Potential trade targets for Red Sox-Who would you like to see in a Sox uniform?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Potential trade targets for Red Sox-Who would you like to see in a Sox uniform?

From Boston Globe:
    Here's a look at some trade targets whose names could emerge in the next few weeks as a good fit for the Red Sox.

Carlos Beltran, OF

Team: Mets

Profile: The Mets might try to sell Beltran at the deadline if a big enough offer arises, but his $18.5 million salary is a lot to unload. The Sox could use another big-time bat to complement a solid rotation (when healthy), and Beltran fits that bill. He's hitting .283 with a .372 on-base percentage to go along with 13 homers and 57 RBIs. Beltran also has an outstanding postseson history, but hasn't played in one since 2006.

Jeff Francoeur, RF

Team: Royals

Profile: Francoeur is producing almost as much as Carlos Beltran, but his salary is only a fraction of Beltran's. The strong-armed right fielder is hitting .268 with 12 home runs and 55 RBIs, and he's making $2.5 million this season. The Royals are more likely to be sellers at the deadline because they are not close to contending in the AL Central while the Mets are vying for a wild-card spot.

Ryan Ludwick, OF

Team: Padres

Profile: Ludwick falls right in the mix of outfield possibilities, hitting .252 with 11 home runs and 55 RBIs. He has been more successful against lefties than righties this season, making him a good fit to platoon with J.D. Drew in right field. He won't come as cheap as Jeff Francoeur, but could be a viable option. The Padres have been one of the most discussed teams in this year's trade talks.

Jeff Baker, 2B

Team: Cubs

Profile: www.nesn.com/2011/07/theo-epstein-says-red-sox-more-likely-to-be-in-market-for-position-players-as-trade-deadline-nears.html" target="blank">NESN's Peter Gammons reported Tuesday that the Red Sox have looked into Baker, and he fits general manager Theo Epstein's description of a "complementary position player." With experience at first, second, third and the corner outfield positions, Baker offers versatility to go along with his .318 batting average. He's probably not an everyday player, but could be a quality option off the bench for the Red Sox.

Coco Crisp, OF

Team: Athletics

Profile: Red Sox fans wouldn't mind seeing Crisp and his stellar defense return to Fenway Park. He's hitting .263 with 28 RBIs and would make the Red Sox faster (25 stolen bases in 78 games).

Carlos Quentin, OF

Team: White Sox

Profile: Quentin is producing for the White Sox and would fit into the Red Sox mold of sluggers. The White Sox could require a lot in exchange for Quentin (.253, 17 HR, 50 RBIs), and the Red Sox are not in a position to deal a starting pitcher.

Ty Wigginton, Utility

Team: Rockies

Profile: Wigginton has AL East experience with the Rays and Orioles, and offers versatility on defense. He has 20 or more homers in four of his last five seasons and has 13 this season with the Rockies. His contract is attractive, too, as he's signed through 2012 with a team option for 2013.

Jonny Gomes, OF

Team: Reds

Profile: Gomes has drastic splits, hitting .174 against righthanders and .362 against southpaws this season. He has 11 home runs and 31 RBIs this season while playing left field for the Reds this season, but he does have experience in right. He would be a cheap, but solid option for the Red Sox.

Hunter Pence, RF

Team: Astros

Profile: Pence is having a career year and would be tough to pull away from the Astros. Houston is the worst team in baseball, however, and might look to rebuild with a trade centered around Pence. Pence has 10 homers, 59 RBIs and is hitting .328, which ranks second in the National League. He remains a long shot to be dealt, but would be a great upgrade for any team looking for offense.

Ryan Spilborghs, OF

Team: Rockies

Profile: Also mentioned in Peter Gammons's report, Spilborghs presents a righthanded bat with little pop. This season he's hitting .214 with a .299 on-base percentage, but he's a career .274 hitter who would give the Red Sox more outfield experience than Darnell McDonald.

