Poll: Which revelation ticked you off most?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Poll: Which revelation in most recent report about Red Sox dysfunction ticked you off most?

starting pitchers eating,drinking and playing video games during sox games. that totally pizzed me off. when beckett saw that he was no longer a cy young candidate he totally quit on this team. plus he looked like he had put on about another 20 lbs as well. and how about the so called "sprained ankle"????? man. no doubt about it. they quit on us. the nation of the faithful that packed fenway every home game and spent hard earned money so those guys could drink beer and eat fried chicken instead of putting every effort they had to get us into the play offs. hey why not! they got their contracts right?
    Man, I will admit I'm probably the biggest homer in here but this just tears it man. I'm totally fkn bullsh!t!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Re: Poll: Which revelation in most recent report about Red Sox dysfunction ticked you off most?

The writing of any allegation without a  source named. It's way too easy to make stories up & claim to be protecting a source. No name, no story.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Ellsbury situation.  Here is the guy who, along with Pedroia, kept this team afloat, while guys like Youk call out Ells, but then don't produce on the field.  That is weak.  Jacoby had an MVP season, anyone hating on him b/c he was out last year is just a loser.  Trade YOUK.

Here is the thing about the beer drinking in the clubhouse.... it was going on all year, so when they were the best team in the league was it problem?  I don't think it is good for the individuals or the team but that one is going to get blown way out of proportion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The media is like sharks circling around a dead crew.

The whole business of the Boston media dredging up story after story of allegations, finger pointing and blame totally stinks to high heaven already.

It was a bad season, we've had them before and will have them again, it's over let's move and on and stop all the shouting and pointing already.

Reality shows are structured on dysfunctional people. They get high ratings. Stories about dysfunctional ballplayers sell papers( I guess) , but it is irresponsible of our own media to keep rubbing salt in the wound.

Inquiring minds may want to know, I'm not one of them. The people in charge are likely aware by now that things have to be fixed( at least I hope they do!), is it productive in any way to keep the misery alive for the whole off season?

Time to cork it and move on....don't we have a hockey team and a football team they can talk about?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyStrong. Show ArmyStrong's posts

In Response to Poll: Which revelation in most recent report about Red Sox dysfunction ticked you off most?:
    [QUOTE]The alleged distraction of Terry Francona's personal issues Starting pitchers eating, drinking and playing video games during Sox games Tim Wakefield's focus on personal goals The team's lack of leadership Jacoby Ellsbury's alleged seclusion following last season's controversy Ownership's apparent division over the signing of Carl Crawford
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

All of that is on Theo Epstein.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

i dont like the report bringing up marital problems about francona, i think that is below the belt, i am disappointed in Jon Lester for being such a follower too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In Response to Poll: Which revelation in most recent report about Red Sox dysfunction ticked you off most?:
    [QUOTE]The alleged distraction of Terry Francona's personal issues Starting pitchers eating, drinking and playing video games during Sox games Tim Wakefield's focus on personal goals The team's lack of leadership Jacoby Ellsbury's alleged seclusion following last season's controversy Ownership's apparent division over the signing of Carl Crawford
    Plus I heard on WEEI that after he was out of the running for the Cy Young Beckett said he didn't give a damn anymore.  Plus Tito wasn't focused b/c of his marital issues & alleged misuse of pain meds.  So much dirt to dig up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

I am just curious, if these reports are true, as to when Josh Beckett became a quitter?  This was the most disappointing issue to read about for me.  Something I have always admired about him, even when struggling on the mound, has been his fire and passion - his competitve nature.  The quitting just doesn't fit with his character, or at least I didn't think so.  "Sources" say that this eating and drinking in the clubhouse during games started at the end of last year and carried over into this season.  Beckett has been with this team for 5-6 seasons, and this is something he just suddenly started to do?  What changed?  The only thing I can think of is that Lackey was added to the team.  I am not blaming Lackey, because each of them need to be accountable, and the team failed miserably in many aspects leading to the collapse.  It just seems, however, that perhaps Lackey and Beckett do not make a good pair in the clubhouse, and one of them should go (they will probably both asked to be traded after all of this anyway).  

With regards to the Jacoby issue, Youk was not the only one that called him out.  Youk is, however, the only one who did not do so anonymously.  Jacoby knows this and had reportedly distanced himself from much of the team this year, with the exception of Jed Lowrie, and who could blame him?  The one thing that was clear is he came prepared to play and did not let the issue become a distration to his perfomance.  

