Position Player decisions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

Position Player decisions

Now for the 13 position players.  AJ and Ross catching, Papi, the DH, Napoli and Pedroia on the right side.  Boegarts is sticking and it looks like Middlebrooks is going to be the third baseman for a while.  That’s seven

Lets start with Victorino and say everything else is in flux.  Not really, because Gomes and Nava aren’t going anywhere and they aren’t going to give away Carp.  Two spots are left.

My thinking is that if Sizemore is 80% of the Grady Sizemore of old, he will be the starting CF on opening day.  Even if Bradley is tearing it up.  Herrera is the utility IF and unless they want to risk an in game injury, he’s probably there (he does have options though).  That means Bradley goes to AAA and is the first guy up on an injury.

They could risk it and send Herrera down and keep Bradley.  If Middlebrooks gets hurt in game, then Carp plays third.  If Pedroia gets hurt, the Middlebrooks.  If Boegarts gets hurt, then…….Pedroia. (he was a shortstop).  Again we are talking about a few innings and then they can make a move if they have to.  The problem for Bradley is that he would be on the bench and would be better served playing every day in Pawtucket

They could trade Carp or Nava or Gomes.  Don’t want to see any of them go.  Those are glue guys that may not be superstars, but the intangibles…..plus they all want to be here.  The other problem with trading any of them, is inevitable injury.  We all know that Victorino is not going to stop running into walls and as good as Sizemore can be…….My guess is that Brentz has shown enough this spring to warrant bing called up this year, as does Corey Brown, so they can weather it if one of the above is traded.  If they trade anyone, I would say Carp.

They could extend Sizemore’s spring training, but that may not be the best move.  If he is ready, just go for it.  Grady Sizemore was Jacoby Ellsbury for two years before Ells showed.  He was on his way to a great career.  Imagine how he felt when he saw the money that Ellsbury got.  Will he ever be that again?  Probably not.  But if he is even remotely close to the .300, 25, 90, 30 steals and two GG, then the Red Sox may have made a deal with the devil.  And they won’t be paying 21 million for seven years.  Got to find out what he can do.

What we do know is that they will maximize the roster and play whatever games it takes.  They are really good with that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Position Player decisions

Bradley & Herrar make your 13 ......  Sizemore will show up in May after a trade is made..... Carp.Nava could be traded.... Howevaaa, Victorino is "DAY TO DAY"  !!!  The good news is, Ben has plenty of depth !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Pedroia WILL NOT play SS even in case of of emergency. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Pedroia WILL NOT play SS even in case of of emergency. 

and why not for a few innings

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

OP is proof positive of why the best decision makers wait until a decision has to be made, which absolutely, positively is not on March 15 with over 2 weeks to go in ST.  I think at this point most of the regular lineup players are known because they were slotted there last year when the Sox won it all--Ortiz, Napoli, Victorino, Nava/Gomes, and Pedroia.  With Drew gone it's apparent Bogaerts gets SS and Middlebrooks 3B.  Ross/Perzinski to catch. 

So that leaves CF as the only truly discussable position, and I would argue it's way too early to commit to Sizemore.  The regular MLB season is a grind, and Sizemore's last healthy season was 2008, six years ago.  To date he has played in 5 of 15 games and never 9 innings.  His OPS so far is .665.  The good news is he looks healthy, but that ain't the same as being ready for the grind.  Right now I think the CF job is still Bradley's to lose.    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

1.       That one inning Mike Carp played at 3B in A-ball 2005 is probably really not the adequate training to be a backup 3B at the MLB level.  On the plus side, he did field his only chance easy to give him a career fielding percentage of 1.000 at the position.

2.       Even if we entertain the unbelievably improbable notion that Pedroia would slide over to SS as a backup option, just who exactly is playing 2B when he does?  Carp, Gomes, or Ross?  Or maybe Badenhop?

This plays out with one of three possible solutions.

1.       Bradley is demoted.

2.       Sizemore is injured.

3.       Carp is traded.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

OP is proof positive of why the best decision makers wait until a decision has to be made, which absolutely, positively is not on March 15 with over 2 weeks to go in ST.  I think at this point most of the regular lineup players are known because they were slotted there last year when the Sox won it all--Ortiz, Napoli, Victorino, Nava/Gomes, and Pedroia.  With Drew gone it's apparent Bogaerts gets SS and Middlebrooks 3B.  Ross/Perzinski to catch. 

So that leaves CF as the only truly discussable position, and I would argue it's way too early to commit to Sizemore.  The regular MLB season is a grind, and Sizemore's last healthy season was 2008, six years ago.  To date he has played in 5 of 15 games and never 9 innings.  His OPS so far is .665.  The good news is he looks healthy, but that ain't the same as being ready for the grind.  Right now I think the CF job is still Bradley's to lose.    

