Poll: When Lackey returns, who is your 5th starter?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Poll: When Lackey returns, who is your 5th starter?

Wakefiled.  Aceves then returns to the BP as a 7th inning guy who can pitch several innings if needed, and spell Bard (who needs it...he pitches way too many games, IMO).

Aceves is the better pitcher, but his value is far above Wakefield's when used in the bullpen, and not so much when used in the rotation, where Wakefield has been known to get on a run.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Aceves can give you 7 innings a night when hes fully stretched. Figure out the rest. You go with your best option to win and IMO, Aceves is the guy. I love Wake for everything hes done, but hes not as a FT starter anymoew. I believe Wake will breakdown if used too much like he has the last few years. when he was in the rotation, the last couple years he was always on the DL.. That worries me..

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

When Wake went to the rotation, did it hurt the bullpen?

When Aceves went to the rotation, did it hurt the bullpen?

If Wake returns to the bullpen, does it help the bullpen?

If Aceves returns to the bullpen, does it help the bullpen?

I could rest my case there, but I feel it necessary to point out that Aceves has never been a full-time starter in the MLs and pitched 7 innings every 5 days for any amount of time (Wakefiled has, though not for a few years).  Aceves is, unfortunately:  1) still an injury risk himself; and 2) still somewhat unproven.  He will not pitch this well every time out.  If he were that good, he would have been in the Yankees rotation and as untouchable as Jon Lester.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Aceves is making his case for the spot.  I don't care about his value in the pen.  If he keeps going out every five and pitching with this much poise and sharpness, he gets the job.  The man is nasty.  I was reluctant to trust him at first due to the SNL Skit-worthy sweat issue.  But I am over it.  i don't care if he turns the mound into  a mud puddle.  If he can sustain this level of pitching through a couple more starts, I go with Alfredo.  Theo might finally have come up with a winner in the low risk/high reward pick-up game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Do you all remeber the first 12 games of the year?  Teams and players can look pretty uncharacteristic over a short sample.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Poll: When Lackey returns, who is your 5th starter?:
    [QUOTE]  WAKEEE, BACK TO THE PEN..... ACCEVES IS THE REAL DEAL !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Love the way Aceves pitches. Defense actually has a chance to stay alert the whole game!! Send Dice a nice note, thank him for his contribution, and explain that he can rehab in Japan for the rest of the season (read, also, forever), and tell Lackey he is #5 until he earns #4.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

If Wake can pitch relatively effectively, I'd keep him in the rotation and put Aceves in the bullpen simply because it gives the pen better depth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefiled.  Aceves then returns to the BP as a 7th inning guy who can pitch several innings if needed, and spell Bard (who needs it...he pitches way too many games, IMO). Aceves is the better pitcher, but his value is far above Wakefield's when used in the bullpen, and not so much when used in the rotation, where Wakefield has been known to get on a run.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Exactly,  Aceves is better but Wakefield can give you quality starts in the 5th spot, but is more of a black hole in the bullpen.  It's still a tough decision after see how well Aceves has been pitching, but I guess this is a better problem to deal with if both are pitching well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think if Wake goes full time he WILL breakdown..he did the last 2 years he was in the rotation.. back, calf etc...then we have NO Wake at all.. If Aceves keeps pitching like this, he deserves and has earned a chance. Id rather give a young arm a chance if its deserved..but thats just me..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

give it more time..then decide

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Do you all remeber the first 12 games of the year?  Teams and players can look pretty uncharacteristic over a short sample.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Of course.  could be an abberation with Aceves.  But there is no harm in slotting him in and then seeing how he does.  If he can't sustain this level of pitching as a starter, well, Wake (or Felix) will still be there, and Alfredo's services will be welcome back in the pen.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Southpaw, I suspect the same is true for Aceves.  Fulltime in rotation and he is likely to break down as well, as he did last year.

If Wake goes into the rotation and Aceves goes back to the bullpen, and then Wake breaks down, then Aceves goes back into the rotation.  Your argument is to keep Wake in the bullpen, where he has a very small and limited role, just so that he doesn't break down and the Sox lose him entirely (from performing his very small and limited role).  Doesn't make sense.  Wakefield's sole purpose on this staff was to be the 6th starter when needed.  His time has come.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CORRADJ. Show CORRADJ's posts

Is this a poll about our opinion or what will actually happen? Wakefield will be the guy, as he should be IMO. Francona, as you know, loves his veterans. Also, he's very well aware that Wake is close to 200 wins, as well as the all-time leader for wins in a Sox uniform (currently held by Clemens). 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]give it more time..then decide
    Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE]

That's all fine and good, but Lackey is expected back June 5th.  Just one more start to consider.

