POSITION OF HOME PLATE UMPIRE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

POSITION OF HOME PLATE UMPIRE?

In watching the game last night, I couldn't help notice what appeared to be the position of the home plate Umpire.  For left handed hitters, it appeared that the Umpire was lining up between the left handed hitter and the catcher.  For right handed hitters, it appeared that the home plate Umpire was lining up between the right handed hitter and the catcher.  Did anyone else notice that?  Maybe it appeared to be that way due to the position of the camera.  One would think that the ideal position for the Umpire would be centered directly behind home plate in order to call strikes and balls properly (if that would ever be possible).  If the above were to be the case, wonder what position MLB requires Umpires to be in to call strikes and balls? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: POSITION OF HOME PLATE UMPIRE?

One would think that the ideal position for the Umpire would be centered directly behind home plate

wouldn't  the catchers head  be in the way

(My opinion is not valid as I do not post often)

why this

were you doubted as a newbie

have you not caught on yet why newbies are doubted

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Frank Viola talked about this last season when he was subbing for Remy. 

Umpires are TAUGHT to set up over the catcher's shoulder that's on the inside of the plate, the side toward the batter.  As Zac said above, to set up directly over the catcher the ump would have to be above the catcher's head and that would hamper his ability to see how high or low the pitch is.

The downside of the ump's setting up where he does is that while he can SEE exactly where the pitches on the inside of the plate are, he's guessing as to the location of a pitch on the outside.  That's why you frequently see an ump with a big strike zone at the outside of the plate but almost never see one with a big zone at the inside.  He can SEE where that inside pitch is.

As to why he doesn't set up on the outside shoulder of the catcher, my best guess is that it's to protect the batter by making sure that inside pitches are actually over the plate and hittable rather that jamming a hitter inside.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In Response to Re: POSITION OF HOME PLATE UMPIRE?:
    [QUOTE]One would think that the ideal position for the Umpire would be centered directly behind home plate wouldn't  the catchers head  be in the way (My opinion is not valid as I do not post often) why this were you doubted as a newbie have you not caught on yet why newbies are doubted
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Thanks "pinhead", your response was very helpful.......hope the rest of your day will be better.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Lucbom...

Speaking as someone who's approacing 450 posts here over two years, here's what I've learned about this site.

This site has ... maybe 50... "regular" posters and they comprise a fairly tight-knit community.  As with any community, they look askance upon anyone who tries to invade their space, that is until they have earned the right to be taken seriously. 

Some of these posters are VERY knowledgeable about baseball and they're worth listening to.  As for me, I come here mostly to read but at times I throw up an occasional post which I know isn't taken as seriously as I wish it were.  I haven't "earned my stripes" yet and I probably won't since I don't know nearly as much as many here about the game, and that's ok with me.  I'm a semi-casual fan where many of these posters are SERIOUS!  :-)

My advice?  Grow just a little bit thicker skin, realize where these posters are coming from, and accept it.

And frankly, having that tag line is just asking for trouble! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Maybe he is trying to avoid being hit by a foul tip?

Maybe he wants a head start to the concession stand between innings?

Maybe he needs glasses and wants to get a closer look?

Maybe it was Frank Drebin in disguise?

Maybe your T.V. set needs adjusting?

(I post often and I am never wrong)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

That was one of the best-called games of the season behind the plate, for both sides. 

Like the Frank Drebin reference, Zilla.  Nice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Thanks "pinhead", your response was very helpful.......hope the rest of your day will be better.......

not sure of your need for the atitude

at least I tried to answer your question

I guess you were either to busy or to rude to answer mine

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

the umps have always been on the inside shoulder (one closest to the hitter) of the catcher, that's the reason they miss so many on the outside corner.  Last night's game was the best ball and strike ump we've seen, no one chirped at all.

until the 70s umps wore the balloon chest protector and stood directly overhead of the catcher, they were inconsistent with strikes high or low when standing straight up

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

As long as it's not Joe West I'm happy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from norm9340. Show norm9340's posts

In Response to POSITION OF HOME PLATE UMPIRE?:
    [QUOTE) Home plate Umpires are trained to work "in the slot" ( the position between the catcher and the batter)...This positioning gives the umpire the beast overall view to call balls and strikes...Yes the outside corner is a bit difficult... but each umpire makes a determination of pitch location based on a learned criteria that comes with experience...I have been an umpire for close to 30 years....I feel that my strike zone if very consistant

n watching the game last night, I couldn't help notice what appeared to be the position of the home plate Umpire.  For left handed hitters, it appeared that the Umpire was lining up between the left handed hitter and the catcher.  For right handed hitters, it appeared that the home plate Umpire was lining up between the right handed hitter and the catcher.  Did anyone else notice that?  Maybe it appeared to be that way due to the position of the camera.  One would think that the ideal position for the Umpire would be centered directly behind home plate in order to call strikes and balls properly (if that would ever be possible).  If the above were to be the case, wonder what position MLB requires Umpires to be in to call strikes and balls? 
    Posted by lucbom[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts