Positives from Bard's start

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I'm more worried about Buchholz.  Bard had:
     18 swing and misses
     5, 2 strike hits
    2 infield hits
    7 singles and only one double which was a jam shot.

five innings, eight hits, five earned runs. He struck out six and generated 18 swing and misses; only once in 2011 did a Boston pitcher get more.

Of the eight hits Bard allowed, two stayed on the infield, two were grounders through holes, one an excuse-me double off the fists and one a jam shot to center.

The Jays scored one in the first off Bard, putting together three hits, including Edwin Encarnacion's infield single to the hole in short to drive in Yunel Escobar.

Two innings later, Toronto stacked four hits together, beginning with Escobar's bloop to center. Adam Lind smoked an 0-2 fastball out over the plate to score one run, and Brett Lawrie went the other way with an outside fastball to bring in a second.

The Jays' three-run fifth was sparked by a leadoff walk to Encarnacion -- Bard's lone base on balls of the night. Bard departed after Lawrie beat out another grounder to short; the reliever Thomas allowed a two-run single to J.P. Arencibia.

To be sure, Bard has to be better with runners on; strangely, that was one of his greatest strengths as a reliever. Toronto scored in each inning it had a baserunner against Bard. He retired the side in order in his three scoreless frames; Boston's first four starters had combined for one 1-2-3 inning.

He also struggled with two strikes. Five of the eight hits he surrendered came with two strikes, and three of them were on 0-2 pitches.

He displayed better command of his fastball than he did during his woes last September, and he worked in several terrific sliders -- including back-to-back sliders to strike out Jose Bautista in the fifth.

His velocity was sharp early, touching 98 in the first inning. He stuck around 95 before he tired in the sixth, dropping to around 92. He threw six changeups in his 96 pitches, and only two of them were in the strike zone. One was to a right-hander; he bounced it to Bautista in the fift

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/2012/04/blue-jays-7-red-sox-3-bard-takes-loss-in-first-start.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Positives from Bard's start

Let me simplify for you on the most identifiable positive:

5 innings 5 runs .... he is as good a pitcher as Beckett with those numbers.

Thanks

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

I think he belongs in the bullpen, he was very effective in that role but as a Yankee fan I say keep him in the rotation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In Response to Re: Positives from Bard's start:
    I think he belongs in the bullpen, he was very effective in that role but as a Yankee fan I say keep him in the rotation.
    Posted by Camelwalk
    Nice to see you back here. Yanks winning a pair didn't hurt the cause I see.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

But this is all to say that Bard showed promise despite the results generated 18 swing and misses;only once in 2011 did a Boston pitcher get more. Impressive   one could easily argue that he was left in to long especially after the fact ;-) 96 pitches mostly under stress in your 1st start in yrs is a lot
    Posted by pinstripezac
    Bard had his moments last night. He can't get by with 2 pitches. He needs to work his change up into the mix. That said he jammed a few guys that resulted in hits and that turf wasn't his friend last night. Over all he was so so.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

only one start for each, but when your fourth and fifth starters average 20 pitches per inning you are looking at eventual bullpen disaster. Gotta keep your eyes on this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

