Possible FA's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Possible FA's

Here's a list of some very intrigueing low risk-high reward type of players. Most will be very cheap and they have all had their option declined, or are free agents. Some are even Minor League free agents which will make them extremely inexspensive.

Francisco Cordero
    Octavio Dotel
    Ryan Doumit
    Armando Galarraga
    Aaron Harang
    Scott Kazmir
    Fred Lewis
    Brad Lidge
    Paul Maholm
    Nate McLouth
    Lastings Milledge
    Grady Sizemore

I especially like Cordero then maybe Maholm and Dotel if they come cheap.

One of the "Eric Chavez" or "Freddy Garcia" deals we can make are for Sizemore and Kazmir. Attempt to sign them to a minor league deal, or a very cheap 1 year 1 mill (cheap for a Big Market's standards) and if they never produce it's no big deal, and if they do then can contribute to the Major League Club or be used as trade bait.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Re: Possible FA's

I also like cody ross.  A few good bullpen names there. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Let me start at the top. Francisco Cordero. Hmmmm...does he want to close? Have you decided what you're doing with Jon Papelbon and Dan Bard yet?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

The likelyhood that cordero lands a closing job is quite low.
    while his stats are pretty good for this past year, every time he touches the mound, theres is a very real chance that he might just walk his way into a blown save.
    His stuff is nasty but his lack of control and lack of consistency will lend him to being a set up man
    being from Cincinnati, i know first hand how scared everyone reds fan gets when he comes in in a close game in the 9th inning

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

That list is not overly appealing.... all the more reason to go young and acquire any necessary help in July.

I wonder what the list looks like for 2013.... that is nealry as important. Who might be available in July? After we see if Kalish, Lavarnway, and Iglesias can stick. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Possible FA's:
    [QUOTE]Let me start at the top. Francisco Cordero. Hmmmm...does he want to close? Have you decided what you're doing with Jon Papelbon and Dan Bard yet?
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

You don't want Cordero closing. He'll drive you nuts. Almost every game he closed for the Reds was an adventure, and he blew a lot of saves. Closing in Boston might not be good. I like him though, but for the 7th inning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Lastings Milledge ?  Is he still around ?

See that Phils are throwing some numbers at Paps  and at Ryan Madsen -- and Madsen is close to signingAny  team  want to give  Paps   $15 million per year for  30 saves  or $500K per save?

He often throws  20-30 pitches to get that save   so maybe it becomes better econmy to on a $$ per pitch basis ?

Rumor is in Philly  he was looking for  3years/50 million.. which  seems a bit high..in terms of $$ and years..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Possible FA's:
    [QUOTE]Here's a list of some very intrigueing low risk-high reward type of players. Most will be very cheap and they have all had their option declined, or are free agents. Some are even Minor League free agents which will make them extremely inexspensive. Francisco Cordero Octavio Dotel Ryan Doumit Armando Galarraga Aaron Harang Scott Kazmir Fred Lewis Brad Lidge Paul Maholm Nate McLouth Lastings Milledge Grady Sizemore I especially like Cordero then maybe Maholm and Dotel if they come cheap. One of the "Eric Chavez" or "Freddy Garcia" deals we can make are for Sizemore and Kazmir. Attempt to sign them to a minor league deal, or a very cheap 1 year 1 mill (cheap for a Big Market's standards) and if they never produce it's no big deal, and if they do then can contribute to the Major League Club or be used as trade bait.
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4[/QUOTE]
    I hear your effort here, but IMO, I would not want any of these guys with the exception of possibly Dotel.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I like Dotel also. He's been around a long time--would be another good set-up guy and has closer experience in case Madson, Bard or Aceves fail in that role.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I just looked at the Sox Roster, no Pap, Papi, Drew, Wake, Tek. We are definitely open for business; let's get to work boys and girls.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a list of some very intrigueing low risk-high reward type of players. Most will be very cheap and they have all had their option declined, or are free agents. Some are even Minor League free agents which will make them extremely inexspensive. Francisco Cordero Octavio Dotel Ryan Doumit Armando Galarraga Aaron Harang Scott Kazmir Fred Lewis Brad Lidge Paul Maholm Nate McLouth Lastings Milledge Grady Sizemore I especially like Cordero then maybe Maholm and Dotel if they come cheap. One of the "Eric Chavez" or "Freddy Garcia" deals we can make are for Sizemore and Kazmir. Attempt to sign them to a minor league deal, or a very cheap 1 year 1 mill (cheap for a Big Market's standards) and if they never produce it's no big deal, and if they do then can contribute to the Major League Club or be used as trade bait.

