Postseason eligibility roster moves/rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Postseason eligibility roster moves/rumors

This team will get to the playoffs. And yes, I’ve been a Red Sox fan long enough to know that anything can happen. Just look back as recently as September, 2011. But I am highly optimistic about this team.

For most, however, after the Bobby Valentine fiasco, getting to the ALCS, win or lose, would be a great accomplishment. In fact with the young prospects ready to take on full time roles next year, things look extremely bright.

However, once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Look at the 2011 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals. Their best regular season pitcher was Chris Carpenter with a 11-9, 3.45 ERA. And remember the 2002 Angeles; the team's greatest asset was its bullpen. They added rookie Francisco Rodriguez in September; he was electric in the ALDS against the Yankees. And they beat the mighty Barry Bond’s Giants.

So this is my best effort at putting together a 25 man roster with the best shot at winning the World Series.

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

C David Ross

DH David Ortiz

IF Brandon Snyder

IF Dustin Pedroia

IF Mike Napoli

IF Xander Bogaerts

IF Stephen Drew

OF Shane Victorino

OF Daniel Nava

OF Jonny Gomes

OF Jacoby Ellsbury

OF Mike Carp

P Brandon Workman

P Koji Uehara

P Junichi Tazawa

P Jake Peavy

P Jon Lester

P John Lackey

P Clay Buchholz

P Allen Webster

P Rubby De La Rosa

P Drake Britton

P Anthony Ranaudo

P Felix Doubront

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Postseason eligibility roster moves/rumors

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

This team will get to the playoffs. And yes, I’ve been a Red Sox fan long enough to know that anything can happen. Just look back as recently as September, 2011. But I am highly optimistic about this team.

For most, however, after the Bobby Valentine fiasco, getting to the ALCS, win or lose, would be a great accomplishment. In fact with the young prospects ready to take on full time roles next year, things look extremely bright.

However, once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Look at the 2011 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals. Their best regular season pitcher was Chris Carpenter with a 11-9, 3.45 ERA. And remember the 2002 Angeles; the team's greatest asset was its bullpen. They added rookie Francisco Rodriguez in September; he was electric in the ALDS against the Yankees. And they beat the mighty Barry Bond’s Giants.

So this is my best effort at putting together a 25 man roster with the best shot at winning the World Series.

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

C David Ross

DH David Ortiz

IF Brandon Snyder - Brock Holt is a true UI and a LHH, snyder is redundant with Bogey

IF Dustin Pedroia

IF Mike Napoli

IF Xander Bogaerts

IF Stephen Drew

OF Shane Victorino

OF Daniel Nava

OF Jonny Gomes

OF Jacoby Ellsbury

OF Mike Carp

P Brandon Workman - He might not be a good option out of the pen. he hasnt looked good there.

P Koji Uehara

P Junichi Tazawa

P Jake Peavy

P Jon Lester

P John Lackey

P Clay Buchholz

P Allen Webster - Dempster wont be replaced with Webster.

P Rubby De La Rosa

P Drake Britton

P Anthony Ranaudo - Breslow, DeLaTorre, or Beato

P Felix Doubront

Replace Snyder with Holt. Snyder is redundant if Xander is on the team as a RHH who only plays 3b/1b. Brock Holt can play 2b/SS/3b and bats LH.

Dempster should also be on the roster as well. I doubt they replace him with the rookie Webster who has 0 playoff experience. Thats where the veterans are good to have. Plus hes worked out of the pen with some success in his career.

Ranaudo will already be at his innings limit by then I believe. Breslow, Beato, DeLaTorre are all ahead of him and have experience and success in the pen. Its also possible Workman doesnt make the playoff roster in the pen. he hasnt looked that good both times they used him there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

C David Ross

DH David Ortiz

IF Brandon Snyder - Brock Holt is a true UI and a LHH, snyder is redundant with Bogey

IF Dustin Pedroia

IF Mike Napoli

IF Xander Bogaerts

IF Stephen Drew

OF Shane Victorino

OF Daniel Nava

OF Jonny Gomes

OF Jacoby Ellsbury

OF Mike Carp

P Brandon Workman - He might not be a good option out of the pen. he hasnt looked good there.

P Koji Uehara

P Junichi Tazawa

P Jake Peavy

P Jon Lester

P John Lackey

P Clay Buchholz

P Allen Webster - Dempster wont be replaced with Webster.

P Rubby De La Rosa

P Drake Britton

P Anthony Ranaudo - Breslow, DeLaTorre, or Beato

P Felix Doubront

Replace Snyder with Holt. Snyder is redundant if Xander is on the team as a RHH who only plays 3b/1b. Brock Holt can play 2b/SS/3b and bats LH.

Dempster should also be on the roster as well. I doubt they replace him with the rookie Webster who has 0 playoff experience. Thats where the veterans are good to have. Plus hes worked out of the pen with some success in his career.

Ranaudo will already be at his innings limit by then I believe. Breslow, Beato, DeLaTorre are all ahead of him and have experience and success in the pen. Its also possible Workman doesnt make the playoff roster in the pen. he hasnt looked that good both times they used him there.

[/QUOTE]

Your analysis is spot on Sp.. Before i even read your reply my thought on 2004idiots roster where pretty much the same as yours.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Agreed.  I would take Hllt over Snyder as well...more flexibility and solid contact hitter.  There is no way Webster or Ranaudo make the post season team.  I'd take Beato, Dempster and Breslow.  I like Workman but a bit inconsistent right now.  Not a Dempster fan....really liked the signing when it happened but that is starting to plummet as of late.....I just do not see him being left off.  He has a lot of BP experience as well.  I'd trust him coming out of the pen before Web, Ran or Work anyday.

(yep....got lazy at the end and didn't want to spell their names out.....but not lazy enough to type this) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

C David Ross

DH David Ortiz

IF Brandon Snyder

IF Dustin Pedroia

IF Mike Napoli

IF Xander Bogaerts

IF Stephen Drew

OF Shane Victorino

OF Daniel Nava

OF Jonny Gomes

OF Jacoby Ellsbury

OF Mike Carp

P Brandon Workman

P Koji Uehara

P Junichi Tazawa

P Jake Peavy

P Jon Lester

P John Lackey

P Clay Buchholz

P Allen Webster

P Rubby De La Rosa

P Drake Britton

P Anthony Ranaudo

P Felix Doubront

I notice you didn't include Thornton, Dumpster and Holt! Any particular reason for the ommissions?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

I'm going with the power pitchers, De La Rosa, Ranaudo, and Webster; they are all capable of reaching the high 90's on the radar gun. And because by playoff time they have played very little in the Major Leagues, hitters in the postseason will have very little idea what to expect from him, a situation that often favors the pitcher.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Holt over Snyder.  Snyder is starting no games in the playoffs and Holt can play multiple positions AND pinch run.  He's not blazing quick but quicker than Snyder and we have very little speed on the bench. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Bogaerts' immense power could force position change

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Agreed.  I would take Hllt over Snyder as well...more flexibility and solid contact hitter.  There is no way Webster or Ranaudo make the post season team.  I'd take Beato, Dempster and Breslow.  I like Workman but a bit inconsistent right now.  Not a Dempster fan....really liked the signing when it happened but that is starting to plummet as of late.....I just do not see him being left off.  He has a lot of BP experience as well.  I'd trust him coming out of the pen before Web, Ran or Work anyday.

(yep....got lazy at the end and didn't want to spell their names out.....but not lazy enough to type this) 

In defense of dempster, hes been dealing with a groin injury most of the season. Hes a pro and wont complain about it but I believe its affecting his performance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

There's a good chance Snyder will be DFA'd before September 1. In order to add Bogaerts, he would have to be added to 40 man.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'm going with the power pitchers, De La Rosa, Ranaudo, and Webster; they are all capable of reaching the high 90's on the radar gun. And because by playoff time they have played very little in the Major Leagues, hitters in the postseason will have very little idea what to expect from him, a situation that often favors the pitcher.

Performance doesnt matter to you, just how fast they can throw?

Webster has displayed no consistency or control and along with Ranaudo, who JUST got promoted, have NEVER worked out of the pen. Its not as easy as you apparently think to make that switch. Some guys cant just throw 15 pitches and be ready to go in. Workman hasnt been able to do it so far. Workman has looked bad both times out of the pen. Some guys just cant make that transition. RDLR, to me, has the makeup and the stuff that would translate perfect as a closer/late inning reliever. Britton has looked sharp too. Besided those 2, Im not sure Id consider any other kids unless Workman proves he can do it.

Besides Koji and taz you have all inexperienced pitchers in there who have little experience pitching out of the pen. Thats not a smart plan IMHO. Breslow and Dempster could really help that pen.