u think so, he was awful the end of last year, did not have a good spring, and last nights game not very good.  i dont know what to do with him. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Positives from Bard's start:
    I'm more worried about Buchholz.  Bard had:  18 swing and misses  5, 2 strike hits 2 infield hits 7 singles and only one double which was a jam shot. five innings, eight hits, five earned runs. He struck out six and generated 18 swing and misses; only once in 2011 did a Boston pitcher get more. Of the eight hits Bard allowed, two stayed on the infield, two were grounders through holes, one an excuse-me double off the fists and one a jam shot to center. The Jays scored one in the first off Bard, putting together three hits, including Edwin Encarnacion's infield single to the hole in short to drive in Yunel Escobar. Two innings later, Toronto stacked four hits together, beginning with Escobar's bloop to center. Adam Lind smoked an 0-2 fastball out over the plate to score one run, and Brett Lawrie went the other way with an outside fastball to bring in a second. The Jays' three-run fifth was sparked by a leadoff walk to Encarnacion -- Bard's lone base on balls of the night. Bard departed after Lawrie beat out another grounder to short; the reliever Thomas allowed a two-run single to J.P. Arencibia. To be sure, Bard has to be better with runners on; strangely, that was one of his greatest strengths as a reliever. Toronto scored in each inning it had a baserunner against Bard. He retired the side in order in his three scoreless frames; Boston's first four starters had combined for one 1-2-3 inning. He also struggled with two strikes. Five of the eight hits he surrendered came with two strikes, and three of them were on 0-2 pitches.  He displayed better command of his fastball than he did during his woes last September, and he worked in several terrific sliders -- including back-to-back sliders to strike out Jose Bautista in the fifth. His velocity was sharp early, touching 98 in the first inning. He stuck around 95 before he tired in the sixth, dropping to around 92. He threw six changeups in his 96 pitches, and only two of them were in the strike zone. One was to a right-hander; he bounced it to Bautista in the fift http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/2012/04/blue-jays-7-red-sox-3-bard-takes-loss-in-first-start.html
    Posted by tom-uk

And the ball came out of his hand well too, I suppose.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

give it time.......big transition for Bard. Have some patience.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

WHAT WILL IMPROVE THE SOX' PERFORMANCE IS GETTING THE
    DEAD WOOD OUTA THE LINEUP. WHY ON EARTH GUYS LIKE
    PUNTO, AVILES, SALTY, AND SHOPPACH ARE ON THIS SQUAD
    IS BEYOND ME !!!  THESE GUYS WOULDN'T EVEN MAKE THE
    YANKEES SCRANTON TEAM, TRUTH BE TOLD. PUNTO AND
    SHOPPACH CANT HIT A LICK AND ARE HAS-BEENS....BUT
    SEEMINGLY GOOD ENUF FOR BOSTON !.  SALTY CANNOT HIT
    A FAST BALL AND HAS HORRID PLATE DISCIPLINE AND AVILES
    SHOULD BE IN TRIPLE A. HE ALSO HAS NO PLATE DISCIPLINE.
    YOUK HAD BETTER STEP IT UP.  SWEENEY AND ROSS SEEM TO
    BE OK...ESPECIALLY SWEENEY.   BARD PITCHED WELL, BUT
    THE SOX COULDN'T HIT A LICK.  TOO MANY GUYS STANDING
    AROUND WITH THE BATS ON THEIR SHOULDERS. THE 
    CATCHING SITUATION HAS TO BE RESOLVED.  I SEE 
    LAVARNWAY BEING RECALLED IF SALTY CANNOT CUT IT.
    THAT IS GONNA BE INTERESTING.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

BARD WAS NOT AS BAD AS THE SCORE INDICATED.  A LOT OF
    THE HITS WERE SEEING EYE HITS. SINGLES THAT FOUND THEIR
    WAY THRU THE CARPET. ON GRASS THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN
    FIELDED.  LIND'S HIT WAS CLEAN AND SO WAS ENCARNACIONS.
    WITH SALTY IN THE LINEUP, BOSTON HAS AN AUTOMATIC
    OUT...JUST LIKE VARITEK WAS.  SALTALAMACCHIA JUST CANNOT
    HIT A LICK AND THE EXPERIMENT WILL SOON BE OVER.  HE
    COULDN'T CUT IT WITH TEXAS AND HE WILL NOT CUT IT HERE
    EITHER. WE ARE BEING TOO GENEROUS.. CERVELLI COULDNT
    CUT IT WITH THE YANKS AND HE IS WORLDS BETTER THAN
    SALTY. I WISH WE HAD HIM RATHER THAT THE STIFFS WE HAVE
    NOW.  SHOPPACH COULDN'T CUT IT IN TAMPA, SO OF COURSE
    WE SIGN HIM.  WE ARE BECOMING THE HOUSTON ASTROS OF
    THE AL EAST.  WE SIGN THE CASTOFFS NO ONE ELSE WANTS.
    SUCH AS:  SALTY, SHOPPACH, AVILES, PUNTO  !!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Bard blows... and he blew all last September. What kind of maniacal franchise takes Bard and turns him into a starter.....????? Oh and all of this when we have no fireman.

