Poster of the Year Award

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Poster of the Year Award

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Really, all this poster of the year stuff is a "good filler of time" as we try & stay warm & dream of spring training 2014......  That said, as the 2012 poster of the year (thanks 2004IDIO) I would like to take a minute or two to post my 2014 poster  of the year......  1st of all, "as a group, we have many outstanding posters" that makes coming to this board FUN, and yes we have a few weak links that need to be taken to task from time to time...........  But to me, (B-806) I am thrilled to say that my poster of the year is my DAD as he is the individual that has had sooooo much to do with B-806's baseball experience from the 1950's thru today .......  I will always cherish his words of wisdom for not only the game of baseball but also the "game of life" !!! so I will leave you all with this ......   As DAD would say.......   "SON, this baseball board is a lot of FUN, enjoy it, but never let it get too SERIOUS" !!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Even I'll 'take a Tebow' for that....

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"My understanding of statistics was not as good as 30 Something/Val."

When it comes to understanding and interpreting statistics, there is no one as good as Val, aka Thirty Something.  I wish he would return to these forums.  The man is pure genius.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When it comes to understanding and interpreting statistics, there is no one as good as Val, aka Thirty Something.  I wish he would return to these forums.  The man is pure genius.

[/QUOTE]

He can still be found here during the season.  If you go to the 'Extra Bases' section when a game is going on, and open up the 'Comments', you'll find that it's actually a game thread.  Thirty Something posts there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Val was and is a very asute baseball mind, he's one of many that migrated to another site, when the BDC changed formats more than a decade ago. I didn't know that he reincarnated as 30 something? I do see from time to time a few of the old Dem Yanks crew drop in...CT Chris is another "old timer" who I have found to be very knowledgable, but not nessesarilty a stat head...My question is where did jesseyeric go? He and Jete would get my vote for "the most congenial Yankee fans" I thought jesse brought a lot to the board. 

Funny, but the more I think about and contribute to the poster of the year and the top ten posters threads and read through all of the comments...I have finaly found the answer to the question of why I keep coming back year after year. Because of all of you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He can still be found here during the season.  If you go to the 'Extra Bases' section when a game is going on, and open up the 'Comments', you'll find that it's actually a game thread.  Thirty Something posts there.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bob.  Now that you mention it again, I know that you have told me this before.  :)  I will have to remember to look for him when the season starts. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The thread of the year is my Aceves "most interesting man in the world" thread. Hands down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Val was and is a very asute baseball mind, he's one of many that migrated to another site, when the BDC changed formats more than a decade ago. I didn't know that he reincarnated as 30 something? I do see from time to time a few of the old Dem Yanks crew drop in...CT Chris is another "old timer" who I have found to be very knowledgable, but not nessesarilty a stat head...My question is where did jesseyeric go? He and Jete would get my vote for "the most congenial Yankee fans" I thought jesse brought a lot to the board. 

Funny, but the more I think about and contribute to the poster of the year and the top ten posters threads and read through all of the comments...I have finaly found the answer to the question of why I keep coming back year after year. Because of all of you.

[/QUOTE]

I actually started posting on that other site with Val and some others, and migrated over here.  I agree, CT Chris is another good poster.

I miss Jessey too, and I hope he returns soon. 

As far as Poster of the Year goes, there are far too many posters who are deserving of recognition for their knowledge and their great posts to try pick one, or even narrow it down to a list of 5 or 10. 

For the most part, I enjoy everyone's posts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The thread of the year is my Aceves "most interesting man in the world" thread. Hands down.

[/QUOTE]

That was a very entertaining thread.

I'm kind of particular to Pumpsie's "The Sun has Set on Another Red Sox Season" thread.  I'm impressed that he held out as long as he did.  LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No disrespect intended to Val or to you, but this forum is much more than who understands the statistics the best. Thats only part of enjoying the forum. Some posters do not post statistics at all, and thats fine with me as long as they are civil; some post them rarely; and some are addicted to them, which is also fine. Val was/is certainly one of the best at what he does, but that does not necessarily mean that if he were here he would be on the top 10 list. For my part I think the civility, repect, and tolerance of other posters is more important. Those qualities support the structure of this forum from which the content can flow more easily.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Really, all this poster of the year stuff is a "good filler of time" as we try & stay warm & dream of spring training 2014......  That said, as the 2012 poster of the year (thanks 2004IDIO) I would like to take a minute or two to post my 2014 poster  of the year......  1st of all, "as a group, we have many outstanding posters" that makes coming to this board FUN, and yes we have a few weak links that need to be taken to task from time to time...........  But to me, (B-806) I am thrilled to say that my poster of the year is my DAD as he is the individual that has had sooooo much to do with B-806's baseball experience from the 1950's thru today .......  I will always cherish his words of wisdom for not only the game of baseball but also the "game of life" !!! so I will leave you all with this ......   As DAD would say.......   "SON, this baseball board is a lot of FUN, enjoy it, but never let it get too SERIOUS" !!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Even I'll 'take a Tebow' for that....