It's not just about who is the slightly better option on opening day. JBJ has options left, so they may give Sizemore the job to begin with, knowing JBJ will likely get a chance at some point in 2014. We may also gain an extra year of team control of JBJ by doing this. A year in his prime and not at the start of his ML career.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

It's not just about who is the slightly better option on opening day. JBJ has options left, so they may give Sizemore the job to begin with, knowing JBJ will likely get a chance at some point in 2014. We may also gain an extra year of team control of JBJ by doing this. A year in his prime and not at the start of his ML career.

JBJ is playing himself out of a job right now. Coming into ST the job was his for the taking; now its slipping through his hands.

And what else does Cordero have to do to earn a roster spot? Its going to be pretty difficult to let him walk given his performance. I mean, why even invite him to camp if a stellar performance doesn't earn him a job?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

And what else does Cordero have to do to earn a roster spot? Its going to be pretty difficult to let him walk given his performance. I mean, why even invite him to camp if a stellar performance doesn't earn him a job?

Cordero has been doing great so far.  If he keeps this up, you're right, he has to be retained.  And that would be another tip o' the cap to Benny Boy. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Because then you'd have to DL Miller, which is plausible, and then you'd have to cut Badenhop.  With Cordero on the team, it has to be-

• Koji
    • Taz
    • Breslow
    • Workman
    • Capuano
    • Miller or Britton
    • Cordero/Badenhop

They could DL Miller, demore Britton, and use Cap as the #2 Loogy, but it is a little risky using a #6 SP as a one-guy Loogy, just so you can gamble that Cordero is better than Badenhop.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If they keep Cordero they could also send Workman to Pawtucket as our #6 starter.

Actually this doesn't even factor in Mujica.  We have too much pitching LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Because then you'd have to DL Miller, which is plausible, and then you'd have to cut Badenhop.  With Cordero on the team, it has to be-

• Koji
    • Taz
    • Breslow
    • Workman
    • Capuano
    • Miller or Britton
    • Cordero/Badenhop

They could DL Miller, demore Britton, and use Cap as the #2 Loogy, but it is a little risky using a #6 SP as a one-guy Loogy, just so you can gamble that Cordero is better than Badenhop.

Why even invite him to camp if there was so close to no chance whatsoever that he could EARN a roster spot with his performance? You invite him thinking someone might get injured? I think that if he keeps pitching like he has you have to keep him and DL Miller and demote Britton (which will happen anyway). Capuano does not necessarily need to be a SP; in fact, he will not have the endurance to do it unless he pitches multiple innings on a regular basis. I think our #6 SP will be in Pawtucket until they need him most of the time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I have to agree with you on this one, Pumps.  No point inviting him unless he has a legit shot at being one of the 7. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Mujica????? He's in.

Breslow goes to extended ST and / or Peavy DL and they keep Britton up.

Workman and Britton optioned.

Pen------Ue, Mujica, Taz, Cap, Badenhop, Miller and Cordero--if he continues strong otherwise Brit/Work.

Herrera stays and JBJ is optioned.

Carp, Nava, Gomes , Size and Vic in the OF----JBJ stays if Vic goes to DL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

• Koji
    • Taz
    • Breslow
    • Workman
    • Capuano
    • Miller or Britton
    • Cordero/Badenhop

Why even invite him to camp if there was so close to no chance whatsoever that he could EARN a roster spot with his performance? You invite him thinking someone might get injured? I think that if he keeps pitching like he has you have to keep him and DL Miller and demote Britton (which will happen anyway). Capuano does not necessarily need to be a SP; in fact, he will not have the endurance to do it unless he pitches multiple innings on a regular basis. I think our #6 SP will be in Pawtucket until they need him most of the time.

You invite him to camp because there is no reason not to invite him to camp.

• Yes, there could be an injury.
    • There could be under-performance by the younger guys.  Workman, Britton and Wilson are hardly guaranteed.
    • There could be injuries to the SPs, thus requiring Capuano and/or Workman to assume an SP role, and to open a spot in the BP.
    • You need a certain amount of extra pitchers for ST, since IPs are very limited for SPs while they build up.

In short, every team invites non-roster SPs to ST.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

• Koji
    • Taz
    • Breslow
    • Workman
    • Capuano
    • Miller or Britton
    • Cordero/Badenhop

You invite him to camp because there is no reason not to invite him to camp.

