Please let Papi go!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Re: Please let Papi go!

Many here want him signed for what a DH gets on the open market which is about $6 mil. per year. A two yr. $12 mil. contract would be OK with me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

We are going to end up over-paying for 25 homers and 80 ribbies... that is where his numbers will be in 2012.

And why beat the best offer, why not just match it? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

The sox brass will let him test free agency and if someone wants to offer a guaranteed 3rd year(Toronto, TB, Anaheim, Baltimore) than he would be foolish not to take it.  I don't see that happening but it is a remote possibility. My guess is he tests free agency and gets nothing more than 2 years guaranteed and signs here for 2 years at approximately 21 million total.  This game is unfortunately a "what have you done for me lately" proposition and although he had a great season by any stretch(top DH offensive numbers yet again) the fact remains  that the highway is littered with 35+ year old heavy set hitters breaking down rapidly.  Could he buck those odds? It is certainly possible but realistically I do not think so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Risking $7 mil. for a year sounds legitimate to me. Of course, he can break down. There are no guarantees or sure things. He is also a fan favorite.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Papi is a legend in Boston, the reverse curse Yankee killer.  His attitude the last years has been less than heroic.  He will only get worse he is no longer a leader. If he won't sign for less and understand who he is at this stage of his career, let him go and thank you for 2004.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Papi is still productive..No 3 year deals though.  He is at a stage where today could be his last at bat.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to Re: Please let Papi go!:
    [QUOTE]Papi is a legend in Boston, the reverse curse Yankee killer.  His attitude the last years has been less than heroic.  He will only get worse he is no longer a leader. If he won't sign for less and understand who he is at this stage of his career, let him go and thank you for 2004.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Letting Papi go and using Youk as the DH implies
    1) Youk can stay healthy
    2) He can hit 35 HR and drive in 110. 
    3) Aviles can play 3rd eavery day for the first half of the season until WM is ready.

OK, for one, if Papi walks, the DH role would likely be filled by Lava and Youk, so it is doubtful Aviles would be the FT 3Bman. We also have Lowrie to play 3B vs LHPs and his numbers are super in that role (when healthy). We could also use Scutaro at 3B in a pinch or if Iglesias is called up. Middlebrooks should not be counted on in 2012, but could help.

Secondly, you are missing one huge piece to the equation: nobody doubts we'd be taking a step down at DH/3B if we let papi walk and fill his shoes with Lava and (essentially) Aviles/Lowrie/Middlebrooks, but if we go by your numbers of $15M ('12) and $10M ('13) with incentives, think of where and how much we can improve other high need areas with that kind of money. We have an easy opportunity to upgrade our RF OPS by over 100 points with minimal investment. That alone could compensate for the downgrade at DH. The left-over cash could be spent on a starter or releiver... our biggest area of need.

too many question marks.  Keep Papi for 2 years.  Ist year at $15M and the second at $10M with incentives. 

I'd offer him $10M with easy incentives to reach $12M and hard incentives to reach $13M. Year two: $8M or $10M if he reached the 2012 incentives plus the same 2012 incentives. Year 3: $8M with incentives and a $2M buyout. Minimum he makes $20M/2: Max he makes $26M/2 or $37M/3.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]One home run in September. 1 for 13 his last post season appearance. How about we also sign Yaz as well. He did win the triple crown in 1967, so I guess we owe him as well.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Kind of silly to keep bringing up the 1 for 13 his last post season appearance.
    It was a 3 game sweep in which the entire team only had 15 hits and only one player had more than 2 hits.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Allow me to repeat myself ...

Papi is still a very fine player.  Older, yes.  Worth getting rid of?  Not unless we have another bonafide slugger to replace him.

If there are questions to that claim - bonafide slugger

Last season, 4th in AL in OBP - .398
       4th in Slugging in AL - .544
       4th in OPS - .953
       9th in extra base hits
       9th in walks

and was an All-Star ....

Lousy bum.

And these constant assertions that he quit on the team is so idiotic it gives being idiotic a bad name.

The whole offense struggled against some of he better pitching in the game.  It is a constant in baseball that players have times they cool off.  Papi had been hitting quite well ...

I find it remarkable and laughable that when the same man was batting in the .230s after inuries took thier toll earlier (a few seasons ago) and was "washed up" then, BUILDS HIIMSELF BACK UP, FINISHES A SEASON WHERE HIS BA WAS OVER 20 POINTS HIGHER THAN HIS LIFETIME AVERAGE AND HIS OBP WAS ALSO 20 POINTS OR MORE HIGHER THAN CAREER NUMBERS THAT HE SOMEHOW IS NO LONGER ESSENTIAL OR FAR WORSE, GAVE UP!

I have to say that those statements are among the dumbest things I've ever heard.

It's like those people who believe landing on the moon was a hoax.

Utterly stupid.

Of course, they have their reasons ... but still more lame than congress.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]I've said it before, and I'll say it again just to be repetitive. No one since Yaz has ever more earned the right to retire in the home whites than David Ortiz. 20M for two years isn't overpaying for the production Papi gave us last year, if he can keep up that pace. Throw in a mutual option for a third year and Ortiz retires as a Red Sox IMO. To me, that's a good move on at least two levels. First it brings back the premier DH in all of baseball to the Sox. Second it's a good PR move when it comes to attracting big time ballplayers to Boston. Let's face it, the Red Sox public image has really taken a beating in the wake of the September collapse and the hatchet jobs by the Boston press on the Club in general and Francona in particular. That being said, if I were GM I might tell David's agent to come back with the best offer he can get and we'll beat it. I don't think David could get 10M per from anyone else but the Sox, especially with the Yanquis out of the picture.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

To compare anyone from Yaz' era to a player of today is foolish. Players back then made decent money, but weren't part of the uber-rich, and took pride in what they do. Respect WAS a big part of it.