Personally, I think it's a very difficult question.  Aceves adds a lot of value as a bullpen piece, but he's looked better than Wake in the rotation.  Aceves has a career 16-1 record, he doesn't lose you games.  I think it really depends on who you get rid of when Lackey comes back.  I'm thinking Atchison gets sent down, and I think Wake can take over his role fairly easily.

Aceves for the rotation spot!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

At this point it has to be Aceves, Wake has been Mr. Reliable but when you come down to who has earned it at this point AA has by far performed more consistently would like to see Millwood re-emerge and be a solid No. 5.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Par, While I agree with most of your points and respect what you contribute to the board, I think Wake has already been very valuable out of the pen this year and does have value there. Aceves had an issue with his back last year, but i think NY not liking his "attitude" was the bigger reason for letting him go..I dont think you can go wrong either way (Wake or Aceves) as the #5, but IMO,I think Wake is more of a risk than Aceves..We can agree to disagree on this one...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Is this a poll about our opinion or what will actually happen? Wakefield will be the guy, as he should be IMO. Francona, as you know, loves his veterans. Also, he's very well aware that Wake is close to 200 wins, as well as the all-time leader for wins in a Sox uniform (currently held by Clemens). 
    Posted by CORRADJ[/QUOTE]

He's not touching the Sox record this season for wins, even if he starts the rest of the year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Wake has been Mr. Reliable
    Posted by bbenton87[/QUOTE]

What exactly do you mean by this?  He is a model of inconsistency due to the nature of his pitch.  He can get shelled one outing then come back and throw a CG shutout.  Over the past couple years he's also been prone to injuries, so I just don't see the Mr. Reliable label.

No dis-respect meant to Wake, and he's great as a #6, but throughout his career his performances have been very volatile, pitching like an ace at times, while other times looking like he shouldn't even be in MLB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

I hate to say it---but Wake has to be the 5th starter.  Aceves does have much more value in the pen.  Plus, to be realistic--those two should just combine to be the 5th starter.  Wake goes 5, Aceves 4.   And we all know Wake will break down at some point and Aceves slips in.  Wake is not great out of the pen--a la Schilling.   The only consideration--Aceves is a bit of a headcase.  That is the only reason the Yanks let him go.  Stewing in the bullpen will probably not be good for him. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: When Lackey returns, who is your 5th starter? : What exactly do you mean by this?  He is a model of inconsistency due to the nature of his pitch.  He can get shelled one outing then come back and throw a CG shutout.  Over the past couple years he's also been prone to injuries, so I just don't see the Mr. Reliable label. No dis-respect meant to Wake, and he's great as a #6, but throughout his career his performances have been very volatile, pitching like an ace at times, while other times looking like he shouldn't even be in MLB.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

What I mean by Mr. Reliable is the fact that when the Sox have needed him to step up over the last 5 years he has done it more times then not I dont expect perfection from a knuckleballer at 45 years old but he has been a rock for us maybe I am being sentimental but I am sure glad he is on our side.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: When Lackey returns, who is your 5th starter? : What I mean by Mr. Reliable is the fact that when the Sox have needed him to step up over the last 5 years he has done it more times then not I dont expect perfection from a knuckleballer at 45 years old but he has been a rock for us maybe I am being sentimental but I am sure glad he is on our side.
    Posted by bbenton87[/QUOTE]

Ok, that's certainly a fair statement that he seems to come through when he's needed most, and he's been around forever so he's certainly been a rock in that regard.  I just think that Aceves gives us a better chance to win consistently than Wake in a starting role.

There's really no clear cut answer here, but Atchison is just being used in a mop up role currently, and if he goes down to AAA, there's no reason Wake can't fill that same role, and provide the occasional spot start as needed (which would be when the Sox need him most). 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: When Lackey returns, who is your 5th starter? : Ok, that's certainly a fair statement that he seems to come through when he's needed most, and he's been around forever so he's certainly been a rock in that regard.  I just think that Aceves gives us a better chance to win consistently than Wake in a starting role. There's really no clear cut answer here, but Atchison is just being used in a mop up role currently, and if he goes down to AAA, there's no reason Wake can't fill that same role, and provide the occasional spot start as needed (which would be when the Sox need him most). 
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on Aceves he gives us more consistency which is what you need for any success but I just refuse to bash Wake like some do on here yes he can be aggrivating but I say let him ride out on his horse because after everything he has done for the Sox they owe him the opportunity (everyonce in a while)

Sections
Shortcuts