Preimium Contract not Premium Player

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Preimium Contract not Premium Player

In response to softlaw2's comment:

“We’re certainly not taking away from what Jose has done, but we signed a premium guy in the offseason to be our starting shortstop and we’re not going to look at an injury to cause him to lose his job,” Farrell said.

A. S. Drew is a double time reject in the dumspter veteran player

B. His best season was a long time ago

C. In his best season, he was never a premium hitter

D. He's always been a non-premium defensive SS

E. Manager John is taking away from what Iglesias with this team has done

F. Iglesias was better in spring training, before Drew was hit in the head

G. S. Drew has never done anything to earn the starting SS with the Red Sox, in spring training, his last years, for any team.

H. Manager John saying "we signed a premium guy" is an admission that performance and merit have nothing to do with the allocation of playing time

I. Management made a mistake paying 10 million dollars premium for a has been veteran SS, when they already had Iglesias and Ciriaco at a much better value and with much better defensive capability and the proven at the MLB ability to produce plate appearances in the same weak profile that is retread veteran reject injury damaged goods S. Drew

J. If Red Sox management was professional, they would look at the merit, look at the start the team is off to, and force S. Drew to the bench where he'll get his chance to actually earn premium playing time for a premium contract player. They should DFA Carp, whose done nothing and offers nothing, and put Drew on the depth chart as back-up SS and backup 1st baseman (don't tell me he can't play backup first base better than Carp!). If Ortiz and his premium contract ever come off the paid while not working list, they should then use Nava's last option to park him in AAA until Ortiz goes back down to the "I'm washed up and broken down list and playing cards with A-Roid" list, and until Drew gets enough time to prove why he was never able to earn the starting SS in the first place and management gets to find out if he's a team player or just an overpaid whiner who is simply auditioning for another contract. If Drew earns the job, unlikely, they can then use him in that bench role if he doesn't pout and whine to his agent about it. But if he does, they can put him the doghouse for mop-up game duty until they find a team who loses a SS with long term injury and write some of that stupid contract off or, if no team has such a middle infield injury, they can write it all off and get back a farm scrap to give management something to use for PR spin

K. Managment needs to stop signing overpriced FA's and ignoring performance like they planned to do with Bradley, when allocating playing time and filling roster spots.

L. If Management makes a mistake or a FA signee gets hurt and another player outperforms him, make the playing time and roster decision based on the merits, not the size of the contract

M. Managment needs to be professional and not let embarrassment of having a 10 million free agent new guy acquisition sitting on the bench in his new bench role and/or awaiting a 'trade"

N. "nuff this nonsense, I'm tired of this mickey mouse managment "premium guy" nonsense. Play the best players based on the merits of their performance, and, not, not based on what some guy did years ago before two other teams threw him in the "we aint payin' for that guy anymore" dumpster! 

Lets give Drew a chance to actually PLAY for us before judging his performance. No, he is not going to be an all star. Neither is Iggy. I want to see what Drew can do for us before we decide he is nothing more than pine fodder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Q:  When have you ever seen Softy reconsider something or admit he was wrong?  A:  Never.  

This is his Drew story and he's sticking to it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

“We’re certainly not taking away from what Jose has done, but we signed a premium guy in the offseason to be our starting shortstop and we’re not going to look at an injury to cause him to lose his job,” Farrell said.

G. S. Drew has never done anything to earn the starting SS with the Red Sox, in spring training, his last years, for any team.

H. Manager John saying "we signed a premium guy" is an admission that performance and merit have nothing to do with the allocation of playing time

I. Management made a mistake paying 10 million dollars premium for a has been veteran SS, when they already had Iglesias and Ciriaco at a much better value and with much better defensive capability and the proven at the MLB ability to produce plate appearances in the same weak profile that is retread veteran reject injury damaged goods S. Drew

J. If Red Sox management was professional, they would look at the merit, look at the start the team is off to, and force S. Drew to the bench where he'll get his chance to actually earn premium playing time for a premium contract player. They should DFA Carp, whose done nothing and offers nothing, and put Drew on the depth chart as back-up SS and backup 1st baseman (don't tell me he can't play backup first base better than Carp!). If Ortiz and his premium contract ever come off the paid while not working list, they should then use Nava's last option to park him in AAA until Ortiz goes back down to the "I'm washed up and broken down list and playing cards with A-Roid" list, and until Drew gets enough time to prove why he was never able to earn the starting SS in the first place and management gets to find out if he's a team player or just an overpaid whiner who is simply auditioning for another contract. If Drew earns the job, unlikely, they can then use him in that bench role if he doesn't pout and whine to his agent about it. But if he does, they can put him the doghouse for mop-up game duty until they find a team who loses a SS with long term injury and write some of that stupid contract off or, if no team has such a middle infield injury, they can write it all off and get back a farm scrap to give management something to use for PR spin

K. Managment needs to stop signing overpriced FA's and ignoring performance like they planned to do with Bradley, when allocating playing time and filling roster spots.

