Predictions about the "fit" of our new catcher ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Predictions about the

OPS and age:

Salty:

26  .737

27  .742

28  .804

AJ Pierzynski

34  .728

35  .827

36  .722

In the 10 years since 2004, AJ's OPS has only been over ...

.800 once

.730 just three times

Who has the better chance of hitting over .730 in 2014?

Over .800?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

rather have salty @ 3/21 than AJP for any contract.

from what i read, AJP is better defensively but is not a fit at all with this team in terms of offensive ability. He only drew four -4- walks all season in 2013. his P/PA was also bottom of the barrell.

The sox offense was so great last season because everyone 1-9 worked the counts. we had 10 (if you count Iggy) qualified players in the top 100 in P/PA (Napoli was #1). With an offensive philosophy like that you are only as strong as your weakest link and AJP is soggy bread in that category.

Not only is Salty much better than AJP, but he is younger, entering his prime and signed to an affordable deal that can EASILY be moved in a year or two if a catching prospect emerges.

I agree with you 110%. I also do think you need to add his personality into this equation too. I mean yeah the guy wants to win and does it at all costs. But he doesn't exactly seem like the fun lovable laid back type.

I hope he is not the next Bobby Valentine or even "Valentine light". I am not so concerned about his production or lack thereof as his personality.

Valentine is insane. I don't think people are saying AJ is insane.

To be fair, I didn't think Valentine was insane, until he got to Boston.

I just thought BV was a bad fit.

I'm glad the AJ contract is for one year only.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

he will end up being a fan favorite by the AS break.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

he will end up being a fan favorite by the AS break.

It's certainly possible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

from what i read, AJP is better defensively but is not a fit at all with this team in terms of offensive ability. He only drew four -4- walks all season in 2013. his P/PA was also bottom of the barrell.

The sox offense was so great last season because everyone 1-9 worked the counts. we had 10 (if you count Iggy) qualified players in the top 100 in P/PA (Napoli was #1). With an offensive philosophy like that you are only as strong as your weakest link and AJP is soggy bread in that category.

Not only is Salty much better than AJP, but he is younger, entering his prime and signed to an affordable deal that can EASILY be moved in a year or two if a catching prospect emerges.

Yeah, well, we don't have Salty any more. So the issue becomes how well AJ will play for us, not a comparison of those two players. I think Salty is an overall better choice too, for the record, but as I said, he is gone. I am concerned the AJ will open his mouth and misbehave like Valentine light here. I am glad he is here for only one year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yeah, well, we don't have Salty any more. So the issue becomes how well AJ will play for us, not a comparison of those two players. I think Salty is an overall better choice too, for the record, but as I said, he is gone. I am concerned the AJ will open his mouth and misbehave like Valentine light here. I am glad he is here for only one year.

I don't get that.  AJ is a hot-head competitor, but he isn't a lunatic or someone who blabbers to media.  If he has hot-head issues, it will be on the field or in the clubhouse, and I get the sense that this clubhouse knows how to integrate a fiery competitor like AJ just fine.  Doubt anyones toes get stepped on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

I really do not see it being an upgrade or a downgrade.  Seems like a lateral move where we get some more financial freedom in a year when Vasquez may be ready.  Think long term people....not just this season.  After this season Dempster and AJ are off the books.  The money saved will enable us to retain Lester long term and sign Papi for maybe a year by year deal (alla Wake) without spending much more (if any) cash then we are now. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I don't get that.  AJ is a hot-head competitor, but he isn't a lunatic or someone who blabbers to media.  If he has hot-head issues, it will be on the field or in the clubhouse, and I get the sense that this clubhouse knows how to integrate a fiery competitor like AJ just fine.  Doubt anyones toes get stepped on.

I am not sure exactly what he did to warrant being voted baseball's premier horse's azz, but he was. My guess is that he will get himself into hot water this year a few times and that his production will not be as good as Salty's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am not sure exactly what he did to warrant being voted baseball's premier horse's azz, but he was. My guess is that he will get himself into hot water this year a few times and that his production will not be as good as Salty's.

