Please! Stop the musical chairs game!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Please! Stop the musical chairs game!

I would think 66 games is more than enough to evaluate this group. Please stop with the musical chairs. Stick Middlebrooks at third, Iggy at SS, and let's get on with the rest of the season. Drew can't hit; we know that. Middlebrooks is inconsistent. We lnow that too. We also know if Middlebrooks stays with his short, quick, swing he'll be fine. Drew has been around long enough for mgmt to know what he can and can't do. What does a guy (a cinch gold-glover in his fuiture) have to hit before he's got the job? .500?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Please! Stop the musical chairs game!

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

I would think 66 games is more than enough to evaluate this group. Please stop with the musical chairs. Stick Middlebrooks at third, Iggy at SS, and let's get on with the rest of the season. Drew can't hit; we know that. Middlebrooks is inconsistent. We lnow that too. We also know if Middlebrooks stays with his short, quick, swing he'll be fine. Drew has been around long enough for mgmt to know what he can and can't do. What does a guy (a cinch gold-glover in his fuiture) have to hit before he's got the job? .500?

Continue with the musical chairs as long as possible up until the deadline.  We certainly don't know if the Red Sox will be able to rely on Middlebrooks as a power right-handed bat and whether or not he is going to be a liability or a force in the line up.  How Middlebrooks plays in the coming weeks will give the team a better chance to decide if they should deal Drew or whether they need to maintain depth on the left side of the infield because of uncertainty.  

Unless Iggy goes into a major dive with the bat, it looks like he's earned a spot.  For the other two, keep the music running as long as possible.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Drew can't hit; we know that. Middlebrooks is inconsistent.

If Drew is more valuable defensively, and is hitting better than WMB, why start WMB?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Projected rest-of-season WAR* as reported at FanGraphs:

Jose Iglesias: ZIPS 0.6, Steamer 0.1

Will Middlebrooks: ZIPS 0.5, Steamer 0.9

Stephen Drew: ZIPS 1.1, Steamer 0.7

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=10231&position=3B/SS

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4251&position=SS

* Wins Above Replacement

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

This from a poster who wanted Salty benched.

Conan = brainless.No Value.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The OP makes no sense at all.  Whatever Farrell is doing, it is working big time.  He has definitely juggled lineups except for the 1 slot, 3 slot, and 4 slot which have belonged to Ellsbury, Pedroia, and Ortiz.  And he platoons against left starters.  Drew is not hitting well, but he is hitting better than Middlebrooks who has fewer runs, fewer rbi's, and 100 points lower OPS with the same number of at bats.  Plus Middlebrooks has committed like 7 errors to Drew's 1.  It is not musical chairs when a player is called up from AAA to fill in for an injured player.  This has already happened numberous times this season and has not been a problem.

What I do like about the OP is its exquisite timing.  The Sox have the best record and the best hitting in the AL, and bosoxmal announces to one and all that the manager is an idiot for not playing Iglesias more. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Middlebrooks is having a much worse offseason then Drew. Drew is still a top offensive performer at this position. He keeps going cold but ever time he goes cold his average doesn't drop to as low as it was before. That is a good sign. At this point Middlebrooks should be in AAA.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think he has merit here. People should know where a poster is coming from me they make a post.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

If Drew is more valuable defensively, and is hitting better than WMB, why start WMB?

Drew isn't more valuable defensively. And he's hitting .223. He'll likely be somewhere in the /225 - .230 range all year. If that! His range is nowhere near what Iggy shows. A fair to good utility infielder; and that's about it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

Middlebrooks is having a much worse offseason then Drew. Drew is still a top offensive performer at this position. He keeps going cold but ever time he goes cold his average doesn't drop to as low as it was before. That is a good sign. At this point Middlebrooks should be in AAA.

[/QUOTE]

He's hitting .223, and that's about where he'll be in September.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think he has merit here. People should know where a poster is coming from me they make a post.

[/QUOTE]

Posters that become defensive over a Conan post are often blind to their own stupidity.  Conan is like a posting vampire that lives off of stupid ideas.  He would have no sustainance if this were an intelligent forum.  He is vital part of the bdc food chain. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Yeh; wasn't that almost a year ago? And, as I recall, they did start giving him less playing time. Right now, Salty is nearing all-star status. Soon as he flattens that uppercut swing a little, he will be. He's also throwing better, keeping balls in front of him better, and hitting in the .260s. I suspect Jason V. is respsible for some of this improvement. I give him a lot of credit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

Drew isn't more valuable defensively. And he's hitting .223. He'll likely be somewhere in the /225 - .230 range all year. If that! His range is nowhere near what Iggy shows. A fair to good utility infielder; and that's about it.

