Predict Theo's performance as Cubs President of Baseball Operations (edit) or forever hold your bluster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Predict Theo's performance as Cubs President of Baseball Operations (edit) or forever hold your bluster

Here's my criteria for what would constitute a successful tenure as Cubs GM.

1.  The Cubs reach the playoffs at least once within the next three seasons.

2.  The Cubs make at least two playoff appearances within the next five seasons.

3.  The Cubs average 90 wins or above between seasons 3 and 5 (2014 - 2016).

If all of these conditions are met, it's reasonable to suggest he will have upheld his reputation as a great GM.  If not, I'm willing to concede that he's not.

What I'd like to see is Theo bashers and apologists alike stand by their words and be held accountable for them later. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Predict Theo's performance as Cubs GM or forever hold your bluster

Well, if the Cubs leave Chicago, all bets are off.
    Otherwise, it's 25 or 6 to 4...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Within 3 years the then 41 year old GM will have rid himself of every single big contract, and had a couple years of drafts. 

My guess is if there is a FA that makes sense for 2012 or 2013 and the Cubbies can sign them then of course Theo will do it, but he should at all costs not try to buy his way into the play-offs prior to 2014.  By then it will be his team all the way and likely Theo can make the Cubs a contender year in and year out.

I would not bet against Theo and the Cub getting to the WS within 6 years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Given the state of the Cubs right now, I don't think anything positive will happen within the five year time frame.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

The Cubs will win the World Series because of Theo within the next decade.  He will be sought after for the remainder of his career.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

It's impossible to know because there are faaaar too many variables. Will their owners pony up the dough necessary to make a run this year? Next? How is their farm system?  Do you know what they need for pieces.....versus what's available via free agency or trade? Waaaaaaay to early to hazard a guess IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

The Tiggers came from nowhere to WS champs with just the addition of the right manager...

They were bumbling, stumbling nobodies ... and the right guy made all the difference.

That SF 49ers team in FOOTBALL is jumping straight to the top in its  division with the addition of the right coach ...

As messy as things are in Cubbietown, just the right guy and they might just win their first WS in 86 years...

Umm, wait,  I think that is a memory hang over somewhere.   I have to speak to the IT people and see if I can't get that fixed.

Why does it sound so familiar? 

Right GM, right manager ... (almost) a century of frustration comes to an end

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Predict Theo's performance as Cubs GM or forever hold your bluster:
    [QUOTE]It's impossible to know because there are faaaar too many variables.

True, there are a lot of variables, but Theo is in control of enough of them to be held accountable over a span of 5 years, especially when he is given a higher level of responsibility and autonomy and a large budget to work with.

Will their owners pony up the dough necessary to make a run this year? Next?
    How is their farm system?  Do you know what they need for pieces.....versus what's available via free agency or trade? Waaaaaaay to early to hazard a guess IMO.

No, it's not too early when considering the long-run.  That's why I give him at least three years to make an impact.  He should have ample funds to work with in order to accomplish this. 
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Predict Theo's performance as Cubs GM or forever hold your bluster:
    [QUOTE]The Tiggers came from nowhere to WS champs with just the addition of the right manager... They were bumbling, stumbling nobodies ... and the right guy made all the difference. That SF 49ers team in FOOTBALL is jumping straight to the top in its  division with the addition of the right coach ... As messy as things are in Cubbietown, just the right guy and they might just win their first WS in 86 years...    Umm, wait,  I think that is a memory hang over somewhere.   I have to speak to the IT people and see if I can't get that fixed.    Why does it sound so familiar?       Right GM, right manager ... (almost) a century of frustration comes to an end
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Well, SY, Cubs fans probably like your optimism, but I would hold off a little before christening the Cubs champs right away.  Besides, it's still early in the season for the 49ers and they play in the easiest division in football, so that comparison might be a bit premature. 

As George Harrison said, "It's gonna take money...patience and time."

http://youtu.be/-_niy2ZM5Jo

Not one of his better songs, mind you. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Oh good, now the forum will continue to be obsessed with Theo for the next five years. I was hoping that somehow posters would broaden their horizons and be able to think about something else such as the farm system, prospects, baseball drafts, MLB matters, and player statistics. While you are at it why not have a contest predicting how well "Coma" will do after he lands his next managerial job. Put Bosox1941 and Georom in charge of that contest.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]Oh good, now the forum will continue to be obsessed with Theo for the next five years. I was hoping that somehow posters would broaden their horizons and be able to think about something else such as the farm system, prospects, baseball drafts, MLB matters, and player statistics. While you are at it why not have a contest predicting how well "Coma" will do after he lands his next managerial job. Put Bosox1941 and Georom in charge of that contest.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

wet blan·ket

Noun:
    A person who spoils other people's fun by failing to join in with or by disapproving of their activities.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

This too, Eostein might assume a position higher than GM with the Cubs and then hire a GM who reports to him. Read this:

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Theo-Epstein-may-not-be-Cubs-GM-Blog-41372

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

It's reasonable to expect that job one for Epstien will be to evaluate the Cubs infrastruture starting with rookie ball all the way to the major league club and instill the same pylosophy that led to his successes in Boston...He will then make changes nessasary to surround himslef with like thinking management both on the field and in the office. With a strong emphasis on creating a team that is focused on player development...As president he also will more than likely take an agressive approach in helping to enhance the teams resources by expanding the parks seating and exapnd the clubs control over concessions...He'l also worj closely with the owner to implement a plan to increase corporate sponsorships through advertisement...Which is one of the key reasons he as hired...

Rome wasn't built in a day so starting with this years draft, he'll begin to backfill the organization with college players that are closer to the big leagues to address the derth of talant in the upper levels of thier system, similar to what he did in 2003 and 2004 with the Sox. I am certain will also employ the same over slot payment program to lure top talant to sign that would otherwise be headed for college...the good news for him is he also has the luxary of drafting top ten talant based on where the Cubs finished this year and he also has about 50 Million in payroll to play with in 2012 as he rebuilds the major league roster and close to 75M there after...I would think that it'll take him 3 years to build a team capable of competing for the division tittle and thereafter they should be a perenial challenger for the NL Central...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Thank you all who have responded so far.  I challenge some of the Theo bashers to show themselves.  If you do indeed believe he's incompetent, at least have the guts to stand by your beliefs by predicting he won't be successful in Chicago.  I've tried to make the criteria clear and I'm holding myself to it.  You can call me on it later if I'm wrong.  Let's see if you can stand by your words too. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I should have added that any team in the NL can get to the play-offs so we are only focussing on a WS appearance correct?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]I should have added that any team in the NL can get to the play-offs so we are only focussing on a WS appearance correct?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Incorrect.  Read the opening post again.  There might be a pop quiz later. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

okay I understand... I can't see them doing anything until 2014... so I will vote now.

BurritoT:  2, Cubs make play-offs 2 out of 5 years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]okay I understand... I can't see them doing anything until 2014... so I will vote now. BurritoT :  2, Cubs make play-offs 2 out of 5 years.

1.  The Cubs reach the playoffs at least once within the next three seasons.

2.  The Cubs make at least two playoff appearances within the next five seasons.

3.  The Cubs average 90 wins or above between seasons 3 and 5 (2014 - 2016).

If all of these conditions are met, it's reasonable to suggest he will have upheld his reputation as a great GM.  If not, I'm willing to concede that he's not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

[QUOTE]Given the state of the Cubs right now, I don't think anything positive will happen within the five year time frame.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The Cubs are going to learn the hard way the same thing we learned here in Boston---that Theo is incompetent, a charlatan. Thank god he's their problem now. Sing out Boston!! Theo's gone and it's a glorious day!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]okay I understand... I can't see them doing anything until 2014... so I will vote now. BurritoT :  2, Cubs make play-offs 2 out of 5 years.

That's a reasonable assumption. I wonder if Theo bashers will give him nay credit should this come to fruition.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It is reasonable I think... the Brewers are poised to lose Fielder anf the Cardinals may lose Pujols. The Cubs will shed all their big contracts by 2014, except Soriano who will be much easier to move by 2013 (his contract ends after 2014).  It is not a tough division historically.

The one thing Theo must avoid is adding big names for the chance he can buy a seat at the play-offs to soon. He should set his sights on 2014, only signing younger players until then.

I guess I have said this all already - but if I am Theo I am pumped.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I agree that it's a weak division, albeit a large one.  Cincy, Pittsburgh, and the Brewers are in small markets, and at best may crest for a year or two.  Success is difficult for them to sustain.  Houston is in a larger market but seems to be mismanaged.  St. Louis is usually strong, but they may be transitioning after this season. 

There's also a good shot at a wild card as well, especially if it's going to include two teams.  Once the Cubs clean house a bit, they should enjoy a regular run of successful seasons. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Things are shaping up for Houston to move to the AL and another Wild Card team or two added by 2013.... increase of liklihood got the Cubs to go to the play-offs.  Winning just one WS in Chicago will put Theo in the HOF.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Already I want Theo back...and he hasn't even left yet!

Sections
Shortcuts