Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava

Yay team.

Oh, year, Ace too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava

In Response to Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava:
    Yay team. Oh, year, Ace too.
    Posted by expitch

Lin is amazing on D.  I have watched him in Portland many times and he covers an amazing amount of ground and has a cannon for an arm.

and yeah you had to feel good for Pods.  The guy has had a good career and has been grinding it at AAA for awhile.  That had to feel good to hit that one out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Its great but it wont last forever, hopefully it lasts until ells, crawford etc get back

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava:
    Its great but it wont last forever, hopefully it lasts until ells, crawford etc get back
    Posted by fourrings

Hello Parade?  Here's the rain...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

MAYBE THE MESSAGE IS: NAVA IS ALL YOU EVER NEEDED IN LF, F...K CRAWFORD!!  SHOPPACH IS A KEEPER!  THE OTHERS ARE GOOD HELPERS...NEEDED...RESPECT THEM!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Red Sox had 7 outfielders on the 40-man roster at one point this offseason (Ellsbury, Crawford, Kalish, Sweeney, Ross, McDonald, and Lin).  They also brought in Repko at one point, too, but did not add him immediately.

Lin is the only one not on the DL.  He has, with two games played and 5 career at-bats, become the longest tenured outfielder on this team...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

The Red Sox had 7 outfielders on the 40-man roster at one point this offseason (Ellsbury, Crawford, Kalish, Sweeney, Ross, McDonald, and Lin).  They also brought in Repko at one point, too, but did not add him immediately. Lin is the only one not on the DL.  He has, with two games played and 5 career at-bats, become the longest tenured outfielder on this team...
    Posted by notin

What about Nava?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Loved seeing Pods get the dinger in his first game back in the bigs. Im also glad to see Nava get another shot. I think this kid could stick for a while. Maybe not here, not long term anyway, but somewhere. He is already a great story but it would be so nice to see him have an actual MLB career.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava : Hello Parade?  Here's the rain...
    Posted by notin
    LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava : Hello Parade?  Here's the rain...
    Posted by notin

Unfortunately, all things trend to norm.  They're holding the fort, and for that, they should be thanked.

Still, nava looks like a keeper. Even if he's #5, he's still minimum wage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava : Unfortunately, all things trend to norm.  They're holding the fort, and for that, they should be thanked. Still, nava looks like a keeper. Even if he's #5, he's still minimum wage.
    Posted by Joebreidey

I'd give Nava the edge over DMac if only because of $ going forward.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava : Unfortunately, all things trend to norm.  They're holding the fort, and for that, they should be thanked. Still, nava looks like a keeper. Even if he's #5, he's still minimum wage.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Of course, when guys come to Fenway their numbers sometimes do go up so we don't always know what the norm should be.

When everybody's healthy, the OFers willb e Crawford, Ellsbury, Ross, Sweeney and ???. If they keep five, I'm leaning toward Byrd over Nava right now but am willing to keep an open mind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Not exactly your brand names, but they are getting the job done for now. The question is how long can they hold the fort until the regulars are back ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava : Of course, when guys come to Fenway their numbers sometimes do go up so we don't always know what the norm should be. When everybody's healthy, the OFers willb e Crawford, Ellsbury, Ross, Sweeney and ???. If they keep five, I'm leaning toward Byrd over Nava right now but am willing to keep an open mind.
    Posted by royf19

I really think the 5th has to be Nava.....4 reasons.....1) he a switch hitter.....2) He believes he belongs and that type of young guy(I know he's 29) energy is infectious to the veterans on a team....3) When a young guy comes up and succeeds and sticks, it gives hope, enthusiasm and purpose to the other Rooks on the roster and at Pawtucket....and 4) by all measurements he is probably a better player than Byrd is right now...who looks shot to me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I hope Nava sticks because he is a great story but I am skeptical. Mac is a better OFer who can play more OF positions and is a much better baserunner. As the 5th OFer Darnell brings more to the table unless Nava keeps hitting from both sides.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava : I really think the 5th has to be Nava.....4 reasons.....1) he a switch hitter.....2) He believes he belongs and that type of young guy(I know he's 29) energy is infectious to the veterans on a team....3) When a young guy comes up and succeeds and sticks, it gives hope, enthusiasm and purpose to the other Rooks on the roster and at Pawtucket....and 4) by all measurements he is probably a better player than Byrd is right now...who looks shot to me.
    Posted by tomnev

It depends on how much Nava cools off. In 2010, after being great in the first 10 games, he crashed and burned, batting just .205 over the next 50.