Conor Jackson, Utility

Profile: Stifled by the Oakland Coliseum, Jackson's numbers are down in 2011 (.243, 2 HR, 22 RBIs). He strung together three strong seasons from 2006 to 2008, but injuries plagued him in the following two seasons. Jackson has experience playing both corner outfield positions and first base. He is in the same category as Ryan Spilborghs and Jeff Baker.

Derek Lowe, RHP

Team: Braves

Profile: The former Boston starter is in his third year with the Braves, who have the best pitching staff in baseball (by ERA). With as much pitching depth as the Braves have, Lowe might be expendable. Lowe is 38 years old and still making $15 million annually, which might pose a problem for the Red Sox in dealing for the tall righthander.

Michael Cuddyer, OF

Team: Twins

Profile: The Twins have climbed out of last place and Cuddyer has played a major role in the team's surge. Hitting .296 with 13 homers and 40 RBIs, Cuddyer has stepped up with team leader Joe Mauer out with an injury. A life-long Twin would take a big offer to be traded, but the Red Sox have chips to trade. Cuddyer is a free agent after this season, so the Twins might put him on the market and try to land some prospects instead of losing him outright in the offseason.

Josh Willingham, LF

Profile: Willingham averaged 20 homers over his last five seasons and is on pace to hit that mark this season in Oakland. In his first season in the American League, Willingham has seen his batting average dip to .232 and his strikeout rate increased to a career high. The Athletics will likely be sellers, and, like Conor Jackson, Willingham fits the bill of a righthanded complementary player.

Heath Bell, RHP

Team: Padres

Profile: Bell likely will be the most coveted reliever at this year's trading deadline, and what role he'd play on the Red Sox is an issue, but other than Mariano Rivera, it's hard to find a more consistent closer in baseball than Bell. He is on pace for his third straight 40-save season, and in his contact year with the Padres 10 games out of first place.

Jose Reyes, SS

Team: Mets

Profile: Nabbing Reyes would be a dream come true for Red Sox Nation, but for right now Red Sox fans can keep dreaming. The top NL MVP candidate playing in his contract year was finally healthy this season, already matching last season's stolen base total (30), but the Mets just placed him on the disabled list. It would take a plethora of prospects from the Red Sox to land Reyes, and the Mets have indicated they would be very unlikely to trade him, but the return would be the best shortstop in baseball -- for less than half a season.

Which one would you most like to have on the Red Sox?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Potential trade targets for Red Sox-Who would you like to see in a Sox uniform?

In Response to Potential trade targets for Red Sox-Who would you like to see in a Sox uniform?:

Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

Hunter Pence if Theo can pull it off without killing us.  Like Jacoby he doesn't need to be platooned.  We already have Crawford who can't hit lefties well, we need a guy more like Jacoby who can hit anyone.  If Theo feels Reddick, Kalish or another guy can do that I'm behind him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Potential trade targets for Red Sox-Who would you like to see in a Sox uniform?

If I am not mistaken, Jose Reyes just went on the DL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Easy answer is, assuming he could be obtained, is Hunter Pence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

