Possible option to trade Lackey?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Re: Three possible options to trade Lackey?

I saw a fan in Newton yesterday waxing his car and buffing it off with a No. 41 Lackey jersey.      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Three possible options to trade Lackey?:
    I saw a fan in Newton yesterday waxing his car and buffing it off with a No. 41 Lackey jersey.      
    Posted by OnDeckCircle

Are you serious? That's really funny. I waxed mine yesterday and could have used one. It's a nice use for a piece of garbage pitcher's jersey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Three possible options to trade Lackey? : Are you serious? That's really funny. I waxed mine yesterday and could have used one. It's a nice use for a piece of garbage pitcher's jersey.
    Posted by ADG

Agree that would be a good way to use his jersey.  I don't think that anyone would want to wear Lackey's Red Sox jersey again. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I will take A.J. Burnett over Lackey right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Posted by OnDeckCircle

I wouldn't use a Lackey jersey to wax my car,I'd be afraid it would get hit hard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by concord27

I don't think AJ or John will ever handle pressure well.  Theo needs to address the Lackey situation before next season starts.  We can't have a 6/7 ERA guy on our starting staff and reach our goal.  Wake is nearing the end of his career after years of quality service and still pitched than John this season.

When your #6 out pitches whatever we consider Lackey, we have an issue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I haven't heard any stories to confirm this, but I find it hard to believe that there's sudden chemistry and clubhouse issues and Lackey isn't somehow involved in that. The guy seems like a complete jerk, on and off the field. If they want to change the culture in the clubhouse, I think you get rid of him, by any means necessary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

First: 6/9/2008
    Last: 10/3/2011
    Sorry, but it will be hard to watch this team with Lackey still on it.  I'm pretty sick over the developments of the weekend.  Tito deserved better from his players.  Whether you thought he was a good manager or a bad manager, he is certainly a good person that had the backs of this players.  He deserved better than to have his team not give 100% to win.

This Sox team could have been absolutely great.  Unfortunately, not everyone was committed to winning. 

I hope Epstein and Tito go to the Cubs.  I'll get the MLB package and become a Cubs fan.

Please go be a Cubs fan--- 1 less fair weathered bandwagon fan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I haven't heard any stories to confirm this, but I find it hard to believe that there's sudden chemistry and clubhouse issues and Lackey isn't somehow involved in that. The guy seems like a complete jerk, on and off the field. If they want to change the culture in the clubhouse, I think you get rid of him, by any means necessary.
    Posted by Modano09
    Lackey's greatest contribution to the collapse IMO was between the lines. Everything else is speculation that flies in what his current and former Angel teammates say about him.

Did his stinking along with Miller, Weiland, Wake and Bedard missing so many starts drag that clubhouse down? Probably. Did how well the RS played from mid-April to August make the group complacent and lack urgency? Probably. Did the two things become their undoing when they had to win a few games to not suffer a total collapse? Undoubtedly. 

But while everybody is jumping off of bridges, by many measures the best start in the last two weeks of the collapse belonged to Lackey in his last start against the NYY.

One can only hope the RS go a lot slower with their decisions than the fanbase is. The culture will change without a rush to jettison guys at any cost tjust to have jettisoned them. The fact Francona left and the embarrassment of it all will change people IMO.

And for the record, Lackey's signing could be disputed but it his prior results fit into to market comps for similar FA pitchers.

I defy anybody to an OF w/a .340 lifetime OBP who averaged under 15 HRs and 80 RBI a year who ever was given a $142M deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikezep61. Show mikezep61's posts

Posted by concord27

I would take Carol Burnett over Lackey right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Just take his hick, ugly AZZ out back and show him the end of a buggy wip...then pour hot beer on the blood and pus weeping wounds....then maybe the green tooothed goober will shut his face and pitch for a change...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Soriano would be awesome if they'd agree to it.  This was the exact type of trade I was thinking of.  One overpayed, over-rated player for another.  I like Soriano's game.  He hits for power.  I'm not looking for anything else for this particular role.  i would have put Lowrie in right field last year.  Defense is not a factor.
    Posted by mattc355

I suspect the Cubs would do that trade straight-up: three years of Alfonso Soriano at $54 million for three years of John Lackey at $46.25 million. And I suspect Soriano, who turns 36 in January, would waive his no-trade clause.

However, Soriano's 2011 on-base percentage of .289 does not fit the Red Sox mold.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The ironic thing about a Burnett for Lackey trade is that Burnett set the market value for middle of the rotation starters the season previous to Lackey coming to Boston.  Their contracts are very close in value.  At least the Yanks saw Burnett contribute to a world series while Lackey contributed to a meltdown.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Nobody was more shocked and angry over the Lackey deal than I was, because Roy Halliday was available and Theo blew it by trolling for mediocrity instead of diamonds. When a Pedro Martinez or Roy Halliday is available, you gotta take a shot! Theo was off chasing rainbows and it cost us badly. But like it or not, he's ours and there is literally zero chance of that changing. He'll be better next season, I'm confident closer to 4.25 era than the nightmare he was this season. In fact, due to the horrid season he had this year, I'm going on record and naming him the most improved player for next year. It's amazing how good mediocrity looks when compared to toxic waste.

In Response to Three possible options to trade Lackey?:
    Trading a bad contract for another may or may not work out but heres my opinion.  Trade Lackey for Jambrano or Soriano.  We need a RHH OF and Soriano hits lefties pretty well with a 273 lifetime BA and 817 OPS.  We also need a strong number #4 so Zambrano playing on a team that wins may be just what the doctor ordered. Another possibilty would be to trade Lackey to the Mets along with Lowrie for David Wright and bullpen help.  Wright and Youk could swap between DH and 3B and we could use the Ortiz money towards signing another starter.
    Posted by craze4sox

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Three possible options to trade Lackey? : I suspect the Cubs would do that trade straight-up: three years of Alfonso Soriano at $54 million for three years of John Lackey at $46.25 million. And I suspect Soriano, who turns 36 in January, would waive his no-trade clause. However, Soriano's 2011 on-base percentage of .289 does not fit the Red Sox mold.
    Posted by hill55

Of course not, but does Lackey fit our mold?

Besiades, Soriano does better vs LHPs, and the move might light a fire under him. Besides his career OBP (.323) is not much lower than Crawford's (.333). I'm not sure OBP means as much to Theo as it once did.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Three possible options to trade Lackey? : Wow moon, you're more desperate than I am.  Wanting Lackey and CC gone and willing to take back Bay?
    Posted by craze4sox

To me, Bay is as useless as Lackey and the money is similar. I want Santana for Crawford, and if getting Bay makes it happen, it's worth it to me. Who know, maybe he'll be the next Mikey Lowell circa 2007.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Lespaul says that Theo should be fired for signing Crawford but they should keep Lackey.

Look, you dimwit. I said not offer Lackey more than three years and 30M which meant I didn't want the prima donna. But Theo is such an idiot he might use his sunk cost and write off Lackey's cost instead of sleeping in the bed he made.

Epstein is a baseball idiot who got in the business off of his grandfather and father and Tom Werner. Henry and Luchino need to run him out of town on a rail!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The only way to trade Lackey is by shipping him to Korea for Chan Ho Park. 

Lackey is staying put in Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

We get rid of a cancer and get our RH'd OF bat

You haven't mentioned a Rh OF bat all season! You were a cheerleader for FA massive contract offer to Lackey.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

If Lackey has a 1.5 WAR, we can call that metric flawed. The worst pitcher in the league is not worth 1.5 wins above a replacement.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict a major turnaround for Lackey in the Offseason !! With his Share of the Royalties, from the I like Beer Video, He plans on going to a sport's shrink to get his head on straight!! Next year a Re-Dedicated Lackey will win at Least 18 games* !!

* Of Course I also predicted the Sox would win 103 games last season :(

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

How about we trade Lackey and Kalish and Doubrountand a prospect for big Z and Soriano,we work out any money issues with the Cubs,we trade Youk and Reddick and Buckholz for David Wright and Jo Santana.So Zambrano,Beckett,Santana,Lester,Aceves,,,,,line up,,,Elsbury,Scuturo,Pedroia,Gonzo,Ortiz,Soriano,Wright,Crawford,Salty,,,,PLEASE !!
    Understand,,

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

The Mets are most likely going to lose 1 of their 2 marquee guys in Reyes, so I do not think they have any intention of moving Wright. Also, the idea that they would move their BEST position player in a trade that involves John Lackey is pure fantasy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The foolishness is in selling low and retaining high. Lackey was better towards the end, and will not be any worse than he is now. Nothing to lose by trying to rebuild some value in 2012 and then dealing him if he has a good year.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Lackey had a decent "not great" year in 2010, enough anyway to call him a good #5 where I personally think he belongs because of all the run support he needs.  This seasons performance would have landed John out of the rotation on most tems if he wasn't making so much money.  Whether we keep John, or work out a deal in hopes he improves we still need a strong #4.

I think John could have arm issues that we don't know about and could eventually end up like Dice K.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

I would vote for a fairly major overhaul, starting with the two Texas buds, who seem to feed off each other in trying to see who can choke more in the clutch and create more problems in the dugout. Need to get rid of them both. Bet Crawford's game gets a lot better next year too, with those downers out of the clubhouse.

Sections
Shortcuts