Power Outage Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Power Outage Sox

Corrected a game, this is now correct.

When Sox hits a home run or more: 18-21
    When Sox hits 1 home run only: 11-17, Team had a stretch where when it homered once it lost 11 straight (7 during the 10-game losing streak)
    When Sox hits 2 home runs: 7-3
    When Sox hits 3 home runs: 1-0 (yes, just once all year)

When Sox don't hit a home run: 14-17

When David Ortiz hits a home run: 10-3....now there you go. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Power Outage Sox

Team is 15-9 when Ortiz collects a RBI

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yeah but Nava is about to turn the corner and he does:  LASER SHOW! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Nava, the great singles hitter 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Nava, the great singles hitter 

the entire team hits like derek jeter these days!

i think i recall nava hitting 1 HR and maybe 2 doubles this year.  but hey, get him a firstbaseman's mitt so we can get his bat in there more often.........i'm pretty sure he's another one of those chumps who has more Strikeouts than hits......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I realize he's in a bit of an upswing, but again, when you are sitting in the top 4 of OPS among AL Outfielders last year (mind-boggling still to me), and you see him just look horrendous for 2 months, including a drop to the minors, you realize the real Daniel Nava is not the 2013 version. He is part of the powerless crew. They carry Bradley, Pedroia, Holt, Herrera, Victorino, Carp. Meanwhile, Ross and Napoli and AJ not hitting for power either. It's Ortiz or bust.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

27 Ks, 22 Hits....597 OPS..123 plate appearances...not a good sample size some would argue...I'll thank him for his service in 2013 and the 31-year-old wunderkind can now exit the roster for a guy who can hit for power.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

27 Ks, 22 Hits....597 OPS..123 plate appearances...not a good sample size some would argue...I'll thank him for his service in 2013 and the 31-year-old wunderkind can now exit the roster for a guy who can hit for power.

so I was right...........again...........even I'm getting bored.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I realize he's in a bit of an upswing, but again, when you are sitting in the top 4 of OPS among AL Outfielders last year (mind-boggling still to me), and you see him just look horrendous for 2 months, including a drop to the minors, you realize the real Daniel Nava is not the 2013 version. He is part of the powerless crew. They carry Bradley, Pedroia, Holt, Herrera, Victorino, Carp. Meanwhile, Ross and Napoli and AJ not hitting for power either. It's Ortiz or bust.

O P S huh?  terrible stat.   OK, his OPS was high because he batted 300 and took more than his share of walks.  That's what's driving the OPS, not the SLG so much.  However, his SLG was decent too not because he put up a lot of XBH's but because a good # of his hits were doubles - in other words I don't think he had more than about 400 AB's and therefore even having 25 doubles and 10+ HR's on the year will give you fairly hefty SLG and therefore, OPS....come on, is he really an OPS guy the way Cabrera and Trout are?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I agree. His OBP is what made him what he was last year and is supposedly his strong suit. He drew 3 walks the other night to give him just 11 all year. He has 4 RBI all year, 2 on solo home runs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

2 strikeouts to go with the 3 walks, he got a .600 OBP that game and basically did nothing at the plate. Reached 3 times on a team void of RBI guys. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Nava and Gomes and Holt...that's the OF...and if you had Bradley for Holt, then it looks even sadder offensively.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

O P S huh?  terrible stat.   OK, his OPS was high because he batted 300 and took more than his share of walks.  That's what's driving the OPS, not the SLG so much.  However, his SLG was decent too not because he put up a lot of XBH's but because a good # of his hits were doubles - in other words I don't think he had more than about 400 AB's and therefore even having 25 doubles and 10+ HR's on the year will give you fairly hefty SLG and therefore, OPS....come on, is he really an OPS guy the way Cabrera and Trout are?

Of course not.  But an .800 + OPS like he had last year is way above average.

Trout is a .950 OPS guy and Cabrera is a 1.000 OPS guy...Hall of Famers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

he had a little hot streak last week but we'll see.  I say his time could be over once Carp comes back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Of course not.  But an .800 + OPS like he had last year is way above average.

Trout is a .950 OPS guy and Cabrera is a 1.000 OPS guy...Hall of Famers.

which is why OPS can be deceiving and not all OPS are created alike

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

1975--OF--Lynn, Evans, Yaz...now that's offense

1986 OF--Armas (before he got hurt), Rice, Evans...power
    2004--OF-Manny, Damon, Trot...5 hundred times a better offensive OF than 2014.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Nava and Gomes and Holt...that's the OF...and if you had Bradley for Holt, then it looks even sadder offensively.

Nava, JBJ, and Sizemore is probably the weakest hitting Sox OF I've ever seen.  Makes me miss the days of Troy O'Leary!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

1975--OF--Lynn, Evans, Yaz...now that's offense

1986 OF--Armas (before he got hurt), Rice, Evans...power
    2004--OF-Manny, Damon, Trot...5 hundred times a better offensive OF than 2014.

I'd even take O'Leary, Darren Lewis, and Damon Buford over this group of chumps

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

O'Leary had some pretty good seasons too, far better than this sad lot. Darren Lewis was a travesty offensively, but a great defender. Sounds like Jackie Bradley.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Personally I don't think OPS is deceiving.  A .950 OPS guy is an awesome hitter.  A .750 guy is about average.  A .600 guy stinks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I remember when I used to argue that the LF spot on Sox was designed for a power hitter--Williams, Yaz, Rice, Manny, Bay.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I yearn for Beltre/Youkilis types in the lineup. They used to mash the ball. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I remember when I used to argue that the LF spot on Sox was designed for a power hitter--Williams, Yaz, Rice, Manny, Bay.....

You couldn't go wrong with that argument, when the first 4 guys you named held down the spot for about 65 years...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Personally I don't think OPS is deceiving.  A .950 OPS guy is an awesome hitter.  A .750 guy is about average.  A .600 guy stinks.

It is deceiving because you could have the following 850 OPS guys:

A) OBP of 425 and SLG of 425

B)  OBP of 300 and SLG of 550

C)  OBP of 375 and SLG of 475

if you just look at OPS you see the same hitter.  Clearly you are not looking at all 3 letter "C" guys.  Player A and B have big skews where C is balanced.  OPS is really meant to show a guy who has both high OBP and a high SLG% - like a Cabrera.  Also, we are talking about avarages and in addition to other flaws w/ avg, if you keep your # of PA's low you could have higher averages.......So it's unfair to put Nava on that list. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

As we've discussed, Theo letting Beltre walk was the beginning of the end.

Sections
Shortcuts