Posters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Posters

It seems to me that many posters are not so much interested in an exchange of opinions as they are in bashing other posters. Why ? Does this improve your standing?  Here are a few of my observations :  Softlaw:  One of the all time best posters on this forum. Obviously likes to be controversial and push people's buttons, but is always interesting and draws many responses to his posts. Bill 806: Outstanding subtle sense of humor that so many miss.  Why does he attract so much dislike ?  Pike: In no way can his attempt to disclose the real life identities of other posters be condoned. But he keeps coming back with innumerable identities after being repeatedly banned.    Commie Contrarian : Any of his posts are sure to be ridiculed by some of the so called serious posters. But he has his own style and makes his own points. Why not make yours without just trying to demean a fellow poster, who is just having some fun?  There are several other examples, but I hope you get the point.  Bottom line: It takes a lot of different people and opinions to make an interesting forum. Don't get all bent out of shape and self righteous by your indignation at other's ideas or opinions. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Posters

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It seems to me that many posters are not so much interested in an exchange of opinions as they are in bashing other posters. Why ? Does this improve your standing?  Here are a few of my observations :  Softlaw:  One of the all time best posters on this forum. Obviously likes to be controversial and push people's buttons, but is always interesting and draws many responses to his posts. Bill 806: Outstanding subtle sense of humor that so many miss.  Why does he attract so much dislike ?  Pike: In no way can his attempt to disclose the real life identities of other posters be condoned. But he keeps coming back with innumerable identities after being repeatedly banned. He makes no attempt at fooling anyone.At his best, he has a good sense of humor. At his worst, he is redundant and boring. But he is always a lightning rod.   Commie Contrarian : Any of his posts are sure to be ridiculed by some of the so called serious posters. But he has his own style and makes his own points. Why not make yours without just trying to demean a fellow poster, who is just having some fun?  There are several other examples, but I hope you get the point.  Bottom line: It takes a lot of different people and opinions to make an interesting forum. Don't get all bent out of shape and self righteous by your indignation at other's ideas or opinions. 

I agree with the main point of your post overall, but I'm confused.

You start out by complaining that too many posters aren't interested in exchanging ideas and would rather bash other posters. Yet then you say that softy is an all-time great poster. He doesn't engage in an exchange of ideas. When he responds to something he disagrees with, the first think he does is bash or insult the poster instead of stating his opinion in a civilized manner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

It seems to me that many posters are not so much interested in an exchange of opinions as they are in bashing other posters. Why ? Does this improve your standing?  Here are a few of my observations :  Softlaw:  One of the all time best posters on this forum. Obviously likes to be controversial and push people's buttons, but is always interesting and draws many responses to his posts. Bill 806: Outstanding subtle sense of humor that so many miss.  Why does he attract so much dislike ?  Pike: In no way can his attempt to disclose the real life identities of other posters be condoned. But he keeps coming back with innumerable identities after being repeatedly banned. He makes no attempt at fooling anyone.At his best, he has a good sense of humor. At his worst, he is redundant and boring. But he is always a lightning rod.   Commie Contrarian : Any of his posts are sure to be ridiculed by some of the so called serious posters. But he has his own style and makes his own points. Why not make yours without just trying to demean a fellow poster, who is just having some fun?  There are several other examples, but I hope you get the point.  Bottom line: It takes a lot of different people and opinions to make an interesting forum. Don't get all bent out of shape and self righteous by your indignation at other's ideas or opinions. 

You start out by complaining that too many posters aren't interested in exchanging ideas and would rather bash other posters. Yet then you say that softy is an all-time great poster. He doesn't engage in an exchange of ideas. When he responds to something he disagrees with, the first think he does is bash or insult the poster instead of stating his opinion in a civilized manner.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. But it is all part of the game. Part of the fun. This is not to be taken too seriously. You don't have to engage with another poster if you don't choose to do so. We can have serious discussions about our favorite ball club, but there is also the entertainment factor. Just like in movies, novels and professional wrestling; it is always more interesting when you have your " good guys " and your " bad guys ."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some poster keeps stalking me and misrepresenting my positions.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

How long have you been imagining this ?  There are three possible solutions, my friend. 1- Just ignore him.  2- Try to develop a thicker skin. 3- Try to have more tolerance for those who do not see things your way.  I hope these suggestions help you.  Rest assured, no one is stalking you. Don't take things so seriously.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My favorite poster is:

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

How long have you been imagining this ?  There are three possible solutions, my friend. 1- Just ignore him.  2- Try to develop a thicker skin. 3- Try to have more tolerance for those who do not see things your way.  I hope these suggestions help you.  Rest assured, no one is stalking you. Don't take things so seriously.

[/QUOTE]

1) softy was not my imagination and neither are you.

2) Thick skin could be cancerous.

3) Tolerance is a word hijacked by the left of which I have been accused of being part of.

