Pocketing money? Shedding salary only for profit?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Pocketing money? Shedding salary only for profit?

I see a lot of people accusing ownership of shedding salaries with only the intention of pocketing the money.

Anything is possibe, but this is not true right now, and can't possibly be true before April, 2013 when the NEXT season starts. They are paying the rest of the salaries for ALL players moving for the remainder of the year. They save nothing, and get nothng for the money spent.

IF, next April, the Sox have added nothing, don't seem willing to add anything, and still have prices as they do...THEN you can complain about it.

Spending money for the sake of spending it is exactly what got them into this mess. It will take a few years to get a payroll back up unless they do it impatiently and without due dilligence.

I've been very critical of ownership, and many of those criticisms will remain (especially the Ace Scalpers union...that's a slap in the face to fans), but right now, this is unjustified.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Pocketing money? Shedding salary only for profit?

Correct, it's so stupid I can't even laugh at them yet.  It's been 24 hours and people are already complaining that this is all about ownership pocketing money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Many posters, including myself have talked about being handcuffed by Theo's stupid large contracts.  Now the RS are free of them and can finally build a team that plays baseball to play baseball.  Way to early to accuse ownership of anything other than ridding themselfs of the shackles that Theo wrapped them in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

agree 100%...This ownership, if anything, has never gone the cheap route. They will spend for players, just more wisely going forward. I really dont believe it will take a few years either. With the right moves, player health, and playing up to their potential, they could contend NEXT YEAR. Yeah, I said it...and I believe it.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

Since last year all i have heard is, get rid of Beckett, get rid of Crawford, get rid of Agon, well they did not matter what their reasons are they did it. So all the haters who called Crawford, Crawful and other names should be happy. I dont want to read, look at Agon hitting 320 or Crawford stealing 60 bases next season, or Beckett winning 16 games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: Pocketing money? Shedding salary only for profit?":
    agree 100%...This ownership, if anything, has never gone the cheap route. They will spend for players, just more wisely going forward. I really dont believe it will take a few years either. With the right moves, player health, and playing up to their potential, they could contend NEXT YEAR. Yeah, I said it...and I believe it. Posted by southpaw777
    LOL!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Not really, although no one could blame them for doing so....However, I see the Sox retooling to speed, defense, pitching while getting younger and contracts under control !! As much as I like A-Gon, his lack of speed combined with Big Papi was tough to watch that forced the team to play the Tito Francona, "keep the line moving" stuff .......  Now Bobby V. or any other manager can manage and play baseball with the whole book !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Pocketing money? Shedding salary only for profit?:
    agree 100%...This ownership, if anything, has never gone the cheap route. They will spend for players, just more wisely going forward. I really dont believe it will take a few years either. With the right moves, player health, and playing up to their potential, they could contend NEXT YEAR. Yeah, I said it...and I believe it.
    Posted by southpaw777

I believe it too, it's not that much of a stretch.

-Buccholz needs to do what he did this year.
    -Doubront and Morales need to put together complete seasons pitching comparably to this year.
    -Lester needs to return to career norms, or above 3 are moot
    -Bailey needs to be healthy

If those can happen, I think they'll be in fine position. A little timely hitting, and a better all around attitude could see this team make the playoffs, absolutely.

I've seen teams for the past many years make the playoffs with talent levels comparable to what the Sox have, right now, sometimes less so.

Pitching, pitching, pitching.

I see little help out there this offseason, but a little patience for future FA classes and their own guys to develop could yield huge results.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Pocketing money? Shedding salary only for profit? : I believe it too, it's not that much of a stretch. -Buccholz needs to do what he did this year. -Doubront and Morales need to put together complete seasons pitching comparably to this year. -Lester needs to return to career norms, or above 3 are moot -Bailey needs to be healthy If those can happen, I think they'll be in fine position. A little timely hitting, and a better all around attitude could see this team make the playoffs, absolutely. I've seen teams for the past many years make the playoffs with talent levels comparable to what the Sox have, right now, sometimes less so. Pitching, pitching, pitching. I see little help out there this offseason, but a little patience for future FA classes and their own guys to develop could yield huge results.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

My post was very reasonable and not all rah rah. If certain things happen, which are very very possible, theres no reason to think this team couldnt contend next year...apparently though old sourpuss Alibi got a laugh out of it...Good thing I dont take his over reactionary and unrealistic opinions seriously.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

Correct, it's so stupid I can't even laugh at them yet.  It's been 24 hours and people are already complaining that this is all about ownership pocketing money.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars

Well is this not a symptom of what is wrong with society as a whole?  We all want to have what we want... most of us want to have something better... butg let an owner have those same desires and it hinder us having exactly what we want and the "Game's on".

