Poll: Your solution to the closer problem

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Poll: Your solution to the closer problem

I think in the short term Id go with Miller. When hes on his game, which he seems to be right now, hes pretty dominant. But I think a move like Jesse Crain would be a better move, and cost less in terms of money and years over paps. Id seriously consider grooming RDLR for the position as well. His control hasnt really got any better over 5-6IP. Maybe over 1 innings he would have more success.

We also have Chris Martin and Rowland-Smith who have been very reliable in the late innings. Both would need a spot on the roster though.

So, in the very short term it would be E, but Id try and make a move for B for the rest of the season and groom F for the long term :)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I want to see what Miller can do.  He has lights out stuff, and that's what a closer needs.  To those who says he walks too many, keep in mind that he's averaging about 14.9 K's per nine innings as compared to 4.8 BB's per nine, a SO/BB ratio of 3.07.  That's not too shabby.  By comparison, Pap's numbers for 2009 and 2010 were 3.17 and 2.71 respectively. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGUBMmmQWM

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

e (for now)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

C D & E for now and if the situation doesn't improve by the end of July then A or B. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd use Uehara, but try and limit his innings as much as possible. I'd use Tazawa on days when Uehara needs rest. The problem is, who takes uehara and tazawa's place in the 7th and 8th innings?  It's interesting to note that many of our LHPs have done better than our RHPs vs RHBs. See below...

OPS against:

vs LHB:

Morales .397

Uehara  .460

Wilson   .461

Breslow .574

Tazawa  .678

Bailey     .730

Miller      .745

Morten   .818

Aceves   .857

Starters:

Buch      .535

Lackey   .591

Demp     .669

Doub      .772

Lester   .879

vs RHB:

Miller     .511

Breslow .622

Morten  .652

Uehara .730

Tazawa .796

Bailey   .881

Morales .952

Aceves  .987

Wilson   .1.055

Starters:

Buch  .535

Lest   .696

Doub  .731

Lack  .833

Demp .838

Uehara, Tazawa and Breslow have done well vs both lefties and righties.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Tazawa.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to DPapiOrtiz's comment:

a. blockbuster trade for Papelbon,

b. a lesser trade for Crain

c. Uehara,

d. Tazawa,

e. Miller

f. De La Rosa

Taz in short term. Bottom line is that we cannot give away the franchise for a closer. In the long haul, we need for Bailey to just become his self. His velocity and accuracy are below his standards. Nieves and JF have a huge problem which is oddly comparable to Tigers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Anybody but Bailey. I'd give Miller a shot. His ERA has been under 2, since April. Can't be much worse, may be much better. If not, move on the plan B

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about the 35 year old Kevin Gregg from the Cubs for a couple mid level prospects Theo still loves?

6 straight scoreless games.

2 ERs allowed in 22.1 IP (23 games) 0.81 ERA

10 saves

0.985 WHIP

Experience vs the AL East (although not always good)

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Getting the last three outs is very different than pitching in a set up role. The pressure is on. You don't know how someone will handle it until they try.  You need good stuff , preferably a dominant fastball. You need control. And you need a fearless attitude. Right now , Bailey is lacking all three . He cannot be the closer until that changes. I don't think we have an ideal candidate on the roster at this time. I think Uehara should probably get the first shot at the job , even though he is vulnerable to the long ball at times. We didn't want to give the money to Papelbon before. Now , it would probably cost us prospects, as well as his contract obligation, to get him back. I don't see that happening.  Closer by committee is not usually a good idea , but it might be our best option right now , until someone steps up and shows that they deserve the job. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I'm with the "E" crowd.

Miller is pitching well.

Get whatever you can out of him, while he is.

If he stumbles, then it's Tazawa's turn.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Tazawa. Miller has a long history of walking too many hitters. When he can control his pitches he is lights out, but too often he can't. Uehara is not an option because he will break down. And I would rather see RDLR as a SP eventually.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Papelbon is the ultimate best solution.  Will only happen in my dreams, I know, but Pap is the missing piece for this team - no doubt about it.

