Poll: Your solution to the closer problem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Re: Poll: Your solution to the closer problem

I think makeup is the key to the decision. I might actually ask who wants to volunteer for the role and whoever raises their hand give him the ball. It would not shock me if nobody raised their hand. Thats our problem.

Miller has HUGE issues with delivery. You can't be working on your delivery while also trying to close for the first time in Boston. Miller has also been used very seldom late in games. He only has 5 holds. And he seems fragile to me.

Uehara has closed in the past and I believe he didn't like it. He also failed in his playoff performances. Not sure he can handle the pressure. Not to mention the repeat outings. What if a player asks not to close?

The problem with a bull pen by committee is that EVERYBODY has to be able to handle the pressure. And because you never get an opportunity to get used to it, it makes the pressure even higher. This is not a long term option. For a week or two to figure out who can close, sure. Maybe even a good idea. Long term, no way.

Lets also not forget the Boston pressure is the most in baseball. It takes a special breed. Not sure who has it on the team. Agree though that we should try internal options first. Trading for a reliever is the last option and should occur in late July.

Although I would try Tazawa first, its fine to try Miller first. If his delivery is settled, it might work. Doubt it though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I think makeup is the key to the decision. I might actually ask who wants to volunteer for the role and whoever raises their hand give him the ball. It would not shock me if nobody raised their hand. Thats our problem.

Miller has HUGE issues with delivery. You can't be working on your delivery while also trying to close for the first time in Boston. Miller has also been used very seldom late in games. He only has 5 holds. And he seems fragile to me.

Uehara has closed in the past and I believe he didn't like it. He also failed in his playoff performances. Not sure he can handle the pressure. Not to mention the repeat outings. What if a player asks not to close?

The problem with a bull pen by committee is that EVERYBODY has to be able to handle the pressure. And because you never get an opportunity to get used to it, it makes the pressure even higher. This is not a long term option. For a week or two to figure out who can close, sure. Maybe even a good idea. Long term, no way.

Lets also not forget the Boston pressure is the most in baseball. It takes a special breed. Not sure who has it on the team. Agree though that we should try internal options first. Trading for a reliever is the last option and should occur in late July.

Although I would try Tazawa first, its fine to try Miller first. If his delivery is settled, it might work. Doubt it though.

Sensible. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd throw DLR a couple of shots next time he's up.  He's being limited this year anyway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

next time you have a shut-down closer, sign him instead of pretending it's easy to replace him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Ranaudo POR 2.15     Owens SAL 3.03    Britton POR 3.08        Barnes POR 5.87    

For Paps and Lee

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

HAHAHAHAHAHA

What is so funny both (Paps & Lee)are signed thru 2016 and the others are far from a sure thing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

bottom line is that you could have easily predicted the closer spot would become a problem the moment Papelbon signed with Phillies. From the Aceves meltdown experiment to Bailey and his injury woes, then now mental woes, to the other guy from the Pirates who I've already forgotten his name, to the White Sox disaster Jenks, and so on, and so on. The Sox will have to deal with this until again they find a top 5 in the league closer with credentials, and since they have proven they will not spend money on this important spot on the roster, they will pay for it in losses.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You get a closer who is consistent and does his job, you pay the piper, and quit using "market value" to allow that person to leave.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

We don't seem to have a lot of luck trading for closers.  I think the sox work this out internally....that's where I'd put my chips.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Ranaudo POR 2.15     Owens SAL 3.03    Britton POR 3.08        Barnes POR 5.87    

For Paps and Lee

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

HAHAHAHAHAHA

What is so funny both (Paps & Lee)are signed thru 2016 and the others are far from a sure thing

Oh dear god please no.  Last year was a blessing and we are trying to get younger and more cost controlled.....talk about moving in the wrong direction.  This is the strongest system we've had in years and I don't want to (I THINK the Sox f.o. Thinks this way too) waste it on older expensive talent