Byrd has more of a track record and, despite two bad plays in K.C., is better defensively. But if Nava doesn't go ice cold as before, I don't have a problem with keeping him instead. 

There's still plenty of time to see how it develops.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava : It depends on how much Nava cools off. In 2010, after being great in the first 10 games, he crashed and burned, batting just .205 over the next 50. Byrd has more of a track record and, despite two bad plays in K.C., is better defensively. But if Nava doesn't go ice cold as before, I don't have a problem with keeping him instead.  There's still plenty of time to see how it develops.
    Posted by royf19

Roy....i get your points.....and you are right to be cautious, but I dont see the same player as in 2010....when the worst thing that could have happened to him was hitting that 1st pitch GS.....this is a guy who now every AB seems to be an intelligent one....in 2010, he had 46K and 19BB in 188 PA....this year 9BB and 8K in 51 PA.....and 2 SF this year already....as has been the sase at evry level, he seems to eventually figure it out.....I think he has....or at least I hope so.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava : Roy....i get your points.....and you are right to be cautious, but I dont see the same player as in 2010....when the worst thing that could have happened to him was hitting that 1st pitch GS.....this is a guy who now every AB seems to be an intelligent one....in 2010, he had 46K and 19BB in 188 PA....this year 9BB and 8K in 51 PA.....and 2 SF this year already....as has been the sase at evry level, he seems to eventually figure it out.....I think he has....or at least I hope so.
    Posted by tomnev
    The key word in your post is "intelligent." When he comes to the plate these days
    -- that is, after even a few weeks -- you anticipate a good PA. It may not last. But it bears notice.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava : What about Nava?
    Posted by JB-3

Lin has been on the 40-man roster since November, 2011.  Nava was removed from the 40-man roster this ST, and only added this month...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Nava plays a very decent left field with a good, accurate arm.

I've seen Byrd really look silly a few times in center..misjudging, turning the wrong way on balls and not that strong or accurate arm.  But, I love his attitude.

Besides, although better lefty, Nava is a switch hitter.

I'll take Nava.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Loved seeing Pods get the dinger in his first game back in the bigs. Im also glad to see Nava get another shot. I think this kid could stick for a while. Maybe not here, not long term anyway, but somewhere. He is already a great story but it would be so nice to see him have an actual MLB career.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111
    It would be very nice.
    He'll probably be stashed away in Pawtucket when CC returns and kept there instead of traded because he's insurance, even though there might be some interest in him by another team. Cherrington has to think of the Sox first. But I suppose it would depend upon what could be obtained. Perhaps in the off season Ben will try to trade him in order to give him a shot at playing in the majors.
    As I write, a voice is whispering, "Are you paying attention to how Nava is actually doing?  He's out there every day helping the Sox win. He's playing way better than CC did."
    OK, let's hope he keeps it up, for his sake and the team's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It's nice, for a change, to have a little competition for these OF position in addition to catching and the BP. These players have to be at their best and they know it to get some added playing time. 

The pen still has a number of pitchers, V is working them all, some every day others every other. This competition has made them all better. Melancon with the PawSox must be wondering if he'll get another chance so he has to be pitching his best along with Mortenson in case that opening becomes available.

The team and management should be happy, they have come a long way to get back home at .500. They are a TEAM.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Right now really need Nava, Byrd, Lin, and Pods to keep it up til the walking wounded start to return. Seems Bob V gets the best out of the unsung guys. Did the same w/ Mets, while he had Piazza and Henderson w/ Mets in 2000 it was the Agbayani's, Zeille's, Mora's, Timo Perez's ,and Joe MsEwing's of the world who seemed to play their best for Bob V and help Mets get to 2000 WS w/ a roster that probably didn't belong there. Hopefully RS can keep it up til the injured return.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Given all of the outfielders they have and ones coming back (Ross and Sweeney), why do I keep reading about DMAC coming back soon. Why isn't he DFA'd already? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava":
    In Response to Re: Posednik, Lin, Shoppach, Nava : I really think the 5th has to be Nava.....4 reasons.....1) he a switch hitter.....2) He believes he belongs and that type of young guy(I know he's 29) energy is infectious to the veterans on a team....3) When a young guy comes up and succeeds and sticks, it gives hope, enthusiasm and purpose to the other Rooks on the roster and at Pawtucket....and 4) by all measurements he is probably a better player than Byrd is right now...who looks shot to me. Posted by tomnev
    Byrd will finish the season with better stats than Nava. If you look at what Byrd has done in the AL it has been solid. Nava can only play left also.

Sections
Shortcuts