Someone posted about the morale buster of blown saves.  That's true.  The opposite is also true.  Knowing you got Pap to close is a morale booster.  This crap shoot style of closing we have at present is taking a toll on everybody.  I'm not slamming Bailey - the guy is struggling and its gotta be hard on him to feel like he's letting everyone down.  He isn't a closer.  A closer is a different bird.  We don't have one.  Pap was our different bird and we need him back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I'd go with Koji and Taz, the two of them.  I'd go with Koji alone but he's not good for many back to back outings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

NOT ACEVES!!! i would go with Miller then turn to Uehara if necessary

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Stay away from trades, do it internally. For the last years under LaRussa he mixed and matched his 9th inning guys for the Cards, by studying who is coming up in the 9th. Tried to stay ahead of the game. You have to work as a Manager to do this. Cant go by the same standards, this guy for the 7th, this guy for the 8th, etc.

Like the Martin and Smith idea. The Cards this year have a journeyman Pitcher closing for them, Mujica. 21 for 21 not bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Miller's wildness in past years still scares me. Uehara has best apparent talents & skills for the role, but is 38 and therefore innings-limited. Tazawa looks possible, and Rowland-Smith in Pawtuck has been lights out down there.Until demonstrated, the mental makeup/ attitude necessary is really unknown.

I guess open auditions / closer by committee for now, although that can wreak havoc on the entire bullpen if not handled perfectly. As deadline day approaches we'll have a better idea which teams might be sellers. There are many potential appropriate candidates, almost all much less expensive than Papelbon as far as money, not including prospects.

Some possible names are Steve Cishek ( Mia), Rafael Betancourt ( Colo), Glen Perkins ( Minn), as well as Crain. Even Houston Street ?

Of those I like Perkins best , however probably too much acquisition cost ( players) , and Betancourt as short-term solution IF AVAILABLE. If he doesn't give up homers at Coors Launching Pad, he'd probably succeed in Fenway, but again, he's old.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Ranaudo POR 2.15     Owens SAL 3.03    Britton POR 3.08        Barnes POR 5.87    

For Paps and Lee

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Miller has an ERA of 2.77 for the season, but 1.17 for June, 7.2 innings worth. 

He is the obvious choice, but I have a slightly different twist.  Go  with two closers, primary and alternate.  When he's rested, go with Uehara because he has the experience at closer and the right attitude. 

And let Miller be the alternate when two games in a row require closing.  In the first game, Miller would be the setup guy and pitch the 8th.  In the second game, someone else would set up and Miller would close.  If three games in a row need closing, Uehara does it, and Farrell makes a judgment call on whether Miller can go three days in a row. 

So far this year, the Sox are like next to last in save opportunities.  For this reason and others, I just do not see much sense in going after Papelbon and giving up good young talent to get him.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from doofus54. Show doofus54's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Stay away from trades, do it eternally. For the last years under LaRussa he mixed and matched his 9th inning guys for the Cards, by studying who is coming up in the 9th. Tried to stay ahead of the game. You have to work as a Manager to do this. Cant go by the same standards, this guy for the 7th, this guy for the 8th, etc.

Like the Martin and Smith idea. The Cards this year have a journeyman Pitcher closing for them, Mujica. 21 for 21 not bad.

Eternally?  As in forever?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

One thing is for certain: it won't be A. And it obviously cannot be Bailey, whose head appears to be completely messed up. Miller's a good place to start, but I'm also OK with a "by committee" approach. I've never believed you absolutely must have a set-in-stone closer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I honestly don't like the closer by committee because relievers like to know what is expected.  So, much as I like Miller right now, I see Uehara or Tazawa as the primary closer, and I see Miller and Uehara or Tazawa as the set up guys.  In games where the primary closer needs rest, go with the alternate closer, Tazawa or Miller, but use the same alternate closer every time.