Preimium Contract not Premium Player

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Preimium Contract not Premium Player

In response to softlaw2's comment:

They tried all winter to re-sign the guy.

In fact, they didn't try to re-sign this monthly rental guy, at all.

The A's are on a restricted budget. My guess is, they wanted Drew, but not at even half of what the Sox paid him... along with several other low budget teams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

What about Berkman at $11M?

What about Shane at 13M?

You guys are good, Red Sox management made great market value moves to get S. Drew and Shane and Dumpster, I mean that bulldog Dempster.

S. Drew is being paid in line or less than others, so it had to be a good solid value and necessary move.

softy, get real. You know full well I was and still am against the Drew, Victorino and Dempster signings. Just because I point out some flaws in your arguments, does not mean I have changed my views.

Drew was grossly overpaid, and we did not need him, even at near a minimum wage salary.

Stop misrepresenting my views. It weakens your credibility on a winning argument that doesn't need hyperbole, wrong data, and personal attacks to support the obvious truth: Iggy is better than Drew.

defensively he is. Offensively he isnt.

Drew is basically almost an .800OPS SS in MLB before the injury. Iggy is a low 600OPS guy in the minor leagues.

It depends what you value more between offense and defense and if the difference is worth it either way.

Now, I have all the confidence in Iggy as Ive stated many times, when most here said he will never hit in MLB. Iggy gave The Sox no reason to believe he would hit well enought this year. (to their standards, not yours or mine) So they signed Drew who is a proven MLB SS to fill in for at the most, one year.

Some here may think Iggys offense doesnt matter because of his defense, and you have the right to that opinion. Obviously the Sox would like him to be a little better offensively. Iggy has looked much better this year and Im sure he was informed what will happen when Drew returns. If he goes to AAA and is successful there, then a decision can be made to trade Drew. This situation has obviously made him work harder and it has shown. IMO, he will be fine and soon enough will be the starting SS here.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Offensively he isnt.

Iglesias is hitting .583 against CC, Pettite et al.

So, what's Iggy's "median average"?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

While I don't always agree with Softy's posts, his A through N items do make a valid point.  Farrell needs to stop referring to people as a "premium" guy until proven.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Before getting too carried away with Farrell's comment about Drew, let's wait and see how his rehab games go.  No one knows for sure yet if he is actually out of the woods since the head injury.  Too early to tell if he will have problems with hand-eye coordination, dizziness, blurred vision, crowd noise, balance, etc., when trying to play in real-game situations.  The debate over who should emerge as the starter for Red Sox should be secondary to being concerned for Drew's health.  For now, we should be hoping for complete recovery for a red sox player who suffered a serious head injury.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Speedy recovery to Drew.  If he gets back to pre-2011 form and Iggy's offense is even at less than half the current pace, we have two solid players at the position -- good for the team, whether sharing the position or trading one for assets that make the team stronger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Offensively he isnt.

Iglesias is hitting .583 against CC, Pettite et al.

I have a better idea. Let's send Drew to AAA rehap to see if he hits well enough to earn a bench spot.

nice 3 game sample size champ. keep up the "good" work.

9. This post has been removed.