Predict the 2013 Red Sox AL East Finish and Playoff Fate (you can amend your prediction after FA season is over)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Predict the 2013 Red Sox AL East Finish and Playoff Fate (you can amend your prediction after FA season is over)

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

They also have 4 starters locked up and only need 1 to compete with a couple in-house options. They can acquire more, but they will be Cook like contracts for depth.

Southpaw, do you really feel confident we can win with those four?  I really think we need a strong leader/#1 guy and one other who is battle tested and made it through big games. 

Lester and Clay having a big year would be a great start but I don't see Lackey, or anyone else getting us through the tough games on a regular basis.  I like our youngsters on the farm but don't have much faith in our present bunch.

I know that this is the four guys we will go with in 2013. I believe JL and CB can win 15 games. I also believe, after a strong finish, Doubie will improve. I think Lackey will start slow, but still can give us 12 wins at the back of the rotation. With Farrell back I think he can and will be a calming stable presence to these guys. They have had 3 pitching coaches in 2 years and its understandable their performance suffered last year with everything that was going on.

It doesnt matter if I trust them because this is what we have. But to answer your question, Im confident we will get good production from Buch, Lester and Doubie. I think Lackey will be better the second half.

Were not going to get an ace, unless we get incredibly lucky. That and BC is NOT going to empty the farm for one arm unless his name is Verlander.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Predict the 2013 Red Sox AL East Finish and Playoff Fate (you can amend your prediction after FA season is over)

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

I predict the Red Sox will finish 2nd in the AL East and get a WC, due to the odds of not having another year with a massive payroll and not making the playoffs at all. 

Predictions are for losers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I predict the Red Sox will finish 2nd in the AL East and get a WC, due to the odds of not having another year with a massive payroll and not making the playoffs at all. 

The Sox need another impact bat, closer and at least two more SP's better than anyone we presently have before they ever see second place again.  When I read stories about their interest in guys like Jason Bay and LaRoche again it certainly doesn't change my opinion.  You also need to factor in all the injuries/missed games guys like Pede, Ells and Papi have had recently that have hurt their game, or our teams chances to succeed.

I will wait a bit before making a prediction of any sort.

Closer?!??!  They have more than one potential closer on the roster including a young guy who had been an elite closer prior to his freak thumb injury going into last season. 

I think you are seriously overrating the closer position.  The Cardinals won it all in 2011 and they went through about 5 closers that year before settling on Motte.  The Giants won it all this year with a closer who had THREE career saves going into the this season. 

If for some reason no one on the Sox roster grabs hold of the closers job, and they are in contention next year, it's not the most difficult position to replace. 

Freak injuries seem to follow this team around.  More often than not these players return from the DL with much less success.  This team has had two recent WC's and the Yanks many others with closers like Pap, Foulke and Mo so I have to disagree finding a good closer isn't very difficult. 

You may get lucky with someone "short term" thats about it.

Who had had a thumb injury and didn't return to be the same? 

How quickly some forget, Youk was never the same since the thumb injury.  Pede, Ells?  Almost all of our freak injuries have an impact.

Can you say with any degree of certainty Youk's decline is due to his thumb injury, which has since healed, as has Bailey's?  I didn't "quickly forget" Ellsbury's thumb injury because he never had one and Pedey played through his thumb injury last year, which certainly affected his performance, but there's no reason to think he won't be fully healthy next year.

Freak injuries certainly "have an impact," but the Sox aren't going to spend money on a closer because Kevin Youkillis hasn't been the same since injuring his thumb, as there is no correlation between Bailey and Youkilis.  Thanks for the enlightenment, though, as I didn't realize freak thumb injuries destroyed so many careers...

pwnd

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Predictions are for losers.

Joe Namath, you trolling loser!

Namath didn't predict, he guaranteed. Do you?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I predict the RS shall win more games than last year.

I am confident in this prediction.

I cannot guarantee this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

1)  Toronto

2)  Tampa

3)  New York

4)  Baltimore

5)  Red Sox

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Being realistic and looking at the Sox as they are right now...anything above 3rd place is wishful thinking.  The season will depend on three things:

1.  Sox FA signings and trades this winter

2.  Solid years from current Sox team...especially SP

3.  Injury bug that has killed this club for the past 4 years...just unreal!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If Toronto stays healthy, then they will earn at least a Wild Card berth.

This team has not made the playoffs since 1993. 

As for the Red Sox, we will have to see what additional moves they make.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

the sox will win more games than the o's ....book it Dano.

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts