Poll: When Lackey returns, who is your 5th starter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Poll: When Lackey returns, who is your 5th starter?

In Response to Re: Poll: When Lackey returns, who is your 5th starter?:
    [QUOTE]I posted this in another topic: "Wake's ERA is under 4 (3.96) as a starter, and has a 5.31 ERA as a reliever. However his ERA as a reliever is offset by a single implosion (much like how you can't judge Albers by his 3.93 ERA), in a loss VS. Tampa Bay in which Daisuke had his infamous super implosion game, Wakefield was put on extreme mop-up duty, pitching 3.1 innings to just plain get us out of that game without our bullpen being wrecked. In that game Wakefield gave up 4 runs. Without that game Wake's ERA is 3.04. I'm aware you cannot do that when talking about season totals, an ERA is an ERA. However , when judging consistency, you do not want skewed stats. With a 5.31 ERA, it looks unreasonable to put Wake in a 2 or 3 run game as a reliever, however it is not. Wakefield is still what he always was, whether he's starting or relieving, use him Francona!" To go along with that, Alfredo put up a 2.60 ERA from the bullpen, and a 1.36 ERA as a starter (however 2 starts is half the sample size of 4 when comparing to Wakefield). Alfredo is now the better pitcher that is clear, but both are good pitchers. The question is what do you want to strengthen more, you're number five slot of the starting rotation, or the bullpen? Honestly, I choose the 'pen. I think Alfredo being in the 'pen puts less pressure on Francona to use Bard every day, which will probably make Bard better in the long run. It pushes Albers back to being a number 7 inning guy, instead of the number 8 inning guy he imploded as. If Jenks and Wheeler were pitching effectively, I'd say keep Alfredo in the rotation, but right now niether of them have merited much trust.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Good analysis.  Personally, I prefer to strengthen the back end of the rotation.  Getting consistent innings out of the 5 spot reduces the wear and tear on the bullpen arms and keeps everyone fresher, allowing them to be more effective later in the season.  Honestly right now I see Albers as a 7th inning guy (not the 8th inning guy who imploded).  I see Bard and Hill sharing those 8th inning duties now that Hill isn't the only lefty in the pen.  When the pen is overworks, 7th innings guys end up pitching in the 8th sometimes, a great way to avoid this is to get consistent innings from all of your starters.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I would rather have wakefield, a sreaky pitcher, in the rotation, rather than Lackey, a consistently bad pitcher, in the rotation.
    Posted by soxforlife22[/QUOTE]

So you didn't watch last season?  Lackey lead the team in quality starts meaning that he consistently kept the team in games (6+ IP, 3 or fewer ER).  That hardly seems consistently bad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Uh, no, the reason he's still here is because he signed a lifetime contract with the Sox, who have unlimited team options on him for as long as they desire. 
    Posted by CORRADJ[/QUOTE]

Uh, no.  The Sox declined their perpetual option after the 2009 season.  He's currently in the final year of a 2 year deal, without any options (at a lower base than the options were on the old deal).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

'pen or rotation, either is a good choice for Aceves. I see your point of view as well, it's a pretty hard call to make. Right now, Wake just has a more reliable sample size.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]'pen or rotation, either is a good choice for Aceves. I see your point of view as well, it's a pretty hard call to make. Right now, Wake just has a more reliable sample size.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]
    That pretty much is my stance.  I agree Wake has the bigger sample size, but Aceves hasn't struggled in his entire career.  For me it's pretty much a draw, with the tie breaker being Aceves has a future on the club in a more conventional role.  I'm not as convinced that Wake will be coming back given his age.  Certainly a good problem to have.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

First of all i wouldn't rush Sha-Lackey back into the rotation! Aceves has never lost as a starter!!! Wakefield has been everything for the Sox but most of his work has been as a starter. I'm Tito and Theo I tell Sha-Lackey wait his turn for his return to the rotation. I'm not going to jinx this team by his returning. Also the duo of aceves has won 4 straight and they have a combined era of 1.98 and a whip of 0.93..... Sha-Lackey has an ERA of 6.00 enough said...Just a side note Dicek is probably done for quite awhile,so the 5th starter will be either Lackey,Wakes or Aceves and Doubrant will be optioned back to Pawtucket,the bigger question might be what happens with Millwood does he opt out of his minor league deal? Shoot if I'm the GM of the Pawsox i ask them to send him all three of the guys Millwood,Lackey and Doubrant so i can win the first half of the season down on the farm!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Last year John Lackey gave us 33 starts, of a 4.40 ERA dispite a ridiculous .319 BABIP. The league average for 2010 was .290, that's .30 points higher, which makes a huge difference (it is also .25 than his career average). His WAR last year was 4.0, that's .3 better than Buchholz last year, getting the 2010 Lackey back in the number 4 spot would be huge for this team.

Sections
Shortcuts