1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mod2. Show Mod2's posts

Re: Post your moderator related comments here

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Hmmmmmmmm..........should we start a thread on who we think the Mods are?  We all throw in $2 and whoever guesses it right gets 85% of the pot.....I keep the rest as a 'handlers fee'. 

Ladies first.  So what do you think 67?

Oh wait.....I'm on ignore...

My guess is................ME. Send me a check.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Mod2's comment:

Hmmmmmmmm..........should we start a thread on who we think the Mods are?  We all throw in $2 and whoever guesses it right gets 85% of the pot.....I keep the rest as a 'handlers fee'. 

Ladies first.  So what do you think 67?

Oh wait.....I'm on ignore...

My guess is................ME. Send me a check.

Well played!!

....I'll get that $1.70 out to you asap. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

If Kimmi really means that she thinks she knows..then I retract everything I said above( except for the part about the bias...I think both you and she make a valid point there).

However, Kimmi stated that she knew..this tells me she is not guessing. As you know..I fully support the idea of the Mods remaining anonymous...except if there is reason to believe they are sharing their identity with certain posters.

I guess we will have to wait for Kimmi to clarify that comment.

Neither mod has disclosed his/her identity to me. 

As far as the bias is concerned, that was directed at Mod2, not Mod1.

How does one remove bias from making decisions? Since we are all human we all have biases based on our past experiences, and unless we become a machine, those biases will necessarily influence our decisions. There is an effort on both of our parts to keep those biases to a minimum, and if you or anyone else can see room for improvement in specific instances, by all means let us know. How do we try to keep the bias down? We are in contact with each other regularly, to start with, and we run situations by each other for another viewpoint. Also, there are two individuals here who are aware of who we are-one is an person I attempted to recruit as a third mod, but who declined, and the other is an individual who wrote an email to Boston.Com nominating us. I also use those two individuals for advice and greatly value their opinions. Even after all that there will be bias and disagreements in the interpretation of the posting policy, and sometimes plain common sense has to be used. We believe that banning an individual is much more severe than blocking an individual post, so while the guidelines are the same for each, they may be applied more liberally in the case of blocking posts. Sometimes its better to stop an discussion before it progresses too far if it seems to be heading in the wrong direction.

On another subject, briefly, I sent an email off the Adrienne and Chris to see when we might expect the formatting issue to be finally resolved. It persists if the edit function is used. The other remaining issue, which also persists, is that the mods can read the PMs on everybody's profile. That too needs to be repaired. While neither of us looks at those, we will not always be the mods either. Finally, I asked if the outside contract mods are assuming a larger role now in an effort to address 67's concerns as to why her post have been recently deleted. When Adrienne and Chris reply I will provide an update here.

One more issue... The stars or some way to locate the last post read in a thread.  Right now the stars appear but only for the threads that I haven't opened at all.  Once I open that thread the star disappears never to be seen again regardless of the posts that have been added since my last reading.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

RedSoxKimmi's comment:  ''IMO, there is some bias and inconsistency as to which posts are getting deleted and which''

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

RedSoxKimmi's comment: Neither mod has disclosed his/her identity to me. 

[/QUOTE]

Hmm I was thinking that I was a victim of mod1 personal bias

but I agree I don't think it's malice as much as it was human nature

miscricket's has me pondering if the mods should remain anonymous

if so many know who they R

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

RedSoxKimmi's comment:  ''IMO, there is some bias and inconsistency as to which posts are getting deleted and which''

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not sure "so many know who they R".  Kimmy's saying that neither mod has disclosed their identity to her means to me that she thinks she knows who they MIGHT be..which is a whole lot different from actually knowing who they are.

Myself I'd prefer that they remain anonymous.  If/When their identities are "exposed" (it sounds like a CIA operation!) everything they say and do will be considered within the knowledge of who they really are and I don't think that's fair to them.  

I say leave 'em alone.  They're doing the right thing and a good job of it.

My opinion FWIW. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I'm not sure "so many know who they R".  Kimmy's saying that neither mod has disclosed their identity to her means to me that she thinks she knows who they MIGHT be..which is a whole lot different from actually knowing who they are.

Myself I'd prefer that they remain anonymous.  If/When their identities are "exposed" (it sounds like a CIA operation!) everything they say and do will be considered within the knowledge of who they really are and I don't think that's fair to them.  

My opinion FWIW. 

