Predict the AL East standings for 2013 :)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Predict the AL East standings for 2013 :)

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Yes career, includes Beckett's pre-popeye chicken stats.

Life time record of 4-2 era of 5.66 in Yankee Stadium/s

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=beckejo02&year=Career&t=p

TWM, those numbers for Beckett are regular season only.  If you click on the ballpark it gives you the breakdown by year.

If you add Game 6 of the 2003 WS Beckett gave up 22 ER in 44 IP at YS for an ERA of 4.50. 

Yeah Bob I guess I stand corrected, although baseball reference.com has those listed as career splits, not as just regular season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

TWM, those numbers for Beckett are regular season only.  If you click on the ballpark it gives you the breakdown by year.

If you add Game 6 of the 2003 WS Beckett gave up 22 ER in 44 IP at YS for an ERA of 4.50. 

Regardless, beckett was not quite the Yankee killer that the nation likes to believe he was.

He gained that reputation for what he did in that WS, after that the Yanks hit him pretty good.

The Yankees pounded him silly several times.  OTOH in 2011 he was 4-0 against them with a 1.85 ERA.  Like I say he was an amazingly erratic SOB.  When he was on he was one of the best.  When he was off he was brutal.

[/QUOTE]

In recent times against the Yankees you never knew who you would see, the unhittable Beckett from the 2003 Marlins or the one who had a propensity to give up the long ball at the wrong time.

I could understand why the Sox fans were so frustrated.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The A.L. East will beinteresting for sure. With a clean bill of health this team will be contending for a wild card spot at the least.  That doesn't come without saying there is a good chance we are competing for a top ten pick again. 

Toronto has obviously become the team (on paper) but hasn't proven it on the field yet.  Tampa still has a lt f young talent and Baltimore has all of a sudden become relevant.

I actually think Baltimore is an intriguing case, I believe it's possible Baltimore may actually be a better team in 2013 but their record could be close to identical or worse.  

And of course you can't factor out the Yankees.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

This thread has had a few twists & turns

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Notice how the forum is running a lot smoother without pike.

Anyone else notice that since pike has been banned that kimsaysthis hasn't been around?

Coincidence?

I really don't think they're the same person. Kim is a lot more confrontational than pike. pike seems to come from the Bobby Valentine school of confrontation. That being said, she does seem to have a pretty healthy supply of pike pills.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Beckett ended up with an unspectacular postseason ERA with the Red Sox of 3.88. Decent, but not great. He did not do well against the Yankees, as others have pointed out, and he was too inconsistent to be considered the ace many people thought we were getting from the Marlins...IMO. In addition, he was stubborn and resistant to constructive criticism from his coaches and carried himself with a visible disdain for the fans. I am not sorry to see him gone.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Anyone else notice that since pike has been banned that kimsaysthis hasn't been around?

Coincidence?

I really don't think they're the same person. Kim is a lot more confrontational than pike. pike seems to come from the Bobby Valentine school of confrontation. That being said, she does seem to have a pretty healthy supply of pike pills.

Pike will be back under a different name. Though he could be annoying sometimes, I don't think he deserved to be banned.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Coincidence?

Pike will be back under a different name. Though he could be annoying sometimes, I don't think he deserved to be banned.

There seems to be a lot more baseball discussion going on with out him. And I'm done talking about pike. It seems a little pikish to me. :-)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm not so sure. It seems like every time pike gets banned she disappears as well.

I think it's just another of his personas.

[/QUOTE]

I'm choosing to believe that kim is a different person...mainly for the sake of my own sanity.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Coincidence?

Pike set up another screen name, and followed everyone around telling them how to post, who to respond to, who's an alias of another and hijacking most threads. It gets old. That's not for any poster to say or do. He's looking for attention, even if it's negative. He will be back, but highly doubt he'll heed the warning 

As far as the ALE standings, it will come down to health of key players and pitching, starters and relievers, generally speaking

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Odds to win the 2013 World Series  Odds Arizona Diamondbacks 50/1   Atlanta Braves 12/1   Baltimore Orioles 40/1   Boston Red Sox 28/1   Chicago Cubs 100/1   Chicago White Sox 40/1   Cincinnati Reds 14/1   Cleveland Indians 75/1   Colorado Rockies 100/1   Detroit Tigers9/1   Houston Astros 200/1   Kansas City Royals 50/1   Los Angeles Angels 9/1  Los Angeles Dodgers 8/1   Miami Marlins 100/1   Milwaukee Brewers 35/1  Minnesota Twins 100/1   New York Mets 100/1   New York Yankees 14/1  Oakland Athletics 30/1   Philadelphia Phillies 18/1   Pittsburgh Pirates 50/1  San Diego Padres 75/1   San Francisco Giants 12/1   Seattle Mariners 75/1   St. Louis Cardinals 22/1   Tampa Bay Rays 25/1   Texas Rangers 14/1   Toronto Blue Jays 7/1   Washington Nationals 8/1   Handle (Suspended) 1/1 

I'd give the A's (30:1) a better shot than us (28:1), but they are in a tough division.