If you can't get Pence I'd go with Quentin.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Pence, if Theo has enough chips to do it. Kalish, Reddick, and Navarro would all be part of the trade, as Reddick and Kalish would be blocked by Pence, while Navarro is blocked by Iggy (assuming Iggy can learn to hit). However, Iglesias isn't even hitting in Triple A, and while he is only 21, most of us thought that he would be ready next year. Navarro is closer to ready, but Iggy has more potential (although Navarro still has good potential). We cannot trade both of them, but one must go if we wish to trade for a name as big as Pence. Also, Lars Anderson must go, as Gonzo effectively blocks any path to MLB Anderson could take.
     I doubt Theo will trade for Pence, but it would be great if he does.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I like Pence but if the Mets will take JD Drew for Beltran I could live with that type of deal. I'm a sort of gambler and I would rather they take a look at their own farm hands first! Bryce Brentz may not be ready yet but he will pass Reddick and Kalish....Maybe they should give Nava another shot at the job though he's a LF'er.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I can't see the Braves, now 2 1/2 back of the Phillies trading Lowe. Pence may make the most sense. No rhyme intended.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Package Jake and a few B prospects for Kemp. Dodgers are desperate to lose payroll. There is a 50 percent chance Kemp is a Red Sox before next season. 100 percent that he should be here, 1 percent chance Inepstein can get the deal done.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Excuse me, but even if Red Sox Ownership was idiotic enough to trade Ells, MLB would shut down the deal because Selig and his minions don't like fire sales. Kemp probably is better than Ells, but who leads off if we trade Ells? Kemp has the speed to lead off, but he is better off as a middle-of-the-order guy. Crawford has the speed, too, but he has underperformed, doesn't like to lead off, and I can tell that you hate Crawford just as much as Ells. Pedey? Who bats second? Youk? I guess that you could bat Pedey leadoff, Youk second, and Kemp cleanup, but Pedey isn't the best leadoff hitter, and is much more comfortable batting second.
     Honestly, your idea only has 2 problems: You only say this because you hate Ells, and you don't get anbody to replace Drew's production (read: lack of) because Kemp replaces Ells.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Coco Crisp in that group?

Seriously?

Can we choose none of the above?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Outside of injury, I have no interest in attempting to upgrade 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 or 10 (if that's DH?).  All current or recent all-stars.

That leaves:

2:  Saltitek are doing ok, above average batting, weak throwing but the pitching seems ok.  Besides, other than free agents (Carter) how often to top catchers move teams?  Never?  Wait, I know!  Let's trade Lackey and McDonald for the 1971 Johnny Bench!

6:  Our biggest problem, imo.....had Lowrie stayed healthy and batted ok as he has done and caught most every ball within his limited range I'd have been ok...but he didn't.  And Scutaro is a glorified sub.  But again, which top stud shortstop is both available and reasonably priced?  I think renting Reyes for 3 months is very attractive to the Sox....if the Mets don't move him, they get 2 draft picks....as would the Sox after a rental.  Do we have enough prospects to offer, say, 4 prospects for 3 months of Reyes plus 2 draft picks?

9:  Drew is having a terrible season.  But we're still the top run scoring team in the MFL, he still fields and baseruns well, and while unlike 2 & 6 there are probably more options available.....it's just not a crisis.  Frenchy?  For free, sure, but he's not an upgrade.  I'd rather trust that Drew will have a 2nd half OPS closer to his career average of 880 than this half year's 660 than overpay.

It's really about 1, 1, 1, 1, and 1...and a bullpen lefty.  Lester is hurt, Buchholz is hurt, Beckett is amazing but has been hurt a lot in recent years, Matsuzaka is done, Lackey looks hurt/done and has been horrible, Wakes has been a godsend but his health is as unpredicable as his knucker, Miller's had good results but against rubbish teams with good run support and bullpen help.

Forget 2 & 9, we're ok.  SP is priority, then 6 and LR.  And a proper 4th outfielder would be nice.

Does any other team have fewer holes to fill?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

I could see them getting Marlon Byrd. Should be cheap and since we tried to kill him, maybe we owe him a break

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

In Response to Re: Potential trade targets for Red Sox-Who would you like to see in a Sox uniform?:
     Excuse me, but even if Red Sox Ownership was idiotic enough to trade Ells, MLB would shut down the deal because Selig and his minions don't like fire sales. Kemp probably is better than Ells, but who leads off if we trade Ells? Kemp has the speed to lead off, but he is better off as a middle-of-the-order guy. Crawford has the speed, too, but he has underperformed, doesn't like to lead off, and I can tell that you hate Crawford just as much as Ells. Pedey? Who bats second? Youk? I guess that you could bat Pedey leadoff, Youk second, and Kemp cleanup, but Pedey isn't the best leadoff hitter, and is much more comfortable batting second.  Honestly, your idea only has 2 problems: You only say this because you hate Ells, and you don't get anbody to replace Drew's production (read: lack of) because Kemp replaces Ells.
    Posted by WE5NUTS