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would say go after jesse crain from the white sox, having a great year and has been a consistantly reliable reliever. i still think bailey will figure it out and return to form, crain will give us a shut down reliever and shore up the 7/8th innings allowing koji to close for the time being. if the phillies were willing to let pap go cheap then he could be an option, but i would rather pay 12.5 mill for a starter than a closer. and i dont think its time to completely give up on bailey yet. i think he's going through a rough patch and will regain his form. at this point getting a top of the rotation starter is a much bigger concern. lester stunk again tonight, buchholz is hurt (and is all the time) dempster has been so-so, lackey has been our #2 starter, and doubront rarely makes it past the 6th inning. yovani gallardo would be my pick, followed by garza, and if david price is available and healthy, then no doubt we should make a serious run at getting him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Closer is just a name just go out and throw who ever is ready to pitch the ninth. Bailey is better than what we have been seeing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to joel49's comment:

I want to see what Miller can do.  He has lights out stuff, and that's what a closer needs.  To those who says he walks too many, keep in mind that he's averaging about 14.9 K's per nine innings as compared to 4.8 BB's per nine, a SO/BB ratio of 3.07.  That's not too shabby.  By comparison, Pap's numbers for 2009 and 2010 were 3.17 and 2.71 respectively. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xGUBMmmQWM

4.8BB/9 is a HUGE red flag, and it is NOT alleviated by any amount of strikeouts. ..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Definately not Paps. Cost too high now and part of the "past". Blockbuster trade for a closer is not a good idea imo. I hope we can find an adequate solution from within our current roster. Give Miller a shot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Crain is good, but might cost a bit more because there figures to be significant interest. 

Gregg is haing a career year, but has a long, long history of being a questionable reliever.

Marmol is flat out awful.  He has actually managed to be a disgrace to the Cubs uniform this year.  And it is saying something when you can bring disgrace to a team that has not won a title since William McKinley was president and the flag had 46 stars.

I figure the Sox to exhaust internal options before looking outside, but two "outside the box" candidates with ZERO closer experience that actually have some of the better traits for short relief are Blake Beavan and Kevin Slowey.

Beavan is having a HORRIBLE year as a starter.  He has the control and would increase velocity moving to a relief role.  The bigg issue is his slow windup (the dude is what? 6'8"?) and he would have to settle for the stretch more often.

Slowey is not overpowering but finds the plate alot, and is having a weak BABIP season tht should regress to better numbers.  He can be had for pocket change, unless he manages to excel in his new role.

For another slightly pricier OSTB name, Luke Hochevar is having an outstanding season as a reliever, makes $4.5mill and is arb eligible for 2 more seasons. But he may have found his niche this year.  KC has had high asking prices in the past, but might be more amenable to a reasonable one since that clearly did not work out.  Brentz for Hochevar?  Sign me up!

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Uehera, and if Bailey figures it out again then he can get some chances too.

No need to panic at this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chronic352. Show chronic352's posts

In response to sindarin-erebor's comment:

Definately not Paps. Cost too high now and part of the "past". Blockbuster trade for a closer is not a good idea imo. I hope we can find an adequate solution from within our current roster. Give Miller a shot.

I was thinking Paps would be great as a closer for the RS UNTIL he opened his mouth with the cinquo ochoa crap!  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Uehera, and if Bailey figures it out again then he can get some chances too.

No need to panic at this point.

=====================================

I agree not to give up completely on Bailey. Try Uehara,  Tazawa & Wilson & don't send Bailey down but use him in middle relief when we have a 3-4 run lead. Or let him close to mop up if we have a 5+ run lead. See how he does with less pressure & go from there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I like tazawa.  Too bad paps was such a glutton for money.  How much money can one person spend in a lifetime.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

valverde....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

You get a closer who is consistent and does his job, you pay the piper, and quit using "market value" to allow that person to leave.

Actually, the evidence suggests otherwise.  Papelbon could not prevent and somewhat contributed to the worst collapse in MLB history in 2011.  Last year no closer could have turned the tide for the Sox.  This year the Sox have had the second fewest save opportunities in the AL, minimizing the need for a closer and explaining in part why the Sox have the best record in the AL.

As for Bailey, he was excellent until June 10.  From the until now he was pretty bad in 5 games, but the Sox actually won 4 of those 5 games despite Bailey.

Care to revise your statement?

Sections
Shortcuts