Possible alternatives for more production from 1B

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Possible alternatives for more production from 1B

Just wondering if Sox management has considered platooning Carp with Napoli at 1B, with Carp going against righties and Napoli against lefties.

Although Napoli's stats are puzzling in that his BA and power numbers against lefties is lower than that against righties, Carps numbers against righties certainly merit some consideration for his presence in the lineup against righties.  And maybe platooning Napoli and resting him against against righties would invigorate him for the stretch run. 

AB     BA   HR  RBI  BB  SO

Napoli vs L    118  .246   3    11  17   39

vs R     277  .253  11   56   32  113

Carp  vs L      22    .273   1     3    1     11

vs R     143   .315   7    26   15   43  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Re: Possible alternatives for more production from 1B

More Carp and less Nap sounds good to me

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Carp is just as bad as Napoli...if you factor in his D he might be worse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

They had a potential star for firstbase, but they traded him away....because they panicked when he didn't hit enough homeruns....then they repalced him with a guy who is thriving in Tampa.

The revolving door at firstbase will continue just like the revolving door at shortstop. Until someone exercises a little patience and doesn't think every time the team jumps out to a good first half, they need to sell off the farm for better chance to win it all.

Today's successful franchises do not change from rebuilding to "win it all now" every time the wind changes direction. Make a plan and stick with it, stop changing in mid-stream.

Businessmen make lousy baseball owners, unless they hire people who know what they are doing and keep hands off....hear that Larry?

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Just wondering if Sox management has considered platooning Carp with Napoli at 1B, with Carp going against righties and Napoli against lefties.

Although Napoli's stats are puzzling in that his BA and power numbers against lefties is lower than that against righties, Carps numbers against righties certainly merit some consideration for his presence in the lineup against righties.  And maybe platooning Napoli and resting him against against righties would invigorate him for the stretch run. 

vs R     277  .253  11   56   32  113

I have been on that track since way before AS brake... that is , hit him lower and platoon him, if it does not work, bench him out right...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Bench Napoli???

Why? And replace him with who?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Bench Napoli???

as much as some don't like napoli he's the best we have so we must deal with it. at worst, he continues to K (not a big deal) but still sees a ton of pitches and grinds out ABs. he consistently gets into deep counts and is a tough out. his power potential is huge, if he gets on a hot streak he can solely carry the team offensively with how well our starters have been.

there are better 1Bmans than Naps but there are definitely much much worse options. Keep Carp in his bench role for now, maybe give him a few more games periodically to rest Naps a bit to be sure he is ready for october.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Bench Napoli???

as much as some don't like napoli he's the best we have so we must deal with it. at worst, he continues to K (not a big deal) but still sees a ton of pitches and grinds out ABs. he consistently gets into deep counts and is a tough out. his power potential is huge, if he gets on a hot streak he can solely carry the team offensively with how well our starters have been.

there are better 1Bmans than Naps but there are definitely much much worse options. Keep Carp in his bench role for now, maybe give him a few more games periodically to rest Naps a bit to be sure he is ready for october.

Agree 100%. People who like Carp and hate Napoli are only saying so because they see Napoli everyday.  If Carp played everday he'd be Napoli 2.0. So Napoli K's 33% of the time, Carp K's 30% of the time, he walks less and his defense is inferior to Napolis.

Its not as if I'm trying to defend Napoli as a great player, I'm not.  It's just that the reality is, as you've said, there's really no other option right now.

The only advantage Carp has over Napoli is he is much cheaper.....but that is of zero consequence now and makes for discussion of who should be the 1B in 2014.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

They had a potential star for firstbase, but they traded him away....because they panicked when he didn't hit enough homeruns....then they repalced him with a guy who is thriving in Tampa.

The revolving door at firstbase will continue just like the revolving door at shortstop. Until someone exercises a little patience and doesn't think every time the team jumps out to a good first half, they need to sell off the farm for better chance to win it all.

Today's successful franchises do not change from rebuilding to "win it all now" every time the wind changes direction. Make a plan and stick with it, stop changing in mid-stream.

Businessmen make lousy baseball owners, unless they hire people who know what they are doing and keep hands off....hear that Larry?

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

No, they had a legitimate star at first base. There's no doubt about it, and I don't think that anyone here would argue with that fact. They wanted to get rid of Beckett and Crawford (more importantly those contracts) to rebuild in a year. The only way that they could do that was to part with Gonzo. If they could have done the same trade without including him, they would have done that in a heartbeat. At the same time, a lot of what this team is doing (and what most teams who win do) is play with chemistry. You don't need an all star at every position, you need a team who pull together and feed off each other. Gonzo never looked like that kind of guy in Boston. He actually does look like that kind of player in LA and always did in SD, but for whatever reason, he never seemed to really fit in with the Sox. Does that make that much of a difference? I dunno, but he was part of that trade last year because the Dodgers wouldn't do it without him, not because the Sox wanted to dump him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