The O's at 40:1 is a little high, IMO.

The AL best:

TOR  7:1  

DET  9:1  

LAA 9:1

NYY  14:1  

TEX  14:1

TBR 25:1

BOS  28:1  

A's 30:1

They basically have us at about the middle of the pack in the AL (15 teams now).

5 playoff slots and 6 teams ahead of us and one close. I guess the odds don't seem that long, but the 4th and 5th place teams have 14:1 odds as compared to our 28:1 odds. That's a pretty large differential.

I'd put the odds of winning the AL something like this:

Det 5:1

LAA 5:1

NYY 7:1

TEX  8:1

TBR 10:1

TOR 10:1

OAK 14:1

BOS 16:1

BAL  18:1

(Just off the top of my head.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Odds to win the 2013 World Series  Odds Arizona Diamondbacks 50/1   Atlanta Braves 12/1   Baltimore Orioles 40/1   Boston Red Sox 28/1   Chicago Cubs 100/1   Chicago White Sox 40/1   Cincinnati Reds 14/1   Cleveland Indians 75/1   Colorado Rockies 100/1   Detroit Tigers9/1   Houston Astros 200/1   Kansas City Royals 50/1   Los Angeles Angels 9/1  Los Angeles Dodgers 8/1   Miami Marlins 100/1   Milwaukee Brewers 35/1  Minnesota Twins 100/1   New York Mets 100/1   New York Yankees 14/1  Oakland Athletics 30/1   Philadelphia Phillies 18/1   Pittsburgh Pirates 50/1  San Diego Padres 75/1   San Francisco Giants 12/1   Seattle Mariners 75/1   St. Louis Cardinals 22/1   Tampa Bay Rays 25/1   Texas Rangers 14/1   Toronto Blue Jays 7/1   Washington Nationals 8/1   Handle (Suspended) 1/1 

I'd give the A's (30:1) a better shot than us (28:1), but they are in a tough division.

The AL best:

They basically have us at about the middle of the pack in the AL (15 teams now).

5 playoff slots and 6 teams ahead of us and one close. I guess the odds don't seem that long, but the 4th and 5th place teams have 14:1 odds as compared to our 28:1 odds. That's a pretty large differential.

That seems about right until proven otherwise.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

I think out pitching will far outperform expectations & our bats will carry us through the rough outings.

AL EAST

1st    Boston  (I just have this feeling)  To my astonishment, even Lackey has a decent year. :)  He's a lucky basstred & gets big run support.  Wins 15 games?  Seriously?  Yep :)

2nd  NYY

3rd   TOR

4th   TB

5th   BAL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Angels did upgrade their offense by signing Hamilton.  But their starting rotation is not as solid as it used to be.  Besides Weaver and Wilson, the rest of their starters are average at best.

So in the AL West, I pick the Oakland A's to win the division. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

I think out pitching will far outperform expectations & our bats will carry us through the rough outings.

AL EAST

1st    Boston  (I just have this feeling)  To my astonishment, even Lackey has a decent year. :)  He's a lucky basstred & gets big run support.  Wins 15 games?  Seriously?  Yep :)

2nd  NYY

3rd   TOR

4th   TB

5th   BAL

lackey has only won 15 or more games once in his career despite playing for the Angels, who pretty much dominated their division while he was there.

Now you expect him to win 15 coming off major arm surgery?

Of course I do!  In a different lifetime, I was a huge Lackey basher just like you.  It seems that the RS have decided to give him another go, so I'm simply jumping on board of the Lackey bandwagon before it runs me over.

I'm gonna give BLIND optimism a whirl???  What the heck!  Why not?  What the hell :)  I'd even resign Dice-K for a cool 15 Million / yr.  If Lackey can win 15, Dice-K can nail down 18 for us. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I'm not so sure. It seems like every time pike gets banned she disappears as well.

I think it's just another of his personas.

[/QUOTE]

Although I think they're different people, it;s like the Clark Kent Superman thing in reverse.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to RSdirtdogOR's comment:

AL EAST

2nd  NYY

3rd   TOR

4th   TB

5th   BAL

A bunch of posters had a "feeling" last yr too.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The AL best:

Said the samething further up about Balt. Reputations lag (in life in general), as indicated by optimistic NYY & RS odds It's like the Jeter GG thing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Although I think they're different people, it;s like the Clark Kent Superman thing in reverse.

How do you explain that kim disappears every time pike gets banned?

Mere coincidence?

[/QUOTE]

She disappeared days before he did, when she was getting hammered. No jokes now.

Sections
Shortcuts