The Francona/medication/marital issue is a non-factor IMO, and it is very unfortunate that this is being dragged into it.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

All well and good ... but BARD and PAPS blew the season up, not the beer drinkers and hell raisers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

I am most disturbed if it is true of the beer drinking behavior of Jon Lester. A guy who said Tito was like a second father, pis-ing all over Tito. A guy who had a brush with death, behaves like a tool?  I would have hoped for far better.
    As a fan since 1966, I have lived through the 25 guys 25 cab days. The ownership has every right to be very angry with the loafer, slacker types. Lackey is nothing more than an over paid, artificial excuse for a professional athlete, is there a beer league willing to take on his contract?  Perhaps in Alaska in January?
    Veritek, leadership? Was that a C on his uni, so what? Was that a white flag hanging out of his back pocket while he sat atop the steps.
    I agree, this team with the exception of Pedroia, Ellsbury, Gonzalez, and others, is very hard to like. When your product is not likeable, you cannot market, you cannot sell.  People will look for other ways to spend their entertainment dollars.
    The sad thing, this group of narcissitic mopes will not feel any economic fallout. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from REW. Show REW's posts

My biggest complaint is that high priced players can drink during games, cut back on their conditioning, and lose key games, while Tito and Theo are gone from the organization.  Lackey is now my all time least favorite Red Sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

The organization gave full support to Jon Lester during his life threatening health problems and he shows his thanks by lumping himself with the beer drinkers in the clubhouse and the making of the video.

As much as anybody, he owes the team and fans an apology.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The fact that much of it is unsubstantiated. Especially all of the stuff about Terry. Which from named sources has been called BS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is a lot not to like , but the thing that stands out the most is the behavior of the starting pitchers. They disrespected their teammates , and took advantage of a weak and lenient manager and coaching staff. They became overweight and out of shape. Their pitiful pitching performance in September was not a fluke. Lester reminds me of the good kid who fell in with the wrong crowd.  Too bad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I am most concerned with the attitude of the team. Next season, when the pressure is on, will they fold or fight? I know the stats guys like to downplay attitude, but it matters. The players don't have to get along, but they have to fight for each other. Not sure this team has that spirit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: Poll: Which revelation in most recent report about Red Sox dysfunction ticked you off most?:
    [QUOTE]The media is like sharks circling around a dead crew. The whole business of the Boston media dredging up story after story of allegations, finger pointing and blame totally stinks to high heaven already. It was a bad season, we've had them before and will have them again, it's over let's move and on and stop all the shouting and pointing already. Reality shows are structured on dysfunctional people. They get high ratings. Stories about dysfunctional ballplayers sell papers( I guess) , but it is irresponsible of our own media to keep rubbing salt in the wound. Inquiring minds may want to know, I'm not one of them. The people in charge are likely aware by now that things have to be fixed( at least I hope they do!), is it productive in any way to keep the misery alive for the whole off season? Time to cork it and move on....don't we have a hockey team and a football team they can talk about?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Some of this is salacious, but most of the stuff coming out simply paints a picture of a "boys gone wild" clubhouse, where too many simply didn't give a rip about the TEAM or the SEASON!

This is relevant, as MOST RS fans BLEED with every out!  Every at bat!  Are we a bit too invested?  SURE!  Too fanatical!  You bet!  Many / Most RS fans really count on this team!  We NEED this team!  We put out for them, & we expect them to put out for us!  You want to play in Tampa Bay, where nobody cares???  Go for it!  RS fans Love, eat, breath, sleep, RS red!  When the picture being painted comes out, story after story, anecdote after anecdote, that these guys gave up on Tito, the ownership, themselves, THE TEAM, & the fans??????  It really hurts!  It's despicable!  & it must change! 

I would seriously prefer that they saved their money on these high priced FA & fielded a competitive team of dirtdogs like Pedey! This team collapsed because of too many malcontented underperforming millionaire BRATS!  The inmates were running the asylum!!!  Even a few of the guys I have LOVED slid into this mindset!  I sensed a real sea change ever since Lackey arrived in ST last year!  THIS GUY MUST GO!!!  HE IS POISON!  I may be way off, but it seems the whole pitching staff followed him down this dirt road dead end!  GIVE HIM TO THE YANKEES!!!

It does matter! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gardenbees. Show gardenbees's posts

For me it was the excuses and disrespect for Tito and the game:

- Youk throwing Ellsbury under the bus last year

- Papi and Youk whinning about interleague play with Tito parroting his player's complaints.   So disingenuous.  A club with a $162m payroll complaining they are at a disadvantage against the lowley Pirates $40m payroll. 

- Papi whinning about wanting to get a new contract right after the All-Star break

- Papi disrespecting Tito by breaking into a press conference to complain about his stats; dropping a few 'F' bombs during live tv

- Sloppy throwing

- Lazy fielding

- Unwise base running

- Using injuries as an excuse

- Obsession with personal stats.  Wake said that he owes it to the fans to watch him get 107 wins.  Really Wake?

This was such an unlikable team.