L. If Management makes a mistake or a FA signee gets hurt and another player outperforms him, make the playing time and roster decision based on the merits, not the size of the contract

M. Managment needs to be professional and not let embarrassment of having a 10 million free agent new guy acquisition sitting on the bench in his new bench role and/or awaiting a 'trade"

N. "nuff this nonsense, I'm tired of this mickey mouse managment "premium guy" nonsense. Play the best players based on the merits of their performance, and, not, not based on what some guy did years ago before two other teams threw him in the "we aint payin' for that guy anymore" dumpster! 

Ehhhhhh.......  I stopped reading at "We're".......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Hey Soft......  remember when you said this:

"Bill, love you to death"....

That was awesome.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I actually agree with you.  This is basically what I said when they signed Drew.  It meant that Iggy probably wouldn't get a fair shot.  However, it's too bad that you can't voice your opinion without your typical long-winded vitriol.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

I actually agree with you.  This is basically what I said when they signed Drew.  It meant that Iggy probably wouldn't get a fair shot.  However, it's too bad that you can't voice your opinion without your typical long-winded vitriol.

It's all he knows......no idea why I would waste my time reading something like that in my spare time.....  even more importantly....why would ANYBODY waste that much of their free time writing all of that??!!  ........unless all they have is free time......Hmmmmmmmmmm

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

It's all he knows......no idea why I would waste my time reading something like that in my spare time.....  even more importantly....why would ANYBODY waste that much of their free time writing all of that??!!  ........unless all they have is free time......Hmmmmmmmmmm

It wasn't free time.  Remember, he's allegedly a lawyer.  I'm sure he charged someone for the time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

It wasn't free time.  Remember, he's allegedly a lawyer.  I'm sure he charged someone for the time.

A Lawyer??????  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah.....I don't think so.... probably another lie.....

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Wow, not one metion of Jacoby Ellsbury!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I stopped reading at "

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It's really hard to argue with the facts.

Drew should never have been signed.

It is another waste of money by a front office that hasn't learned it's lesson yet.

Perhaps Drew is one of those players the front office was ordered to get in a lame attempt to boost ratings, you know, the soap opera factor, "let's tune in and see if J.D.'s brother is going to be as big of a bust as J.D. was."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

This is scary. I pretty much agree with softlaw's philosophy. I came to the same conclusion long ago. Play your best, regardless of what they are paid. I have never found a direct, positive correlation between salary and performance in any field. Actual performance is the ultimate measure and always should be.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Perhaps Drew is one of those players the front office was ordered to get in a lame attempt to boost ratings, you know, the soap opera factor, "let's tune in and see if J.D.'s brother is going to be as big of a bust as J.D. was."

Due respect Z, but this doesn't make sense. Drew is hardly a "sexy" player.

The fact is Iggy showed nothing last year to indicate he could be adequate this year at the plate. Maybe they should have signed someone cheaper, but they had to bring in someone.

What would everyone say if Iggy was given the job (aren't players supposed to earn it) and even with this start, was batting .125 at the end of the month? The fans would turn on Iggy and rip the front office for not being better prepared at the position.

At this point, I'd like to see Drew stay out longer for a couple of weeks to really see what Iggy can do. But if Drew gets the job back, I'll root for him to have an All-Star like season. It will increase his trade value and at worst -- help the team win games.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

When I saw "Premium Contract"---I knew it had to be directed at Drew, ShaVic, Gomes, Ells, Dempster, Ortiz,Nap, Salty---they must be bad dudes because they are making "all" that money.

Haven't heard those complaints thrown at JH or TW...he knows better. Softy law you must be retired like many of us on this forum-----most could care less how much the Sox payroll is. I would rather see the players get the money than the owners---wouldn't you Softy? You know ticket prices won't come down---so pay these kids that are out there with young families that are entertaining us about 200 games a year.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I stopped reading at "

HAHAHA!!!!! 

Sections
Shortcuts