NO = Cordero, Lidge, Doumit, Kazmir, Lewis, Milledge, Sizemore, Galarraga, Dotel, (Reason, all are either too old or often injure proned player)

Yes = Harang, Malholm, 

Maybe = McLouth (play CF and bat lefty)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Possible FA's : You don't want Cordero closing. He'll drive you nuts. Almost every game he closed for the Reds was an adventure, and he blew a lot of saves. Closing in Boston might not be good. I like him though, but for the 7th inning.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying I want Cordero, but the guy had a 1.019 WHIP this year, so he couldn't have been all that bad. He did have 6 blown saves out of 43 chances, but if you look at his game log, you'll see he really just had one bad 4 game stretch (7 ER in 3.1 IP). He was pretty solid the rest of the year.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac24. Show mac24's posts

I've seen a couple of reports where they think the bidding on Sizemore could drive a 1yr / 9 mil contract. Very similar to what he made this year I believe. To much money for a giant question mark but someone will probably overpay.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Sizemore is going to be more expensive than 1 year, $1M.  There have been reports of anything from a 1 year, incentive laden deal with a player option ( http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?&articleid=1377446&format=&page=1&listingType=sox#articleFull ) to a 1 year , $7M deal (I can't find the link).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Possible FA's : As usual, you're wrong.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Do you have anything to support that claim, or do you just like seeing yourself type?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I'd take a flyer on Sizemore for RF. Sure, another LHB in the line-up but the potential is there for a comeback season.
    The only other option, other than Kalish/Reddick, is to trade for Francoeur.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Francisco Cordero - not coming to Boston for 7th inning role.  and Sox won't consider him as team's closer.  Chance of landing: 1%

Octavio Dotel - Dotel could be very valuable mid-inning reliever.  However he can be little pricey for mid- reliever after his contribution to WS title.
    Chance of landing: 5%

Ryan Doumit - don't need another catcher right now.  Chance of landing: 0%

Armando Galarraga - If Sox decides to sign FA starter, they can do alot better than Armando for sure.  Chance of landing: 0%

Aaron Harang - Harang could be a good upgrade in our rotation. good 2011 season.  #4 or 5 starter.  2 yrs/ 10 M Chance of landing: 30%

Scott Kazmir - Where was this guy

Fred Lewis - not wasting my time on this guy

Brad Lidge - risky, pricey, don't see Sox risking all that money on risky closer.
    Chance of landing: 1%

Paul Maholm - had decent year, very affordable, but ended season injured (Left shoulder inury) Chance of landing: 3%

Nate McLouth - LHB OFer who never had full season in his career, Sox not signing another LHB OFer. Chance of landing: 0%

Lastings Milledge - could be replacement for DMac, only 26 DMac 32, about same price tags on both players, Lastings has speed, RHB, defensive skills, 
    Chance of landing: 5%

Grady Sizemore - Very risky one but can be valuable asset if he stays healthy.  Sizemore manages himself staying healthy, Ellsbury can be valuable trade chip for a league top strater.  1 yr 8-9 M could get the deal done, If he stays away from DL stint through out the season, grant him multi year extention and trade Ells for an Ace before Ells hits FA. Chance of landing: 30%

Conclusion: I don't see Sox signing anyone in this list.