Possible Free Agent Pitchers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Possible Free Agent Pitchers

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Do the Koreans use a smaller ball, as in Japan?  I am suspicious of the quality of control and ability to throw curves, slurves and sliders of anyone who has made a career out of throwing a smaller ball.

I couldn't find any source or links about korean baseball organization (KBO) using smaller baseballs. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Do the Koreans use a smaller ball, as in Japan?  I am suspicious of the quality of control and ability to throw curves, slurves and sliders of anyone who has made a career out of throwing a smaller ball.

I'm Korean.  In Korea, they use smaller baseballs.  

The level of playing field in Korea is between AA and AAA here in the States.

I remember when BH Kim was blasted by the Korean media for flipping the bird to Red Sox fans at Fenway.  He is a disgrace.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

Do not offer market contracts for any of them! They are all 2nd rate pitchers, and the Red Sox are already loaded with those.

I agree with you Softy, in principle if not tone.  If the Sox are going to plunk down free-agent market money on a starter, it should be on someone who can anchor the rotation.  Now call them 2nd rate or what you will, but Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront make up a solid rotation if you can put somebody at the front of it that is an actual #1 stopper guy.  But, I do not see the sense in throwing down big dollars for a mid-rotation guy.  Redundant.  And Lackey all over again.  

Now, if they can scoop up a Brandon mcCarthy for non-inflated sum because he flies under the radar, I am all for it.  But paying top dollar for a Haren, Peavey (except on a one year deal) or a Grienke is not the way forward.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is the guy who called for Doubront to be in the rotation while on the DL and rehabbing in 2011.

No, this is the guy who called for Doubrant to be in the rotation over Tim Wastefield during all the time Doubrant wasn't on the DL in 2011. You are the stooge who wanted Tiim Wastefield in the rotation in 2011 on his lose every start caused the2011 collapse siking individual record tour.

You wanted Doubront in the starting 5 the first week of April. I pointed out to you at the time that Doubront was on the DL, then later that he was in rehab. You kept repeating your call for Doubront over Wake through it all. Stop the lies.

This is the guy who said Wake was keeping  Weiland from having a great full ML season in 2011.

No, this is the guy who said to use Doubrant, Weiland and Miller and Osama Obama for any starts they gave Tim Wastefield. Had they done so, the Red Sox would have make the 2011 playoffs.

He still thinks Weiland and Miller outpitched Wake in 2011. (At least he's not denying this one.)

This is the guy that said there are available minor league pitchers capable of pitching sub 5.00 ERA in the majors "ready to be plucked by any team".

This is the guy who said that "minor league pitchers" like Doubrant and Miller et al were a better option that fat old loser Tim Wastefield and his many starts and over 5 ERA for years.

No, I was talking about the time you were cornered about naming names in the Sox system of players that were ML ready and that Wake "was holding back". After you were schooled over and over with each name you brought up, you then said there were "minor league starters all over the minors that could be plucked and who could give us sub 5.00 ERAs.

(I then showed that there were about 1.5 starters on the average ML team with ERAs over 5.00, and how most AL teams who made it to the WAS since 2003 have has 1-2 starters over 5.00.)

You are the stooge who kept campaigning on how valuable a 4 or 5 or 6 starter that Tim Wastefield was, including offering him million in 2012, down to one million, then a desperate plea to pay him $750,000 for 2012. He was kicked to the curb like I campaigned to have him kicked to the curb.

You wanted him kicked to the curb since 2007. 4 years you were wrong, then 5 years later you got "it right". You are such a stud!

I'm glad you finally got one right. Too bad you have to keep repeating your one glory story over and over. It's kinda annoying.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If the Sox are going to plunk down free-agent market money on a starter, it should be on someone who can anchor the rotation.  Now call them 2nd rate or what you will, but Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront make up a solid rotation if you can put somebody at the front of it that is an actual #1 stopper guy.  But, I do not see the sense in throwing down big dollars for a mid-rotation guy.  Redundant.  And Lackey all over again.  

Now, if they can scoop up a Brandon mcCarthy for non-inflated sum because he flies under the radar, I am all for it.  But paying top dollar for a Haren, Peavey (except on a one year deal) or a Grienke is not the way forward.

I have always wanted to rebuild our staff from the top (1 or 2 slots), but that doesn't mean signing a solid #3 slot guy will not help.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

If the Sox are going to plunk down free-agent market money on a starter, it should be on someone who can anchor the rotation.  Now call them 2nd rate or what you will, but Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront make up a solid rotation if you can put somebody at the front of it that is an actual #1 stopper guy.  But, I do not see the sense in throwing down big dollars for a mid-rotation guy.  Redundant.  And Lackey all over again.  

I have always wanted to rebuild our staff from the top (1 or 2 slots), but that doesn't mean signing a solid #3 slot guy will not help.

Sure.  I do not mean to suggest that signing a middle-rotation calibre starter would be a mistake.  But I do think it would be a mistake to pay the kind of inflated FA money I think a Grienke or a Haren might get, given the dearth of quality on the market.  I would as soon stand pat.  In any case, better to wait out the market on this one and see if a guy like McCarthy does not command toppish dollars, or Haren for that matter.  Just no need to go reaching for any of the names floating out there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

signing someone simply for the sake of signing someone is the surest way to regret.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Sure.  I do not mean to suggest that signing a middle-rotation calibre starter would be a mistake.  But I do think it would be a mistake to pay the kind of inflated FA money I think a Grienke or a Haren might get, given the dearth of quality on the market.  I would as soon stand pat.  In any case, better to wait out the market on this one and see if a guy like McCarthy does not command toppish dollars, or Haren for that matter.  Just no need to go reaching for any of the names floating out there.

++2

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

except i think they will be signing someone for the sake of signing them. we NEED more pitching and it looks like there is at least 1-3 pitchers out on the FA market who can fit with our team. we are unlikely to fill our payroll so if you have to overpay on a 2-3 year deal to get a good pitcher to come here then im all for it

Sections
Shortcuts