I agree with you 100%  

[object HTMLDivElement]

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

How does one remove bias from making decisions? Since we are all human we all have biases based on our past experiences, and unless we become a machine, those biases will necessarily influence our decisions. There is an effort on both of our parts to keep those biases to a minimum, and if you or anyone else can see room for improvement in specific instances, by all means let us know. How do we try to keep the bias down? We are in contact with each other regularly, to start with, and we run situations by each other for another viewpoint. Also, there are two individuals here who are aware of who we are-one is an person I attempted to recruit as a third mod, but who declined, and the other is an individual who wrote an email to Boston.Com nominating us. I also use those two individuals for advice and greatly value their opinions. Even after all that there will be bias and disagreements in the interpretation of the posting policy, and sometimes plain common sense has to be used. We believe that banning an individual is much more severe than blocking an individual post, so while the guidelines are the same for each, they may be applied more liberally in the case of blocking posts. Sometimes its better to stop an discussion before it progresses too far if it seems to be heading in the wrong direction.

As I said in my initial post, I don't think the different standards for different posters is intentional.  That's why I commented about it to begin with.  You (and Mod1) were probably not even aware that you were showing bias against some posters.  But others have said that they see it too, so apparently it exists.

It's difficult to completely remove bias from decisions, I'm sure.  I think you just need to make yourself more conscious of your biases when making a decision, and ask yourself if you would delete a post or ban a poster if that bias did not exist.  Easier said than done.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Well, Mod1 doesn't post much as Mod1.  I wasn't even aware that you had a post deleted by Mod1.

But yeah, I can see that bias existing against you, and again, not intentionally.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to steven11's comment:

Dirtdog:  I like you but you know more about 67 than I do my family.  67 is ok, if she is starting a post which does not interest you, why continue reading.  I like 67 and don't remember her talking about homosexuality.

Miscricket,

I firmly disagree!  If someone has figured out who the mods are, good for them.  WHO CARES!!!!  So long as they tame the wild west of this board, which for the most part, they have.  & done a very good job of it also!  Why open it up to ad hominem attacks on them, thus undermining their needed credibility.  DONE DEAL.  MOVE ON.  WHO CARES.

As to the bias issue?  I do agree that there is some bias.  There is a group of about 5 who routinely FLAME, PROVOKE,  AND RIDICULE Billy and 67.  It is wrong and a double standard to not shut this down, unless of course Billy & 67 continue to inject politics and or religion.  

For the record, I personally find 67's socio-political & religious lectures, interjections, & soliloquies beyond obnoxious!  Her repeated efforts to subtly continue doing so, then play the victim card leaves me hard pressed to    feel remotely sorry for her.  She brings it on herself, and deserves the derision from these posters.  Whem she takes repeated vile shots at the homosexual community, under the auauspices of, "it's not my word, it's God's," then cries to the mods about, "personal ad hominem attacks" against herself, I just have to laugh at her ignorance of the rich irony of her own making.  She is beyond clueless & any modicum of introspection!  Her repeated efforts to play the victim card are so far beyond laughable that I find myself rooting against her.

With that unequivocal personal stance in mind.............  it's equally clear and inexplicable that the mods are continuing to allow constant and unrelenting personal attacks against 67 and Billy.  If it's attacks against Billy's baseball musings, it's fair game to point out just how clueless he is with respect to game or player analysis.  If he subtly injects politics, it's fair to call him out.  If 67 subtly injects her extreme & blindly dogmatic religious & church views, which are SO FAR OUT OF THE NORM for the Catholic Church that 99% of U.S. Catholic would have nothing to do with her, then it's fair to point out how extreme she really is.

HOWEVER......   THE UNPROVOKED ATTACKS AGAINST BILLY & 67 SHOULD BE BROUGHT UNDER CONTROL.  IT IS   A CLEAR DOUBLE STANDARD.  This back and forth argument with the mods is beyond juvenile and obnoxious.  I quite literally feel like I'm listening to FOURTH graders plead their cases to the teacher.  "Why can Johnny do X, Y, &    Z, and I can't?"   

So......  mod2, although you are generally speaking doing a fantastic job, it's time to shut this ridiculous back & forth down.  Put all the kids in their place.  & NO!  LET'S NOT TAKE YOUR MASK OFF!  Who the hell cares if somebody has figured out your identity!  It's important to maintain the general air of independence and authority, in order to keep control of the students.  Who cares if you happen to be friends with one of your student's parents, so long as you do your best to be fair with all the students.  You could improve on the one aforementioned issue, but you are doing a hell of a job otherwords.

Your close and personal friend,  ;)

Dirtdog

Dirt dog and I have a history.  I have him on ignore so as far as I'm concerned he is no longer here.  I enjoy posting with you and will continue to enjoy our forum relationship.

I really do wish the sox would play better so we could have a bit more fun around here

[object HTMLDivElement]

So, you're saying i pretty much nailed it?    ;)

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

If Kimmi really means that she thinks she knows..then I retract everything I said above( except for the part about the bias...I think both you and she make a valid point there).