Yeah, he certainly has a reputation.  However, it is for his competetive horses azzness.  His issues have never really been with the media, which is where the problem in boston lies.  He won't engender controversy by whipping up media frenzies.  In fact, he is the type of guy the Boston media actually seems to embrace:  hard-nosed, non-pampered, all that.  Like I said, his rep comes from opposing players and sometimes guys on his team.  But, I really think the Sox culture, as of last year, is the right place for him.  Thick-skinned competitors.  Now if this was 2011 or 2012, yeah, he could potentially be a much-feareed "clubhouse cancer".  But, in the new Sox world, he is just another hard-nosed gamer.  Pedey will chuckle with love in his heart if AJ mouths off to him in the clubhouse after a loss.

As for his production, yeah I totally agree he will not produce as well as Salty, though I think he is a better catcher.  But it is not Salty vs. AJ production in a vacuum.  It is through the lens of contracts.  They didn't re-up Salty because he wanted a 3 year deal and the Sox have some near-ready great catching prospects so they didnt want to tie up moneys where they have homegrown talent ready to step in.  So they hired AJ as a bridge, not a straight up replacement.  But I agree, he is an offensive downgrade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Yeah, he certainly has a reputation.  However, it is for his competetive horses azzness.  His issues have never really been with the media, which is where the problem in boston lies.  He won't engender controversy by whipping up media frenzies.  In fact, he is the type of guy the Boston media actually seems to embrace:  hard-nosed, non-pampered, all that.  Like I said, his rep comes from opposing players and sometimes guys on his team.  But, I really think the Sox culture, as of last year, is the right place for him.  Thick-skinned competitors.  Now if this was 2011 or 2012, yeah, he could potentially be a much-feareed "clubhouse cancer".  But, in the new Sox world, he is just another hard-nosed gamer.  Pedey will chuckle with love in his heart if AJ mouths off to him in the clubhouse after a loss.

As for his production, yeah I totally agree he will not produce as well as Salty, though I think he is a better catcher.  But it is not Salty vs. AJ production in a vacuum.  It is through the lens of contracts.  They didn't re-up Salty because he wanted a 3 year deal and the Sox have some near-ready great catching prospects so they didnt want to tie up moneys where they have homegrown talent ready to step in.  So they hired AJ as a bridge, not a straight up replacement.  But I agree, he is an offensive downgrade.

As others here have said, they could have given Salty a 3 year contract then traded him after a year or two if our younger catchers were still on track. So far we have downgraded at catcher and likely have downgraded at CF. Where do we make up for the production?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i think you will change your mind the moment he tells McCann to stop watching the ball and run around the bases before he takes his koho and shoves it down his throat.  well, that was herb brooks line....but you get the point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

As others here have said, they could have given Salty a 3 year contract then traded him after a year or two if our younger catchers were still on track. So far we have downgraded at catcher and likely have downgraded at CF. Where do we make up for the production?

An interesting question.  One which I do not have an answer for.  But also one which doesn't make me sweat too much.  Ellsbury is impossible to replace. Period.  But then, he spent a month out of commission last year, and only really got Jacobified for a month or so.  Yes, if we were to open the season making no further moves (I doubt that), it does put the onus on Bradley to take what he learned in his extended cups o coffee last year and turn into a bona fide major leaguer.  If he can, then it mitigates the loss.  And, while Salty did do some resume gaudy things like set club record for doubles by a catcher, its not like he was Carton Fisk.  I mean, he was benched in the World Series.  Its not like Salty to AJ is Fisk to Gary Allenson.  Its a slight downgrade.  Right now, as constructed, not even considering unknown that I think are plusses like Boegarts being an upgrade, yes, the Sox offense is less than it was a year ago.  But, the offense was a juggernaut last year, so, even with a little downgrade, it is still a pretty darn dangerous offense.

Not saying we don't want to reinforce or make it better if possible.  But, I don't think signing Salty to 3 years and then having to trade him to make room, or signing Choo or who have you long-term are worth it when the offense is so far from a problem.

Sections
Shortcuts