Poll:Red Sox slide: Who's to blame?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Poll:Red Sox slide: Who's to blame?

Who's most to blame for the Red Sox' slide?
    Carl Crawford
    Adrian Gonzalez
    Terry Francona
    Theo Epstein
    John Lackey
    Youkilis/Buchholz/Injuries
    Daniel Bard
    David Ortiz
    Tim Wakefield
    Mike Cameron
    J.D. Drew/Josh Reddick
    Bobby Jenks
    Daisuke Matsuzaka

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Poll:Red Sox slide: Who's to blame?

The poll is flawed since it is basing the current slump on one person and includs players either not here or on the DL prior to the current slump. The current slump is what has made this poll even plausible. Since if they had continued on their way with out the slump some of the players mentioned would never have come up.
    This current slump is due to many different players and decisions.
    Players that are having below average seasons like Pedroia, CC, Lackey, Bard, etc...
    Injuries to Dice, Jenks, Youk, Drew, etc... have also been a contributing factor.

Decisions that were made that have not worked out from player moves to on field decisions and FO decisions. Now people can beat up the FO and mgr for decisions but not one of knows why those decisions were made the way they happened.
    Just like one media person said in a column he couldn't understand why Scutaro bunted twice in one game when he ws hitting so well. Funny how most could never understand how the RS don't but enough.

So the second guessing works for everyone fans and media alike. We only see what we see on TV or at a game.
    I've said this time and again NOT ONE FAN WATCHING A GAME HAS ANY IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE DUGOUT/LOCKEROOM.

Tom Brady said it best when he said that Tedy Brushci had no idea what was going on in the Pats locker room and on the field with what their game plan is.

So if a guy who is intimate with the Pats does not know how can anyone on this web site be taken seriously when they do their Monday Morning QB?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Looking for people to point fingers at is both childish and stupid.

I refuse to play the blame game.

They are a team and one or two individuals do not cause a team that had the best record in the league to suddenly come to a screeching halt.

If anyone wants to assign blame , look squarely at the media. They over-rated our chances, under-rated the competition and they harp ceaselessly on players who are struggling. They lead many too believe that players are machines and managing baseball or assembling a roster is childs play.

If being a GM or a manager or a pro athlete was easy, we would all be doing it, wouldn't we?

This franchise had a 86 year drought , many of those teams that didn't win were very good, many players are in the Hall of Fame, winning two championships in a single decade has made it seem like it is easy and all it takes is just putting a high-priced team on the field and wins are guaranteed. It guarantees nothing. Ask the Yankees , who have had the highest payroll every year this decade , but have only one chanmpionship.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I still have a hard time believing that some of the teams from the 70's won nothing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I blame Dick Williams.  He was a pretty good field manager, but couldn't win the big one, and he didn't have the right managerial style to stay with a team for more than a very few years.    I also blame Tom Yawkey because he was an unenlightened owner. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I blame NY.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Poll:Red Sox slide: Who's to blame?:
    [QUOTE]Who's most to blame for the Red Sox' slide? Carl Crawford Adrian Gonzalez Terry Francona Theo Epstein John Lackey Youkilis/Buchholz/Injuries Daniel Bard David Ortiz Tim Wakefield Mike Cameron J.D. Drew/Josh Reddick Bobby Jenks Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Posted by Mr.Bump[/QUOTE]

I blame ppl like you for lack of supporting your team.  That's the reason why Sox is slumping. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'm not one to point fingers, but it does seem like Sox players have an incredibly high rate of injuries.  Is this a failure of the trainers and medical staff?  In my lifetime, the three worst years I can remember for Sox injuries have been 2006, 2010 & 2011.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

I blame GW Bush.  It's the fashionable thing to do

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Poll:Red Sox slide: Who's to blame?:
    [QUOTE]Who's most to blame for the Red Sox' slide? Carl Crawford Adrian Gonzalez Terry Francona Theo Epstein John Lackey Youkilis/Buchholz/Injuries Daniel Bard David Ortiz Tim Wakefield Mike Cameron J.D. Drew/Josh Reddick Bobby Jenks Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Posted by Mr.Bump[/QUOTE]

Too many concerns and incidents to put the blame on one person. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Babe Ruth

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

You left out Ellsbury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I blame Ric Flair. Wooooooooooooooooooooo!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Mr. Rawlings and Mr. Louisville!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