• Yes, there could be an injury.
    • There could be under-performance by the younger guys.  Workman, Britton and Wilson are hardly guaranteed.
    • There could be injuries to the SPs, thus requiring Capuano and/or Workman to assume an SP role, and to open a spot in the BP.
    • You need a certain amount of extra pitchers for ST, since IPs are very limited for SPs while they build up.

In short, every team invites non-roster SPs to ST.

Workman, Britton and Wilson are all going back to Pawtucket. They are not a factor in this at all-unless there is an injury to a SP in which case that pitcher would be on the DL and Workman, presumably, would take his place. Capuano would remain in the pen as the long man. And there are more than enough pitchers in camp without Cordero to pitch all the innings necessary. So that leaves the injury to a RP issue. IMO he has earned his stay, whatever the reason he was invited, and Miller, who has pitched poorly, has not. At least thats the way it looks right now. Lots of ST is left.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Workman, Britton and Wilson are all going back to Pawtucket. They are not a factor in this at all-unless there is an injury to a SP in which case that pitcher would be on the DL and Workman, presumably, would take his place. Capuano would remain in the pen as the long man. And there are more than enough pitchers in camp without Cordero to pitch all the innings necessary. So that leaves the injury to a RP issue. IMO he has earned his stay, whatever the reason he was invited, and Miller, who has pitched poorly, has not. At least thats the way it looks right now. Lots of ST is left.

On Workman, I see no reason to demote him.  He was a high draft pick, a good prospect, he pitched well last year, and he pitched well in the playoffs.  You're going to pick a 38 y.o., who hasn't pitched in 18 months, over a 25 y.o. on the basis of 5 IPs?

On Britton, I doubt Ben breaks camp with one regular BP lefty and Capuano.  He'll want two every day lefties.

And while Cordero is pitching well, he had a 7.55 in 2012, and didn't pitch in 2013.  So it's been a long time since he pitced well.

Since 2007, his Whip is 1.384 and his K/W is 1.86.  I'd be surprised if he made our BP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

On Workman, I see no reason to demote him.  He was a high draft pick, a good prospect, he pitched well last year, and he pitched well in the playoffs.  You're going to pick a 38 y.o., who hasn't pitched in 18 months, over a 25 y.o. on the basis of 5 IPs?

On Britton, I doubt Ben breaks camp with one regular BP lefty and Capuano.  He'll want two every day lefties.

And while Cordero is pitching well, he had a 7.55 in 2012, and didn't pitch in 2013.  So it's been a long time since he pitced well.

Since 2007, his Whip is 1.384 and his K/W is 1.86.  I'd be surprised if he made our BP.

I like Workman too, but he has options left AND he needs to regularly start games if he is expected to be a starter. That cannot happen with the Sox; it can happen in Pawtucket, which is where I think he will end up. Britton too as they have Breslow,  Hill, Miller, and Capuano as LHRP, assuming they do not DL Miller (if they do they can keep Cordero). I think two LHRP is fine; we do not need all four of them, let alone adding Britton.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like Workman too, but he has options left AND he needs to regularly start games if he is expected to be a starter. That cannot happen with the Sox; it can happen in Pawtucket, which is where I think he will end up. Britton too as they have Breslow,  Hill, Miller, and Capuano as LHRP, assuming they do not DL Miller (if they do they can keep Cordero). I think two LHRP is fine; we do not need all four of them, let alone adding Britton.

Exactly, Workman has options.  If you let Cordero go and use Workman and he is either ineffective or gets injured we do have other depth options but Cordero is not one of them.  If Cordero falters the So can just let him go and open up a roster spot.

That is how you build depth.

Also Workman struggled down the stretch after a hot start and ended the season with a 4.98 ERA and a 1.46 WHIP.  that doesn't exactly scream "I'm a major leaguer"  He very well may benefit from some more time in Pawtucket, and I like Workman a lot.  I think he is going to be a really good reliever, he could be our set up man by the end of this year or next.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's no secrete I'm go go ga ga over the prospects, but we shouldn't start them just for the sake of starting them.  If there is an option that is better, or may be better, or may be as good and the prospect has options and things to work on, it makes all the sense in the world to give them more time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We used 27 pitchers last year- a year of relatively few injuries.

17 pitchers went 25+ innings and 14 went over 30, including 171.1 by the departed Dempster, 37 by Aceves and 30.1 by Mortensen.

Keeping Cordero makes sense.

There will be enough innings for the prospects, if not, it means all the vets are healthy and doing well. Nothing wrong with that either.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

If they keep Cordero they could also send Workman to Pawtucket as our #6 starter.

Actually this doesn't even factor in Mujica.  We have too much pitching LOL

How the heck did we overlook him?  Good catch, nut!

Sections
Shortcuts