellsbury, Crawford, Pedey, Gonzalez, Ortiz, Scutaro, Drew, Aviles, and Salty  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I'm finally ready to lay a good part of the blame on Francona.  I place 100% of the blame on him for the 2-10 start.  They were no where near ready coming out of ST and that was HIS FAULT!
    Posted by KRomine

I agree that someone is definitely to blame for the Red Sox not being prepared at the beginning of the season.  

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Why is it that nothing is guaranteed in life. Every MLB franchise has a comparable list of free agent signings that turned out to be busts. We are not that unique. Cashman's list is twice as long.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

I'm willing to place this one on W.  Is there anything he didn't screw up? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

Come on guys you can't have it both ways.

If Francona is as bad a manager as so many here think then who else can you blame for him still being our manager except Theo???

He has managed the Red Sox for years under Theo and the FO. Obvioulsly if so many here think Francona is an idiot, one then needs to ask why is it that it Theo has not done something about it?  

I am not defending Francona, only pointing out that Theo is a very big part of the problem. IMO at least as big as Francona. We can change managers in a few weeks the mess Theo has made will take years to undo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

Come on guys you can't have it both ways. If Francona is as bad a manager as so many here think then who else can you blame for him still being our manager except Theo??? He has managed the Red Sox for years under Theo and the FO. Obvioulsly if so many here think Francona is an idiot, one then needs to ask why is it that it Theo has not done something about it?   I am not defending Francona, only pointing out that Theo is a very big part of the problem. IMO at least as big as Francona. We can change managers in a few weeks the mess Theo has made will take years to undo.
    Posted by tetonman50
      Good rational post.  Appears that some fans apparently long for the golden days when the team was managed by a decades long series of racists, alcoholics, drug addicts and incompetent nitwits.  The current manager is none of those and I personally cannot think of a single "available" manager who would do better than the current one under the circumstances.  Even among the guys who might be considered or offered the job, many would probably say thanks, but no thanks.  You could not pay me enough............. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Oh I LIKE that "Sit and Spit" nickname for Coma!

Sections
Shortcuts