Americans feel altogether too damned entitled to have everything they want when they want it.... 

I (for one) truly do not care whether John Henry wants to save some money ( and pocket it).  He is entitled to gain for his work also... People disgust me when they get upset because someone is more successful than they are and wants to keep HIS or HER own money rather than have it go to something the populace desires.

IF he wants to pocket more money that is fine with me.... IF they put an inferior product on the field then we can all pocket our own money and not give it to the team....

STOP being jealous of another person's success.... stop demanding that they do what you want with the fruits of their success.  IF most people put more effort into their own success instead of into attcking another's we might find out how great things could turn out again.

It is John Henry's business... if he desires to pocket more money from his past success.... HE CAN DO THAT.... We didn't have a world series winner for about 100 yrs..... then we had two... and YES HE DID BUILD THAT! 

Instead of whining... stop piching into the man's company... but then again that meabs that YOU would have to be responsible for your own actions.... when you miss your hometown team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

maybe we should give it more than one day to see what happens with management's money management....they have never been cheap so im hopeful they will just be smarter with signings.....agon is tough to see go but beckett and crawford needed to be sent packing and that was the only way LAD would make the trade...kudos to Ben for a bold, necessary move

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Posted by southpaw777

Definitely agree with you.  They just traded some of Theo's mistakes.  I would imagine that Beckett will be a much better pitcher in the National League.  All of this flexibility gives the Red Sox the money to spend on improving the pitching. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

maybe we should give it more than one day to see what happens with management's money management....they have never been cheap so im hopeful they will just be smarter with signings.....agon is tough to see go but beckett and crawford needed to be sent packing and that was the only way LAD would make the trade...kudos to Ben for a bold, necessary move
    Posted by georom4

The next bold move I (think) I'd like to see...

Cherrington not throwing money at someone this offseason.

I don't really like anyone coming up for FA, most are 30+, and none really offer anything the Sox need.

Add good players, over time. This group, RIGHT NOW, has potential enough to make the playoffs. Key acquisitions, correct acquisitions need to be made. Not just some "big splash" along the lines of Crawford or Lackey.

Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Ortiz and Ellsbury are enough hitters for a good team.

Lester, Doubront, Morales, Buccholz can definitely be a solid group of pitchers.

A group similiar to the Millar/Mueller types are what's needed. Not a cornerstone, big-money guy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Pocketing money? Shedding salary only for profit? : Well is this not a symptom of what is wrong with society as a whole?  We all want to have what we want... most of us want to have something better... butg let an owner have those same desires and it hinder us having exactly what we want and the "Game's on". Americans feel altogether too damned entitled to have everything they want when they want it....  I (for one) truly do not care whether John Henry wants to save some money ( and pocket it).  He is entitled to gain for his work also... People disgust me when they get upset because someone is more successful than they are and wants to keep HIS or HER own money rather than have it go to something the populace desires. IF he wants to pocket more money that is fine with me.... IF they put an inferior product on the field then we can all pocket our own money and not give it to the team.... STOP being jealous of another person's success.... stop demanding that they do what you want with the fruits of their success.  IF most people put more effort into their own success instead of into attcking another's we might find out how great things could turn out again. It is John Henry's business... if he desires to pocket more money from his past success.... HE CAN DO THAT.... We didn't have a world series winner for about 100 yrs..... then we had two... and YES HE DID BUILD THAT!  Instead of whining... stop piching into the man's company... but then again that meabs that YOU would have to be responsible for your own actions.... when you miss your hometown team.
    Posted by FenwayChuck

Excellen post.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts