Posada cooldown only one 'peace' of puzzle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GL'SFRANK. Show GL'SFRANK's posts

Posada cooldown only one 'peace' of puzzle

by Joel Sherman/New York Post

A day later, everyone involved in the great Jorge Posada lineup soap opera found their better angels -- and spin doctors.

The verbal fire extinguishers were deployed, notably with Posada apologizing to Joe Girardi and Brian Cashman for pulling himself from the lineup Saturday night after he was installed as the No. 9 hitter for the first time as a starter in 12 years.

So following a day that evoked The Bronx Zoo era, the Yankees publicly returned to the vanilla flavor they have favored in recent years, coinciding with George Steinbrenner's retreat from the public spotlight of the franchise.   

But as successful as the Yankees were at executing Public Relations 101 yesterday, the underlying problems that caused the rift persist: Posada's poor offense, the abundance of aging/declining legends and a roster that has betrayed significant flaws.

So the embers to ignite a new blaze still burn, ready to spark anew if Posada cannot lift his average or if, say, Derek Jeter must fall in the lineup (he's slumping again, with three singles in his last 23 at-bats) or if the offense and bullpen are not the strengths anticipated.

It means we are going to find out an awful lot about the mental fortitude of this clubhouse and also about Girardi's skills in navigating what projects to be his most combustible issue as the Yankees skipper.

"The one thing about my job in managing great Yankees that have had great careers and they're getting older, there's nothing I can go to, there's no manual on my desk, there's no crystal ball on my table that I can go to and say this is exactly how you're supposed to do it," Girardi said.

In other words, Girardi cannot peer into one of those big binders he loves for clues on how to walk the fine line between honoring his win-now job description while not disrespecting a group that has helped bring so much winning to the franchise. That is a difficult double for a manager who is not a master of inter-personal relations.

This all would be easier for Girardi if the cleansing agent of victorious success were minimizing the troubles. But the Red Sox won 7-5 last night, completing a three-game sweep of the slipshod Yankees, who have lost five straight and nine of 12.

The bullpen again is Mariano Rivera and a bunch of other guys. Rafael Soriano was unavailable yet again last night with elbow discomfort; his signing feeling more and more like a blunder. Meanwhile, the offense is Curtis Granderson and the dead spots. Jeter, for example, has an OPS (.633) barely better than Posada's (.627). For now, though, Posada is the designated scapegoat.

"We're trying to do something special here," said Posada, who drew a walk in the eighth inning as a pinch-hitter. "It's about the team now. It's not about Jorge Posada. It's not about Joe Girardi. It's about the Yankees. I let some people down."

It was the right tack; Posada contrite about a bad day in a rather exemplary career. But, again, that merely whitewashed the immediate stain. Let's see if he still is not hitting in two weeks. Posada either revives or goes to the bench, maybe to the waiver wire.

That is going to weigh on him -- and a whole clubhouse. No matter what he said yesterday, Posada feels stung by Girardi and the organization. He did not lash out Saturday because of one act he viewed as disrespectful. This is serial going back to their uneasy playing days together and also incorporating bench time Girardi doled out the past two postseasons when others caught A.J. Burnett. And, yes, it is about the "why me?" aspect of being moved to ninth when so many are slumping.

There remains a bubbling lack of trust between Posada and his manager, a growing unease between the players and Cashman's front office. That fosters a tension that was last seen with the Yankees during the worst of Alex Rodriguez's diva days. Can this group of Yankees work through that and the sloppy, ineffective play?

And can the uptight Girardi deal with this simmering problem while trying to figure out if his bullpen and offense really aren't all that special?