No, they had a legitimate star at first base. There's no doubt about it, and I don't think that anyone here would argue with that fact. They wanted to get rid of Beckett and Crawford (more importantly those contracts) to rebuild in a year. The only way that they could do that was to part with Gonzo. If they could have done the same trade without including him, they would have done that in a heartbeat. At the same time, a lot of what this team is doing (and what most teams who win do) is play with chemistry. You don't need an all star at every position, you need a team who pull together and feed off each other. Gonzo never looked like that kind of guy in Boston. He actually does look like that kind of player in LA and always did in SD, but for whatever reason, he never seemed to really fit in with the Sox. Does that make that much of a difference? I dunno, but he was part of that trade last year because the Dodgers wouldn't do it without him, not because the Sox wanted to dump him.

i totally agree with this post minus the part about his clubhouse status. in 2012, everyone was miserable and malcontent. singling A-gon out is unfair. If you look to 2011 he was an integral part of the clubhouse. he played a big role in papis resurgance (ask papi if you don't believe me) and always had a smile on his face during the season. Yeah he made excuses for the collapse after the fact but who didn't? he attributed it to divine intervention, others attributed it to voodo (i said a rays fan gave up his first born). it happens. but for the most part i think he was a positive influence (as much as i can say looking in from the outside) in the clubhouse for most of his tenure here. I'd still love to have him but it was a necessary sacrifice to be rid of CC

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Diagree, platoon him or bench him, Nap to our regret is not only a rally killer or a whiff king ( those califications  are not mine) but imho has been the greatest anti-clutch man ever seen, at least in a Sox uniform... Long ago I posted he might not be healthy enough to perform as projected... Someone posted about his contract reduction and other said that when he swings he is not following the ball but looking at dead centerfield... Oh how I hope and pray for a comeback that proves us wrong!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id play carp a few extra games, but if you start playing him a lot he WILL get exposed. There needs to be a good balance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Diagree, platoon him or bench him, Nap to our regret is not only a rally killer or a whiff king ( those califications  are not mine) but imho has been the greatest anti-clutch man ever seen, at least in a Sox uniform... Long ago I posted he might not be healthy enough to perform as projected... Someone posted about his contract reduction and other said that when he swings he is not following the ball but looking at dead centerfield... Oh how I hope and pray for a comeback that proves us wrong!

I'm not arguing that Napolis season has been a bit of a disappointment.  I'm saying Carp is really not an upgrade.  His in season splits are such a SSS a rational argument surrounding them really can't be made, if anything his BABIP suggest he is due for a regression.  And seeing how he K's just as much and walks less and his defense has been horrible all year he would likelybe just as hated as Napoli as a full time 1B.  

I agree Napolis performance has been disapointing, we need someone else batting 5th and he K's way too much.  I just know we will not get anything better from Carp this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Id play carp a few extra games, but if you start playing him a lot he WILL get exposed. There needs to be a good balance.

Exactly I wouldn't mind Carp getting an extra start at first once a week but if he started it would be Napoli 2.0

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Exactly I wouldn't mind Carp getting an extra start at first once a week but if he started it would be Napoli 2.0

Respectfully, I would suggest that if Carp had an equal number of AB's solely against righties in place of Napoli, the numbers would extrapolate as shown below.

vs R     277  .253  11   56   32  113

(277)  (.315)  (14) (50) (29) (83)

I just do not see Carp as the rally-killer that Napoli has been, particularly of late.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

Bench Napoli???

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Farrell is now at a point to where hes sticking with Naps to a fault. There is NO WAY I dont PH for him today when hes looked terrible K'ing 3 times. Carp should have hit for him. no questions asked. Gomes hit for NAVA who is a much better hitter this year than Naps and doesnt K nearly as much. Hes also a switch hitter!

There should be a better balance of starts with Carp, Nava, and Naps at 1b and depending on how naps is hitting, hes a candidate to be PH for late in games. JMHO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Most strikeouts in American League history? Jack Cust, 197. Napoli is on a 209 pace. Wow. Napoli is also struggling big time his last 13 games.

On the other hand, Carp hasn't homered since June 15th. Despite that, I think I am going to play Carp more against righties. Not a complete platoon, but Carp more, Napoli less makes sense to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In the offseason, would you trade one option year of 29-year-old Jon Lester at $13 million for three arbitration years of 26-year-old Seattle firstbaseman Justin Smoak, who has an OPS+ of 133 this season? I'm not sure the Mariners would.

Former Mariner hitters Adrian Beltre and Mike Carp thrived in a Red Sox uniform.

notin recently compared Justin Smoak to Justin Upton:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/oak-and-smupton/100/6768789

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Jose Abreu has apparently got into his inner tube and escaped Alcatraz. He is our 1st basman of the future. I offer 6-120 and don't blink.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The guy posted .276 / .333 / .399  with an OPS+ of 99 from 2008 through 2012.  Which of those numbers screamed "potential star" at age 28? 

In fact, Loney has been so bad in his career that people are scraming about how we "missed out" on his .806 OPS.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Gonzalez stunk with the Sox. Once he got here and realized how hard he had to hit the ball to RF he just started whinning like crazy. He doesn't have Papi's power and, in reality, Loney is having a better season than Gonzo particularly when you factor the $.

Good ridance to Gonzo

Sections
Shortcuts