But there is redemption:  No more JD Drew!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Re: Poll: Which revelation in most recent report about Red Sox dysfunction ticked you off most?:
    [QUOTE]I am most disturbed if it is true of the beer drinking behavior of Jon Lester. A guy who said Tito was like a second father, pis-ing all over Tito. A guy who had a brush with death, behaves like a tool?  I would have hoped for far better. As a fan since 1966, I have lived through the 25 guys 25 cab days. The ownership has every right to be very angry with the loafer, slacker types. Lackey is nothing more than an over paid, artificial excuse for a professional athlete, is there a beer league willing to take on his contract?  Perhaps in Alaska in January? Veritek, leadership? Was that a C on his uni, so what? Was that a white flag hanging out of his back pocket while he sat atop the steps. I agree, this team with the exception of Pedroia, Ellsbury, Gonzalez, and others, is very hard to like. When your product is not likeable, you cannot market, you cannot sell.  People will look for other ways to spend their entertainment dollars. The sad thing, this group of narcissitic mopes will not feel any economic fallout. 
    Posted by LeftyGrove[/QUOTE]

I am with you on this one. Lester's behavior if true is the most disturbing.  I had the same cancer as he did and to get a second chance at life and you eat and drink like they say he and others did is inexcusable.  Clearly he gained a lot of weight and his attitude on the mound was awful.  He had 3 chances to stop the bleeding when the sox were faltering and he pitched poorly in all three.

The second worst thing for me was Lackey. I think he was the ring leader in all this stuff and we all know he is all about himself.  Not only cant he pitch but I think he is/was a cancer on this team.  Its too bad because I thought when the Sox signed him that he would do well....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

Baseball is full of winers and drunks anyways. Just hillbillies with bats. "Golly gee Billy Joe, let's go hit this rock with a stick and then run in a diamond pattern and see how far we can get before someone gets the rock back in!" "Okay, Billy Bob, then what if i don't make it around the diamond" " Well, will get Billy Ray to hit the rock with a stick" ahee ahee ahee aheee.......Hillbillies. Why can't the MLB go on strike already forever. Instead we get entertaining team sports that go on strike.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

The whole can of worms is sickening.  The players are throwing each other under the bus, the media is throwing the team under the bus and of course we are looking under the bus to see what posts we can make to add more fuel to the fire.  That is one big bus!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

According to David Ortiz, the drinking, eating of fried chicken and playing video games started in 2004 and didn't stop the Red Sox from winning two World Series Championships or having the best record in baseball from May through August this year. While I am against drinking during games, in principal, I don't think that led to the downfall. It was the overall selfishness, narcisissm, laziness and complacency that engendered the demise. Guys just didn't care about winning. They didn't care about keeping themselves in optimum physical condition. That's an attitude problem more than a drinking issue. The $300 headphones and party on the yacht simply amplified the personal failings by enabling the miscreants to reinforce their petulance.

Drinking beer on days when you don't start, in and of itself, doesn't mean very much if your attitude is otherwise in the right place and you do everything within your power to win for your team. Once everything starts to fall apart, the privileges have to be curtailed. The players abused of them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]I am most disturbed if it is true of the beer drinking behavior of Jon Lester. A guy who said Tito was like a second father, pis-ing all over Tito. A guy who had a brush with death, behaves like a tool?  I would have hoped for far better. As a fan since 1966, I have lived through the 25 guys 25 cab days. The ownership has every right to be very angry with the loafer, slacker types. Lackey is nothing more than an over paid, artificial excuse for a professional athlete, is there a beer league willing to take on his contract?  Perhaps in Alaska in January? Veritek, leadership? Was that a C on his uni, so what? Was that a white flag hanging out of his back pocket while he sat atop the steps. I agree, this team with the exception of Pedroia, Ellsbury, Gonzalez, and others, is very hard to like. When your product is not likeable, you cannot market, you cannot sell.  People will look for other ways to spend their entertainment dollars. The sad thing, this group of narcissitic mopes will not feel any economic fallout. 
    Posted by LeftyGrove[/QUOTE]

I agreed about lester until I heard that it was brought out that he was only an occasional participant in the clubhouse and that he never stopped his work regiment and conditioning program. they were talking about him yesterday on
    WEEI. as for buch? he was out of the loop anyway. he wasn't going to see the ball again this year and we all knew that.

I do however totally agree that it was really going below the belt throwing tito under the bus with his off field issues. hey what can I say. people suck.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CORRADJ. Show CORRADJ's posts

The Francona thing ticked me off although it didn't surprise me as that is par for the course for the Red Sox to smear someone on their way out. 

The Wakefield thing was not revealed through investigative reporting, he came right out and said what his intentions were. 

To me the thing that bothered me the most was the eating and drinking in the clubhouse. Not that that was the sole reason for the collapse, but when you combine that with the owner's admission that overall team conditioning was a problem, you start to see the whole picture. And what takes the cake is who was involved. I expect such behavior from Lackey, but not from Beckett and Lester (especially Lester, who had to work so hard to get where he's at). That was very disappointing. It seems as if success has spoiled them into being complacent. They were lights out in '07 when they were young and hungry. Now it seems they're just content to collect a paycheck and expect us to digest whatever slop they hand us.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OZGOD. Show OZGOD's posts

Re: Poll: Which revelation ticked you off most?

And the wrist-slitting continues...

Sections
Shortcuts