Potentially troubling development for the Yankees right-hander:Hughes is not up to speed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Potentially troubling development for the Yankees right-hander:Hughes is not up to speed

Phil Hughes' velocity kept diminishing during his return start last night, a potentially troubling development for the Yankees right-hander in his first start in nearly three months.

Hughes, pitching in the majors for the first time since April 14, came off the disabled list from a dead arm, struggled at times, allowing two runs in five innings in the Yankees' 5-3 loss to the Indians last night.

"I wasn't very sharp," Hughes said of his 87-pitch outing. "Overall it wasn't very good."

Hughes put the Yankees in a 2-0 hole in the first inning, allowing the first three Indians to reach base. He allowed six hits, two walks and two hit-by-pitches. He put 10 men on base in five innings and threw a wild pitch.

SO-SO RETURN: Phil Hughes, who allowed two runs in five innings in his return from the disabled list, gives a perplexed reaction during the first inning of the Yankees' 5-3 loss to the Indians last night in Cleveland.
    Getty Images
    SO-SO RETURN: Phil Hughes, who allowed two runs in five innings in his return from the disabled list, gives a perplexed reaction during the first inning of the Yankees' 5-3 loss to the Indians last night in Cleveland.

More alarmingly, Hughes did not have an overpowering fastball. He threw 40 four-seam fastballs and didn't get a swing and miss on any. Hughes, who came into the night averaging just 89.8 mph on his four-seamer in his three starts before going on the disabled list, averaged 91.5. That's better, but consider Hughes averaged 92.3 mph on it in the first inning, saw it drop to 91.5 by the third and had it at just 90.6 in the fifth.

At that point, Hughes was barely above what he had been before his disabled list stint.

"He was up a lot," manager Joe Girardi said. "And when you're up, you're flat. The velocity remained the same. . . . People will say it's a good outing, but we know he can be better."

Hughes, who had been sidelined by an inflamed shoulder, said he felt fine physically. He did hit 93 mph several times and even in that fifth inning, hit 92.

Nevertheless, Hughes is 0-2 with a 10.57 ERA in his four starts this season and hasn't won a game since last year's ALDS against the Twins.

Hughes is presumably under pressure to perform, especially because the Yankees have Ivan Nova looming in the minors as an easy replacement. Hughes' next start will be post-All-Star break, possibly not until the Rays series beginning July 18.

Hughes said he wasn't concerned about his failure to maintain velocity.

"If anything, I felt like my location was better in the later innings," he said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Potentially troubling development for the Yankees right-hander:Hughes is not up to speed

In Response to Potentially troubling development for the Yankees right-hander:Hughes is not up to speed:
    [QUOTE]By MARK HALE/New York Post Phil Hughes' velocity kept diminishing during his return start last night, a potentially troubling development for the Yankees right-hander in his first start in nearly three months. Hughes, pitching in the majors for the first time since April 14, came off the disabled list from a dead arm, struggled at times, allowing two runs in five innings in the Yankees' 5-3 loss to the Indians last night. "I wasn't very sharp," Hughes said of his 87-pitch outing. "Overall it wasn't very good." Hughes put the Yankees in a 2-0 hole in the first inning, allowing the first three Indians to reach base. He allowed six hits, two walks and two hit-by-pitches. He put 10 men on base in five innings and threw a wild pitch. Getty Images SO-SO RETURN: Phil Hughes, who allowed two runs in five innings in his return from the disabled list, gives a perplexed reaction during the first inning of the Yankees' 5-3 loss to the Indians last night in Cleveland. More alarmingly, Hughes did not have an overpowering fastball. He threw 40 four-seam fastballs and didn't get a swing and miss on any. Hughes, who came into the night averaging just 89.8 mph on his four-seamer in his three starts before going on the disabled list, averaged 91.5. That's better, but consider Hughes averaged 92.3 mph on it in the first inning, saw it drop to 91.5 by the third and had it at just 90.6 in the fifth. At that point, Hughes was barely above what he had been before his disabled list stint. "He was up a lot," manager Joe Girardi said. "And when you're up, you're flat. The velocity remained the same. . . . People will say it's a good outing, but we know he can be better." Hughes, who had been sidelined by an inflamed shoulder, said he felt fine physically. He did hit 93 mph several times and even in that fifth inning, hit 92. Nevertheless, Hughes is 0-2 with a 10.57 ERA in his four starts this season and hasn't won a game since last year's ALDS against the Twins. Hughes is presumably under pressure to perform, especially because the Yankees have Ivan Nova looming in the minors as an easy replacement. Hughes' next start will be post-All-Star break, possibly not until the Rays series beginning July 18. Hughes said he wasn't concerned about his failure to maintain velocity. "If anything, I felt like my location was better in the later innings," he said.
    Posted by Jete02fann[/QUOTE]