Now? Ortiz has made close to $100 MILLION F U C K I N G DOLLARS. He earned the right to cash THOSE checks, he doesn't "deserve" and isn't "owed" a single thing more. I could argue that fans "deserve" him playing a season or two for FREE, he "owes" it to the fans who have supported him through slumps, old age, and steroid scandals to give a little back in the form of free games played. How about that? No, all these years, and this money, all this for a BASEBALL PLAYER, and he still whines about wanting more.

It's "just business" when athletes want every penny, and it's "just business" when you're a 36 year old baseball player looking for multiple years in the post-steroid era.

Good Bye Ortiz. Thanks for the memories, you've been paid handsomely, good luck with the rest of your career. Hopefully ELSEwhere.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I'd give Ortiz a 2 year contract.  Who out there is better?  The Sox need to focus their free agent dollars on RF and pitching. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yeah - let him go and have one of the kids DH. I know tha will make all us Yankee fans happy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

common guys there is not a good enough RF out there to sign, play the kids and see what is up in late June.... 2013 FA Market is HUGE!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]common guys there is not a good enough RF out there to sign, play the kids and see what is up in late June.... 2013 FA Market is HUGE!
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Are you calling this a "bridge year,"  B?  :oD

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

If the RS don't give Papi a contract, you can be sure NY will.
    The RS are stupid to let the best DH in the league walk away, just as they were stupid to not re-sign Beltre and Vmart, opting to sign Crawford to a rediculous 7 year contract instead....way to go Theo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]If the RS don't give Papi a contract, you can be sure NY will. The RS are stupid to let the best DH in the league walk away, just as they were stupid to not re-sign Beltre and Vmart, opting to sign Crawford to a rediculous 7 year contract instead....way to go Theo.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you.  If Ortiz isn't resigned by the Red Sox, another team will sign him.  Although, I am not sure that the Yankees need someone else to DH for them.  The Yankees already have enough aging players that can DH. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

These threads are a tad silly.  If the Red Sox get him for a reasonable price at two years they should keep him.  If he wants crazy money for three years they should let him go.

It isn't rocket science. Put a reasonable offer out there to him.  If he takes it that's great.  If he doesn't thank him very much for all his years of service and move on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

SinceYaz this is not bridge year... we must have a closer and another starter in order to remain a contender. On the offense we can afford to let Ortiz walk and trying Iglesias as short, we do not need to ad a single outsider for their offensive abilities. We can easily be in first place in July and then make any move we want:  another starter, reliever,  short-stop, right-fielder, or whatever.

This team has more weapons than most teams even without replacing Ortiz. I fail to understand why so many of you are either blind or just taking the path to gluttony.

9) Crawford
    1) Elles
    2) Pedroia
    3) AGon
    4) Youk
    5) Lavarnway
    6) Kalish/Reddick
    7) Salty/Hernandez?
    8) Iglesias

PLEASE ANYONE HERE WANT TO GO TO THE MAT ON PROVING THIS ISN'T a GREAT LINE-UP ALREADY?  ANYONE? Or do you all need Pujols and Fielder to sooth the loss of Ortiz?

The above line-up, providing we have added a good #3 starter, and have an effective closer, will keep us in 1st place all summer long.

ADJUSTMENTS Can be made in JULY is necessary... 

WHAT DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET?

There I feel better, screaming alone on a Internet forum. Thanks

Embarassed

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]SinceYaz this is not bridge year... we must have a closer and another starter in order to remain a contender. On the offense we can afford to let Ortiz walk and trying Iglesias as short, we do not  need to ad a single outsider for their offensive abilities. We can easily be in first place in July and then make any move we want:  another starter, reliever,  short-stop, right-fielder, or whatever. This team has more weapons than most teams even without replacing Ortiz. I fail to understand why so many of you are either blind or just taking the path to gluttony. 9) Crawford 1) Elles 2) Pedroia 3) AGon 4) Youk 5) Lavarnway 6) Kalish/Reddick 7) Salty/Hernandez? 8) Iglesias PLEASE ANYONE HERE WANT TO GO TO THE MAT ON PROVING THIS ISN'T a GREAT LINE-UP ALREADY?  ANYONE? Or do you all need Pujols and Fielder to sooth the loss of Ortiz? The above line-up, providing we have added a good #3 starter, and have an effective closer, will keep us in 1st place all summer long. ADJUSTMENTS Can be made in JULY is necessary...  WHAT DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET? There I feel better, screaming alone on a Internet forum. Thanks
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

We got Scutty already, so plug him in the 8 slot.
    Sign Cody Ross cheap and we may gain 100 points on RF OPS.
    Use the rest of the money to trade for a high priced starter and to sign a couple low-cost 5th/6th starter-types and the rest on the pen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I like your post moon though I think at the very least we should bring back Bedard or sign someone who is a capable #3 or #4 over their career. I meant to add Scutaro to the Iglesias spot (Iglesias/Scutaro 8).....

I have never been a big Buerhle fan but unlike Beckett he has pitched many years of 200+ innings (11 consecutive), and he knows the AL.

Cody Ross would be fine, I do not really want to see Beltran or Cuddyer unless they want to sign for one year - which would never be the case.