Predict the AL East standings for 2013 :)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Predict the AL East standings for 2013 :)

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Looks like Pike was bounced again.

Yup. Best not to mention him though. I'm sure he has 3 or 4 other monikers ready to dust off at a moment's notice.

We should probably start a "guess what the next moniker" shall be. I'm guessing they'll be #s in it again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Looks like Pike was bounced again.

Yup. Best not to mention him though. I'm sure he has 3 or 4 other monikers ready to dust off at a moment's notice.

We should probably start a "guess what the next moniker" shall be. I'm guessing they'll be #s in it again.

I thought I saw him breaking in selenium the other day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Boston--92 Luck has a way. Improved.
    Tampa Bay--88 Didn't improve, but they still win.
    New York--87 Getting old. Didn't improve.
    Toronto--85 Improved. Still don't love their talent.
    Baltimore--77 Luck has a way. Didn't improve.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

Before everyone starts handing the division trophy to Toronto, let's see how they do when they are a favorite and their is a bullseye on their back.

But I do like Alibike's prediction - Boston will win 97 games in 2013 or is that 2004?

Personally, I have zero idea what to make of this division and how 2013 will play out. I don't think there is a clear cut favorite. And I will not be betting on AL East teams until June.

I agree.  I think Toronto is the early favorite, but I don't think they're an overwhelming favorite.  They've improved, but they had a LOT of improving to do.

It's hard to predict how the East is going to play out.  I think the teams are pretty evenly matched for the most part.   Any team that gets things to break the right way as far as staying healthy and maybe finding a diamond in the rough could win the division, save for maybe Baltimore.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Bos ( I'm optimistic)

Tor

TB

Yanks

Balt

I like it, Iceman ....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

Before everyone starts handing the division trophy to Toronto, let's see how they do when they are a favorite and their is a bullseye on their back.

But I do like Alibike's prediction - Boston will win 97 games in 2013 or is that 2004?

Personally, I have zero idea what to make of this division and how 2013 will play out. I don't think there is a clear cut favorite. And I will not be betting on AL East teams until June.

I agree.  I think Toronto is the early favorite, but I don't think they're an overwhelming favorite.  They've improved, but they had a LOT of improving to do.

It's hard to predict how the East is going to play out.  I think the teams are pretty evenly matched for the most part.   Any team that gets things to break the right way as far as staying healthy and maybe finding a diamond in the rough could win the division, save for maybe Baltimore.

definitely, baltimore isn't going to sniff anywhere near the top of the division IMO. they did virtually NOTHING this offseason.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

If all teams remain relatively healthy, I see the Yanks and the rays battling for 1 & 2, blue jays coming in 3rd, while the boys from beantowne and the orioles fighting it out for the cellar.

I'm shocked, shocked I tells ya...

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

New York   92

Tampa       90

Toronto     88

Baltimore  85

Boston       83

Has any division ever had all teams over .500?

The American League West had all seven team finished at .500 or above in 1991:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/1991.shtml

As did the five-team National League East in 2005:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2005.shtml

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If all teams remain relatively healthy, I see the Yanks and the rays battling for 1 & 2, blue jays coming in 3rd, while the boys from beantowne and the orioles fighting it out for the cellar.

About as shocked as for the homers on the RS Side. Baltimore won 93 games last yr; that's 24; repeat that, 24 games better than the RS did last yr, who had their worst yr since 1965. However, I'll think they'll finish ahead of the NYY as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The American League West had all seven team finished at .500 or above in 1991:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/1991.shtml

Perhaps, even more amazing was that only 3 of the 14 AL teams that year finished below .500!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

If I was going to give a truly honest answer it would be this: I have no f'king idea.

That sounds like the best answer yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Before I post I'll say I honestly have no idea how it will play out. No freakin' idea. 

My gut tells me it's going to be a tight year with four teams duking it out and one team falling out of it completely. 

I have remaining concerns about our team but for optimism's sake I am putting them aside and going with very similar to Iceman: 

Bos 

Tor

TB

Yanks

Balt (way out in last place)

I figure the top four teams will each win in their 80s, maybe Yanks in high 70s.....

This is totally a guess and I realize it's not likely to happen but right now I don't have a better idea.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

If I was going to give a truly honest answer it would be this: I have no f'king idea.

That sounds like the best answer yet.

That sounds about right. I think the division is there to be had by anyone, and will probably be won by the team that avoids injuries.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Baltimore 81 - 81

Boston 81 - 81

New York 81 - 81

Tampa 81 - 81

Toronto 81 - 81

After the season, the 5 teams would need to square off in a tournament to determine who goes to the post-season.  This 10 day affair would potentially make the World Series extend to Thanksgiving weekend.

Now wouldn't that be fun?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i dont think Boston can win past .500 with this division...it is that tight...but if the pitchers can do very well, that tightness will leave us in contention....i think the difference between first and last in the AL east is going to be very small

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Predict the AL East standings for 2013 :)m

All the talk about Toronto kind of reminds me of all the best team ever talk before the 2011 season. But they'll always be the Blow Jays to me. Just sayin'...

I totally agree on Toronto,

Boston? 88 and 74, I still see competing for the division with good health. Why? just a hunch because I don't see anyone dominating in our division and we have just enough talent.  With That said I still feel the Tigers will be the team to beat in 2013.  We are still one big bat and SP or two away from being a championship calibar team again.

The Orioles? 87 and 75, they had an amazing year last season and should continue to play well off the but I still think Boston is better even with their patch work lineup.

The Yanks? 86 and 76, Jeter will be interesting to watch coming off the injury and age limitations at SS. Regardless, he will always be one of my favorite players. I think the ARod situation becomes a huge distraction but if the Yanks can get out of his contract and dump some salary before 2014 pickings should be pretty good on the FA market. I would never count these guys out.

Toronto? 83 and 79, with a new manager and inconsistent pitching I still see an average team.  Did they make a few decent moves?  Sure, but I don't see this changing their makeup all that much even if Bautista has a great year. 

Tampa? 80 and 82, I predicted this before and have been dead wrong but I truly believe 2013 is the year the bottom finally falls out of their boat even with Maddons leadership and young talent.  Pitching and close game wins have always been their strength but I think after almost reaching that WC level through a lot of smart draft picks and luck they begin to fall at an alarming rate. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm sure.

Almost as shocked as the homers picking a team that hasn't really improved much (if at all) to go from worst to first.

[/QUOTE]

What shocks me is you picking a team that lost Russel Martin, Nick Swisher, ARod, and Raul Ibanez plus has a pair of aging ballplayers in Jeter and Mo coming off pretty serious injuries manning key positions, and whose only signing of any significance was a Red Sox reject to man the hot corner to finish ahead of a team that added 3 players in their early 30s and a pitcher that averages right around 200 IP per year. (Not really)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I'm sure.

Almost as shocked as the homers picking a team that hasn't really improved much (if at all) to go from worst to first.

What shocks me is you picking a team that lost Russel Martin, Nick Swisher, ARod, and Raul Ibanez plus has a pair of aging ballplayers in Jeter and Mo coming off pretty serious injuries manning key positions, and whose only signing of any significance was a Red Sox reject to man the hot corner to finish ahead of a team that added 3 players in their early 30s and a pitcher that averages right around 200 IP per year. (Not really)

[/QUOTE]

.You're both right; but what else would U expect?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Honestly, I think if Tampa can get even a marginal upgrade at catcher and CF, they can walk away with this.

That is with the disclaimer that, as usual, their entire season will rest on the health of Evan Longoria...

Sections
Shortcuts