4) It's my stalker who is taking things too seriously.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

3) Tolerance is a word hijacked by the left of which I have been accused of being part of.

[/QUOTE]

Moonslav, In all seriousness, it is all in good fun. I am not a stalker.  I am not taking anything here seriously at all. Neither should you or anyone else. If you are taking anything personally , you are mistaken. If you want me to not respond to any of your posts, just tell me. I am not looking to offend anyone. If you don't want me to respond, then I won't.  I thought it was an interesting back and forth, but if you don't want to continue, it is fine with me. I see many examples on this forum of posters being truly obnoxious toward other posters. I don't do that. For some reason, I rub you the wrong way. Honestly, you don't have to put me on ignore. Just tell me to abstain from responding to you , and I will comply.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Softlaw crossed the line too many times.  The forum is better without him.

Pike crossed the line too many times.  The forum is better without him.

They are the only two posters who have deserved to be banned IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Moon after 35,500+ posts you should expect some ridicule.

Let's move on--go to more SeaDogs games.

2004 Idiots took a shot the other day from someone re his "MiL Updates"---some would say a healthy critique. Unfortunately the posts have stopped--I liked the updates but they were too numerous and could have been consolidated; which I think was the criticism.

Speaking of the Minor League posts did anyone watch the three Sox players in the Futures Game? Got any reports on Xman--2 for 3? or  Cecch 1 for 2?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Yeah, I know. But it is all part of the game. Part of the fun. This is not to be taken too seriously. You don't have to engage with another poster if you don't choose to do so. We can have serious discussions about our favorite ball club, but there is also the entertainment factor. Just like in movies, novels and professional wrestling; it is always more interesting when you have your " good guys " and your " bad guys ."

Ok, so it's acceptable to be a DB, as long as it's part of a poster's "shtick".

Got it...

Sign me up for one of the bad guys.

My "shtick" is criticizing posters who constantly predict negative outcomes for the Sox, then spend all day patting themselves on the back, when they think one of their brilliant deductions happens to be correct.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Moon after 35,500+ posts you should expect some ridicule.

Let's move on--go to more SeaDogs games.

2004 Idiots took a shot the other day from someone re his "MiL Updates"---some would say a healthy critique. Unfortunately the posts have stopped--I liked the updates but they were too numerous and could have been consolidated; which I think was the criticism.

Speaking of the Minor League posts did anyone watch the three Sox players in the Futures Game? Got any reports on Xman--2 for 3? or  Cecch 1 for 2?

Saw Ranaudo and Bogey....Bogey looked great. 2 solid hits, one off ranaudo. Also 1 BB. Ranaudo got hit around and didnt look good at all. Not a big deal IMO. Maybe to him, but he had an off day against the best MiL hitter in the game today. Cecchini had a 2RBI double in the 8th inning.

Heres a link for ya Mad...

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/07/cup-of-coffee-bogaerts-cecchini-shine.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Sorry, but I don't "buy into this" at all. 

Much of what's said in the OP makes reasonable (not great, but reasonable) sense in real life, but this is not real life.  In real life the facial expressions of the person one is conversing with tell a lot.  A smirk, a wink, an eye roll, tone of voice, they can all indicate a lack of seriousness in what's said, but those clues aren't available to us here.

This is an internet chat area where things like sarcasm and good-natured jabs don't carry well and readers are left to make their own inferences as to a poster's intent.  That situation is just rife with the potential for miscommunication.  To compond that problem, most of us are competitive types who bristle at a challenge and we feel personally challenged when someone insults us.  Words like, "idiot", mental midget", "bozo", and phrases like "lefty moonbat", all phrases of posters championed in the OP, do nothing to promote the exchange of ideas.

Then there are also those who will say something they specifically don't believe but they know will be inflammatory, just to get a response. There's a word for that.  It's called "Trolling". I certainly won't speak for anyone other than myself (how can I?) but I find that to be disgusting and a sign of a significant personality disorder.  All I ask is that you say what you mean and mean what you say.  Is that unreasonable?

While I would never deny anyone their right to free speech, at the same time, at what point does a person's exercising that right infringe on my "right" to not have to listen to it?   The Ignore button is a failure because when these zzzing contests start both parties find it necessary to use "Reply to post" which reposts the ignored poster's comments. 

At the end of the day the posters who come here and attempt to treat others with respect have no alternatives other than to take a deep breath and mentally ignore the posts they don't like, those posts that are posted by folks without the necessary social skills to carry on a civil conversation.

The OP asks, "Why not make your (point) without just trying to demean a fellow poster, who is just having some fun?"

My response is that it's because my "fellow poster" is having HIS fun at MY expense. 

And for the record, regardless of the way this post appears, I DO have a sense of humor - and a darn good one!  But I also demand respect, both as a human being and as a poster, and that's something that's hard to come by here at times. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sorry, but I don't "buy into this" at all. 

