Predictable Dempster strikes again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

Re: Predictable Dempster strikes again

Hitting A Rod leading off an inning with a 2-0 lead = brainless, bonehead decision. Really putting the good of the team first. Please, NOT in a big game in the middle of a pennant race.

Some thoughts on 3 recent Red Sox games :

Peavey's second start vs KC. In fifth inning, Royals start hitting Peavey hard, pitch count up to 90. I tell myself '' Peavey's out for sure''. Nope, next inning manager leaves him in. KC scores 6, Sox lose game. Humm, maybe a lesson to be learned ...

Peavey's next start vs Toronto. After 6 innings, Peavey's pitch count up to 90. Sox leading 1-0. I tell myself ''Great ime to take Peavey out. High pitch count, Bautista and Encarnacion coming up''. Nope, manager leaves him in. Whaddaya know, next inning, Peavey rocked for 3 straight hits. Sox lose game 2-1. Hello, anybody home??????

Dempster's start lasty night. After 5 innings, pitch count high. Sox leading 6-3. I tell myself '' He'll SURELY take Dempster out'' Nope, manager leaves Dempster in. Next inning, Yanks score a bundle and Sox lose game. Houston, we have a problem.

I watched these 3 games and in each one couldn't believe manager wouldn't bring in relief at the right time. Saving the bullpen? Bullsh_t. The relievers have to come in in the middle of a mess and end up getting the same number of outs and pitches anyways.   

The Sox should have won these 3 games. They should be 4 games up instead of 1.

I thought FranCOMA was bad, but this REALLY sucks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to den666's comment:

Hitting A Rod leading off an inning with a 2-0 lead = brainless, bonehead decision. Really putting the good of the team first. Please, NOT in a big game in the middle of a pennant race.

Some thoughts on 3 recent Red Sox games :

Peavey's second start vs KC. In fifth inning, Royals start hitting Peavey hard, pitch count up to 90. I tell myself '' Peavey's out for sure''. Nope, next inning manager leaves him in. KC scores 6, Sox lose game. Humm, maybe a lesson to be learned ...

Peavey's next start vs Toronto. After 6 innings, Peavey's pitch count up to 90. Sox leading 1-0. I tell myself ''Great ime to take Peavey out. High pitch count, Bautista and Encarnacion coming up''. Nope, manager leaves him in. Whaddaya know, next inning, Peavey rocked for 3 straight hits. Sox lose game 2-1. Hello, anybody home??????

Dempster's start lasty night. After 5 innings, pitch count high. Sox leading 6-3. I tell myself '' He'll SURELY take Dempster out'' Nope, manager leaves Dempster in. Next inning, Yanks score a bundle and Sox lose game. Houston, we have a problem.

I watched these 3 games and in each one couldn't believe manager wouldn't bring in relief at the right time. Saving the bullpen? Bullsh_t. The relievers have to come in in the middle of a mess and end up getting the same number of outs and pitches anyways.   

The Sox should have won these 3 games. They should be 4 games up instead of 1.

I thought FranCOMA was bad, but this REALLY sucks.

Dont forget about taking Dempster out with only 88 pitches and just mowing guys down all game. Farrells moves make no sense whatsoever. Another one is talking Workman out because a LHH is coming up. He just retired a tough LHH in Granderson and was looking good. Workman is a starter and theres no need to go with a lefty lefty matchup with him. He might be a great potching coach and helping these guys out mechanically, but I seriously question the moves he makes with his starters and relievers.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

8 career games against Yankees, Yanks are hitting .335 179 AB's with 60 hits. I would never start him against them. 7.57 era, just asking for it.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Your right , then again, 2011, 0-1, 5.06 era, 2012 0-1, 12.00 era, 2013, 0-2, 7.47 era, against Yanks.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

As S5 wrote. Dempster has generally been decent for 5 innings (note I said decent, not Cy Young like).  Anytime he gets over 75 pitches, it becomes a crapshoot as far as how much more you will get out of him, and when he does lose it, it goes fast.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sox are averaging 5.70 runs in games this year he started. WOW.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Pulling  Dempster after 3 made sense, not starting him made zero sense. Would some of u rather have had Webster?

In retrospect, ala a Monday morning quarterback, we'd been better off if the Ump had tossed Dempster out !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Pulling  Dempster after 3 made sense, not starting him made zero sense. Would some of u rather have had Webster?

In retrospect, ala a Monday morning quarterback, we'd been better off if the Ump had tossed Dempster out !!!

Right, because having your bullpen work 8 innings as always a good thing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's funny to see this many posts about the pitching, but absolutely zero posts about what the Sox did with RISP.  Or does that not matter anymore?

Dempster is predictable.  Did anyone out there really think he was going to shut down that NYY lineup? 

The Sox had the chance to plate runs nearly every inning, and blew it.  Had they come back to win, or even tie, this thread wouldn't have been started today.  

Sox' offense, in "the clutch", is far worse than its pitching.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

As S5 wrote. Dempster has generally been decent for 5 innings (note I said decent, not Cy Young like).  Anytime he gets over 75 pitches, it becomes a crapshoot as far as how much more you will get out of him, and when he does lose it, it goes fast.

It certainly seems that way, bu8t the numbers tell another story:

Dempster Pitch Count OPS:

.847  1-25

.787  26-50

.789  51-75

.753  76-100

.587  100+

Dempsters best inning's OPS?

.410  7th'

.743  3rd

.766  1st

.777 6th

.778  5th

.829  8th

.832  2nd

.875  4th

Innings grouped:

7-9  .495

1-3  .782

4-6  .816

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Hitting A-Rod was dumb. But it would not have been such a hot topic if Dempster had backed it up with a strong pitching performance. He did not. The real problem is not drilling that skunk. The real problem is that 4.77 ERA. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Sections
Shortcuts