If Bard is another Clay or Beckett than does it matter if he is good for one or two years and then sucks five other years? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Unlike Beckett and Buch, Bard seemed to pitch better than his final numbers indicate.  Should have been through 5 innings with 1 run against, and about 15 fewer pitches, if he had better support especially on the left side of the infield.  It sure looks like Youk has no range at all and Punto is at best a fair defensive SS (as is Aviles).  Its not too early in the season to notice that too many ground balls are getting through, extending innings and raising pitch counts.  It would not surprise me at all that by May 1st, Iggy is the SS, Aviles is at 3B and Youk becomes the utility player.  Gotta wonder how much better the team would be if after '10 they decided to sign Beltre and move Youk while he still had trade value.  There's still hope that his bat comes alive, but I have little hope that he will not be a defensive weakness at 3B.

One last thought on the pitching - any way to get Tek back as catching coach to teach Salty how to better manage games.  Seems like too many times a guy gets the hitter in a 0-2, 1-2 hole and lets him get away.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I saw some positive things on his 1st start.... Keep working on that change/curve keepin hitters off balance !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I didn't see much positive, but I try to refrain from small sample judgements. I still wish he was in our pen right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

Watching the game, I thought he pitched fairly well for the 1st time as a starter.  He got better as the night went (except for the last inning).  He probably was tired and should have been done the prior inning (5 was enough), especially after the wait in the top of the 6th.  He had a couple tough breaks for hits.  I'm sure his 3rd pitch will be worked into future starts a bit more.

Not sold on Thomas.  Don't expect he will be around long. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

you guys are nuts..with na lil more luck, he couldve pulled a felix d last nite...i dont usually agree with tom but if you didnt see the worth of bard starting last nite, then youre blind...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I saw some positive things on his 1st start.... Keep working on that change/curve keepin hitters off balance !!!
    Posted by Bill-806

It is a postive that you didn't start 8 threads today... good job zero.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

It was POSITIVELY horrible.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I thought Bard was very good - Punto alone cost him two runs.  I want to hear from all the Francona bashers how they feel about Justin Thomas coming in to a two-run game with two runners on in the sixth.  Before you answer, tell me if you know who Justin Thomas is.  Or how about letting Ryan Sweeney hit against a left-hander with two on, two out in the eighth.  If you're not going to use McDonald in that situation, you might as well release him now.  Poorly managed game last night, IMO.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Bard had control problems all spring.  The fact that he was throwing strikes was good in the sense that this is the essential aspect of his succesful conversion (would have been nice to see in March, but his change-up was still a work in progress and I think this probably affected his overall control).  For my own inner jury, he has bought himself a little more time before I can say he needs to be moved back to the pen (though the pen sure could use him).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Admittedly I was flipping back and forth with Celts game but from what I saw, I think there is reason for optism.  I know Remy was lamenting about Bard not using the change up at all until like his 60th pitch or someting, so that is obvisiously a problem if he is not comfortable throwing a 3rd pitch.

The first inning, consisted of what can best be described as a lucky/excuse me double and then an RBI infield single on a play that definitely could have been made, that actually came after a pitch that sure looked like strike 3.

I thought Bard looked pretty comfortable and am looking forward to his next start.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I certainly didn't see anything that was cause for alarm from bard last night.  Agree about being left in too long in hindsight, but at the time I was ok with it.  I just can't understand why you bring in Thomas as anything more than a mop.

I can live with ground ball singles through the infield and infield hits (when evaluating a starter), and that's what did Bard in last night.  He also needs to work in his change earlier, although it was clear he was saving it for the 2nd time through the lineup.

I think going forward we'll see him closer to 95-96 in the 1st, which should help him maintain velocity better throughout the game.

Sections
Shortcuts