I blame Kimsaysthis.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Poll:Red Sox slide: Who's to blame?:
    [QUOTE]Looking for people to point fingers at is both childish and stupid. I refuse to play the blame game. They are a team and one or two individuals do not cause a team that had the best record in the league to suddenly come to a screeching halt. If anyone wants to assign blame , look squarely at the media. They over-rated our chances, under-rated the competition and they harp ceaselessly on players who are struggling. They lead many too believe that players are machines and managing baseball or assembling a roster is childs play. If being a GM or a manager or a pro athlete was easy, we would all be doing it, wouldn't we? This franchise had a 86 year drought , many of those teams that didn't win were very good, many players are in the Hall of Fame, winning two championships in a single decade has made it seem like it is easy and all it takes is just putting a high-priced team on the field and wins are guaranteed. It guarantees nothing. Ask the Yankees , who have had the highest payroll every year this decade , but have only one chanmpionship.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Only three words I can add to this are "right freakin' on."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbeehh. Show bbeehh's posts

Oh Zillagod... how dumb is it to blame the media!? they don't change the stats. does not say very much for RS players or fans if they think they were mislead by the media.

And, you CAN NEVER COMPARE RS to the Yankees! There is not comparison. The Yankees are not cry babies and don't look to cast blame the way the RS/ fans do. PATHETIC!!!!

Maybe you didn't notice... the Wild Card race is not over but as far as your attitude - it is!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I think the whole team is to blame, it's a combination of injuries, and lack of a winning attitude that lead to the inevitable decline down the stretch. To win you need to be winners, and right now there are no winners on this team. The entire starting rotation has been bad, the lineup has been bad, and the bullpen has been bad. Its just how it is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

[QUOTE]Looking for people to point fingers at is both childish and stupid. I refuse to play the blame game. They are a team and one or two individuals do not cause a team that had the best record in the league to suddenly come to a screeching halt. If anyone wants to assign blame , look squarely at the media. They over-rated our chances, under-rated the competition and they harp ceaselessly on players who are struggling. They lead many too believe that players are machines and managing baseball or assembling a roster is childs play. If being a GM or a manager or a pro athlete was easy, we would all be doing it, wouldn't we? This franchise had a 86 year drought , many of those teams that didn't win were very good, many players are in the Hall of Fame, winning two championships in a single decade has made it seem like it is easy and all it takes is just putting a high-priced team on the field and wins are guaranteed. It guarantees nothing. Ask the Yankees , who have had the highest payroll every year this decade , but have only one chanmpionship.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

hey zilla, grow a pair. it's obvious. the majority of the blame falls on the weak shoulders of dumbtheo and the bald head of terry 'coma.
    now was that hard to figure out?

you're giving the real godzilla a bad name.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

[QUOTE]I blame Dick Williams.  He was a pretty good field manager, but couldn't win the big one, and he didn't have the right managerial style to stay with a team for more than a very few years.    I also blame Tom Yawkey because he was an unenlightened owner. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

"unenlightened" that's a nice euphemism.
    he was a card carrying racist. i can only imagine what yawkey would have thought of obama. probably would have called him the "BIG O."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]ZILLY......  WELCOME BACK....NICE VACA ???   I SAID RIGHT ALONG THAT WE GAVE UP TO MANY GAMES ALONG THE WAY THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE LOST.... 15-30 GAMES THAT WE COULD/SHOULD/WOULD HAVE WON......  GOT CAUGHT IN A "PERFECT STORM" RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE IN APRIL !!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

You can't really blame just one person.  But, if you want to try and put the blame on a FEW things/guys, you can't use guys like Crawford, Theo, and Lackey.  Theo's job was basically done at the end of July (and there was no way to tell that Crawford was going to stink it up as he has).  Crawford/Lackey has stunk all year.  Yet we were still in 1st place in August.   Maybe we would have been even more games ahead in 1st place have they performed to their level all year, but they can't be blamed for "the slide".

You really can't even blame injuries for Clay has been out since June and Aviles has done a very nice job in replace of Youk.

So, to blame for "the slide" you have to look at players who have suddenly done much worse the past month as compared to earlier in the season.

Bard, for sure, would fit into this category.  But, can a slide be blamed on a set-up man?

Team morale and sloppy play (the Sox were once among the top of the league in defense, not anymore) can be considered which point fingers at Francona. 
    Although I am a big Tito supporter;  "if the shoe fits......"

Lester, Pedi, and Gonzo (to a lesser degree) has also taken a nose dive this past month.  You can add Salty to this list as well, but he was more of a surprise than a guy that was actually leaned on earlier in the year.

These few guys/issues are the ones to blame.  In no particuluar order;

Bard, Francona, Lester, Pedi, Gonzo.

This is for discussion only.  Pointing fingers isn't going to help a thing and I am sure that the players know this.  But they obviously need to get their act together soon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Thankfully the players are well rested and those early games in April, May, June and July didn't count as much as the current, crunch time, games. Allowing early season games to slip away so that the team will be ready for September games doesn't work. Injuries got in the way.  I6t would be interesting to see where the team would be if just half of the give away games were wins...Surprised

Sections
Shortcuts