If they cant perform good it makes no difference how fast they throw.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

C David Ross   (Inj? Ryan Lavarnway)

DH David Ortiz (1B in NL park)

IF Dustin Pedroia

IF Mike Napoli

IF Stephen Drew

IF Brock Holt

IF Xander Bogaerts or Brandon Snyder

OF Shane Victorino

OF Daniel Nava

OF Jonny Gomes

OF Jacoby Ellsbury

OF Mike Carp

SP Jake Peavy

SP John Lackey

SP Clay Buchholz

SP Felix Doubront

SP/LR Jon Lester

SP/LR Ryan Dempster

RP Koji Uehara

RP Junichi Tazawa

RP Craig Breslow

RP Drake Britton

RP Matt Thornton (Inj? see below)

RP Brandon Workman or Pedro Beato, Franklin Morales, Alex Wilson, Jose de la Torre, Allen Webster, Steven Wright, Rubby de la Rosa, Clayton Mortensen, Anthony Ranaudo

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia

C David Ross   (Inj? Ryan Lavarnway)

DH David Ortiz (1B in NL park)

IF Dustin Pedroia

IF Mike Napoli

IF Stephen Drew

IF Brock Holt

IF Xander Bogaerts or Brandon Snyder

OF Shane Victorino

OF Daniel Nava

OF Jonny Gomes

OF Jacoby Ellsbury

OF Mike Carp

SP Jake Peavy

SP John Lackey

SP Clay Buchholz

SP Felix Doubront

SP/LR Jon Lester

SP/LR Ryan Dempster

RP Koji Uehara

RP Junichi Tazawa

RP Craig Breslow

RP Drake Britton

RP Joel Thornton (Inj? see below)

RP Brandon Workman or Pedro Beato, Franklin Morales, Alex Wilson, Jose de la Torre, Allen Webster, Steven Wright, Rubby de la Rosa, Clayton Mortensen, Anthony Ranaudo

Sox4ever

you mean Matt Thornton...

Yes, I agree with this 100%. Good mix of vets and young arms in the pen. I think RDLR should 100% be on the roster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Tony Massarotti - 98.5 The Sports Hub, Reporter

"Ok, if this keeps up, I'll have no choice but to fully buy in on the Red Sox. By Monday."   Tony, this team is for real. We're watching October baseball at Fenway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

you mean Matt Thornton...

Yes, thanks. I went back and corrected it.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Chad Finn - Boston Globe, Sportswriter

The Red Sox had five hits against Bruce Chen. Xander Bogaerts had five hits in a doubleheader against Syracuse. Problem, partial solution.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham - Boston Globe, Red Sox Beat Writer

If Clay Buchholz gets healthy, does Opening Day starter Jon Lester start a playoff game for the Red Sox? Legit question right now

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

NESN - Sports News and Updates

Xander Bogaerts Is Red Sox' Best Third Base Option, Should Be Promoted Immediately t.co/TpVAdZNGhS

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Give me Dempster out of the pen Vs. the high velocity youngsters. I saw a kid yesterday at AA Portland, Celestino , he was high 90's throwing darts, the AA opponents made very good contact. I feel RDLR is talented but it's not all about just throwing high heat--show a wrinkle or two to make the heat a more valuable pitch.

As of Aug. 9--Dempster, Breslow, and I would take Morales over Thornton.

PEN:    Ue, Taz, Breslow, Morales, Britton, Dempster and Lester

ROTATION:   Peavy, Lackey, Buch and Doubrount

SURPRISE PLAYERS depending how they finish August:

1. I suggest a runner with top speed that can steal bases, score on a Sac. Fly, be able to bunt and play a position/ Tony Thomas(AAA) or Matty Johnson(AA).

2. A right handed power bat--either XBo or WMB or Michael Young.

AND a "What happened to Mike?" Mike Napoli get's DFA or is waived before the playoffs and Michael Young becomes the everyday RH bat at 1 B. We need to be assured of someone that can make contact. He can also back up at third----Snyder is not the guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Alex Speier on WEEI:

"Brandon Snyder is out of options; he'd be snapped up in a heartbeat."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Christopher Smith  OnMLB                       

Red Sox struggles against lefties has been clear all year. Must add right-handed bat before waiver deadline or Bogaerts/Middlebrooks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Christopher Smith OnMLB       

Xander Bogaerts was 3 for 4 with a double, run and RBI last night for PawSox. He is batting .291/.380/.476/.856 in Triple-A

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Christopher Smith  OnMLB      

In 408 minor league ABs this season, top Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts batting .301/.395/.490/.885 w/ 14 HRs, 62 RBIs, 232Bs, 6 3Bs

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Christopher Smith  OnMLB                      

Red Sox have a .273 batting average as a team but are hitting .250 vs. lefties.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Christopher Smith OnMLB              

Will Middlebrooks went 3 for 5 w/ double, two walks, an RBI and run in PawSox' two games yesterday. Batting .269/.328/.469/.797.