[/QUOTE]

Then why not play Iggy at 3rd and Drew at SS, instead of Iggy at SS and WMB at 3rd?  Drew and Iggy is a better defensive and offensive alignment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just so I understand, the .223 is a problem, but WMB's .195 is fine?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i wouldnt start either drew or iggy over Wm...we need a power hitter and WM is that guy..who cares what his average is? like Papi, Napoli, & SAlty he is there to provide power...leave the OBP to the other guys....Drew is fine defensivily but he is nowhere as advertised at bat..at some point the OP is right - we are going to have to ditch Clay M or Wilson for Aceves and start Iggy over Drew. But anyone who suggests replacing WM at third with Drew is a moron. Not only are they worlds apart in run production/power but one is young and the future - the other will be an unpleasant memory in a few months. Watching folks trying to defend Drew starting is one of the most entertaining things I have seen on this forum in all these years being here. I wanted  jackie Bradley to start but it was apparent with Nava tearing it up that our problem was solved in a good way. Now that Iggy is making Drew irrelevent, we have folks bending themselves into pretzels to justify Drew on this team. He makes Iggy work harder, he has contributed to chemistry of the team, blah blah blah. How about just being happy Iggy is working out so well? I would rather have Drew then Pedro C but thats about it. 

As always - 100% correct!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i wouldnt start either drew or iggy over Wm...we need a power hitter and WM is that guy..who cares what his average is? like Papi, Napoli, & SAlty he is there to provide power...leave the OBP to the other guys....Drew is fine defensivily but he is nowhere as advertised at bat..at some point the OP is right - we are going to have to ditch Clay M or Wilson for Aceves and start Iggy over Drew. But anyone who suggests replacing WM at third with Drew is a moron. Not only are they worlds apart in run production/power but one is young and the future - the other will be an unpleasant memory in a few months. Watching folks trying to defend Drew starting is one of the most entertaining things I have seen on this forum in all these years being here. I wanted  jackie Bradley to start but it was apparent with Nava tearing it up that our problem was solved in a good way. Now that Iggy is making Drew irrelevent, we have folks bending themselves into pretzels to justify Drew on this team. He makes Iggy work harder, he has contributed to chemistry of the team, blah blah blah. How about just being happy Iggy is working out so well? I would rather have Drew then Pedro C but thats about it. 

As always - 100% correct!

And I find it entertaining to read all you Farrell bashers castigate a manager and GM who transformed a dead last team into the best record in the AL.  Whatever Farrell is doing, is working.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it for awhile.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

i wouldnt start either drew or iggy over Wm...we need a power hitter and WM is that guy..who cares what his average is?

WMB SLG% = .391

Drew SLG% = .386

Past the fact that their SLG%'s are identical, it's silly to say that you don't care what someone's average is.  In almost an identical amount of ABs, Drew has more runs, hits, triples, RBIs, SBs, and 18 more walks.

In the power area, Drew has 5 HRs and 3 3Bs, while WMB has 8 HRs and -0- 3Bs.  The difference between the (3+5) and the 8 are negligible.  Compared to the extra 18 walks, it isn't even discussion-worthy.

In addition, it is two players going in opposite directions.  In his last 41 games, WMB's OPS is .523.  How can anyone suggest starting a guy who isn't even touching the ball?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Our best team right now is obviously Drew at short, Iggy at third and WMB on the pine.  WMB is the guy who has to snap out of it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i still believe this 100%:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/the-official-and-quoti-think-middlebrooks-will-be-a-bust-and-quot-thread/100/6293639

the Official "i think Middlebrooks will be a bust" thread...

posted at 6/4/2012 3:58 PM EDT

• slasher9
    • First: 9/22/2006
    • Last: 6/13/2013

i really hope he proves me wrong.  (well, only if he stays in a RS uni)...
    Flame away but honestly nothing you can say 1 month into his Major League career will change my mind.
    oh and he has yet to get under the microscope of what is red sox v yankees...
    + they are already putting a shift on against him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Our best team right now is obviously Drew at short, Iggy at third and WMB on the pine.  WMB is the guy who has to snap out of it.

How can he snap out of it on the bench?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Projected rest-of-season WAR* as reported at FanGraphs:

Jose Iglesias: ZIPS 0.6, Steamer 0.1

Will Middlebrooks: ZIPS 0.5, Steamer 0.9

Stephen Drew: ZIPS 1.1, Steamer 0.7

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=10231&position=3B/SS

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4251&position=SS

* Wins Above Replacement

What is Jesus Montero's projected WAR?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How about let's put a wager on Drew's AVG winner picks loser's signature for a year? You get under 250 I get over 250 extact is a draw.

Also what will Middlebrooks's at the end of the year?