Positives from Bard's start

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Re: Positives from Bard's start

In Response to Re: Positives from Bard's start:
    In Response to Re: Positives from Bard's start : Agree. There was a lot to like. Hopefully the next time out, those seeing-eye grounders become routine grounders rather than hard shots. I still have a wait-and-see attitude with him. I never like small samples, but I felt it was a good start.
    Posted by royf19

I thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Positives from Bard's start : I have long been a proponent of giving Bard a chance in the rotation because I think if he can be an effective starter he has more value to the team throwing 200 innings than 70.... BUT   I do agree that if/when Dice or Cook is ready Bard is the logical choice to move back to the Pen if either of those other guys proves to be effective this year.  However, if Bard is pitching well in the starting role it doesn't really make sense to move him to make room.  One thing is clear, the "where should Bard be used" debate is not going away anytime soon.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Of course, what's logical now might not be logical later. For instance, and we'll keep Cook out of the debate for now, if DiceK is ready at the halfway point, and by then, Bard has 15 starts and is 7-3 with a 3.80 ERA and consistently pitches into the seventh by then, he might not be the logical choice at that point.

I'm not going to look ahead. I want a decent sample size of starts before making any sort of decision.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Positives from Bard's start : NESN trivia today.... In 1999 Pedro struck out 10+ 19 times, so there is that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that K's don't have their place.  Just that swings and misses are a better predictor of future performance than K's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Positives from Bard's start : Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that K's don't have their place.  Just that swings and misses are a better predictor of future performance than K's.
    Posted by JB-3

The 2 are not mutually exclusive.  Better than 70% of K's are "down swinging".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Positives from Bard's start":
    In Response to Re: Positives from Bard's start : Well barring an injury, when DiceK is ready, something is going to have to give.  Maybe it is Doubrant but I don't see Dice heading to the Pen.  I'm not exactly clear on Cook's contract but I'm pretty sure if he is not on the roster by May 1, he is gone, so there is also that. Posted by Thesemenarecowards
    These things tend to work themselves out. While I like Cook, he isn't Roy Halladay. They could also work out an agreement with him that buys them some time, an injury could certainly occur, etc...Dice-K is too far out at this point to worry about that...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I'm baffled that some posters can't see how well he pitched:

Last night                       vs              Career

BABIP       .471             .248         

K/9                10.8                         9.7
    BB/9                1.8                         3.4

LOB%               44                         73
    GB%                 65                         49

FIP                   .87                        3.16

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Of course, what's logical now might not be logical later

Drivel, at it's distilled essence.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Positives from Bard's start : The 2 are not mutually exclusive.  Better than 70% of K's are "down swinging".

That's all fine and good, but it depends on when you get the swing and miss to determine if it's a K or not.  As long as you can miss bats, you will likely pile up K's, but just because you missed bats, doesn't mean that you have piled them up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I'm baffled that some posters can't see how well he pitched:   Last night                       vs              Career BABIP       .471             .248          K/9                10.8                         9.7 BB/9                1.8                         3.4 LOB%               44                         73 GB%                 65                         49 FIP                   .87                        3.16
    Posted by tom-uk

That's an impressive FIP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

my eyes tell me that he is fluid, challenges hitters, and has good composure...i dont think babe is going to enjoy Bard a lot this season..lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I wasn't dissatisfied with Bard's performance. He made a few 0-2 mistakes, but I saw enough to encourage me. He has great potential--Doc Halliday kind of stuff. He needs to be tougher mentally, his body language told me that he's not quite there yet. He'd strut off the mound just a bit after a strike out, then kind of tossed his arms in the air a little after giving up a key it, like the single to Lind. Polar opposite examples of a slight lack of confidence. It reminded me of something a little leaguer would do. But that's ok, he'll get through it, he'll toughen up. There was a lot to build on, I felt ok about it. It was his first big league start, he was ok.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

From my chair, he pitched pretty darn well and had some bad luck.  Ignoring the stats is dangerous over a large sample set but doing so in one start is fine.  You say "overall I was not impressed" ... I for one am curious what leads you to say that.

Yes, he had many "swings and misses".

Yes, he had some poor fielding behind him.

He also had some hard hit outs.

Maybe it just takes more to "impress" me than others. He pitched decently, but to me he was not "impressive". I like bard a lot. He was a great set-up man--one of MLB's best. He didn't do that by accident. He has some nasty stuff. We saw some of that in his first start, hence the swings and misses, but he will not have a great season if he picthes exactly laike his first start even with stellar defense behind him (which we don't have).

His first start hasn't made me feel any better or worse about his move to the rotation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

From my chair, he pitched pretty darn well and had some bad luck.  Ignoring the stats is dangerous over a large sample set but doing so in one start is fine.  You say "overall I was not impressed" ... I for one am curious what leads you to say that. Yes, he had many "swings and misses". Yes, he had some poor fielding behind him. He also had some hard hit outs. Maybe it just takes more to "impress" me than others. He pitched decently, but to me he was not "impressive". I like bard a lot. He was a great set-up man--one of MLB's best. He didn't do that by accident. He has some nasty stuff. We saw some of that in his first start, hence the swings and misses, but he will not have a great season if he picthes exactly laike his first start even with stellar defense behind him (which we don't have). His first start hasn't made me feel any better or worse about his move to the rotation.
    Posted by moonslav59

You are right Mr Moon, he would not have a great season he would have an amazing season.

His start was the third best by FIP in all of MLB so far.

Pedro put up similar peripherals (10.8 K/9, 1.8 BB/9) in 2002 when he went 20 - 4.

Sections
Shortcuts