Predictable Dempster strikes again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Predictable Dempster strikes again

He either gets hit early and often or can't hold any lead we give him.  I don't blame Britton at all for our 13mil mistake.  Wake was as good or better for 11mil less as our fifth starter. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Predictable Dempster strikes again

There are posters here who refuse to criticize anything that Ben does or doesn't do. That is the way it is. Any objective person would admit that Dempster is an overpaid ham and egger.  But we will still hear from the " real fans." They will find some stat to prove otherwise. 

Stabbed by Foulke

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Dempster stinks, andFarrell left him in too long.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

His outings are starting to remind me way too much of Tim Wakefield's in his latter years.  He has a good performance now and then but most of the time you're sweating bullets.  This was a disaster tonight.  6 runs off Sabathia and we're losing.  That is brutal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

His outings are starting to remind me way too much of Tim Wakefield's in his latter years.  He has a good performance now and then but most of the time you're sweating bullets.  This was a disaster tonight.  6 runs off Sabathia and we're losing.  That is brutal.

Brutal , but very predictable. Dempster has nothing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bad managing by Farrell tonight too.  I usually support the manager but I hate seeing us cough up a game where we were all over Sabathia.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Bad managing by Farrell tonight too.  I usually support the manager but I hate seeing us cough up a game where we were all over Sabathia.

And the plunking of A-rod cost them too. What a waste of a game they could have won, still have a chance, albeit slim. Send Dempster to the Dumpster. Would rather see anyone else pitch.....ugly game to give the Yanks

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Fact is, we don't have any RP who are reliable except for Uehara. And our SP? Lester? HAHAHAHA. DUMPSTER: a joke. Doubront: has hit a wall. Peavy? Nope, not really. Lackey has been good, but he can't carry everyone else. Fact is, our pitching stinks, and thats why we aren't going to play October baseball.....AGAIN.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Normally I hate when people criticize the managing but tonight I think you all may be right.  I just don't get it, Farrell had no problem taking Dempster out when he was on his A game and his pitch count was low.  Tonight was the exact opposite, and it was obvious he didn't have his best stuff.....he should have been out the second he gave up the AROD HR.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Normally I hate when people criticize the managing but tonight I think you all may be right.  I just don't get it, Farrell had no problem taking Dempster out when he was on his A game and his pitch count was low.  Tonight was the exact opposite, and it was obvious he didn't have his best stuff.....he should have been out the second he gave up the AROD HR.

I don't usually criticize the manager either.  But this game makes me angry.  Plunking A-Rod then was an incredibly dumb move.  There were other times to do it.  Doing it when it was done risked losing the game, and sure enough it did contribute to the loss.  You can't make dumb moves like that in baseball-the margin of error is too small.

Dempster could have gotten tossed right there and left our bullpen holding the bag.  Plus he's not the guy to be able to back up something like that.  Just a night of costly boneheadedness.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

How foolish do you look when you drill a guy , then he takes you deep?  And , you blow the game? 

Stabbed by Foulke.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

How foolish do you look when you drill a guy , then he takes you deep?  And , you blow the game? 

Stabbed by Foulke.

And on top of everything else he's player of the game. A bush league move by dempster.  The crowd loved it at the time. I yelled at my tv and said what are you doing? 2-0 lead and you put the lead off guy on to prove what? That you're a bigger jack wagon than he is?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

Somehow I don't think dempster was expecting this kind of negative response to hitting arod. He probably thought he'd be looked at as a hero and go down in red sox history as such. What a moron.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

4.77 ERA

We know who sits when Buch returns.

$13.5M on the bench.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

When do we learn?  Dempster is what he is.  You can get five usually respectable innings out of him but when the wheels fall off his wagon they all fall off at the same time. 

Farrell needs to learn to get someone up when Dempster starts the 6th and then pull him after the first hit.

His salary is not my problem.  To use that same phrase again, it is what it is and there's nothing we can do about it.  What needs to be done is that he needs to be managed better.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Look, I hate the Yankees(LA Lakers too) and, yup, we could have won this game because NY did leave alot of men on base.  Putting leadoff hitter on with only a 2 run lead in the 2nd or 3 inning, I forgot, was "biting your nose off to spite your face" by plunking him.

Hey, I am not defending Dempster who gave up 9 hits to CC's 7 but our 4 relievers gave up 8 for a 17 total and the Yankee relievers only gave up 2.

Should we be expected to win getting out hit 17 to 9 ?

Re: Pitching...up to last night's great performance by Lackey, I had no more confidence in anyone over another, Peavy, Dempster, Doubrount & Lester.  Will Bucholtz return to be our bona fide numeo uno...let's hope so !

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agree Farrell was his own worst enemy tonight. Dempster should've never come out for the 6th. Its tough to criticize the manager of this team but his decisions tonight were poor at best.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I am NOT a fan of how Farrell uses his pitchers. leaving Demp in too long. Why take Workman out when hes doing just fine? And dont give me this left on left match up, hes a starter. Would you pull him from a start if a LHH came to the plate? Of course not. He throws 97MPH with a nasty 12-6 and change up.

Im also NOT a fan of when and how Dempster went about plunking A-Rod. He could have put the bullpen in a bad spot right before a road trip. He should have waited til the later innings or when he missed him the 1st time, end it there.

These are my opinions and I stand buy them. It doesnt mean I think Im better or know more than anyone. They are just opinions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Agree Southie re. the use of pitchers. I should feel confident in JF's handling the staff as he is a former pitcher--not always true.

Britton got lit up Fri. then to have Workman, Morales(It was obvious the Yanks would pinch hit Reynolds), then Rubby. I was a little surprised the three rookies pitched in a big game--perhaps JF felt it would be good national exposure and a sign he had confidence in them; it may pay dividends later.

I like the thought of Demp as a 5 Inn pitcher, then have Morales do the 6 & 7, then Taz in the 8th and Ue in the ninth. 

I honestly think Workman may be more valuable in the rotation and Dempster in the pen.

Demp, as has been printed, picked the wrong time---the ump should have tossed Dempster.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Agree Southie re. the use of pitchers. I should feel confident in JF's handling the staff as he is a former pitcher--not always true.

Britton got lit up Fri. then to have Workman, Morales(It was obvious the Yanks would pinch hit Reynolds), then Rubby. I was a little surprised the three rookies pitched in a big game--perhaps JF felt it would be good national exposure and a sign he had confidence in them; it may pay dividends later.

I like the thought of Demp as a 5 Inn pitcher, then have Morales do the 6 & 7, then Taz in the 8th and Ue in the ninth. 

I honestly think Workman may be more valuable in the rotation and Dempster in the pen.

Demp, as has been printed, picked the wrong time---the ump should have tossed Dempster.

Britton hasnt looked sharp his last couple starts, but Farrell gets hooked on one guy and keeps going with him. I thought Workman should have been the 1st one out of the pen 2 batters earlier and let him go at least 2IP depending on the score. He can give you 3-4IP anyway.

Workman had just got a tough LHH in Granderson to bounce out to SS. Why not let him throw to Gardner? Farrell just makes no sense and Im beginning to realize why Francona made those pitching moves he did. It seems it might have been Farrells influence. Farrell needs to have a better balance with good ol' baseball instincts & all the stats and percentages. 

I dont mind Dempster plunking A-Fraud, but he clearly missed his opportunity when he missed him. The unwritten rules say that "you had your shot and blew it". Demp should have been ejected. I was very surprised when the ump just issued a warning. He could have really messed up that bullpen. Farrell keeps him in when hes obviously falling off a cliff, yet takes him out at 88 pitches his last start. people trying to justify that move made me laugh. Ok, justify leaving him in while hes getting rocked for 107 pitches. Once again, Farrells pitching choices make no sense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I am glad Dempster hit ARod but there is a time and a place for that... not the lead-off batter and so early in the game. Dempster should assume he is going to surrender 4 runs a game and without a bigger lead beaning ARod to start the inning was a tactical mistake.

Do you know why he hit him? It had nothing to do with PEDs. It had to do with a public event when Arod snubbed Dempster. That is reason alone for being demoted to the bullpen

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

[QUOTE]

I am glad Dempster hit ARod but there is a time and a place for that... not the lead-off batter and so early in the game. Dempster should assume he is going to surrender 4 runs a game and without a bigger lead beaning ARod to start the inning was a tactical mistake.

Do you know why he hit him? It had nothing to do with PEDs. It had to do with a public event when Arod snubbed Dempster. That is reason alone for being demoted to the bullpen

[/QUOTE]

didnt hear about that ADG. you got a link about it? Id like to read about that. If it was personal, then yes, Workman or someone else should take his starts.

Sections
Shortcuts