One day of good public relations work does not cure this whole patient.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Posada cooldown only one 'peace' of puzzle

by Joel Sherman/New York Post....typical pot stirring drivel by 1/3 of the Three Stooges

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

THE YANK$ ARE GETTING OLDER FASTER THAN OUR BELOVED CELTICS !!  WHAT A MESS THAT FRANCHISE IS IN !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Posada cooldown only one 'peace' of puzzle:
    [QUOTE]by Joel Sherman/New York Post ....typical pot stirring drivel by 1/3 of the Three Stooges
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Hey Jete; Sorry for the ignorance, I havent been here long enough I guess..Who are the other 2 stooges?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

posted at 5/16/2011 12:49 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=e0ea5fa740925d916765214e19533213&plckUserId=e0ea5fa740925d916765214e19533213">
    First: 4/15/2011
    Last: 5/16/2011
    Yankee (NY) fans always whine and complain when their sportswriters make fun of their heroes, even is the sportswriter is accurate.

He'll probably mention 2 other writers whom he hates simply because they don't ballwash his heroes enough
    and i suppose Sox fans don't?...perhaps you should take off the blinders, and refrain from selective reading..there's been plenty of complaints here about Boston writers..and i don't HATE any sportswriters, nor do i ALWAYS whine and complain i just don't agree with alot of his takes...and Sherman is inaccurate quite often...but by all means, carry on being misinformed...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Things do seem to be at least a little strange in the Yankee Universe right now. Frankly it isn't the first time in the last six months that Cashman has done weird stuff in the media but the in game press conference was bizarre. If I was either Posada or Giardi I would not have been too pleased and the move only contributed to heighten the focus on what was a internal issue.

But watching Sportscenter this morning my jaw dropped. Olney was on saying NYY FO sources told him they were very upset with Jeter for stating that if his understand was correct and Jorge had asked for a day off and Giardi granted it he saw no issue with that. The gist of the leak was that the NYY management saw the Captain as an extension of the management and that he wasn't supporting management and it would be addressed in the next couple of days.

Very counter productive and I think that if this happened in the Torre days it would all be handled differently. While Sherman is no doubt stirring the pot Jete, hasn't Cashman and the unnamed sources in the FO loaded the pot with its current contents.

If Giardi and Posada were allowed to handle this in vacuum it would have been different. And if Joe had a "manual" perhaps he would have read the chapter that said have the players back just a bit more in the media and then kick his backside in private. But maybe that is what Giardi would have done if Cashman allowed the player and his manager to work through it themselves.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

In Response to Re: Posada cooldown only one 'peace' of puzzle:
    [QUOTE]Yankee (NY) fans always whine and complain when their sportswriters make fun of their heroes, even is the sportswriter is accurate. He'll probably mention 2 other writers whom he hates simply because they don't ballwash his heroes enough.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Dude, this board bashes CHB quite a bit...and on occation, Mazz as well. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

5k, trust me, i don't excuse the FO's role in this either..especially Cash, when he asked and received autonomy i didn't think it included having such loose lips on subjects that should be out of the media glare, most times when no one will speak OTR, right away, those mysterious "sources" race to the scene, then should someone refute  said "source" it starts all over..bottom line though, you can be sure once someone in the FO says it's done..a new seed will be planted to take it's place, not saying it doesn't turn out to true at times, just saying the Post often takes a matter however trivial and runs with it...RidingWithTheKing's assertions aside, it's not exactly something worth getting into a to do about...  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Anyone who didn't see this coming, for years, is blind. Because a losing streak brings overreaction and titilating hyperbole, it's not the best time to start hammering on this old issue, full pun intended.

That said, handing out big contract to guys in their mid 30's is what it is. A disaster when it comes to active roster spots. If the reason is to placate stodgy and emotional fans (we have the same problem with squat roster spots for Lowell, Wakefield and yes, Varitek because a good defensive catcher backup upgrade could have been brought in), why not just start doing old timers games, so the fans can get all sappy about nostalgia.

Baseball higher performance, like all sports, is a young man's game. There isn't any magic formula for deciding when to cut loose an old veteran who simply won't retire. But a competent GM knows when to do it. There is nothing wrong with taking a small step back for a year or so to usher in new players to get experience and say goodbye to old veterans. In fact, there are going to be times where that's the only way it can be done. It would be nice to think you can pay millions to veterans to gradually give way to younger talent, but it can seriously disrupt roster construction to approach it like that.