However, Kimmi stated that she knew..this tells me she is not guessing. As you know..I fully support the idea of the Mods remaining anonymous...except if there is reason to believe they are sharing their identity with certain posters.

I guess we will have to wait for Kimmi to clarify that comment.

Neither mod has disclosed his/her identity to me. 

If the Mods themselves did not disclose their identity to you..then who did? You stated unequivocally that you know who the Mods are. So either this now mysterious 3rd poster who they tried to recruit told you..or the the "person who nominated them". 

I only ask because like other posters have stated along with me...this type of thing creates mistrust and a lack of a level playing field...so I think the air needs to be cleared as to whether you are just guessing or think you know..or you actually know.

My opinion FWIW. 

I agree with you 100%  

[object HTMLDivElement]

I would prefer to remain anonymous as well...and have advocated for them to do so up until this point. But Kimmi's insistence that she knows who they are and therefore why the bias exists has me concerned.

Added to that..there seems to be a changing story here as well. First, we are told that the Mods were recruited by BDC as part of a pilot program to have member-mods. ( personally..I think there was a member mod long before this). Now, we are being told that there is a third poster who "nominated" them to BDC.  Was the board every aware that there was a nominating process? I wasn't.  Finally...we are now expected to believe that BDC also gave the mods the power to approach and recruit a third poster to be a moderator.

This sounds like it's very outside the norm. In most forums such as this , the recruiting would be done by the company.

I don't know...the whole thing sounds like it doesn't quite add up. For now..though...I agree that overall the forum is better moderated. I am not going to beat a dead horse..I just have questions is all.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

1) Who cares who the Mods are?

2) It's a lot better now then when there essentially were no Mods.

3) Bias exhists....it's human nature.  Deal with it as they are doing the best they can...WHICH IS WHY THERE IS TWO!!

4) I really like chicken wings...it's almost an addiction.

5) Can we stop talking about this useless conversation now??  (Unless it's a conversation about chicken wings.....in which case, what is your favorite sauce to go over them and are you a Blue Cheese or Ranch fan with them??.....I'm a spicy Garlic and Ranch guy myself.....or Thai Chile.  If not available than old fashioned buffalo with Blue Cheese is always good).

3) Bias exhists....it's human nature.  Deal with it as they are doing the best they can...WHICH IS WHY THERE IS TWO!!

5) Can we stop talking about this useless conversation now??  (Unless it's a conversation about chicken wings.....in which case, what is your favorite sauce to go over them and are you a Blue Cheese or Ranch fan with them??.....I'm a spicy Garlic and Ranch guy myself.....or Thai Chile.  If not available than old fashioned buffalo with Blue Cheese is always good).

Chicken wings you say??? You haven't lived until you've tried the Saugus Wings from Kowloon. Sweet, garlicky gooey deliciousness.

I never dip wings.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

FYI, FriendsofFrazee has been banned for repeatedly flaming here despite being given fair warning and despite complaints from other posters. When he returns he is welcome only if he can refrain from this kind of behavior.

excellent.  babe only reason to come here is to incite red sox fans. 

while i certainly have had and will continue to have "debate" with some yankees fans that post here (zac/twm) and their slant is obviously pro yankees (as it should be).  they seem to stay within the rules of good natured back and forth.  babe (and mfymfy) to me are different animals in that they will post in a thread simply to put down the sox or the poster rooting for the sox.

question - this has to be like the 4th or 5th moniker that "babe" has been banned under.  at what point does a person become banned permanently?

excellent post.  i agree with 1 & 2 completely.  IMO it is a thankless task for the mods.  i have had a few posts deleted by the mods and while i didnt necessarily agree that they should be deleted, i understood why they did it and left it at that.
      who are they?  i dont know and really havent thought much about it.  if they want to remain anonymous so be it.  who am i to say whether someone should come out of the closet?  honestly i am just glad i am not a mod as im pretty sure we would be down to like a handful of posters not banned.  lol.

as for wings - i like every single kind.  love them all.  but favorite?  hotter the better for me.  melt my face nuclear sauce would be my pick.  definitely blue cheese to dunk 'em in.  i like both the breaded wings and the non-breaded but they have to be cooked WELL DONE (as in almost burnt).

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

My opinion FWIW. 

I agree with you 100%  

[object HTMLDivElement]

I would prefer to remain anonymous as well...and have advocated for them to do so up until this point. But Kimmi's insistence that she knows who they are and therefore why the bias exists has me concerned.