Crawford is being paid $20 million a year, and the only way to live up to that oversized contract is to lead off and play CF. Since he won't be playing CF, due to his overrated defense, the least he can do is lead-off after Bellsbury is traded. Either he performs at his career norms or he is considered Inepstein's biggest failure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Why would the Braves want to trade Derek Lowe?!? 

I wonder if there is a dumb GM out there who will take John Lackey. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Potential trade targets for Red Sox-Who would you like to see in a Sox uniform?:
    I like Pence but if the Mets will take JD Drew for Beltran I could live with that type of deal. I'm a sort of gambler and I would rather they take a look at their own farm hands first! Bryce Brentz may not be ready yet but he will pass Reddick and Kalish....Maybe they should give Nava another shot at the job though he's a LF'er.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Why would the Mets do that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Why would the Braves want to trade Derek Lowe?!?  I wonder if there is a dumb GM out there who will take John Lackey. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream

Every time I read your posts I picture Stewie talking; great effect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Outside of injury, I have no interest in attempting to upgrade 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 or 10 (if that's DH?).  All current or recent all-stars. That leaves: 2:  Saltitek are doing ok, above average batting, weak throwing but the pitching seems ok.  Besides, other than free agents (Carter) how often to top catchers move teams?  Never?  Wait, I know!  Let's trade Lackey and McDonald for the 1971 Johnny Bench! 6:  Our biggest problem, imo.....had Lowrie stayed healthy and batted ok as he has done and caught most every ball within his limited range I'd have been ok...but he didn't.  And Scutaro is a glorified sub.  But again, which top stud shortstop is both available and reasonably priced?  I think renting Reyes for 3 months is very attractive to the Sox....if the Mets don't move him, they get 2 draft picks....as would the Sox after a rental.  Do we have enough prospects to offer, say, 4 prospects for 3 months of Reyes plus 2 draft picks? 9:  Drew is having a terrible season.  But we're still the top run scoring team in the MFL, he still fields and baseruns well, and while unlike 2 & 6 there are probably more options available.....it's just not a crisis.  Frenchy?  For free, sure, but he's not an upgrade.  I'd rather trust that Drew will have a 2nd half OPS closer to his career average of 880 than this half year's 660 than overpay. It's really about 1, 1, 1, 1, and 1...and a bullpen lefty.  Lester is hurt, Buchholz is hurt, Beckett is amazing but has been hurt a lot in recent years, Matsuzaka is done, Lackey looks hurt/done and has been horrible, Wakes has been a godsend but his health is as unpredicable as his knucker, Miller's had good results but against rubbish teams with good run support and bullpen help. Forget 2 & 9, we're ok.  SP is priority, then 6 and LR.  And a proper 4th outfielder would be nice. Does any other team have fewer holes to fill?
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars

"SP is priority, then 6 and LR.  And a proper 4th outfielder would be nice."

i like this...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Jeff Francoeur is the most realistic fit. He's productive, affordable, and available. I also read somewhere that he's a Red Sox fan, which is a nice bonus. I'd offer some combination of Kyle Weiland, Alex Wilson, Oscar Tejeda, Daniel Nava, a fully-subsidized Bobby Jenks and Lars Anderson for Jeff Francoeur and one of Louis Coleman/Greg Holland/Joakim Soria.

I don't want to trade Kalish or Reddick unless it's for an impact player. I think some combination of the two of them plus Francoeur can platoon in RF next year to replace Drew. The Red Sox don't need All-Stars at every position. Francoeur's OBP is too low to be an everyday guy, unless his defense is so spectacular that it partially compensates for the lack of on-base skills.

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts