Power rankings - All 30 teams

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Power rankings - All 30 teams

From ESPN.com:

Last weekend, I presented the top 10 teams in my personal power rankings. That was before the Blue Jays officially acquired R.A. Dickey, so I updated my top 10 after that trade, and, to spur on more debate, now present the rest of my rankings. Agree or disagree, but I do think this is the most parity we've seen in a long time. It's why the Orioles and A's were able to surprise this past season and why we will undoubtedly see another surprise team in 2013. It's a great time to be a baseball fan. 

1. Nationals 
    Most talented rotation in the majors, deep lineup, depth. Re-signing Adam LaRoche to add another lefty power bat will help. 

2. Reds 
    Superb rotation could be better if the Aroldis Chapman transition works, bullpen is deep enough to absorb his loss and Shin-Soo Choo provides a needed leadoff hitter. 

3. Yankees 
    I think they can stretch things out more season with a deep rotation, excellent bullpen and power. Remember, they had the largest run differential in the American League last season.

4. Tigers 
    Deep rotation, great 1-2 punch with Miggy and Prince, and Torii Hunter and Victor Martinezshould improve the lineup. 

5. Braves 
    Left-handed power, power bullpen and a young team that could improve from last year's 94 wins. 

6. Blue Jays 
    Addition of Dickey adds a needed No. 1 to a rotation that could be dominant if Josh Johnsonand Brandon Morrow remain healthy. 

7. A's 
    Young teams that show big improvement are usually for real, and this team has a solid rotation, a strong outfield and power arms in the bullpen. 

8. Dodgers 
    Have to love the Clayton Kershaw-Zack Greinke combo and an offense with big upside ifMatt Kemp and Adrian Gonzalez come close to 2011 levels. 

9. Rangers 
    I think the rotation is playoff-caliber with Yu DarvishMatt HarrisonDerek HollandAlexi OgandoMartin Perez and Colby Lewis

10. Cardinals 
    Have to replace Kyle Lohse, but they'll score plenty of runs as long as Carlos Beltran (36 years old in April) and Matt Holliday (33 in January) keep producing. 

11. Rays 
    Still some holes in the lineup, and replacingJames Shields' 220-plus innings won't be that easy, but underestimate the Rays at your own risk. 

12. Angels 
    Oddsmaker Bovada.lv has the Angels with the second-best odds to win the World Series (behind the Blue Jays), but I see a rotation with a lot of question marks behindJered Weaver, and Josh Hamilton only replaces Hunter, who was terrific in 2012. 

13. Giants 
    I discussed my issues with the Giants here. I could be wrong, although our friends at Bovada only put the Giants tied for ninth in their World Series odds. 

14. Diamondbacks 
    Their run differential wasn't much different than the Giants last year, and they've addedBrandon McCarthy, infield depth and still have Justin Upton

15. Phillies 
    I want to say we're all underestimating a team that includes Cole HamelsCliff Lee and Roy Halladay, but then I see an outfield of Darin RufBen Revere and Domonic Brown, and an infield defense that includes Michael Young and Ryan Howard and 30-somethings Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley

16. Brewers 
    They can score runs -- most in the National League last season -- and if the bullpen regroups after 2012's gruesome late-inning efforts, this team could surprise. 

17. Red Sox 
    There will be no expectations after the disaster in 2012 (the franchise's worst record since 1965), but I see a big rebound coming. 

18. Royals 
    I'll buy -- but I'm not buying a playoff spot. Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas have to take huge leaps forward ... or the Royals could be headed for another rebuild. 

19. Orioles 
    Last season's 93-win playoff team provided a beautiful ride, but the Orioles haven't added that big bat they need. 

20. Padres 
    Young team is moving in the right direction after winning 76 games in 2012. Can rotation improve to push Pads over .500? 

21. Mariners 
    Mariners have pursued a big bat all offseason but were only able to pick up Kendrys Morales, and he cost them Jason Vargas, opening up a 200-inning hole in the rotation. Looks like 2014 before Mariners can make a push in the tough AL West. 

22. Pirates 
    Still no No. 1 or even No. 2 starter (sorry, A.J. Burnett is a No. 3 at best) and not enough support for Andrew McCutchen. One of these years, Pirates fans, one of these years. 

23. White Sox 
    No A.J. Pierzynski, a declining Paul Konerko, good year/off year Alex Rios due for an off year. Then again, White Sox had a bigger run differential in 2012 than the Tigers. 

24. Cubs 
    Rotation of Edwin JacksonJeff SamardzijaTravis WoodScott Baker and Scott Feldmancould be competitive, but offense won't be. 

25. Mets 
    At least Mets fans can dream of a future rotation that includes Matt HarveyZack Wheeler,Jonathon Niese and Noah Syndergaard. Unfortunately, the 2013 version still includes Frank Francisco and a bunch of fourth outfielders. 