Much of what's said in the OP makes reasonable (not great, but reasonable) sense in real life, but this is not real life.  In real life the facial expressions of the person one is conversing with tell a lot.  A smirk, a wink, an eye roll, tone of voice, they can all indicate a lack of seriousness in what's said, but those clues aren't available to us here.

This is an internet chat area where things like sarcasm and good-natured jabs don't carry well and readers are left to make their own inferences as to a poster's intent.  That situation is just rife with the potential for miscommunication.  To compond that problem, most of us are competitive types who bristle at a challenge and we feel personally challenged when someone insults us.  Words like, "idiot", mental midget", "bozo", and phrases like "lefty moonbat", all phrases of posters championed in the OP, do nothing to promote the exchange of ideas.

Then there are also those who will say something they specifically don't believe but they know will be inflammatory, just to get a response. There's a word for that.  It's called "Trolling". I certainly won't speak for anyone other than myself (how can I?) but I find that to be disgusting and a sign of a significant personality disorder.  All I ask is that you say what you mean and mean what you say.  Is that unreasonable?

While I would never deny anyone their right to free speech, at the same time, at what point does a person's exercising that right infringe on my "right" to not have to listen to it?   The Ignore button is a failure because when these zzzing contests start both parties find it necessary to use "Reply to post" which reposts the ignored poster's comments. 

At the end of the day the posters who come here and attempt to treat others with respect have no alternatives other than to take a deep breath and mentally ignore the posts they don't like, those posts that are posted by folks without the necessary social skills to carry on a civil conversation.

The OP asks, "Why not make your (point) without just trying to demean a fellow poster, who is just having some fun?"

My response is that it's because my "fellow poster" is having HIS fun at MY expense. 

And for the record, regardless of the way this post appears, I DO have a sense of humor - and a darn good one!  But I also demand respect, both as a human being and as a poster, and that's something that's hard to come by here at times. 

[/QUOTE]

sounds reasonable to me 5. By the way, thanks for the info on the blues festival...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

disappointing and difficult to understand

anyone enabling  pike even in the slightest way

what separates pike from the other non desirables is

pike hurts the integrity of the board

when he agrees with himself during a debate with his multi accounts

you can't ignore him like other trolls

while he and one of his pikettes are tag teaming a 3rd poster 

who doesn't realize what's going on an

that there aren't 2 posters against his opinion

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Having " good guys " and " bad guys " creates more interest, controversy and more activity on the board. There is nothing wrong with that.  I agree that there is no need for personal insults.

Stabbed by Foulke.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

[QUOTE]

Having " good guys " and " bad guys " creates more interest, controversy and more activity on the board. There is nothing wrong with that.  I agree that there is no need for personal insults.

Stabbed by Foulke.

I don't think u can have good guys and bad guys and not include insults. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I guess there are different degrees of what some might consider insults. It is pretty apparent when someone goes too far with it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Pike and Softlaw have both been banned multiple times.  That kind of speaks for itself.  And this forum is a lot looser than most of the forums.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Pike and Softlaw have both been banned multiple times.  That kind of speaks for itself.  And this forum is a lot looser than most of the forums.

kinda

kinda not

right buddy :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Put it this way: if you get yourself permanently barred from this place, you really had it coming to you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Put it this way: if you get yourself thrown out of this place, you really had it coming to you.

ouch

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moonslav, In all seriousness, it is all in good fun. I am not a stalker.  I am not taking anything here seriously at all. Neither should you or anyone else. If you are taking anything personally , you are mistaken. If you want me to not respond to any of your posts, just tell me. I am not looking to offend anyone. If you don't want me to respond, then I won't.  I thought it was an interesting back and forth, but if you don't want to continue, it is fine with me. I see many examples on this forum of posters being truly obnoxious toward other posters. I don't do that. For some reason, I rub you the wrong way. Honestly, you don't have to put me on ignore. Just tell me to abstain from responding to you , and I will comply.

I have only put one poster on ignore over all my years here: softy- for about 3 weeks until he changed his moniker. I have never reported anyone for censorship.

I don't mind debating anyone as long as they don't misrepresent my positions, especially after pointing out that they are doing so.

You mistook my position on Ellsbury's injury issue. Even after I clearly showed that I am nothing more than a "litttle concerned" about his health, you kept on bringing up a post of mine taken out of context and not looking at the whole statement.

I'm fine with people disagreeing with me- even vehemently, but when they claim my position means something other than what I said, then I tend to get personal. Go back and read your inital posts about me on the two recent threads. It sounded personal and did not reflect my position. When I mistakenly attributed a position to you that was not yours, I immediately said I was wrong and sorry. You keep sticking to a story that is not true. If you continue doing things like that, then perhaps, I will stop communicating. Otherwise, I'm fine continuing debating different aspects of our favorite team and the players on that team.

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts