Predictions about the "fit" of our new catcher ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Predictions about the "fit" of our new catcher ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3657165

How do folks here feel he'll be received once he's on our side?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Predictions about the

He will immediately be well liked by his teammates! He only cares about winning championships and he'll hit better than Salty did in Fenway, I believe his lifetime BA in Fenway is .322...As for his receiving skills, he won't even come close to the number of passed balls that salty allowed, that would include the number of alleged WP's that they called on the pitchers that were really passed balls.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He will immediately be well liked by his teammates! He only cares about winning championships and he'll hit better than Salty did in Fenway, I believe his lifetime BA in Fenway is .322...As for his reciving skills he won't even come close to the number of passed balls that salty allowed, that would include the number of alleged WP's that they called on the pitchers that were really passed balls.

[/QUOTE]

nice of you to display your name and your opinion regarding Salty v AJ

I guess S SDrew and his 1/2 season disappearing act which included the playoffs is worth more than Salty to Ben, who was one of the most dependible and productible catchers in MLB...and oh yea he was actually a great teammate - unlike AJ who was voted the biggest horsest azz in MLB...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

rather have salty @ 3/21 than AJP for any contract.

from what i read, AJP is better defensively but is not a fit at all with this team in terms of offensive ability. He only drew four -4- walks all season in 2013. his P/PA was also bottom of the barrell.

The sox offense was so great last season because everyone 1-9 worked the counts. we had 10 (if you count Iggy) qualified players in the top 100 in P/PA (Napoli was #1). With an offensive philosophy like that you are only as strong as your weakest link and AJP is soggy bread in that category.

Not only is Salty much better than AJP, but he is younger, entering his prime and signed to an affordable deal that can EASILY be moved in a year or two if a catching prospect emerges.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He can't grow a beard.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Very, very WELL  !!!!  And will be more productive with glove, arm, & bat .....  A leader too !!!

[/QUOTE]

I think he will do as well or better than Salty.  I actually like the two veterans back there and hope AJ is a great fit in the clubhouse as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

He will immediately be well liked by his teammates! He only cares about winning championships and he'll hit better than Salty did in Fenway, I believe his lifetime BA in Fenway is .322...As for his reciving skills he won't even come close to the number of passed balls that salty allowed, that would include the number of alleged WP's that they called on the pitchers that were really passed balls.

[/QUOTE]

Might have to duck tape his mouth. Glad it's only one year..... Maybe he'll get hurt.

'll

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Very, very WELL  !!!!  And will be more productive with glove, arm, & bat .....  A leader too !!!

[/QUOTE]
    More productive with bat? Really bill?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

from what i read, AJP is better defensively but is not a fit at all with this team in terms of offensive ability. He only drew four -4- walks all season in 2013. his P/PA was also bottom of the barrell.

The sox offense was so great last season because everyone 1-9 worked the counts. we had 10 (if you count Iggy) qualified players in the top 100 in P/PA (Napoli was #1). With an offensive philosophy like that you are only as strong as your weakest link and AJP is soggy bread in that category.

Not only is Salty much better than AJP, but he is younger, entering his prime and signed to an affordable deal that can EASILY be moved in a year or two if a catching prospect emerges.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 110%. I also do think you need to add his personality into this equation too. I mean yeah the guy wants to win and does it at all costs. But he doesn't exactly seem like the fun lovable laid back type.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think A.J . is the kind of outgoing, somewhat flaky guy who will get along well with some of the characters on this team.  As for Salty, I feel pretty sure that he wanted to stay, but the team did not really want him. That is a good counterpoint to the thread about how players should have " loyalty" to the organization. So, the players should have loyalty to the organization, but the organization need not have any loyalty to the players who contributed to the success of the organization?  Very interesting. Bottom line:  Baseball is a business. It is a business for all who are a part of it. Posters come on here wanting players to be traded, released and DFAed. Then they say that players should be " loyal."  Too funny. Hypocritical, but funny. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think A.J . is the kind of outgoing, somewhat flaky guy who will get along well with some of the characters on this team.  As for Salty, I feel pretty sure that he wanted to stay, but the team did not really want him. That is a good counterpoint to the thread about how players should have " loyalty" to the organization. So, the players should have loyalty to the organization, but the organization need not have any loyalty to the players who contributed to the success of the organization?  Very interesting. Bottom line:  Baseball is a business. It is a business for all who are a part of it. Posters come on here wanting players to be traded, released and DFAed. Then they say that players should be " loyal."  Too funny. Hypocritical, but funny. 