Added to that..there seems to be a changing story here as well. First, we are told that the Mods were recruited by BDC as part of a pilot program to have member-mods. ( personally..I think there was a member mod long before this). Now, we are being told that there is a third poster who "nominated" them to BDC.  Was the board every aware that there was a nominating process? I wasn't.  Finally...we are now expected to believe that BDC also gave the mods the power to approach and recruit a third poster to be a moderator.

This sounds like it's very outside the norm. In most forums such as this , the recruiting would be done by the company.

I don't know...the whole thing sounds like it doesn't quite add up. For now..though...I agree that overall the forum is better moderated. I am not going to beat a dead horse..I just have questions is all.

You bring up some interesting points and yes the whole nomination process is intriguing. I'm not sure we will ever have all the answers.  Since I hold the polar opposite views of most posters here I expect the mods to be biased against me no matter who they are.

On the whole I think are doing a pretty decent job.  I do wish they would crack down on those who attack just to be ugly because I think they take away from the enjoyment of the other posters.  

Thank-you for your support!

[object HTMLDivElement]

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

excellent post.  i agree with 1 & 2 completely.  IMO it is a thankless task for the mods.  i have had a few posts deleted by the mods and while i didnt necessarily agree that they should be deleted, i understood why they did it and left it at that.
      who are they?  i dont know and really havent thought much about it.  if they want to remain anonymous so be it.  who am i to say whether someone should come out of the closet?  honestly i am just glad i am not a mod as im pretty sure we would be down to like a handful of posters not banned.  lol.

as for wings - i like every single kind.  love them all.  but favorite?  hotter the better for me.  melt my face nuclear sauce would be my pick.  definitely blue cheese to dunk 'em in.  i like both the breaded wings and the non-breaded but they have to be cooked WELL DONE (as in almost burnt).

Good call on the 'extra done' wings.  I too ask for them to keep it in the oil for a few minutes extra.  We have this wing joint near us that we frequent.  They have this sauce called 'Chernobyl' (awesome name).  It was so hot my buddy had to go outside, on a cold Maine winter night, take his shirt off and roll around on the cold pavement.  People walked by calling him a 'sloppy drunk' as he yelled in pain.  Poor guy is a recovering alcoholic and hasn't touched a drink in months......

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Mod2. Show Mod2's posts

Good morning....just wanted to give you all a brief update from Adrienne, who, it appears, is now in charge of managing the forum at Boston.Com. The news is: there is nothing new. The problems with the forum I mentioned earlier (the persistence of the formatting issue when the editing button is used and the ability of the mods to see all private messages) is "in the works"; and the instructions to the contract mods has not changed, so posts that were removed here were removed by one of us two. Here is the text of her email response, and yes, it is frustrating that this formatting issue is taking so long to resolve:

Thanks for your concern. Everything you've requested is in the works, and I will let you know if there are any updates.

The contract mods instructions have not changed, as far as I know.

fwiw - i edited a post earlier today and it did not insert empty space.  maybe a fluke or maybe they have begun to address it?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to LarryAnderson1990's comment:

No too difficult to figure out who Mod2 is.

As far as wings are concerned, I used to go to this place in Pennsylvania where they would fry the wings, put them in the buffalo sauce, fry them again and then re-sauce them. They came out awesome but I'm sure it ruined the oil in the fryer. Gotta be well done with blue cheese.

Just as it's not too difficult to figure out who you are, Pike. 

First of all, the moderating company is still in play, so back off of the on site mods. They've made this a beeter place.Secondly, if any of you complaining about the thankless job they agreed to do, maybe you would like to take over, but I warn you, it doesn't pay very well. 

My opinion FWIW. 

I agree with you 100%  

[object HTMLDivElement]

You bring up some interesting points and yes the whole nomination process is intriguing. I'm not sure we will ever have all the answers.  Since I hold the polar opposite views of most posters here I expect the mods to be biased against me no matter who they are.

On the whole I think are doing a pretty decent job.  I do wish they would crack down on those who attack just to be ugly because I think they take away from the enjoyment of the other posters.  

Thank-you for your support!

[object HTMLDivElement]

67, you have a PM.

Sorry Rigatoni, Kingface: you do not.

•  

As far as wings are concerned, I used to go to this place in Pennsylvania where they would fry the wings, put them in the buffalo sauce, fry them again and then re-sauce them. They came out awesome but I'm sure it ruined the oil in the fryer. Gotta be well done with blue cheese.

Welcome back Pike. I sincerely hope you can be a positive influence here and hang around for a while.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Welcome back Pike. I sincerely hope you can be a positive influence here and hang around for a while.

I am not Pike, in fact I couldn't stand him.

Don't quit your day job.

Babe, I knew it would draw you out.  Weren't you banned? 

• Sections
    Shortcuts