Preimium Contract not Premium Player

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Preimium Contract not Premium Player

In response to softlaw2's comment:

But the age of VMart who softy wanted to mostly catch until Papi retired, was not a factor.

No, mostly to play 1st base, then to DH and replace Ortiz who has no business being under contract for 2014. VMart isn't an OF'er or old washed up catcher like Varitek. VMart is a gifted pure hitter who would have been perfect to play 1st and DH, and backup catcher.

David Ortiz OPS for 2012: 1.026 and .953 in 2011. Easy guy to replace. Lots of such DHs out there with similar talent, right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

But the age of VMart who softy wanted to mostly catch until Papi retired, was not a factor.

No, mostly to play 1st base, then to DH and replace Ortiz who has no business being under contract for 2014. VMart isn't an OF'er or old washed up catcher like Varitek. VMart is a gifted pure hitter who would have been perfect to play 1st and DH, and backup catcher.

OLD! OLD! OLD!  A player isnt old when its a player that softy wants.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I would not have used the word "premium" as Farrell did. I would have used "adequate". Drew is not a premium player, nor is he being paid like one.

Truth is hard to hide. Drew is being paid as a premium contract player, which is why the plan is to just gift him the starting SS job. The A's wanted nothing to do with one year's worth of cost for damaged goods S. Drew.

Yea thats why they traded for S.Drew RIGHT softy. Cuz they didnt want him.. They tried all winter to re-sign the guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No, after we got AGon, you argued that VMart could still catch until papi retired. Just man up, dude.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

What about Berkman at $11M?

What about Shane at 13M?

You guys are good, Red Sox management made great market value moves to get S. Drew and Shane and Dumpster, I mean that bulldog Dempster.

S. Drew is being paid in line or less than others, so it had to be a good solid value and necessary move.

Why dont you stop pretending to be a Red Sox Fan Softy and just go root for your Boyfriend duo, the upton brothers and the braves. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

What about Shane at 13M?

You guys are good, Red Sox management made great market value moves to get S. Drew and Shane and Dumpster, I mean that bulldog Dempster.

S. Drew is being paid in line or less than others, so it had to be a good solid value and necessary move.

Victorino was the worst signing of the offseason because its for three years. Drew is being paid appropriately and obtaining a SS was necessary because the FO did not trust that Iggy could hit well enough to be in the ML. And Drew is gone in two years anyway. Dumpster was also a bad signing and by the end of the year will likely be the #5 SP with an ERA near 5.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

because the FO did not trust that Iggy could hit well enough to be in the ML. And Drew is gone in two years anyway

Drew wasn't hitting well enough to be in the major leagues after he broke his wheel and before he broke his crown. Managment had Ciriaco and Iglesias, and getting washed up veteran SS are like finding trash on a highway.

The last year Drew was able to play in more than 86 games he had an OPS of .810. Lets assume the Red Sox, like many of us, are not yet convinced the Iglesias is ready for the ML. Who else would you have acquired as a SS for this team?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

No, you are truly someone who has nothing to your empty claim that "they tried to sign him all winter". The winter had barely even started, if it all, when Cherry incompetently paid way above the market for bad wheel Drew.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/06/as-stephen-drew-talking-one-year-deal-with-player-option/

Drew was Signed by the red sox on December 17.. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

They tried all winter to re-sign the guy.

In fact, they didn't try to re-sign this monthly rental guy, at all.

Would you like to revise your BS statement Softy??

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Tonight's game is also on the MLB Network.

great

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

No, but you need to revise yours. The Red Sox signed S. Drew in the fall, so your claim that "the A's tried to sign him all winter" is prevarication or delusion or incompetence or all three.

I might have exaggerated that point a little, but the A's still did make an effort to bring back drew. And ill even go one farther and say that the tigers where also intrested in bringing on drew. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I might have exaggerated that point a little

Just a little. Look, let's just a agree to disagree on Drew as a "premium guy" instead of a "premium contract" that managment is now trying to force feed in the lineup when he comes off the DL.

Red Sox are 2-0 and Bradley and Iglesias have created the very new image buzz I've talked about for a long time. Let's simply appreciate it and agree to disagree on S. Drew.

Will you then admit Ellsbury has been the Sox best player over the past two games?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

I might have exaggerated that point a little

Just a little. Look, let's just a agree to disagree on Drew as a "premium guy" instead of a "premium contract" that managment is now trying to force feed in the lineup when he comes off the DL.

Red Sox are 2-0 and Bradley and Iglesias have created the very new image buzz I've talked about for a long time. Let's simply appreciate it and agree to disagree on S. Drew.

Softy if you had bothered to read my posts carefully, I never said in the first place ANYWHERE that drew was a "Premium Guy" . I disagreed with you on the point that the contract Drew got was a "Premium Contract" From the very beginning. To me a Premium contract is a guy making 20 mill for 5 years plus. Ive always thought drew was an above average to good SS and i think the contract he got reflects that. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Your first mistake was "let's assume Iglesias wasn't ready". Your second mistake was assuming that Ciriaco wasn't able to play SS everyday. Your third mistake was assuming that S. Drew for 10 million was the only realistic FA or trade veteran SS acquistition.

I've said, for the last two years, that Iglesias was ready, even if his OBP was .200. Red Sox managment is incompetent in understanding how to properly value an everyday SS. Drew is proof of that, as well as their other lame attempts to produce a slugging farm SS.

That is where we disagree. I do not think that Iglesias has proven that he can hit the baseball well enough to play in the major leagues. You do. Fair enough. Ciriaco is the backup IF, not the starting SS. If he is the regular everyday SS, who is the backup IF? Not Drew; he is aSS only.

Regardless of how either of us feel, the Red Sox management is going to send him down as soon as Drew is ready to play for the team. I am not one who believes our management is particularly competent, but I do think that they got this one right. Credit where credit is due. As soon as Iglesias can consistently hit the baseball at the AAA level (minimum of 250 PAs) he should be brought up to play SS for the Red Sox.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What about Shane at 13M?

softy, get real. You know full well I was and still am against the Drew, Victorino and Dempster signings. Just because I point out some flaws in your arguments, does not mean I have changed my views.

Drew was grossly overpaid, and we did not need him, even at near a minimum wage salary.

Stop misrepresenting my views. It weakens your credibility on a winning argument that doesn't need hyperbole, wrong data, and personal attacks to support the obvious truth: Iggy is better than Drew.

Sections
Shortcuts