26. Marlins 
    Giancarlo Stanton still makes this team worth watching on a daily basis. 

27. Indians 
    Getting Trevor Bauer in the Choo deal added a much-needed starting pitcher prospect. Unfortunately, much of the rest of rotation remains suspect. 

28. Twins 
    Kevin CorreiaVance WorleyMike Pelfrey ... what, Rich Robertson and Sean Bergman weren't available? 

29. Rockies 
    At least the Twins have a direction as they wait for young position players to reach the majors. I have no clue what the Rockies are doing, intend to do, want to do, wish to do or hope to achieve. 

30. Astros 
    Welcome to the AL West, boys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Power rankings - All 30 teams

In the AL West, I still think that the A's are the team to beat.

The Angels may have gotten Hamilton, but besides Weaver and Wilson, their pitching staff is weak. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, 8 playoff slots and 16 teams ahead of us.

Like I said, we are not "serious" contenders for 2013.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

3. Yankees 
    I think they can stretch things out more season with a deep rotation, excellent bullpen and power. Remember, they had the largest run differential in the American League last season.

Am I missing something? or is the rest of the league really that bad...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yankees third? Thats assinine. An aging, injury prone team that added nothing new over the offseason except a convelescing Mo, who is unlikely to ever be the same as he was.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Yankees third? Thats assinine. An aging, injury prone team that added nothing new over the offseason except a convelescing Mo, who is unlikely to ever be the same as he was.

I've been saying that about Mo every year since he turned 36. I think he's actually a cyborg.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yeah, but this is the first time he shredded his knee and missed almost an entire season. Not a scary rotation in NY either, so look for the pen to get used up a lot more. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

I don't doubt the Yanks will be in the mix. How can anyone rank them higher than the Tigers?

Rotation;

Verlander v Sabathia even

Fister v Kuroda even

Scherzer v Nova adv Tigers

Sanchez v Hughes adv Tigers

Porcello v Petitte even

Line-up

Jackson v Ichiro

Hunter v Jeter

Fielder v Cano

Cabrera v Texiera

Martinez v Granderson

Avilla v Youk

Peralta v Romine

Dirks v Nunez

Infante v Gardner

Backend of Pen

Rondon v Rivera adv Yanks Coke v Logan even bot hare quality lefties...

Benoit v Robertson adv Yanks

End of the day...on paper I thing the Tigers starting pitching is better...the tigers lineup is better and the only thing that I'd rate in the Yanks favor is the pen that's if Mo's still got it...Rondon's stuff is filthy!

Again did I miss something?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I wonder how the Yankees will do in 2013.

They did win 95 games without Rivera.  Also, Pettite, A-Rod, Garner and Tex missed many games. 

Jeter is out, Martin went to the Pirates (I did not see that coming), and Ibanez just signed with the Mariners. 

I think the Yankees will still make the playoffs in 2013.  But then lose in the ALDS. 

Right now, the Yankees are twice as old as the Oakland A's.  LOL

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

Enjoy the Holiday's ahead my good friend.

Hope both our teams compete for the top spot for years to come.

Mine has a lot of catching up to do.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

Enjoy the Holiday's ahead my good friend.

Hope both our teams compete for the top spot for years to come.

Mine has a lot of catching up to do.

You guys should get a room.

pike

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

They did win 95 games without Rivera.  Also, Pettite, A-Rod, Garner and Tex missed many games. 

Jeter is out, Martin went to the Pirates (I did not see that coming), and Ibanez just signed with the Mariners. 

I think the Yankees will still make the playoffs in 2013.  But then lose in the ALDS. 

It's possible they will become younger in 2013 when they come out of camp with Romine as the catcher, his defense is certainly there and Nunez as the DH, both home grown and young.

But that is a long way off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

It's possible they will become younger in 2013 when they come out of camp with Romine as the catcher, his defense is certainly there and Nunez as the DH, both home grown and young.

"become younger in 2013"

That's a given.

Younger players don't cost as much.

Coupon Clipping Hal's plan all along.

Merry,Merry.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

It's funny, a month and a half ago, there were around five Blue Jays fans on earth.

But after the moves that Toronto made, the Blue Jays fans that deserted their team have come back to support them.  LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

"become younger in 2013"

That's a given.

Younger players don't cost as much.

Coupon Clipping Hal's plan all along.

Merry,Merry.

Exactly. Is the plan and why Martin didn't get a long term contract, Sanchez will be up in 2014.

I have no problem with Nunez as the DH, he can hit and run the bases too, he'll back up Jeter.

Romine should have been up in 2012 had it not been for back problems and why he played in the AFL.

Romine should prove to be a good defensive catcher with a good arm but surely won't give the Yankees Martin's 2012 HR production.

Can't keep prospects down forever it's not Guantanamo.

Sections
Shortcuts