Hughes seemed to settle down a bit after the first few innings but my concern "if I were a Yankke fan" would be his velocity which has never really been the same for quite some time.  I think Phil will need to learn to locate his pitches a bit better if he ever intends on being an effective starter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Potentially troubling development for the Yankees right-hander:Hughes is not up to speed

good morning crazy

with all do respect

I think this board would be a better place if we didn't respond to these

threads started by phonies / trolls/ azzes

Jete02fann

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have no concerns - the Yanks survived just fine the first half of the year w/o Hughes. Of course we would like to see him back to form, but those are the breaks if that isn't happening. Injuries and slow recoveries are part of the game and I am not going to lose my mind over them. Besides, it is the Yankee pen that is the bigger concern. Perhaps the Yanks do just fine by putting Hughes in the BP and bring Nova back into the rotation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Potentially troubling development for the Yankees right-hander:Hughes is not up to speed:
    [QUOTE]good morning crazy with all do respect I think this board would be a better place if we didn't respond to these threads started by phonies / trolls/ azzes Jete02fann Posts: 4
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

pinstripe you sound like harness, I hope you have more class that that.  harness enjoys calling people out he feels don't live up to his annoying standards which is why I choose to ignore him.  I havn't done anything to you so you may want to take a good hard look at yourself. 

Hughes has had velocity issues for some time and its just my honest opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

obviously jessyeric disagrees with me 

which is a good thing seeing how

they did the same thing to him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

pinstripe you are sound like harness, I hope you have more class that that. harness enjoys calling people out he feels don't live up to his annoying standards which is why I choose to ignore him. I havn't done anything to you so you may want to take a good hard look at yourself.

dude I wasn't talking about you

I was talking about giving merit to a poster pretending to be some on else

sorry IMO that's just wrong

I even said '' with all do respect ''

Hughes has had velocity issues for some time and its just my honest opinion

I have NP with that statement just the location of it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Zac - I have come to the point where I find it honorable for the knuckleheads to target me.

Craze - Zac was not attacking you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Potentially troubling development for the Yankees right-hander:Hughes is not up to speed:
    [QUOTE]pinstripe you are sound like harness, I hope you have more class that that. harness enjoys calling people out he feels don't live up to his annoying standards which is why I choose to ignore him. I havn't done anything to you so you may want to take a good hard look at yourself. dude I wasn't talking about you I was talking about giving merit to a poster pretending to be some on else sorry IMO that's just wrong I even said '' with all do respect '' Hughes has had velocity issues for some time and its just my honest opinion I have NP with that statement just the location of it
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Ok, sorry if I misunderstood

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I doubt if this will be all that bad for the Yank$. Hughes hasn't contributed anything positive for them so far this season. They have surprisingly done well without him. Maybe they should just send him back down and see if he can get straightened out. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The problem could be similar to our problem with Lackey.  It's not that there are not other better options available - it's how many games are you willing to lose while you evaluate him?  Obviously, the Yankees would prefer to have Hughes in the rotation if he is effective.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]The problem could be similar to our problem with Lackey.  It's not that there are not other better options available - it's how many games are you willing to lose while you evaluate him?  Obviously, the Yankees would prefer to have Hughes in the rotation if he is effective.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I agree. The comparison with the Lackey situation seems to be valid. Two pitchers that are failing miserably.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Yanks find out a ton about themsleves in this upcoming Rays series.  Personally I hope the Yanks crush the Rays, it puts them even further back.  I don't think Yank or Sox fans would complain if either took the wild card while the other the division.

Just not the Rays.   No more cow bells.  No more mohawks.  No more constant remarks about their $5 payroll.  And no more catwalks and AC ducts that are in play, like some sort of sandlot pickup game. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Yanks find out a ton about themsleves in this upcoming Rays series.  Personally I hope the Yanks crush the Rays, it puts them even further back.  I don't think Yank or Sox fans would complain if either took the wild card while the other the division. Just not the Rays.   No more cow bells.  No more mohawks.  No more constant remarks about their $5 payroll.  And no more catwalks and AC ducts that are in play, like some sort of sandlot pickup game. 
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Agreed

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

He did'nt have a clear diagnostic with the loss velosity...well, the proverbial "dead arm" syndrome...