[/QUOTE] Great we have two kids who can play the position better than Salty ever dreamed of doing so we should sign him for more than he's worth and throw in an extra year to boot! Salty turned down 2@9mil per! 18mil total, he chose to take a deal for less money and more years how can this be misconstrued into management being the blame! Fact is they tried too sign him and he left.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    More productive with bat? Really bill?

[/QUOTE]

Aj has a higher career OPS than Salty. It isn't at all odd to think he will have a better season with the bat.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

He will immediately be well liked by his teammates! He only cares about winning championships and he'll hit better than Salty did in Fenway, I believe his lifetime BA in Fenway is .322...As for his receiving skills, he won't even come close to the number of passed balls that salty allowed, that would include the number of alleged WP's that they called on the pitchers that were really passed balls.

[/QUOTE]

in 500+ games played in MLB catching Salty had about 46 PB, and if you average out the Wakefileld year, he realistically has about 29. 162 were considered WP

in 1650 games AJ has 87 and 581 were considered WP

salty played about 1/3 the games AJ has, so it seems they are almost identical defensively

AJ has been the better offensive player, but lets hope that last years slight dropoff in some categories wasnt a tred. He is 37 afterall.

I think hes the guy you love to hate, like Gomes. Love him when hes on your team, hate him if hes not. Sometimes those are the best guys to have. I think he will be just fine here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 110%. I also do think you need to add his personality into this equation too. I mean yeah the guy wants to win and does it at all costs. But he doesn't exactly seem like the fun lovable laid back type.

[/QUOTE]

I hope he is not the next Bobby Valentine or even "Valentine light". I am not so concerned about his production or lack thereof as his personality.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope he is not the next Bobby Valentine or even "Valentine light". I am not so concerned about his production or lack thereof as his personality.

[/QUOTE]

Valentine is insane. I don't think people are saying AJ is insane.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i was going to mention his personality but we don't really know how his attitude will mesh with the rest of the clubhouse. We know he's not magically going to start working the counts. i was just trying to deal in the most relevant scope.

people say that Lackey and Peavy are grouches with bad attitudes but it all just depends on how they mix with the rest of the team. So until i hear otherwise, i refuse to comment on his attitude because it's totally dependant on how receptive the rest of the team is of it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

If Ben, with all of his research on this guy, is pleased and thinks that he will fit in just fine, I am believing in Ben without one blink.  Ben may not be perfect, but he has certainly earned our respect, and he is going to be right with AJP.

We have all seen guys that we do not like on the other team and then find them more than just OK when they have joined our team.

He is going to be just fine in a Red Sox uniform.  He turned out to be cheaper than the 9 M the team was going to give to Saltalamacchia, and is only signed for one year which will open the door for either of the two young guys in 2015.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I do find it interesting that not one member of the Fielding Bible panel gave him a top 10 vote.  Twenty catchers received votes (including Salty with 4 pts) but none for AJP.  He did rankk 22nd in Runs Saved among regulars last year with a -3.  For comparison's sake Salty was 27th with -6 and McCann was tied for 17th-21st with -2.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do find it interesting that not one member of the Fielding Bible panel gave him a top 10 vote.  Twenty catchers received votes (including Salty with 4 pts) but none for AJP.  He did rankk 22nd in Runs Saved among regulars last year with a -3.  For comparison's sake Salty was 27th with -6 and McCann was tied for 17th-21st with -2.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't think about that... good point.  All I need to really know about his defense is that he caught for the White Sox when they won a world series and has almost identical defensive metrics to Ross.  Do you have a link to what you are referencing?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Might have to duck tape his mouth. Glad it's only one year..... Maybe he'll get hurt.

'll

[/QUOTE]
    don't hold back don! tell em how you really feel.....................Maybe he'll get hurt????? wow!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to fizsh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I didn't think about that... good point.  All I need to really know about his defense is that he caught for the White Sox when they won a world series and has almost identical defensive metrics to Ross.  Do you have a link to what you are referencing?

[/QUOTE]

Here is the link for the Fielding Bible voting.

http://www.fieldingbible.com/complete-votetally.asp

As for the runs saved data, I got that from the Bill James Handbook.  I actually got the Fielding Bible voting from the Handbook as well, but found the link to the voting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

I think that he will do just fine for one year. As far as hitting in the lineup I hope he will hit behind Ortiz unless we trade for the Dodger outfielder.

Sections
Shortcuts