[/QUOTE]

Amen to that Bill...it's what the game is really all about. It's not called America's Pastime for nothing. Very well said :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

No disrespect intended to Val or to you, but this forum is much more than who understands the statistics the best. Thats only part of enjoying the forum. Some posters do not post statistics at all, and thats fine with me as long as they are civil; some post them rarely; and some are addicted to them, which is also fine. Val was/is certainly one of the best at what he does, but that does not necessarily mean that if he were here he would be on the top 10 list. For my part I think the civility, repect, and tolerance of other posters is more important. Those qualities support the structure of this forum from which the content can flow more easily.

I agree Pumpsie, stats are a very small part of this forum and VERY misleading at times.  If you know the game, can critique a players ability and articulate yourself well to others it means much more.  I only use stats to prove certain points where some use them as the basis for most of their threads.  For instance, stats like OPS and CERA are two of my favorite to pick on every time they are brought up.  CERA has never been recognized as a valid stat by any of the experts, this is a fact that can easily be researched.  OPS is only as good as how you reasearch it.  A player can rarely get on base but have a great SLG percentage which completely masks the fact he really can't hit, yet it still shows up as a solid OPS which some feel means everything.  I would personally rather have a well balanced SLG and OBP type player in the lineup that actually helps our teams cause.

With that said, I also remember (Thirty Something) and agree he was a very solid contributer.  I always enjoyed reading and discussing his threads, not sure where he went and don't see him on other forums.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said bill.  All our dads should be on that list.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Mayb Exam u should bring that thread back for this year.  More creative possibilities than this dreary drek

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, I never said that this forum is only about who understands the stats the best.  I didn't even say that Val was the best poster.  If you read my reply to Bean, you will see that I think there are far too many good posters on this board to narrow it down to even a list of 10.  You will also see that I said that I enjoy reading pretty much everyone's posts. 

While I love reading the geeks here and at Fangraphs and BP, some of my favorite posters are ones who hardly ever use stats.

That said, I have a real problem when someone says something along the lines of "I don't need stats, I watch the games."   To me, that statement is a cop out and is wrong on so many levels.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thirtysomething was a tremendous poster.  Maybe the only one who provided more info than the also departed fivekatz...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I actually started posting on that other site with Val and some others, and migrated over here.  I agree, CT Chris is another good poster.

As far as Poster of the Year goes, there are far too many posters who are deserving of recognition for their knowledge and their great posts to try pick one, or even narrow it down to a list of 5 or 10. 

[/QUOTE] hey Kimmi and Beans..when Jess first left the board he had some family stuff going on..he did drop in shortly before and after G6 of the WS...like you, i certainly miss Jess..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] hey Kimmi and Beans..when Jess first left the board he had some family stuff going on..he did drop in shortly before and after G6 of the WS...like you, i certainly miss Jess..

[/QUOTE]

He did, jete, before to wish us luck and after, to congratulate us. Miss jess too, and hope he returns, as well. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

fivekatz makes the Forum Legends list .... he is in the Forum HOF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]+10

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]+10

[/QUOTE]

Wow, I completely forgot about fivekatz and probably a few others but I totally agree.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]+10

[/QUOTE]

Wow, I completely forgot about fivekatz and probably a few others but I totally agree.

[/QUOTE]

He wasn't here this season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said bill.  All our dads should be on that list.

[/QUOTE]

Very true, fellas.  I would nevah have made it to Fenway w/o Dad.  He not only took me but often loaded up 5 or 6 of my friends in the old '64 Dodge Monaco wagon.  Back in the day, folks sold their yards as parking spaces for Fenway and my best friend still remembers Dad haggling the price for parking ...

I do not know if forum life would have been a good place for Dad, though.  He was wordy.  (Not like me at all, heh)  For instance, his first draft for his PhD was 2700 pages long.  He was very unhappy with the doctoral team when they told him to edit it and bring it down to a "reasonable length."  So, he presented a 2200 page edited version.  Again, the PhD team said cut it.  He wasn't happy with the request/requirement ... and gave them a 1700 page edition!  His proctors again told him to trim the next 1200 page offering.  And then they did it again when he presented a 900 page version.  At last, Dad stood his ground and told them if he trimmed it any more, the soul and character of the thesis would be lost.  His final edition?  787 pages.

But he sure did love the Sox.  And I treasure the last summer I had with him as we watched the young Pedey - his new favorite player - and the 2007 Sox win the WS again. 

A lifer, Dad.

Thanks!

Sections
Shortcuts