In reality, the Yankee fans have what they wanted. An old team that is still capable of hanging in there, but an old team that is long past it's peak and will be continuing to decline until the transition to younger talent has enough experience to mark the tipping point from backward to forward, from getting worse to getting better. Last year's Yankee team, as competitive as it was, gave the fans the hope of being able to beat a younger more talented Ranger roster. But, it would have been better to blow it all up last year and already be year two into the reloading process. It is what it is, and fans can't have it both ways.

The Red Sox fans love certain veterans. They get them, usually, for way too many years long. Team performance and the future is where the price is paid. You want Varitek, Lowell and Wakefield, you have them. They aren't any good and should be replaced by younger and more capable players, but go ahead and watch your old heroes, basking in the role of an active roster squat spot. The fact that the contract is still there should have no bearing on building a roster. You don't say that you still have to pay for a totaled car, and then attempt to drive it down the road. You make the adjustment and trade, retire or waive good bye to the past. It doesn't a degree in PR to understand how it's done.

A-Roid and Jeter are just being kept around for longevity records that are tainted by the steroids/HGH era. And Joe Buck is a tool for repeating the line about uppers being "PED's". Taking NoDoz and some greenies is simply allowing a player to survivie lousy transportation and fleabag motels and stay awake on the field. It's not muscle mass, and to equate steroids and HGH to "uppers" is utterly idiotic and dishonest! That's the latest smear campaign to try and get the modern baseball generation back in better graces, right there with the old guys who predated the MLBPA. Absurd! 

The Yankees are getting exaclty what fans want, less the big winning part. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

No doubt Jete, if the AL East is baseball's roughest neighborhood, the media makes NY and Boston the nasty sections of that neighborhood and for Riding the King I am one of the RS fans that thinks the mediots in Boston can be blood sucking leeches, just like Jete does about some of the NY scribes. Just think about the flap about Ellsbury last year or the whipping that Okajima took for not granting interviews after a tough loss.

And FWIW Jete, Cash acts like a guy who has either lost his mind or just doesn't care about being in NY anymore.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

And FWIW Jete, Cash acts like a guy who has either lost his mind or just doesn't care about being in NY anymore.

Bingo. 
    I work in the medical field and I get a kick out of general medicine doctors nearing retirement.  They say things they wouldn't dare if they weren't set for life.  Cashman doesn't have any worries, so he is a loose cannon these days.

Jete  I think you are right on Sherman, I have noticed since you brought up his M.O. before. That being said more than the usual EE bashing reporters are jumping in on the Posada and age issues.  3 and 9 with Price to come will do that just like 2 and 10 did in April for the Sox.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Only thing I might add re: Jorge's excellent adventure is
    that he's lucky that  Billy Martin  isn't still above ground...

Now that would have been really been top notch drama...

The sweep was sweet!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

don't you guys think that Fox is partly the reason why this has blown up?  i mean, they probably asked Cash to do the interview.  Cash should've declined -- that was a mistake.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

FOX really took what Cashman said (or more importantly, DID NOT say) and really ran with it.  Following the interview, it was pretty comical when they (FOX) started quoting tweets, talking about Posada possibly announcing his retirement, and the Yankees possibly attempting to void his contract.  If Jorge were Manny, I could see that type of hype, due to being a habitual quitter.  With the Posada situation, I was astounded with the way this took shape and took off, and many fan reactions were very strong as well.  Over one incident in his career?  No benefit of the doubt?  People view Posada's apology as an admission that he did something wrong, and surely he could have handled things differently.  Seriously though, Cashman should be publicly apologizing as well.  I used to resect this man, but not now.  He has made very poor choices with regards to what he shares with the media.  His antics have been divisive and damaging to the organization.  Sometimes teams get stronger in the face of adversity, but I think these issues will remain until Cashman is fired.  Clearly Jeter's loyalties are to his teammate, as it should be.  Like he said, it's not the first time a teammate asked out of a line-up.  There is no trust or unity in the organization.  The Steinbrenners are not going anywhere, but saying goodbye to Cashman would be a step in the right direction.